shape
carat
color
clarity

Has anyone built or remodeled a home?

MRBXXXFVVS1

Brilliant_Rock
Here's one thing I will do in my next house reno (if it is feasible). I want closet lighting that turns on when you open the closet door, just like in a fancy hotel-lol. We all have dreams right?

This should be a pretty easy solve with motion sensor switches. We have them in all of our bathrooms now.

S

SallyB

We‘ve renovated a house, a condo, and a townhouse. All three were 1.5 times more expensive than we budgeted and took almost twice as long to complete as we had planned.

voce

Ideal_Rock
6. Yes to copper piping. Lasts longer than PVC piping.

One thing to consider here. Products to unclog piping such as Drano will not react with PVC but will corrode copper. So if you use those products for the shower or the kitchen, copper piping will not last longer. I think I lived in a place once where the pipes leaked because use the of product to unclog pipes led to the copper pipes corroding.

I second the suggestion about the electric outlets but would also extend that to cable and lights. My parents did a semi custom (they chose from an existing plan), and the biggest regrets are 1) not upgrading to a 2nd floor in the back to overlook the golf course, 2) not specifying the pipes and electric stuff for the sprinklers and lights in the backyard, and 3) not wiring all the bedrooms for ceiling fans.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I never knew that about Drano and copper. Never had to use it yet.

jaaron

Brilliant_Rock
Speaking as someone who cavalierly bought a totally derelict historic house and is now entering year 3 of a total and extremely complicated gut job, I keep looking longingly at those ads for all-glass city penthouses that are done by someone else, before you move in, right down to the chilled glass of white wine on the perfect countertop...

I think you've had good advice here. I second and third about lighting--in fact, I think either having your architect or a lighting designer do a lighting plan is money well-spent. Ours had all kinds of ideas for different levels of lighting that I would never have thought of. And also second and third on builders. Our architect recommended our contractor as someone they'd worked well with in the past on complicated jobs. We figured that since each of them would be invested in having the other recommend them for future jobs, it would keep them both on track :lol:. So far, we've been really happy with both--none of the complications and delays have been their fault.

My biggest piece of advice is to really think about how you live and what's important to you rather than following trends. I remember a friend who had done a bunch of houses telling me years ago that it's always wise to spend your money on the things you touch every day, which has stayed with me. If you're choosing where to splash out, do it in the places that are important to the way you live. If you're a long bath person, spend on your bathroom, if you're a cook, spend on your kitchen, and so on. Don't be afraid to march to your own drummer -- it's your house. Our architect likes big sheets of marble in bathrooms and kitchens, but that's not really my style. I kept getting sort of seduced by his ideas and then realising it wasn't going to be a room I was going to admire in an architectural magazine--it's going to be a place we live in.

The places we've splurged:

Kitchens are really important to me, so we've spent there on both appliances and countertops. I don't need a ton of bells and whistles inside my kitchen cabinets, so we've gone for high quality, but foregone a lot of the cute extras. I like a separate pantry, so we've done that, and we entertain a fair amount (or used to, pre-covid, anyway), so we added an extra dishwasher drawer and oven in the pantry. My husband really likes nice floors, so we've spent on wide plank wood floors, some new and some reclaimed. We're doing some intricate and expensive tiling in the master bath and the powder room and then stepping down a notch for the bathrooms with the kids' rooms and then a couple more rungs for the guest bathroom. We're not really bath people, so have done a couple of really big showers with rain head showers. Some expensive industrial-style steel doors and windows.

Zoned underfloor heating is nice, as is central A/C (depending on where you live). I'm not a huge fan of complicated computerised systems or wired in sound systems as my experience is that they often don't work or become obsolete pretty quickly, so personally, I wouldn't put my money there.

