shape
carat
color
clarity

Has anyone done/is anyone doing intermittent fasting?

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
I completely understand. Sugar is addictive. If I fall off the wagon, it's into the abyss and the climb back out is difficult.
Yeah, that stuff is like crack.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
House Cat, thanks for posting that. I had read something in passing about the brains looking similar. Unreal how the majority of mice chose sugar over coke.
yikes2.gif
And even more unreal that the powers that be seem to want to put it in everything, even where it has absolutely no business at all...

House Cat

Ideal_Rock
Premium
House Cat, thanks for posting that. I had read something in passing about the brains looking similar. Unreal how the majority of mice chose sugar over coke.
yikes2.gif
And even more unreal that the powers that be seem to want to put it in everything, even where it has absolutely no business at all...
Ellen, sugar is big business. I really liked the movie Fed Up. There is also the movie Food Inc that really goes into the subject of the business of food and how they are doing what is most profitable not what is best for us.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
I was able to eat all my meals in 8.5 hours. I'm hungry! I admit it wasn't completely clean eating but I did have a salad for both lunch and dinner.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ellen, sugar is big business. I really liked the movie Fed Up. There is also the movie Food Inc that really goes into the subject of the business of food and how they are doing what is most profitable not what is best for us.
Oh, I know. :nono: It's just unreal that they not only do it, but get away with it. For now anyway. And that "big business" leads to another big business. Big Pharma. Because all that sugar ends up making a lot of people fat and sick. It's a well known fact that sugar feeds Cancer.... I will check out the documentary mentions. Can't say I will watch all of them though, as the whole thing makes me sick, and angry.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
I was able to eat all my meals in 8.5 hours. I'm hungry! I admit it wasn't completely clean eating but I did have a salad for both lunch and dinner.
:appl: There ya go! That's really good at a first attempt T. Just keep trying. And, if you can cut out most junk (floury/sugary) products, and incorporate more protein and fat, you will be satiated for much longer periods! Either putting them in your salad or just as a meal.

I know changing an eating style habit is hard, but if you keep at it, it does get easier and easier. ;)) Keep us posted!

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks for your encouragement Ellen. Tomorrow will be the real test. It will be much harder at work. I'm used to eating breakfast at 7. Because I do direct patient care, I won't be able to eat until 10:45 or so. Uggg. Skipping dinner is not really an option because of my daughter. I think family dinners are really important but I have been trying to cut carbs out after lunch.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks for your encouragement Ellen. Tomorrow will be the real test. It will be much harder at work. I'm used to eating breakfast at 7. Because I do direct patient care, I won't be able to eat until 10:45 or so. Uggg. Skipping dinner is not really an option because of my daughter. I think family dinners are really important but I have been trying to cut carbs out after lunch.
Absolutely. I don't think you should ever miss that if you don't have to. Just do the best you can. ;)2

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I finished reading Complete Guide to Fasting by Dr Fung. Lots of good info. I'm going to do 16-8 with no food after 6pm as that would be easiest meal for me to skip. I always end up eating dinner very late and that could be screwing up my insulin.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
It's a great book, isn't it?

I wish you much success. Do let us know how it goes!

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've done 2 weeks of 16-8 with no eating after 6pm during work week. Weekends are more relaxed as we usually have friends over for dinner. As I expected, it's pretty easy for me to stick to this plan but I do go to bed hungry.

The biggest change so far is much less bloating by the end of the day and my pants fit better around the waist so I'm pretty happy with that. I weighed myself today and lost 2 pounds. Was hoping for more. I plan to continue for now and work up to full day fast.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
I've done 2 weeks of 16-8 with no eating after 6pm during work week. Weekends are more relaxed as we usually have friends over for dinner. As I expected, it's pretty easy for me to stick to this plan but I do go to bed hungry.

The biggest change so far is much less bloating by the end of the day and my pants fit better around the waist so I'm pretty happy with that. I weighed myself today and lost 2 pounds. Was hoping for more. I plan to continue for now and work up to full day fast.
I feel your pain! I'm now at now at 5 weeks and I've lost one. :lol: :cry2: I hope that makes you feel better, truly. ;)) However, I have read so much about IF, and there ARE people who don't see the scale go down, but DO see dress sizes go down. So don't get too hung up on the numbers, though I know that's hard to do!

And I'm wondering what you're eating (lots of carbs?) or how much (too little), as you should not be hungry when you go to bed....In fact, the longer you go, it should get easier to go several hours without eating. But if there are lots of simple/processed carbs in your diet, that won't be the case. Hang in there though, and remember this is good for more than weight loss, which I keep reminding myself of as well.

