shape
carat
color
clarity

Hand Cancel Invitations?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

AmberWaves

Ideal_Rock
I''m sending out the invitations today, and I was weighing the options of hand canceling. Did anyone do this?

jcrow

Ideal_Rock
sure did. brought them to the po and had it done.

AmberWaves

Ideal_Rock
Did they give you the stamp to do it, or did you just hand them over? I should probably do this, then.

Thanks, Jcrow!

Mandarine

Ideal_Rock
Sorry, I''m an idiot...but what is hand cancelling??
5.gif

janinegirly

Ideal_Rock
when the post office cancels the stamp by hand. it means the envelope won''t go through the machine and cancel the stamp with big ugly stamp.

i never knew this stuff either..now i know more than i ever wanted to know!

oh, to answer the question we had ours hand cancelled..it''s worth it and often free of cost (depends on post office).

E B

Ideal_Rock
What''s funny is that I didn''t even really KNOW what hand canceling was when I requested it at the post office. I had heard it was the preference of many brides and had something to do with the outer envelope looking nice, so I went with the flow.

It was really easy. I just handed the post office employee my box full of invitations and said, "These are for hand canceling, please", and he told me he''d put them in the hand-canceling section. Easy as pie.
9.gif

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
I had mine hand cancelled at the PO. They do it for you.

poshpepper

Ideal_Rock
Wow, it really is true... you learn something new everyday! I will have to keep this in mind for my invitations (wedding isn''t till 2009... but hey, never too early to start gaining info!)

jcrow

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/31/2007 12:21:59 PM
Author: AmberWaves
Did they give you the stamp to do it, or did you just hand them over? I should probably do this, then.

Thanks, Jcrow!

it depends on the po. some let you do the stamping if they aren''t busy. others do it for you.

turtledazzle

Brilliant_Rock
I also hand canceled mine, but the post office didn't do it for me -- they handed me a the stamper. Wasn't too terrible, but it did take maybe 15 minutes (I think I had around 100 invitations). Oh, and just FYI, you may want to call your post office first to ask if they will do the hand canceling. The first place I called would not do it (I think they are *supposed* to, but the person was not overly friendly), so I called the next closest PO and they said they would let me do it myself.

ETA: was posting at the same time as jcrow.

jcrow

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/31/2007 12:48:23 PM
Author: janinegirly
when the post office cancels the stamp by hand. it means the envelope won''t go through the machine and cancel the stamp with big ugly stamp.

i never knew this stuff either..now i know more than i ever wanted to know!

oh, to answer the question we had ours hand cancelled..it''s worth it and often free of cost (depends on post office).

not only the big ugly stamp, but you don''t want your invite to be squished into the sorting machine.

labbielove

Brilliant_Rock
I also did this, especially since I used a wax seal on ours and wanted to avoid as many machines as possible!

One piece of advice, if you show up right when they open, in theory less busy, they will be less grumpy about doing it.

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have never heard of this before but it''s good to know. I''m not sure I would have learned this unless reading this thread. Thanks Amber!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results