shape
carat
color
clarity

Handbag gals - help!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Sundial

Ideal_Rock
Moremoremore''s thread on treating herself to earrings or a new handbag got me thinking. Hubby and I are off to Las Vegas on Sunday for a few days. I found this fantastic package with Southwest Airlines at the new Wynn Hotel. Anyway I thought while we were in one of my favorite shopping meccas I should treat myself to a new handbag. I love Louis Vuitton and have two of the monogram canvas bags. I was thinking maybe about getting a Damier or Epi one this time. I like something in about a 12 X 9 size. I like that LV is a classic and holds its value. You never see them put on sale. However maybe I should consider something different like a Marc Jacobs or Prada or Gucci this time. Any suggestions from you handbag fanatics out there???

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
I love LV bags and just got the new blue jean one too cute. But I have a great black Marc Jacobs bag and it''s awesome. I just bought a white Burberry bag at 50% on their website. I loooove it.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
I LOVE LV Bags...I don't wear that many purses, so I prefer to get one or two that are really versatile and just pair them with everything.

Check out eluxury.com for all the pictures of the LV bags, it may help narrow things down for you. Personally I like the monogrammed as my favorite, its' classic and goes with all sorts of colors and browns and blacks.

Oh but since you are going to LV, check out the Prada store. I wore my black Prada bag for a whole year once so they are a very versatile bag as well! Not as much into the Gucci items though personally.

Have fun!!

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
Personally, I think LV bags are about the ugliest things ever. So I say go with either Prada or Marc Jacobs or Tods.

Maxine

Brilliant_Rock
......and DO check out the jewelry at the Wynn..........it is to die for!!!!! Loved that place, it is beautiful.....definitely want to stay there next trip!!!!
30.gif

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
OMG. I LOVE The monogram mat leather. And I love the epi! I say go for it. Maybe I''ll go Louis instead of Tods. Decisions! I can''t wait to see what you pick!

Yeah, this is really ugly
20.gif
hehehehe
9.gif

monogrammat.jpg

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
This is the Louis I have. It was a special addition Sharon Stone design for charity...and it's HUGE. it got a lot more squishy. It's not a box like that....but it's actually a makeup case LOL. If it's not huge I don't want it...

sharon.jpg

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
LV bags are not ugly. They may not be everyones cup of tea, but UGLY????
29.gif

Morticia

Brilliant_Rock
I''m a big fan of Gucci. This is the current bag I am drooling over.

GucciIlove.jpg

OldBride

Rough_Rock
I''ve had an LV, Fendi, Prada, etc but recently I decided that I resent paying a bunch of money to advertise for the manufacturer, and I just won''t buy logo designs anymore. They sould be paying me. Currently I have a Charlie Lapson bag that I really like and I''ve always liked Dooneys.

Madam Bijoux

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I''ve collected LV and Gucci over the years. I''ve found that LV bags last longer, keep cleaner and are better quality than than Gucci, mainly because the LV bags are treated canvas. Gucci used to treat their canvas years ago, but they stopped. If the canvas isn''t treated, it will wear out faster as it rubs against your clothes. Caution: If you buy one on the LV white print bags, try not to be in the sun too much - the prints fade.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

I love my new dark brown suede Gucci bag (posted last weekend) and will get the red Epi LV next. My Prada bags have served me well as have my other LV''s and older Gucci''s styles. Although I am very hard on my bags, they just never wear out!!!!!! Good luck with your choice!

cheers--Sharon

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Looks great to me. Thanks I didn''t know about that website.

Sundial

Ideal_Rock
So many bags and so little time! Thanks for all the great suggestions. I will just have to check them all out and see what grabs me. I love that monogram mat bag you posted moremoremore! Does that stuff hold up as well as the monogram canvas? Maxine thanks for the tip on the jewelry at the Wynn. I am really looking forward to checking out this hotel! Keep your ideas coming. And Kaleigh you are right, LV may not be for everyone but it certainly isn''t ugly!!! You will notice on the website that Noobie posted there are no discounted LV bags like with the other brands.