I came across these yesterday, and since they couldn't be more appropriate for pricescope... Screenshot 2020-07-09 at 16.53.51.png

MRBXXXFVVS1

Brilliant_Rock
@jaaron Such great advice, thank you! I was thinking about whether to prioritize baths that we'd use more vs. investing in all of them... I like how you prioritized the master bathroom and powder room, followed by kids' bathrooms, and lastly the guest bathroom.

Part of me is thinking it's worth the cost and patience to find a house that doesn't require any work, but this may take many months or years. DH wants to do a DIY fixer upper, and he agrees that what will end up happening is that it will take forever and require a lot of nagging on my end to motivate him to want to work on the house (doesn't sound fun for me, but he still wants to do it)!

I've done a few new constructions (within developments where a builder handles everything) and the things I've learned are:

- Lean into growth, think about what you might want a few years down the road vs. just right now
- Use as little grout as possible in showers as they get dirty easily. Flat slabs of stone work well.
- +1 for lighting and outlets in closets! Fortunately, we did this, next time around I also want outlets near the toilets for Toto toilets.
- Think about recessed lighting, ceiling fans, and other wiring especially for home theater, speakers, and security cameras. We wish we did more of this.
- Solid slab behind stove so you can easily wipe it down from grease and other splashes, again grout gets dirty easily.
- Invest in things that are costly and difficult to upgrade, such as wiring, cabinets, and flooring.

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am building a custom (expensive architect imho) designed home right now in hotternhell Texas.

Our builder gave us limits on what we cold spend on our house on the items we pick and stay within what we have to spend on the house. So far: the cabinets came in 40K more than the builder gave us as a budget (my husband went into apoplexy)... so we are working on the getting that down. The pool came in 20K more than we wanted to spend, turns out the trees on the property have oak wilt (all of them) which means they will die, so we are 10K in the hole to starve off their deaths til we spend 14K planting hardier trees - unexpected) the plumbing fixtures etc came in 12K more.. do you see the pattern we are going through :) it's disheartening and makes sleep hard to come by :)

So what is different in my experience so my husband has build 1 house that was custom 40 years ago :) then we have had 2 houses that were already started, one the kitchen cabinets had already been installed (ugh dark cherry cabinets but I lightened everything else up) and the house we had in Austin that was someone who had walked away from the deal and that had a lot more choices than the Raleigh house I just mentioned b4 this one.. The biggest difference is obviously cost - the Austin house was a David Weekly house and the Raleigh house was a local builder (Creech construction back then).. Both builders gave me choices but it was easier because I didn't have tons tons and more tons of choices... this custom top to bottom? ugh the choices, the decisions are really huge, what kind of firebox, how larege.. then you get the architect (over priced again) and his/her dream and what you can afford :) it's been a mind altering experience, I think if one builds several houses in their lifetime that are custom then it's easier but for me this has been worrying about MONEY and worrying about my husband, he becomes morose.

This house is 3,340 square feet, not real big, I've had bigger, but bigger than we need. :) by far but the sub division requires 3,000 minimum. If you want to see some pix I have posted things over in NIRDIs..

Custom building is not for the faint of heart, it's for people young :) (j/k there).

Let me know if you need anything else. Always happy to help out people here on PS :)

MRBXXXFVVS1

Brilliant_Rock
We are considering buying a new construction that's being done by a builder. It's a custom home (not in a neighborhood) and they are asking for a 10% deposit (non-refundable). We would close once the house is finished (it hasn't been started yet).

Since the house is a bit more rural, it has well and septic. There are also overhead power lines, are there any health risks associated with them or anything to be concerned about? Also, they said that the internet provider reaches the property (is there any risk that it would not, as this would be a deal breaker for us).

Is there anything else we should be aware of, watch out for, think about, or any advice especially around well/septic and power lines? Thanks!

voce

Ideal_Rock
We are considering buying a new construction that's being done by a builder. It's a custom home (not in a neighborhood) and they are asking for a 10% deposit (non-refundable). We would close once the house is finished (it hasn't been started yet).

