shape
carat
color
clarity

Hands free phone use

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'm just getting around to looking into hands-free options for using the phone while driving. This is a huge pet peeve of mine because nothing I've found greatly reduces background noise, road noise, or tinny calls. I'm also due for a new cell phone, so I'll want something compatible with whatever I pick out (if that's even a potential issue - I don't know.). What I'd love to do is find a phone that reduces background noise and works well when putting it on speaker, but then on the other hand, I don't want to feel like I'm shouting to be heard, either. That's probably not the most realistic option, I guess. I really don't like blue tooth head sets and I'd prefer to find something else but I'm not sure what to look for.

What would you recommend trying out or staying away from? Thanks!

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Mine connects with my car and has a mic on the ceiling, near the rear view mirror. My mom had something that clipped onto her visor (I believe bluetooth based) that was hands free once turned on as well. Something like this:

512CsR%2BbBFL.jpg

No idea about phones for quality, but pretty much any phone on speaker is going to catch background noise in my experience.

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks for the input, Telephone. I have the same thing your mom has but I don't know the brand. It clips to my visor. I don't know if it's that or my phone but I hate it. I practically have to shout to be heard, and I can never understand the person I'm talking to. My car is really old, so connecting my phone with my car isn't an option right now.

jordyonbass

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Funny that this thread has come up; my Honda CRV's radio died just recently so I have just bought a double dash unit to replace it. Comes with bluetooth handsfree, SD card, USB and Aux inputs, DVD/CD player, GPS navigation. It's a cheap unit for only $200AUD but it will be handy with all it's features. I'll come back here once I have it and installed it to let you know how the handsfree sounds

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ah got it. I wonder if some of the newer models of the bluetooth visor things will be more improved? How old is yours? Technology changes so fast, there is always something newer and better! You can also purchase from a store with a great return policy - costco comes to mind. Then you can try it out, and return if it doesn't work the way you want.

Depending on your phone, there are also clips to hold them, but I dont think theyre legal here. I believe these would/could be considered distracted driving:

$(KGrHqN,!lMFG7cb6cjhBRyfS!7Twg~~60_35.JPG

tuffyluvr

Brilliant_Rock
I've spent the last several years in an outside sales position, which means a lot of time on the road, and I have struggled with this too. My last car had integrated Bluetooth and it was the absolute WORST! It always sounded like I was in a wind tunnel to whoever was on the other end of the line and it sounded tinny and garbled on my end.

I bought a headphone style headset because I lost my headphones one day before the gym and figured I might as well get the ones I could use as a headset too. They have the little earbuds and a small mic that sits near my jawline. Miraculously these have turned out to be the best of all the options I've gone through! I can hear clearly and as long as there is not a breeze blowing on the mic or something rubbing against it, the person on the other line can hear well too! Mine were $20 at Target

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hands on or hands free is the equally unsafe ... IMO both are as unsafe as driving drunk.
The problem isn't using the hands.

The problem is (astonishingly) when talking on the phone the parts of the brain dedicated to vision are occupied and less available for driving.

I've seen studies demonstrating the parts of the brain dedicated to vision lights up (indicating activity) using MRI/CAT scan equipment.
I'm too lazy to look up the studies.

I strongly support legislation mandating jamming devices in cars.
If the engine is running a cellphone won't work!

Hang up and drive!
The life you save may be your own.

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have a Motorola one that clips to the visor and connects by Bluetooth. It is great! The quality is good on both sides and the charge lasts FOREVER. When you do have to recharge it you just plug it into the lighter using the microUSB cord that it comes with. I put off getting one forever but now that I have it I use it all the time.

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I stand corrected -- I have a Jabra (not a Motorola). It's the Freeway model. No idea why I thought it was a Motorola... Senility at 45 is a terrible thing!

ennui

Brilliant_Rock
kenny|1442269751|3927752 said:
Hands on or hands free is the equally unsafe ... IMO both are as unsafe as driving drunk.

The problem is (astonishingly) when talking on the phone the parts of the brain dedicated to vision are occupied and less available for driving.

I've seen studies demonstrating the parts of the brain dedicated to vision lights up (indicating activity) using MRI/CAT scan equipment.

Hang up and drive!

I agree! When did we get so addicted to the stupid phone that we can't be unplugged for five minutes? I want a bumper sticker that says "Turn off the phone. Drive the car."

I read a recent article from someone that says he's made a conscious effort to UNPLUG for the past three months. His migraines have cleared up, he's lost weight, and no longer has insomnia. Just a thought.

jordyonbass

Ideal_Rock
Trade
ennui|1442277826|3927809 said:
kenny|1442269751|3927752 said:

Hang up and drive!