Jennifer5973

Ideal_Rock
I am a huge Gucci and Fendi person...They just opened a Gucci at the Bellagio... the Fall 05 collection is to die for...i just got the book.
18.gif
30.gif

Blue824

Brilliant_Rock
Sundial,
I''d go for something different just based on the fact that you already have other LVs. I don''t have any LV because they''re not really my style, so I can''t compare their wear to pradas & guccis, except mine have held up extremely well...and I do not treat my bags well...at all (so bad I''m embarrased so I"ll refrain from sharing stories of my purse woes
3.gif
) Have fun shopping though! You''ll have to tell us what you get when you get back!

kaylagee

Brilliant_Rock
I have an Epi Alma in New Red that I love the most. I want a Cerise coin purse.
18.gif
I''m not generally fond of the Monogram bags but like the small items(porte monnaie, wallets, pochette) than can be carried inside the more subtle LV leather bags.

I also love my Tom Ford-era(flower bag, mombassa, hobo) Yves Saint Laurent bags!
30.gif
Some of the new ones are nice too.

My current dream wish-list (but probably won''t actually buy/ask for until the holidays) bag are the Chloe Paddington and the somewhat over-exposed Balenciaga Moto style.
37.gif

noobie

Brilliant_Rock
What do you think of this Marc Jacobs Stella, but in black?

p10596143_ph_hero.jpg

sevens one

Ideal_Rock
I love it Noobie.

jadeleaves

Brilliant_Rock
Ooohh handbags! That, and diamonds, are my only vice (since I quit smoking!)

I need to get my hands on one of these LV Monogram Denim Alligator bags, but there''s a WAITLIST for them here in Australia
29.gif

There''s also the cute monogram cerise with the red lizardskin straps, but they are not available in Australia because the lizardskin is not treated, and we have very strict quarantine laws here
38.gif

I''m hoping to pick one up overseas
11.gif
as I''m away for a month!

I agree also that LV is not for everyone, but LV monogram bags, and the chanel ''2.55'' bags are classics that will never go out of style.

LVDenimAlligator.jpg

DonaBella

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Noobie!

I adore having different bags to suit my needs, my moods or the occasion--even time of year!
emsmilep.gif
I have had Dooney and Bourkes, a nice Coach hobo, a fun DKNY in powder blue leather, a couple of 9 West handbags, a Guess going-out bag, a few other lesser quality but fun bags, and my fav, a black Marc Jacobs--a single rolled strap bucket-like hobo--that has 4 outside pockets...2 in front that are super for keys and gum...1 on either side of the strap, like for a cell phone and lip balm.
emthup.gif

Marc Jacobs are classic and always are a good investment...just not inexpensive.
emotion-18.gif
Its worth finding the style that works for you. I think the "Stella" bag is wonderful. I have a busy life and wanted a well made bag that could handle my life...I am NOT easy on bags either, but I prep the bag with leather protectant and I keep my bags clean.

Think about it...I am sure you will do what is right for you!
emotion-5.gif

Maxine

Brilliant_Rock

Love those denim bags!!!!!
30.gif

My thing is I''m overprotective of them!!! If it''s raining when I leave work, I put my signature Dooney Bag in a plastic bag to get to the car!!!! And I seldom carry my Gucci!!!
There''s a small LEATHER Doone bag locked in my car right now, because it was raining when I got back from the gym lsat night (and my garage is holding my kid''s stuff so I couldn''t just pull in under cover)....The problem with being so careful w/bags is that you never REALLY NEED a new one!!! But I look at them all the time!!
9.gif

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
Perhaps she read the same study I did and now finds them less then attractive. There was a study done about bags and they focused on LV ones and amoung female college students at something like 30 major universites the number of LV bags is directly purportional the amount of student debt, more debt more LV. Of course I am proably the only one on my campus who doesnt own at least one. Sometimes the connatations the bags brings us can color our veiw of how we think of them. I am not trying to say that anyone here is in debt over handbags I know ya''ll have way more sense then that.
I think they are cute but I am 22 and I just dont feel comfertable spending that much money on a purse. I have alot of coach purses since my dad had a patient who worked there and my BFF loves to buy them for me. I have D&B for the same reason other people have bought them for me. I did recently pruchase one but it was just so cute and to me the 100$ was a splurge. I tend to hoard and splurge. Personally I like to the single tone bag you posted I think it is cute. I think people ought to buy what makes them happy.