Since the house is a bit more rural, it has well and septic. There are also overhead power lines, are there any health risks associated with them or anything to be concerned about? Also, they said that the internet provider reaches the property (is there any risk that it would not, as this would be a deal breaker for us).

Is there anything else we should be aware of, watch out for, think about, or any advice especially around well/septic and power lines? Thanks!

Power Line Radiation exists. People have differences of opinion as to how harmful they can be. I personally would avoid living in any neighborhood with overhead power lines. Overhead power lines have caused my parents to reject several neighborhoods when we were ready to move to a new home.

MRBXXXFVVS1

Brilliant_Rock

Power Line Radiation exists. People have differences of opinion as to how harmful they can be. I personally would avoid living in any neighborhood with overhead power lines. Overhead power lines have caused my parents to reject several neighborhoods when we were ready to move to a new home.

What about lower voltage, neighborhood overhead power lines? Does it have the same health impact as underground power lines? Something like the photo below:

Last edited:

voce

Ideal_Rock
What about neighborhood overhead power lines? Does it have the same health impact as underground power lines?
From what I understand, underground power lines have less of an impact than overhead power lines. This is because the power lines are alternating current, and the proximity of the power lines where current travels in opposite directions underground cancels out the electromagnetic field effects. On overhead power lines, the opposite direction current lines are exposed to the weather and spaced more apart, which means less cancellation of the EMF.

To really know the extent of the magnetic field, you'd have to take measurements. I think for the average neighborhood power lines, 300 m from the power lines is safe, but I would just check the roads around the power lines because I don't want to have to pass beneath an area of strong magnetic field on my way to/from the house every single day.

Elizabeth35

Brilliant_Rock
Well and septic-there are things to consider.
Obviously, you will not have a water bill. Your water is “free”.
Have the water tested so yo understand your minerals, etc.

We have well and septic. Water, IMHO, is not drinkable from tap. It also makes crap ice cubes, so kiss the ice maker in frig good-bye. Also-no white sheets, towels, undies or t-shirts. They will turn gray. All white clothes go t the dry cleaner. This may vary depending on your water source-some tastes fine.
Find out the situation in your area and research water treatment systems-they can be costly.

If you power goes out—you have a limited amount of water since the well pump will not be working. On city water you can shower and flush toilets during power outages. So consider your whole house generator system.

Maintenance—we cannot put greasy items down the garbage disposal as they will not decompose in the septic system. Also-no tampons or flushable wipes down the toilet. So you will have to tell female guests that they may not flush tampons. Nor can you flush condoms—sorry to be so graphic. You will, have to have the septic tank periodically emptied, so consider where that valve is place. Ours is in a perennial bed which is not great-it gets torn up.

These are all things I learned as a city girl moving to unincorporated well and septic.

Last edited:

Crazie4Cuts

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
We bought the ugliest house on the block in a suburb 30 years ago where housing prices are still escalating and now my 1800 sq ft home is worth 6x the value, but its now like 60+ years old. We have 3 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms, 2 car garage, We did have a good foundation though so we didn't do an entire gut job. One of the things we did do before we moved in we bought a lot of Raid Max foggers and set off one in each room. Even after the house was tented!

We worked on the inside of the home first and didn't even touched the landscaping until 2 years later! Our neighbor asked us if we needed help in the front yard, cause we were bringing the neighbor housing pricing down due to neglect (hey, we were both working full time and all our waking hours were for fixing up the house!) we didn't have kids for like 4 years and wanted to be sure our living conditions were safe for the babies!

We've gutted 2 bathrooms, painted each bedroom, living room, remodeled the kitchen, laundry room, upstairs bonus room...every room has been renovated, painted, down to new doors for the closets, bedrooms, front door, new locks, new door handles, new bathroom fixtures, every surface has been changed! And we painted our 2 story home two times already! And reroofed our home. It is a MONEY PIT and it never ends.)