I agree! When did we get so addicted to the stupid phone that we can't be unplugged for five minutes? I want a bumper sticker that says "Turn off the phone. Drive the car."

I read a recent article from someone that says he's made a conscious effort to UNPLUG for the past three months. His migraines have cleared up, he's lost weight, and no longer has insomnia. Just a thought.

Interesting. I recently got my first ever smartphone and I am not liking it at all (I know I know, what kind of person in their 20's has only just gotten their first one right?!). Despite everyone telling me how great they are and that I won't go back to a normal phone, I am not convinced. I've been thinking about going back to a regular phone since about 10 days after getting the phone, this makes it seem like it isn't such a bad idea

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
Jordy - I'd love to hear how the blue tooth works when you get a chance. Thanks!

Kenny, I get it. Because of the new hands free law and my frustration over how calls sound now that I have to rely on blue tooth, etc., I have used my phone less in the car. I'm still looking for something to help me out but I appreciate your concern.

Telephone, I'm not sure what my visor hands free set is but I'll check. I know it's a few years old. It's a hand me down from my husband, who now has that clip you attached in your previous post. He doesn't use the suction cup though, he just attaches it to one of the vents. It works well for him but the road noise and general background noise is too awful on my end to hold a conversation. He went from the visor thing to a jawbone headset to the phone clip. Nothing seems to work well. I've wondered at times if it's just our phones but I don't think that's it.

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
Dee*Jay, maybe I'll check out the brand you have and see how it works. Thanks for the recommendation!

Ennui, I hate how connected we can be, but using the phone during my commute when needed is helpful.

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
I'm not a hi tech kinda person. This works just fine for me.

Attachments

• handsfreecellphone.bmp
    900.1 KB · Views: 439

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
jaysonsmom|1442356694|3928155 said:
I'm not a hi tech kinda person. This works just fine for me.

EEK! An RF transmitter an inch from the brain?
No thanks. :wall:

Nobody knows why so many people are getting cancers ..... :errrr: :o

jordyonbass

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Zoe|1442309644|3927931 said:
Jordy - I'd love to hear how the blue tooth works when you get a chance. Thanks!

Kenny, I get it. Because of the new hands free law and my frustration over how calls sound now that I have to rely on blue tooth, etc., I have used my phone less in the car. I'm still looking for something to help me out but I appreciate your concern.

Telephone, I'm not sure what my visor hands free set is but I'll check. I know it's a few years old. It's a hand me down from my husband, who now has that clip you attached in your previous post. He doesn't use the suction cup though, he just attaches it to one of the vents. It works well for him but the road noise and general background noise is too awful on my end to hold a conversation. He went from the visor thing to a jawbone headset to the phone clip. Nothing seems to work well. I've wondered at times if it's just our phones but I don't think that's it.

Will let you know Zoe, should be getting it today and getting it installed over the next week or two! Here's a pic from the sales ad, it's a cheap chinese brand but for $200 with all the features and a 1 year warranty - I'll take that gamble :)

By the way if you have an integrated dash in your car like most newer cars do then unfortunately this radio probably won't be able to be installed :(sad

radio.png

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
Dee*Jay|1442276083|3927800 said:
I stand corrected -- I have a Jabra (not a Motorola). It's the Freeway model. No idea why I thought it was a Motorola... Senility at 45 is a terrible thing!

It turns out that the one I have is a Motorola, and I don't like it. I've never heard of Jabra but I'll check it out this weekend.

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks, Dee*Jay!

jordyonbass

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Hey Zoe :wavey:

Just thought I would drop in and let you know that I just got the radio installed and first impression has me highly impressed with the unit. The handsfree is clear for me to hear and apparently I come in very clearly to the caller as well. The full list of features it has are:
- Radio
- DVD/CD player
- Navigation
- Bluetooth handsfree
- TV stations
- SD card and USB inputs
- Reverse camera compatibility
- 7 inch high definition touchscreen which is interactive with the phone

The only thing I have to criticize on it at this point is radio stations don't come in as clearly as they did on the old radio. Not an issue for me though as it has an SD card slot where I will be inserting a memory card so I can have all my music in the car :dance:

Here's a couple of pics I took this morning on my way to work

rad1.jpeg

rad2.jpeg

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hi Jordy! Thanks so much for posting again. I'm glad you like your new set up. My husband just got one, too. I have no idea what brand. I don't think he shopped around - I think it was an impulse buy. Not a huge deal if it's helpful to him though. It's maybe a smidge better in terms of background noise reduction in my opinion, but not much. He hasn't read through the manual yet so once he does, he's convinced it will work beautifully. I think I'm just way too picky.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results