shape
carat
color
clarity

Has anyone been to Perth?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
When I was at D''s house yesterday they told me that they were going to Perth to visit my FFIL''s family. I''m invited also (woohoo!) so just wondering if anyone has been there before and can suggest things to do! Can''t believe I''ll be in Australia in about 8 weeks!

Deelight

Ideal_Rock
Arunajane is from Perth :)

I have never been I live on the other side of Australia but from what I have heard it is beautiful :)

Thats really exciting :)

Dandi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It''s lovely, my mum lived there before she was married (we''re now on the other side of the country!) Much like Melbourne, there''s lots to do and see in terms of entertainment, culture, the arts and the nightlife is great fun.

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
bee*, I''m green with envy! I really want to go to Australia! It''s on my short list of trips I want to take soon! I''m actually dying to go to Melbourne, but I''ve heard Perth is really cool, too!

anchor31

Ideal_Rock
My sister is in Perth right now for her exchange. I can ask her and come back to you.

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
thanks for the replies! I still can''t believe we''re going and it''s at the start of June so we''ll be there so shortly! That would be great anchor next time you''re speaking to her. I''ve been on tripadvisor all morning too. Cannot wait to go!

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
my husband is from perth: spend some time in freemantle, go down to margaret river to wine taste, don''t skip the mt barker region: best pinot i''ve ever had came from castle rock but you can''t get except it at their vineyard or local restaurants. head further south towards albany and denmark. great road trip country.

movie zombie

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
thanks movie zombie for those great suggestions. I''d love to road trip when I''m there-not sure how much we can escape D''s parents though-we''ll do our best to ditch them for a day or two
3.gif

katebar

Brilliant_Rock
Perth is a lovely liveable city! Definitely go down to Margaret River. Great scenery and fantastic wines and food.
Perth is a great cosmopolitan city too but it is a long long long......... way from any other city in Australia so if you want to see anything else of Australia its at least a 5 hour trip. Or you could go to Broome which is in WA and have a fantastic tropical break as well
36.gif

gwendolyn

Ideal_Rock
Not been to Perth, but I am absolutely, madly, insanely in love with Australia as a whole, so I am SURE you will have a GREAT time!!! Take billions of photos, please, m''dear!! I am so excited for you!! Oh, and I hope you allow at least a day for jetlag/timezone adjustment. It''s a doozy.
2.gif

Deelight

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/6/2008 1:10:05 PM
Author: bee*
thanks for the replies! I still can''t believe we''re going and it''s at the start of June so we''ll be there so shortly! That would be great anchor next time you''re speaking to her. I''ve been on tripadvisor all morning too. Cannot wait to go!

June will be a fantastic time for you to come it is winter here well we call it winter so it will be a nice temperature for you :), Not too hot not to cold :)

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Bee, I don''t know if you are interested in the stars at all, but as you will be in the Southern Hemisphere, it may be an idea to look upwards one clear night, so you can say you have seen the Southern Cross!

http://www.aussie-info.com/identity/scross.php

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
thanks again everyone! Still so excited!

Katebar-I doubt we''ll be going anywhere else. D''s granny is over in Australia and so are all of his dad''s side of the family so I''d say we''ll be busy visiting them all when we go there. Will definitely go to Margaret''s river. Looking forward to trying all those restaurants.

Gwendolyn-will definitely take lots of photos. Will get that camera battery charged up before I go. Dreading the jetlag-and the long flights!

Deelight-thank you! It will probably be warm for us coming from our weather! I''ve forgotten what sun actually feels like
3.gif

Lorelei-thanks for that site! Will definitely have to check that out.