We pretty much did it ourselves or hired sub-contractors, semi-professionals. I have a spread sheet of all the areas we wanted to fix, update, or renovate and now we are on the 2nd round because we haven't moved and some things need replacing. We didn't take out loans and paid as we went along. Our renovation is done in stages and we still are 'working' on the same house.

The best thing we did was purchased in a location which is near freeways, shopping, and quality public schools! Location, location, location. 2nd house for us? Maybe...maybe not, we're still updating our current home, so no time to even think about a 2nd home.

-C4C

PS. I have a friend who purchased in a gated community up on the hill and I am glad I don't live in her exclusive area. She pays more for water, electricity, and HOA fees. Also people who live in the gated community slam their vehicles into the gate (impatient) or the turkeys, pigs, deer, who get in the way. She only lives about 7-10 minutes from me, but what a pain it is to go up and down the 'hill.'

cflutist

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am building a custom (expensive architect imho) designed home right now in hotternhell Texas.

Our builder gave us limits on what we cold spend on our house on the items we pick and stay within what we have to spend on the house. So far: the cabinets came in 40K more than the builder gave us as a budget (my husband went into apoplexy)... so we are working on the getting that down. The pool came in 20K more than we wanted to spend, turns out the trees on the property have oak wilt (all of them) which means they will die, so we are 10K in the hole to starve off their deaths til we spend 14K planting hardier trees - unexpected) the plumbing fixtures etc came in 12K more.. do you see the pattern we are going through :) it's disheartening and makes sleep hard to come by :)

So what is different in my experience so my husband has build 1 house that was custom 40 years ago :) then we have had 2 houses that were already started, one the kitchen cabinets had already been installed (ugh dark cherry cabinets but I lightened everything else up) and the house we had in Austin that was someone who had walked away from the deal and that had a lot more choices than the Raleigh house I just mentioned b4 this one.. The biggest difference is obviously cost - the Austin house was a David Weekly house and the Raleigh house was a local builder (Creech construction back then).. Both builders gave me choices but it was easier because I didn't have tons tons and more tons of choices... this custom top to bottom? ugh the choices, the decisions are really huge, what kind of firebox, how larege.. then you get the architect (over priced again) and his/her dream and what you can afford :) it's been a mind altering experience, I think if one builds several houses in their lifetime that are custom then it's easier but for me this has been worrying about MONEY and worrying about my husband, he becomes morose.

This house is 3,340 square feet, not real big, I've had bigger, but bigger than we need. :) by far but the sub division requires 3,000 minimum. If you want to see some pix I have posted things over in NIRDIs..

Custom building is not for the faint of heart, it's for people young :) (j/k there).

Let me know if you need anything else. Always happy to help out people here on PS :)

Thanks for the info. We just entered a contract to build a custom home in a different state, we are currently in the San Francisco Bay Area, and our new home will be in Fountain Hills AZ outside of Scottsdale.

Am totally stressing out about the cost and the fact that it will be difficult to micromanage from a long distance. It is in a gated community with all kinds of Design Guidelines and CCRs which doesn't help.

I have remodeled two kitchens and 6 bathrooms before, but never anything like this. I already feel out of control yet when I was working I used to manage multi-million dollar software development projects.

At least when I bought CBI diamonds I knew what they were going to cost up front.

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
Only one small observation from my new home. The 14.5 foot ceilings were so airy when I first saw the home. The living room has a wall of windows. Outside of the kitchen, the dining area is a bank of beautiful windows.

Now living with it for two years.
The windows drove the temperatures up to 75 in the dead of winter. Summer was a hot house - we had to tint the windows (not cheap). The big beautiful windows are mostly parked behind solar shades :)

The high ceilings prevent any DIY painting projects, fan replacements, normal window curtains (14' curtains are not usual).Definitely first world problems, but now that Iv'e lived with them, I would have done it differently.

MRBXXXFVVS1

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for all the feedback. Between these 2 new construction, similar homes which would you choose with all else being equal?