And thanks for the update!

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for the encouragement, Ellen. I think the hunger is more of a habit than what I'm eating. Dr Fung talks about this eating every 3 hours concept that's been in vogue lately and it takes time to reset hunger cues. I've been snacking too much and eating too late for the past couple years so it'll be a while before my body adjusts.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Gotcha! ;)2

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
I find this truly fascinating, and would love to hear any and all opinions as to why this might be happening.

I'm not sure how many of you know or remember that my middle son has been suffering with anxiety (for the most part) and depression (hard to say how much, but think it's more anxiety) for a number of years. But about a little over 3 years ago, he had an episode he calls a breakdown. He has been trying to recover from that, totally changed his eating, which was awful to way better than I can even do. Talk about discipline. Has drank on and off only since the episode, but has not in a few months now. Takes a cocktail of natural supplements which definitely help, and has started riding/running/exercising. All have helped to a definite degree, but only so much. What has not changed that started since the episode, is that he cries, many times a day. He doesn't even know about what, just has to cry, out of nowhere. No stopping it. And I don't mean some tears streaming down, I mean all out sobbing.

So, I had given him one of my books by Dr. Fung. Told him to just give it a glance and see what he thought. Long story short, he began more less doing the 16/8 at first for a few weeks. Now he tried 2 days in a row going with no food and got all the way to midnight, broke down and ate a meal. So he went 2 whole days with two meals, and now is nearing day 3 with no food at all (so day 5 total of trying). And, he hasn't cried once.
hmmm.gif
:appl: But why? What is "good" food doing that he still cries? Is his gut in such a state that it still can't handle even good food? Does he have some sensitivity to a food/multiple foods? Perplexing. He's also not a stiff as normal, and his joints aren't popping and cracking like normal.

I am so thrilled for him, but I am like yeah, but you just can't fast forever.... Thoughts?

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks M, I will check it out.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Interesting read.

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Ellen...THANKYOUTHANKYOUTHANKYOUTHANKYOUTHANKYOUTHANKYOUTHANKYOU for starting this thread. I'm into a 6 from an 18, down 60 lbs, within 5-10 lbs of goal weight and will start working out with a trainer Jan. 3 to get to goal and try to firm up body parts that have abdicated their power to gravity. It's such a delight here on PS when someone asks a simple question and it turns into a life changing experience for others. I am deeply grateful to you for the info you provided throughout this discussion.
Screen Shot 2018-12-23 at 1.20.17 PM.png

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Awww, thank YOU Matata, for the kind words. You have literally made my day, seriously. Nothing makes me happier than helping people.
Uhhuh.gif

Wow, you have made quite an impressive transformation!! Pat yoself on the back girl. I just gave you the tools, you are the one who put them to use.
hi501.gif
Way to go. And, I had to laugh at the " body parts that have abdicated their power to gravity". :bigsmile: ;))

Thanks again for giving the update. And not just for me, but others reading. Maybe it will spur someone else on. I know it has renewed my desire. I have slipped a bit, though I've not really gained anything, I just have not lost. It's such a battle with the sweets, but I am so sick of being where I am. I'm really hoping after the new year to get serious and stay serious.
paddle.gif

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It wasn’t possible in August due to work travel but I restarted in September. Lost 8 lbs in 4 months without a change in diet (including holiday functions) or exercise. It’s a bit slow but it’s definitely reducing whereas I struggled so much in the past.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks for the update Chrono, I was wondering if anyone else was still doing it.

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congrats Matata! What a great way to enter into the holidays and then into 2019!

I barely started IF early Fall then got off track ... you have inspired me to choose health and restart ...

Happy holidays everyone!

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Matata, I was telling one of my boys about your transformation and I realized I wasn't sure if you had done the whole thing on OMAD and no working out. So if you could clarify that I would appreciate it.

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wasn't sure if you had done the whole thing on OMAD and no working out. So if you could clarify that I would appreciate it.
I ate OMAD starting day 3 on the fast at the beginning of August. Started to do light workouts approx. 1.5 months into the process and I was down 20 lbs. at that point -- CDs at home -- Zumba, Hip Hop Abs etc -- 30-45 minutes/day. At the end of November I joined the gym and started light weights and added more cardio via the elliptical. All my workouts are fasted. My caloric intake per day varies between 400-600 and I eat every 20-22 hrs. I eat chicken, fish, eggs, veggies/salad, salami, cheese, multi-grain crackers, pumpkin & sunflower seeds, walnuts & almonds, avocado, and a small portion of carb usually in the form of sweet potato. Ezekial bread only. I go out with friends once per week and eat whatever I want as well as consume some alcohol.