Pity I have exams in the way beforehand-better get back to the study
34.gif

anchor31

Ideal_Rock
Here''s what my sister wrote to me:

"One of the big attractions are the beaches of course. The Cottesloe one had a sculpture exhibit recently, but I don''t know if it''s still there. The Swanbourne one is a nudist beach, by the way! In any case, Perth is a good place to learn how to surf, if that interests your friend. I''d actually recommend visiting Fremantle! Just take the train from Perth all the way to the end of the Fremantle line. There are the Freo markets with buskers, the harbour, lots of interesting restaurants by the water (one not to be missed being the Little Creatures brewery). It''s a heart-warming harbour town and walking around would keep her busy for a while. ;-)
Obviously, there''s also Kings Park and the botanic gardens just west of Perth''s CBD if she''s into that, and there''s the Perth Mint in East Perth (Hay St. if I recall correctly) that got a lot of tourim awards. Haven''t been there myself though, so I guess I shouldn''t vouch for it! For pubs and night life, Northbridge is the place. The Moon Cafe there is a rather nice place for food filled with old couches in the back. There''s also this very lovely park (Lake Monger Reserve) in Leederville, with lots with black swans, ducks and huge geese.

There are also other tourists activities like a zoo and boat cruises on Swan River, but I never went on one. There are two streets downtown called the "Pedestrian mall" (Hay St. and one just north of it) for shopping. Subiaco, Leederville, Claremont, Cottesloe are "suburbs" with pretty developped centres, I buy my fruits, vegetables and bread at the weekend Subiaco market. Speaking of Subiaco, Australien football tickets are only 15-20$ and it''s worth going! What else... I''ve been to the other side of the river a few times, to visit a martial arts shop."

Hope that helps, bee!

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
thanks a million Anchor! That''s such a great help-I love the sound of Fremantle. Would love to learn how to surf also. Think I might give the nudist beach a miss though
3.gif
9.gif
Tell your sister thank you also! She seems like she''s having an amazing time.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Bee, I am so excited for you!!! Please take lots of pics. I am hoping to go around this time next year; I have always wanted to go so I planted that little seed in hubby's mind and I keep telling him we should go so hopefully we will go (that is usually how it works). hehe
2.gif
Yay; I am very excited for you!!!
21.gif

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
oh, almost forgot one of the things i most enjoyed: the maritime museum. it is an absolute must visit. not too far from the above referenced brewery.

movie zombie

CaptAubrey

Brilliant_Rock
I was in Perth in 1986 while still working for Uncle Sam. It reminded me of California in the 1950s. I was there during the winter, so I can''t speak to the beaches (though what I saw was nice enough), but the people were very friendly, even to drunken sailors.
12.gif
My experience was no doubt distorted because of the nature of my visit, but the area is certainly lovely.

I have no idea what''s changed in 22 years, but I wouldn''t mind going back.
10.gif

Deelight

Ideal_Rock
Make sure to pack sunscreen and wear it you don''t want to get sunburnt

The sun here is much stronger then on your side of the world :)

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks again! I''ll definitely pack the sunscreen-I do not want to get burnt!

Thanks Skippy-keep planting that seed
3.gif
After that one you have to start planting the seed for a trip to Ireland!

Movie-will definitely put the maritime museum on our list of things to do. Then we''ll head to the brewery
1.gif

Thanks Capt! I''m glad to hear that the people were so nice.

Thanks again everyone!!

Dandi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
OOh yes bee I forgot to mention that! If you get the chance do go and see an AFL game! Very ''Aussie mate''. I''m not even the sporty type but love going to a footy match!!

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
um, they do sell sunscreen in perth! don''t pack anything you can buy. because of the sun and cancer problem, they even have a special program for making sure everyone has sunglasses. they are very very aware of the dangers and make sure the proper supplies are everywhere. in fact, i won''t pack a hat the next time i go, i''ll buy it there. you will need a hat.....no question about that.

movie zombie

ps fab seafood in and around perth........

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks girls! D would love to check out an AFL match. He''s very excited about that.

Movie-I have about 12 bottles of sunscreen here that I''ve never had to use in Ireland-I need to get rid of it
3.gif
I''ll buy a hat over there. Mmmm love seafood-can''t wait to sample it over there.