1. Several acres, well and septic, more rural with lots of opportunity for adventure and projects
2. Small lot, city water and sewer, neighborhood for kids to make friends and play in
3. Keep searching for a unicorn, several acres, city water and sewer, neighborhood (this will probably be as difficult as finding a large carat, ACA, D, flawless diamond at a reasonable price)

Apparently there are neighborhood power lines near option #2 as well, perhaps they exist near everywhere in the area? I think I'm learning towards option #2, while DH is leaning towards option #1.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Nope.
No fracking Way!
Never have!
Never will!

We'll peacefully live in our dumpy fixer-upper till I die.
Then SO can do whatez he wants.

I've listened to too many horror stories about nightmare contractors from Hell.
I will never be f-ked over by one of them, because I'll never hire one of them.
Never!

Last edited:

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hola - we will be close, maybe sometime CFlutist we can have a meetup with us in the SW, Central US. I'll bet there are tons of design guidelines in an AZ community. I understand the utter loss of control and I'm here in Texas Cheryl. Okay pendant lights, big, small, whatever.. it's just stress and mind boggling things to think about. EXACTLY on your CBI's, plus you know I love that marquis... if you don't want t anymore, send it to me.. sending hugs.. Kate

Thanks for the info. We just entered a contract to build a custom home in a different state, we are currently in the San Francisco Bay Area, and our new home will be in Fountain Hills AZ outside of Scottsdale.

Am totally stressing out about the cost and the fact that it will be difficult to micromanage from a long distance. It is in a gated community with all kinds of Design Guidelines and CCRs which doesn't help.

I have remodeled two kitchens and 6 bathrooms before, but never anything like this. I already feel out of control yet when I was working I used to manage multi-million dollar software development projects.

At least when I bought CBI diamonds I knew what they were going to cost up front.

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would choose #2, of course my house is #1! husband isn't a city guy, i grew up rural he grew up in DC.. so what are we building? a house on 2 acres.

Go with your heart and what's best for the fam.. it's so hard. (okay I know it's first world hard, but none the less, it's hard.)

Thanks for all the feedback. Between these 2 new construction, similar homes which would you choose with all else being equal?

1. Several acres, well and septic, more rural with lots of opportunity for adventure and projects
2. Small lot, city water and sewer, neighborhood for kids to make friends and play in
3. Keep searching for a unicorn, several acres, city water and sewer, neighborhood (this will probably be as difficult as finding a large carat, ACA, D, flawless diamond at a reasonable price)

Apparently there are neighborhood power lines near option #2 as well, perhaps they exist near everywhere in the area? I think I'm learning towards option #2, while DH is leaning towards option #1.

Elizabeth35

Brilliant_Rock

Is #1 unincorporated or is it within a city/town limits? Are they in equitable school districts?
The public school district can influence your value and appreciation in areas where most people use the public schools. If most are using private schools then not such a big deal.

If you have several acres---who is maintaining all that land?

I would think through a week of life in each location---how much driving for getting kids to schools, friends, activities, work commutes, nearest grocery, etc.
I love being unincorporated with over an acre--but it's not for everyone. I would not have lived here with younger kids as our school district is not great, no sidewalks, and no streetlights. So to me---not for young kids.
YMMV.

MRBXXXFVVS1

Brilliant_Rock
#1 is not within city/town limits, however both are in the same school district and are actually only a few minutes apart.

Most of the acreage would be wooded, so assuming there wouldn't be much maintenance needed or am I grossly missing something?

Elizabeth35

Brilliant_Rock
#1 is not within city/town limits, however both are in the same school district and are actually only a few minutes apart.

Most of the acreage would be wooded, so assuming there wouldn't be much maintenance needed or am I grossly missing something?

I don't know your area---but not being in city limits can influence things like snow plowing (if you have snow) or mosquito abatement spraying. We spray our own yard. Not a huge deal but just try to think through what this town/city provides that you would have to do on your own for #1.