Blue824

Brilliant_Rock
Noobie, have you tried the stella bag on yet? Its really cute!! I fell in love with the pink one that was out last spring but I couldn''t find it anywhere, apparently it had sold out pretty quickly...Which is probably a good thing for my bank account
1.gif

Matatora, I didn''t read that study, but I''d be curious as to which schools they studied.

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
If I remember correctly they were all the SEC schools and some others.... mostly in the SE and that general area. I skimmed through it another girl was using to talk about a race study she was doing about weather or not studies were biased against certain populations. She thought that one was becuase the females who owned the most LV bags and the ones with the most debt were African American Females....honestly my first thought when reading it was who gave funding for this? And then what are we going to get from this infromation? I mean who did already know that college students today are making too many lux pruchases with CCs? I sent her a quick email to see if she could find me the study.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Haha I think it''s silly to equate LV bags to college kids debt, how about something more generic like # of credit cards per college student for debt ratios! That would give a much better idea. aka 10 cards to a freshman, typical and sad. I had tons of debt in college--but that''s in another thread. And I didn''t have an LV bag...I just had tons of other crap that I thought I needed. I am in huge support of a manage your money type class in HS for college-bound kids!

Greg refuses to ever buy me an LV bag, since they are made of ''vinyl''
20.gif
but I adore the classic ones. My pochette which is the cheapest, something like $185 and was popular 2 years ago or so is my staple small summer bag and I just love it. It wears so well and I stuff the thing full and it still holds up. I''ve gotten a few other bags, one of which was this awesome Fendi soft denim bag I got 2 years ago but it doesn''t wear as well as the LV at all and the denim isn''t treated for rain resistance or anything. So I always go back to my LV! I need a new one now..sometimes slightly bigger but still smallish under the shoulder. I tried big bags and they just irritate me!

CanadianGal

Rough_Rock
I LOOOOVE LV ... but lately it seems like EVERYBODY and their dog has at least one LV. And the amount of fakes out there is outrageous! If I am going to spend that much money on a purse, I don''t want to blend in! That is why I got this Chanel bag .... I LOVE IT!!!!!
bag_1.jpg

Sundial

Ideal_Rock
More and more gorgeous options! That Chanel bag is to die for! I''ve never priced theirs however and I am not sure if they are in the range I am willing to spend. I have the same concern about those cute new denim LV bags and I don''t know how easy they are to find. That Marc Jacobs Stella bag is terrific Noobie and it would be fabulous in black!!! I have also been checking out Gucci''s website and I love their new fall bags in the Guccissima leather. As for college students and going in debt for LV bags, I also wonder who funded such a ridiculous study. My college student daughter finds plenty of ways to spend money other than handbags!

Blue824

Brilliant_Rock

Great Chanel purchase, CanadianGal! So many bags I want, so little money

3.gif

I think LVs were probably just used as an example of frivilous spending. You''re right though, there are many other factors, most importantly, how easy it is to get a credit card. It really makes it easy to get in trouble.

My dislike is mostly for the monogrammed canvas LV ones because they are everywhere. There are some ok bags, I''ll admit that once I almost bought something in the monogrammed satin. For the monogrammed canvas, I just think it is too easily reproduced. In college I babysat for the 3yr old of this ridiculous woman who''d pay me $100/afternoon while the kid napped. All she did was shop. She loved purses and had a fabulous collection mixing budget with luxury. She had the pink MJ stella bag I lusted after. One day she brought home two fake LVs to compare to her same style real LV bags. The only noticeable difference on the exterior was the lock. The colors matched EXACTLY, even the feel. She actually ended up giving me one of the fakes and filled it with fun things for my graduation, but I don''t do the fake bag thing so my mom was like whatever I''ll use it. She has some friends that are complete snobs about their LVs. They complimented her and were like what a great bag! asking her how she liked her new LV, blahblahblah, and then she was like yeah, this was the fake LV that offends my daughter so she gave it to me. And they were shocked, even when they held up their bags for comparison. We still have a good laugh about that. There are some horrible fakes out there, but if you stick a little extra money into it, there are some very close replicas. The lady I babysat for was proud of herself for talking these bags down to $60 each since she was buying two. They weren''t from the typical street vendors either, she went to someones house to get them?!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results