shape
carat
color
clarity

Has anyone been to Perth?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/10/2008 7:47:08 AM
Author: Delster

Date: 4/9/2008 6:24:20 AM
Author: Sparkster

Don''t forget, it will be winter when you arrive in Perth. Don''t know if you will need the sunscreen - average temps are around 19 - 21 degrees celcius.

I''ve been refraining from posting on here but after writing this in Dreamgirl''s thread about tanning I felt I should put it in here too. It''s been nagging at me! This is what I wrote on that other thread:

Last thing, and then I''ll desist. Please wear sunscreen all of the time. People do not realise that sunscreen is necessary even when it''s not hot, and even when it''s not particualrly sunny. The sun is there all of the time. The rays that burn you (UVB rays) are strongest when the sun is strong, but the ones that cause wrinkles, brown spots, and cancer (UVA rays) are always there. And they come in through windows. Most skin ageing is down to UVA rays. Protect yourself!!!

PS - not all sunscreens block UVA rays. You need one with ''broad spectrum'' on the label or else it''s only protecting you against UVB rays. Look for zinc oxide, titanium dioxide, avobenzone, or Mexoryl SX (or their chemical names) in the ingredients. More info here if you''re interested.

You''re so lucky to be going to Perth and all the recommendations sound like so much fun. I''m dead jealous!

35.gif

I have to agree with delster, although i wasn''t gonna make a thing about it as bee said she''ll be a good girl and wear sunscreen
1.gif

Its true that it is definately still possible to get burnt here even in the cooler months - we have one of the highest incidences of suncancer in the world in aust, so its always a good idea to (as the advertising campaign here goes) -to SLIP, SLOP, SLAP! (as in slip on t shirt, slop on some sunscreen and slap on a hat.) ha ha, cheesy I know
9.gif

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/10/2008 8:49:04 AM
Author: bee*
I just googled those two places arjunajane-wow! They look so fantastic! I''m trying to save for the wedding so not sure if I should go near a diamond mine
3.gif

Thanks Delster
35.gif
Hey, yeah i thought that would be a really interesting trip for you guys to take as a family - chances are many people who live here haven''t even seen them (like meee!)
It''s probably a bit of an intimidating drive if you''ve never been in "the outback'', so i would say just join a tour from any tour guide place. shouldn''t be too expensive I imagine - if you like I can look into it for you,
5.gif

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/11/2008 1:42:59 AM
Author: arjunajane

I just googled those two places arjunajane-wow! They look so fantastic! I''m trying to save for the wedding so not sure if I should go near a diamond mine
3.gif

Thanks Delster
35.gif
Hey, yeah i thought that would be a really interesting trip for you guys to take as a family - chances are many people who live here haven''t even seen them (like meee!)

It''s probably a bit of an intimidating drive if you''ve never been in ''the outback'', so i would say just join a tour from any tour guide place. shouldn''t be too expensive I imagine - if you like I can look into it for you,

5.gif

Woohoo I want to go to "the outback". That sounds so cool! I''d say that we will probably go on a tour-I''d be afraid that I''d get lost! Not sure I like the idea of getting lost in the outback
3.gif

Deelight

Ideal_Rock
Hehehe if you want to hold a koala make sure to wear a dark coloured shirt in case the poo or pee on you (this does happen) that way no one can tell, I personally am fond of wombats as well IMO as cute if not cuter then koala''s :D

Definitely go the sunscreen I live in QLD and it gets really hot here and even people from the southern states don''t realise just how bad the sun can be and get burnt easily even in winter. Between 10am and 3pm is the worst time Delster had good advise on the sunscreen :).