My trainer said I'll have to consistently take in more calories once we begin his program -- between 1200-1400/day. I worked with him a few years ago; he's excellent and will literally whip me into shape. He's a bodybuilder and competes. I'm nervous about the increase in calories but I know that's the only way to build lean muscle at this point. I'll keep the 16/8 schedule and intend to continue fasted workouts unless it becomes physically detrimental.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
400 to 600 cals per day isn’t much.

Dandi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have just started IF! I've kind of been doing 16/8 without realising it...mornings are busy with kinder runs, then ballet, grocery shopping etc. I rarely manage to eat before 12 midday anyway, and now that I have done a bit of reading (and happily found this thread!) I'm consciously making it a 'thing' that I will now do (or try to do) every day. Even after a week I'm astounded at the lack of brain fog, no bloating, and generally just feeling good and with more energy. Handy with very busy 2 and 6 year olds!

I gave up bread after having my daughter, and minimised sugar to greek yoghurt, fruit, and two pieces of 90% dark chocolate a day, if that, that said I'm not a huge sweet tooth, but I don't deny myself dessert on special occasions...helloooooo cheesecake! :drool: That was almost 3 years ago, and she breastfed like a machine, and only stopped a a couple of months ago (2 years and 9 months), so the weight absolutely fell off me post partum. I was back to my pre-baby weight and even minus about 7 kgs, within a couple of months of having her. But some weight has slowly crept back on since she turned 2, and I think my biggest downfall is eating after dinner. In the week since cracking down on no food after 8pm, I'm actually amazed at how little food I actually feel I need. Plus I think I was doing a lot of habitual eating...it's mealtime, so I eat, even if I don't really feel hungry.

I don't want to give up dinner, it's rare one-on-one time with hubby after he arrives home from work at 6:30pm. I used to cook our food after the kids were in bed (7pm) and found we weren't sitting down to eat until 8-8:30pm, and then having a cup of camomile tea with some dark chocolate around 9:30pm or later. I now pre-prepare our meal so that we eat no later than 6:30-7pm, and then put the kids to bed, then have my cuppa at 7:30pm, and I don't even really want the chocolate most nights now. I won't eat bread or pasta with dinner, so sometimes hubs and I have slightly different meals. Even that slight adjustment in time, I feel, has made a big difference to how I feel going to bed, and the next morning. I just don't feel the need for breakfast any more.

I'm actually fairly content with my weight, I was down to about 62kgs (136lbs or so) after having bubby, and am now around 65kgs (143lbs). A wee bit of weight loss would be an added bonus, but even after a week doing 16/8 I feel more comfortable in tight waisted shorts and skirts (it's summer here and pretty hot!) - no muffin top! I'm a dancer so get plenty of exercise, I'd just like to refine my eating habits some. Plus I'm fairly big in the boobs department, and I'm not sure I want to lose those babies! :rodent:

Thanks so much for this thread @Ellen, and to everyone who has contributed. It's so encouraging and motivating!

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Matata, thank you for clarifying.

I will admit, as Chrono mentioned, that your caloric intake "seems" low. But after thinking about it some more, I had this thought. Why do I think it's too low? Because we've been told by the Govt. guidelines it is. With so many other things the govt. has said which I am finding untrue/not necessary, maybe that is too. Because if you Google about consuming only that many calories a day, you'll find articles saying if you do that, you'll become fatigued and develop nutritional deficiencies, plus the weight may be harder to get off/stay off, as your body will think it's starving. Clearly this isn't the case with you. So, the proof may be in the pudding.:geek:

Dandi, I'm so glad you are finding the thread helpful, though as you said, you are already practicing IF to some degree. That's great, whatever you do going forward should be cream cheese. And even though you are trying to eat dinner earlier, from everything I have read, dinner time doesn't matter, as long as you are keeping it in the 8 hours. I've read of people eating their dinner at 11:00 and were still losing. I would still recommend reading Dr. Fung's book, pretty interesting! :read:

Let us know how you get on.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I already have nutritional deficiencies, one of which is severe enough to require mega doses. I’ve gotten blood work done and was prescribed supplements, with follow up testing in 3 months. I eat mostly home cooked meals made from scratch.

Last edited:
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results