CareBear

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I was lucky enough to spend 3 weeks in Perth for work 5 yrs ago. I absolutely loved it! I went to Freemantle, which like a wharf area slightly outside of the city. Definitely worth seeing! I remember shopping in Subiaco which is this area with quite a few boutiques, mostly local brands, though that might have changed since. I also drove to a petting zoo nearby where I got to hug a koala
9.gif
A couple hours outside of the city, there is this place called Monkey Myer, where the wild dolphins swim up shore and aren't afraid of humans. Your hotel can arrange for a tour to take you there. My biggest regret of the trip was not going to Monkey Myer. The beaches near Perth are gorgeous. It borders the Indian ocean, which I remember being this amazing blue-green color.
The seafood there is amazing! I had raw oyster almost everyday. I'm allergic to the ones in the states but for some reason I was perfectly fine with the Perth ones. In Aussie, most items on the menu can be ordered in small or regular size. Small is basically appetizer size and regular is entree size. My aussie coworker told me to always order the small so I could sample more dishes. Coco's is one restaurant I liked and it's got a great view! www.cocosperth.com
Have a great trip!

Sparkster

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/8/2008 5:39:02 AM
Author: bee*
Thanks again! I'll definitely pack the sunscreen-I do not want to get burnt!

Thanks Skippy-keep planting that seed
3.gif
After that one you have to start planting the seed for a trip to Ireland!

Movie-will definitely put the maritime museum on our list of things to do. Then we'll head to the brewery
1.gif

Thanks Capt! I'm glad to hear that the people were so nice.

Thanks again everyone!!
Don't forget, it will be winter when you arrive in Perth. Don't know if you will need the sunscreen - average temps are around 19 - 21 degrees celcius.

I went to Perth a few years ago and can't remember much about it. Spent most of it in the Margaret River wine region which is absolutely beautiful. We stayed at Basildene Manor (bed and breakfast) and it was lovely http://www.basildene.com.au/

If you do travel up north, you must go to Monkey Mia and swim with the dolphins.

Have a great trip to 'Straya' (Australia)

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Hi Bee, as mentioned I live in Perth - born and raised, so will be more than happy to help you with anything you like.
You've been given some great advice already about making it south for the wine region - this will be stunning for the time of year that you're coming - very romantic, all fireplaces, beaches great food and better wine!
3.gif
I would definately recommend hiring a car for the day or so if you can and taking a little tour.
The Little Creatures brewery in fremantle is Very popular with locals and visitors alike, and taking the train from perth city will give you anice scenic ride on the way down. I would advise trying to go to freo (thats what we call fremantle
1.gif
) on a sat or sun, as there is always something happening down there such as street performance, artistic stuff. Also lots of history and great buildings.
As far as the city, you may wanna go in just to check it out - I guess I'm a bit jaded as i work there everyday! The shopping is probably just ok compared to international standards, however we do have awesome local fashion designers and labels that aren't "designer" prices. Also in the city is the art gallery and museum of WA, and there's also some trendier boutique galleries - depending on the time of the year there is often festivals - give me a heads up when you're due to come and I'll see whats on.

Let me know what you like in your nightlife and I can suggsest some hotels,clubs, nightspots for you. What kind of music do you like ? Are you interest to see any local bands/sport while you're here? You definately have to go to a AFL game while you're here! The oval is in Subiaco and just next to the train - if you're here for a "derby" match that will be fantastic - thats the matches between the two WA teams which is the West Coast Eagles and the Freo Dockers - oh, and you gotta be rootin for the eagles!
5.gif
These are the most enthusiastic and hotly contested matches, and you'll love the atmosphere - you can hear the crowd from 3 suburbs away! Although may need to plan ahead as tix sell out fast i'm pretty sure. I can check the schedule if you know what dates you'll be here? Drinking heaps of beer and being very loud is compulsory (ha ha i sound like such an aussie right now).