If you are not in city limits---who do you call for police and fire protection? Where is the nearest fire hydrant for the more rural property (this can affect homeowners insurance rates)? Do you have accessibility to the local library and park districts for the unincorporated property if you use those facilities?
Would you need to arrange for your garbage/recycling for #1?

I had lived 'in town' my whole life--so living in an unincorporated area was different. I happen to love it, even though I miss having white undies, socks and t-shirts.

MRBXXXFVVS1

Brilliant_Rock
@Elizabeth35 That's great insight, I never thought about lack of city services...I naively thought it just meant no access to city water/sewer. I think we decided against #1 due to:

1) Well/Septic
2) Location of Power Line
3) Lack of Neighborhood
4) City Services

Thanks for all the feedback! We may keep searching and go for #3...

jasper

Shiny_Rock
Seattle Bubble had a discussion on "Luxury home features that don't cost much". It covered "features that make a home much more pleasant, but don't add much to its cost".

Ideas included:
  • Draft-free windows (they should be standard in newer homes, but often are not)
  • Closet lighting
  • Dimmer switches
  • Quiet fans
  • Elongated toilet bowls
  • Toilets with self-closing seats
  • Instant-hot water tap, especially in kitchen
  • Soft-close cabinets and drawers
  • Rounded countertop corners
  • "No-drip edges" on countertops

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Right now I'm about 100K over what we thought we could spend.. and we are only 1/2 the way there. fun. fun. not fun.

MRBXXXFVVS1

Brilliant_Rock
Right now I'm about 100K over what we thought we could spend.. and we are only 1/2 the way there. fun. fun. not fun.

You will have an amazing house when it's done!! Out of curiosity, what ended up being more than you expected?

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well thank you! I put pix up once in a while in the NIRDI thread and hopefully CFlutist will post pix when she starts her gorgeous home in the southwest.

over budget;

okay kitchen cabinets! he budgeted for us 27k which was absurd, first round came in at 90K lol, we got rid of cabinets, there are very few pull out drawer because they are expensive.

The pool, the first go round came in a 98k, we had built a pool with a raised spa in Austin in 1998 for 27k, this time 9same pool) was 98k, quite a big jump in 22 years, so we had to ditch the spa, we had budgeted 55k for the pool and it ended up being 77k

windows, we had to move down a notch or 2 because the windows came in quite a bit higher, not that i really care in one sense because we are in hotternhell Austin Texas so A/C is a lot more important.

our house is totally one of a kind sorta, we did say we wanted modern but I don't think i would ever do that again (frankly I am never moving again) the architect and fees were astronomical, like 50K redic.. but I do know people here in Austin who started at 100K that was the ante for a 5,000sq ft one of a kind house on lake Austin, they are mucho richer than us, 4 million dollar home.. so in the scheme of things guess my architect was cheap, but way more than we had budgeted. Our house is 3,400 sq. feet, 5 bathrooms, no dining room.. pretty basic really.

We have not even picked tile, wood floors, house paint, fans, pendant lights etc.

all the faucets, etc came in double and we moved down 2 notches to Delta, which are rated very well but average.

we paid 20k more for the lot than we wanted to.

on and on....

buyer beware but my home will reflect what's left of me ;-)

You will have an amazing house when it's done!! Out of curiosity, what ended up being more than you expected?

jordyonbass

Ideal_Rock
Trade
There's some really good replies here, lots of food for thought for my wife and I who are looking to buy our first family home soon.

We're kind of in a dilemma; we could build something that's exactly what we want, but we have to wait for it and pay a lot of rent that could go into a mortgage for a larger lot of land and an established house that's reasonably new and doesn't need renovating. The issue with the reasonably new, established option is every time we look to get more info on a place it's sold almost immediately. So trying to obtain one of those properties is a big gamble. Both options are roughly the same cost (within 5% of each other).

Open to any advice or preference over what someone would do in this situation.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results