Just remember Slip, Slop, Slap: Slip on a shirt, slop on some sunscreen and slap on a hat
2.gif

I have wanted to go to Monkey Mia ever since I was little if you go I will be so jealous
25.gif

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/11/2008 5:12:28 AM

Date: 4/11/2008 1:42:59 AM
Author: arjunajane

3.gif

Thanks Delster
35.gif

It''s probably a bit of an intimidating drive if you''ve never been in ''the outback'', so i would say just join a tour from any tour guide place. shouldn''t be too expensive I imagine - if you like I can look into it for you,

5.gif

Woohoo I want to go to ''the outback''. That sounds so cool! I''d say that we will probably go on a tour-I''d be afraid that I''d get lost! Not sure I like the idea of getting lost in the outback
3.gif
Hey again..this thread is fun for me, i can talk about stuff i actually know about!
Yes you''re correct in being cautious - its pretty dangerous and people die all the time from lack of water and exposure etc.
But I think going on a trek/tour will be a very different experience for you that you can brag about back home! Its pretty crazy here - we''re the most isolated city in the world. On one side WA has some of the longest and prettiest coastline in the world - further north it becomes sub - tropical and we have some rainforest. Then south towards Albany and Esperance the climate is cooler and there is forests everywhere.
Head inland and we have ages and ages of desert, and of course attractions like Ayers Rock..

If you do the tour thing, perhaps (only if you''d like to) see if there are any rural outposts and you can visit some Indigenous Aboriginal communities perhaps..? Something a little different, meet and greet with some true "locals"..
5.gif
Many Aborigines make lovely art and paintings you may have seen which would make a great souveniour/gift. It''ll probably be fun to have a beer in a true "outback" pub as well!

I''ll stop carrying on now, I''m actually getting myself excited to do some stuff in my own home !
2.gif
I''m glad though that you like my ideas and I could help.

Sparkster

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/10/2008 7:47:08 AM

Date: 4/9/2008 6:24:20 AM
Author: Sparkster

Don''t forget, it will be winter when you arrive in Perth. Don''t know if you will need the sunscreen - average temps are around 19 - 21 degrees celcius.

I''ve been refraining from posting on here but after writing this in Dreamgirl''s thread about tanning I felt I should put it in here too. It''s been nagging at me! This is what I wrote on that other thread:

Last thing, and then I''ll desist. Please wear sunscreen all of the time. People do not realise that sunscreen is necessary even when it''s not hot, and even when it''s not particualrly sunny. The sun is there all of the time. The rays that burn you (UVB rays) are strongest when the sun is strong, but the ones that cause wrinkles, brown spots, and cancer (UVA rays) are always there. And they come in through windows. Most skin ageing is down to UVA rays. Protect yourself!!!

PS - not all sunscreens block UVA rays. You need one with ''broad spectrum'' on the label or else it''s only protecting you against UVB rays. Look for zinc oxide, titanium dioxide, avobenzone, or Mexoryl SX (or their chemical names) in the ingredients. More info here if you''re interested.

You''re so lucky to be going to Perth and all the recommendations sound like so much fun. I''m dead jealous!

35.gif

I get what you''re saying about temperature not being a factor with uv rays - the point I was really trying to make that it will be winter and the uv rays won''t be as bad.
The graph points that from about 3 higher, you should be sun-smart.

permodel.jpg

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
no matter the time of year my rule of thumb in perth is sunscreen every day, all day.......and wear a hat. even on days that don''t appear to be sunny. they take it seriously and wear sunglasses with wide sides to keep that area of the face protected. smart!

movie zombie

ps i believe the high rate of cancer has something to do with a thin ozone layer......?

Delster

Ideal_Rock
Yeah I agree Sparkster, the risks certainly won't be as high as it would be in high Summer. The thing is though, even in Winter you still in need sunscreen. According to the Irish Cancer Society, you need it at UV Index 3. The UV Index today in Ireland (overcast, rainy, coooolllld) is actually at... 3!

bee you totally have to go to the outback! How cool would that be? Oh wow!

