shape
carat
color
clarity

Has anyone been to the Dominican Republic?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

vespergirl

Ideal_Rock
We just booked a vacation there in May, because we wanted to stay at a nice all-inclusive that''s good for kids, and my DH has been dying to golf the DR because they have some of the best courses in the world, says he.

We are staying at the Paradisus Palma Real - has anyone stayed there? If so, can you recommend any of the resorts restaurants?

How did you like the activities/play area for kids?

Also, what else is there to do in the DR? We''re going to Punta Cana, so we''d like to stay in the east/SE area. There''s supposed to be an old European style artisans village - is that worth checking out?

Has anyone done any horseback riding there?

Also, if anyone has played the golf courses, which do you recommend?

Tuckins1

Ideal_Rock
I really don''t have much info for you. I have been there twice, but I was under 7 years old the last time I was there. My family does vacation there a lot and it''s AMAZING!!! It''s really beautiful and the food was great! You guys will have a blast!

atroop711

Ideal_Rock
My friend just returned from that exact resort. She said it was nice. We are going to Punta Cana this summer and staying at the Melia Caribe Tropical. I picked this for their kids camp. Heard it''s great.

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
We've been twice. Once to the Cayena Beach Resort in Punta Cana and once to Blue Bay Villas Doradas in Puerto Plata (Blue Bay was one of the best vacations I have EVER taken). But we're beach bums and didn't really leave the resort, LOL. Tripadvisor.com has a TON of knowledgeable folks though, if you're looking for ideas!

scarleta

Brilliant_Rock
DR is great place to go to.The people are super friendly and helpful.YOU will have fun.Have not been to Punta Cana,so can''t recommend anything specific, but have been to DR several times.
Great country, great food too.
If taking a taxi negotiate the price before.Have fun.

pocahontas

Brilliant_Rock
Vespergirl, I haven''t been...yet, but FI and I will be getting married in La Romana next month. I believe the artist''s village you''re referring to is Altos de Chavon, which by all accounts is definitely worth visiting. Well, I hope that''s the case anyways ''cause we''ll be getting married in the small church there. Although I don''t play golf, I think your husband is right; from what I''ve heard Teeth of the Dog at Casa de Campo is one of the best courses in the world. It''s supposedly ranked 34th in the Caribbean and is considered one of the top 100 courses in the world.

kama_s

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Whatever you do, make sure you negotiate like mad! If someone says 1000, bring it down to 100. Seriously. You'll probably end up getting it for less than 250! If they dont agree, walk away. Either they'll bring you back on your price, or the neighboring shop will agree to that price.

You'll have a blast! Mr. Kama and I were there in Jan at the Colonial Elegance - the beach is fabulous!

Sabine

Ideal_Rock
We went to Punta Cana for our honeymoon this past July, and we stayed in a resort called Excellence. It was definitely beautiful there, but I think our experience at an adults-only place is probably pretty different than what you''re looking for.

We did a few excursions off the resort, but found that the trips to/from where ever we were going were terrible (in the back of an open bed truck on dusty, bumpy roads for hours squished in with people), and the excursions were all really expensive. We were warned not to do anything by ourselves off the resort, so we didn''t, but I don''t know how careful you really have to be.

On the resort, we did things like scuba and horseback riding, but all events were crowded and poorly organized.

I don''t think I would go back for a trip that wasn''t like a honeymoon, I would rather go somewhere where I felt comfortable leaving the resort to go exploring on our own, but if you are staying at a kid-friendly resort, they might have lots more activities and fun things going on.

vespergirl

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for the replies, everyone. I am really looking forward to the trip now. We like to try different islands, so this is somewhere that neither of us has been before.

I''ll let you know how it was after we get back!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results