As mentioned Cottesloe beach has an amazing rep and to be honest I feel guilty I don't take advantage and go down there more! The Indiana tearooms are right on the beach with a great view, get a good coffee and relax.
I would also say to check out the suburbs of Subiaco and Leedervile (where I live!
2.gif
) for more great boutique shopping and cafe's - tons of cafe's! Leederville's also where Lake Monger is and is a nice walk around, filled with black swans which are the state emblem. Also there is a great old retro cinema called Luna cinemas - only about 5min walk from train station. They are always showing arthouse and cool movies that you can't see everywhere.

If you can head a bit out of the city the Swan Valley wine region is also definately worth a visit, however if I had to choose would probably go south to Margaret river territory instead.

please let me know anything else you're interest in, I will be more than happy to help all I can. If you want more "touristy" or themed ideas just let me know and I will see what I can think of.
I hope you have a great trip - if you're stuck for a guiide you can always give me a call!

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks Carebear, Sparkster and arjunajane! Unfortunately D''s parents are quite slow on planning so I''m not sure which day we arrive yet, as we''re spending a day or two in Singapore before we arrive in Perth. I wish they''d hurry up and confirm everything
3.gif

Carebear-I''d love to hold a koala, aww. I love them. I''m definitely going to Monkey Myer-no way I''d pass up the chance to swim with wild dolphins. I did it in Florida years ago and it was amazing! Coco''s looks amazing.

Sparkster-the weather we''re having over here at the moment is about 5 - 7 degrees so 19-21 will be lovely! I''m not sure which part of Perth his relatives live in so I''ll have to find that out too.

Arjunajane-thanks a million for your post! We''re into rock music and also jazz/swing etc (yep, both ends of the spectrum!). We''d love to check out some local bands. The matches sound fab! We''re Irish so we have no problem being loud and drinking beer
3.gif
We''ll fit right in! D''s parents stayed right beside a beach last time they were there but not sure the name of it. Perth sounds amazing-I can''t wait to get there. Once I get more details I''ll give you a shout!

Thanks again everyone!

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Oh Bee,
I just thought of something fun you should do - go for a day (maybe 2 day?) trip up north to see the Pinnacles and the Bungle Bungles- really amazing natural wonders in the desert - just do a quick google.
Maybe something nice you and the family you could do together? If you don' t want to drive it it'll be really easy to just take a tour there. Also north is Broome, which is really tropical and would make a lovely day trip.

If you were an absolute Diamond nut, i would advise going further to check out the Kimberley diamond mining area. Probably be a really interesting experience, however maybe a bit ambitious for a short trip. WA is a pretty huge state, approx 5 times size of texas - so going all over may take a lil while!
5.gif

Delster

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/9/2008 6:24:20 AM
Author: Sparkster

Don't forget, it will be winter when you arrive in Perth. Don't know if you will need the sunscreen - average temps are around 19 - 21 degrees celcius.

I've been refraining from posting on here but after writing this in Dreamgirl's thread about tanning I felt I should put it in here too. It's been nagging at me! This is what I wrote on that other thread:

Last thing, and then I'll desist. Please wear sunscreen all of the time. People do not realise that sunscreen is necessary even when it's not hot, and even when it's not particualrly sunny. The sun is there all of the time. The rays that burn you (UVB rays) are strongest when the sun is strong, but the ones that cause wrinkles, brown spots, and cancer (UVA rays) are always there. And they come in through windows. Most skin ageing is down to UVA rays. Protect yourself!!!

PS - not all sunscreens block UVA rays. You need one with 'broad spectrum' on the label or else it's only protecting you against UVB rays. Look for zinc oxide, titanium dioxide, avobenzone, or Mexoryl SX (or their chemical names) in the ingredients. More info here if you're interested.

You're so lucky to be going to Perth and all the recommendations sound like so much fun. I'm dead jealous!

35.gif

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
I just googled those two places arjunajane-wow! They look so fantastic! I''m trying to save for the wedding so not sure if I should go near a diamond mine
3.gif

Thanks Delster
35.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results