ETA - oops, wrong image, hang on...

uvIndex5.gif

Delster

Ideal_Rock
Here''s the right one
1.gif

2405710026_119b9ca044.jpg

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
Deelight-I''m so used to animals peeing on me when I''m in work! I''ll definitely wear dark clothing
9.gif

Arjunajane-Perth sounds so cool-I have to have a beer in an outback pub. That just sounds so much fun. I love your ideas-thanks so much for helping!

Thanks everyone
35.gif
Don''t worry-I''ll be wearing that sunscreen!

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
Might have a bit of a problem with the Perth trip now. D''s granny was brought to hospital yesterday so his parents might have to go to Australia in the next few days and I have exams in a few weeks and D can''t get out of work so we can''t go if they have to go over asap
15.gif
So our trip to Australia might be put off for a while. The main thing is that his granny is ok though so what will be, will be.

Delster

Ideal_Rock
Oh I''m so sorry to hear this bee* Sending best wishes for D''s Granny, hope she''s on the mend.

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks Delster-we''re just waiting to hear from D''s aunts over there to let us know how she is. I''m just hoping she''s ok-she''s such a lovely woman.

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
I'',m sorry to hear that Bee, I hope all is ok.
Don''t worry, we''ll still be here when you''re ready to come!

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks arjunajane. Still no word on his granny so hopefully no news is good news.

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
36.gif
36.gif
Woohoo-D''s granny is out of hospital and his parents booked our flights today
36.gif
36.gif
We''re heading to Australia
36.gif
We leave on the 31st of May (so I get to see the sex and the city movie the night before!), arrive in Singapore on the 1st June and leave for Perth on the 4th of June. So excited now I know it''s booked!

Deelight

Ideal_Rock
YAY :) thats great news all round :)

You will have a blast :D

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks Deelight!

Delster

Ideal_Rock
That''s fantastic news bee! You must all be so relieved she''s OK
1.gif

And of course, the travel, you lucky thing you!
36.gif

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yep I''m delighted that she''s ok. It will mean so much to D to get to see her also as he hasn''t seen her in about 7 years (that''s the only time I''ve met her too). Thank you!

softly softly

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Bee,

Glad to hear that your FI''s granny is better and that you will be making the trip to Perth. As someone who was lucky enough to live in Perth not so long ago I would also suggest checking out Mount Lawley if you have the time. The Queens Hotel on Beaufort Street was one of my favourite places.

Also I just wanted to add that some of the places people have suggested visiting are quite some distance from Perth itself. If I remember correctly Margaret River is a 3 hour drive and Monkey Mia is 850 kilometers from Perth. Not sure how long you are there for, but in my experience many of the other popular tourist places are not really close enough for day trips from Perth. Hope you have a great time.

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
thanks for that softly! I hadn''t checked out distances-850km is definitely a good bit away! I''m going to his parent''s house on Sunday so once I get a rough idea of what they want to do then I can plan a bit.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/16/2008 5:53:21 PM
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
We leave on the 31st of May (so I get to see the sex and the city movie the night before!), arrive in Singapore on the 1st June and leave for Perth on the 4th of June. So excited now I know it''s booked!
YAY!!! I am glad D''s granny is out of the hospital as well.

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/18/2008 6:06:12 PM
Author: Skippy123
Date: 4/16/2008 5:53:21 PM

36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

YAY!!! I am glad D''s granny is out of the hospital as well.

Thanks Skippy! D''s dad is so excited about getting over there with us all to meet the granny again. I can''t wait!

Delster

Ideal_Rock
Yippee bee! Let the planning commence in earnest eh?
36.gif

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/21/2008 8:07:22 AM
Yippee bee! Let the planning commence in earnest eh?
36.gif

Have to get these horrible exams out of the way first
7.gif
Then the planning will definitely begin. I also found out that they have a Manolo Blahnik store in Singapore
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

D''s mother and father made an announcement last night when I was over for dinner that they were paying for my trip and for D''s as our engagement present and they were booking 5 star hotels for the whole trip. So I can spend my money on shoes!
10.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results