shape
carat
color
clarity

Hamburger Recipes?!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
We''re making homemade hamburgers tonite, does anyone have a good recipe they swear by? Normally Greg does the meat, egg, bread crumbs and that''s it...but I think tonite we may try mixing in some A1? Any other ideas?

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Try adding onion soup mix, Yummmmmm.

Jennifer5973

Ideal_Rock
Good dash of sea salt. Several grinds of fresh ground pepper. A good dose of A-1 Steak sauce. A small onion finely diced. Mix. Make patties.

I buy 93% lean meat (which can come out dry) and the onion and steak sauce are great to add moisture wihtout grease. You can also use ketchup in place of the steak sauce--very tasty. I also find you don't need egg or breadcrumbs for hamburgers.

I refrain from garlic powder since it starts, to me, to be edging towards meatball territory, alhtough I use mainly pork in mine. Something about the garlic....

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
I like mine just meat with no additives cooked on a grill with a-1, cheese and dill pickles on top.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
So we got the stuff and we are going to do egg and breadcrumbs (greg insists), finely diced onions and A1. Oh and we use 7% fat meat.

I got Greg the hamburger press from WS for his bday, we have been dying to try it out. AND I got him the meat brand from WS and I had it personalized with his initials...so I can''t wait to see our burgers branded with his monogram. We are so easily amused. Hah!

We also got swiss cheese (for G) and monterey jack (for me) sliced deli cheese.

YUM! I love Kaiser buns too so we got those. Macaroni salad and Corn round out the meal and I am making Oatmeal Choco Chip cookies for dessert.

Gosh my belly is already starting to swell just thinking about it!!

I''ll save the other suggestions for another time. I also found one online that used rosemary leaves and A1 if anyone is feeling creative.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
Here I thought this was a "I have a pound of ground beef what should I do with it". I was going to say get you a family sized box of Kraft Mac n Cheese, dump out about 1/3 of the noodles, make the beef and mix it in when you finish the macaroni.

I could be the spokeskid for the Blue Box because I seriously eat it 3 times a week. I only make half the noodles and all the cheese. I love the cheese. Mmmnoodlecheesesoup.

Kamuelamom

Brilliant_Rock
Usually I''m a fan of the plain ole'' egg, bread (or crackers) and onions kinda gal, but I''ve also ventured out to make kim chee burgers, and I''ve seen a great recipe using BBQ sauce (many flavors to choose from) instead of the A1. Also, I''ve used my aunty''s trick in adding a tablespoon of sweet pickle relish. Yum.

If anyone is itnerested in the kim chee patty version I''ll post it. This recipe was shared by my former neighbor, and published in my son''s cookbook which was a G/T project for school 2 yrs ago. What a great project that was! We got to try all his samples!!
36.gif

Jennifer5973

Ideal_Rock
Very interesting--I''ve never heard of using egg & breadcrumbs in hamburgers, only meatloaf! Is it a West coast thing?

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Sure KM post it!!

So we had the burgers and they were very good! We didn't have breadcrumbs so we had to do without, to Greg's chagrin...

He SWEARS that they are necessary to help PACK the burger. He wasn't really happy with how these were sticking together (or not)..but they seemed fine to me. I told him that they'd be fine once they were in our gullets.
31.gif
Oh and he's from the EC Jenn so I guess the breadcrumb thing is not solely a WC thing since I had never heard of it before either.

We also experimented with the brand, but the burgers were a bit too juicy to get a good SEAR going on. We'll have to try with steak this week.
9.gif

Thanks for the tips all. Any more good recipes?? Now that we have this burger press, it could get interesting. I LOVE Ahi Tuna burgers too.

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
I love this stuff by Heinz called Chili Sauce. I use it in marinades with worchestire. It is zippier than catsup but not too spicy (my kids like it). You can mix equal parts chili sauce with lea and perrins and make the burgers...it is so good...

njc

Brilliant_Rock
I know you have already made your tasty burgers, but i thought i would throw my recipe in anyways!

I get the leanest beef, mix in tons of Worcestershire sauce (love that stuff) and some salt and pepper. Never have problems with them drying out or falling apart.
Use the same recipe for turkey burgers, but i add a little bit of egg beaters to help hold it together!

Jen - ive only done breadcrumbs in meatloaf too... must be west coast!

K-mom - I would love the kim chee recipe too!

diamondfan - Heinz Chili Sauce is kinda like cocktail sauce (ketchsup and horseradish)... i love it too, but have never mixed it in with hamburgers. Will have to give it a try!

Kamuelamom

Brilliant_Rock
For Mara, njc and anyone else interested in trying this:

KIM CHEE PATTIES

1 lb ground beef
1/2 c. kim chee (chopped into about 1/4" size pcs)
2 eggs
1/2 c. green onions
2 T. cornstarch
1/2 c. round onion, roughly chopped (about 1 med size or 1/2 large onion)
1/2 t. salt
1 t. sugar

Mix all ingredients. Form into patties and fry or grill. Recipe could easily be doubled or tripled if you need more for entertaining.
2.gif
18.gif

Jennifer5973

Ideal_Rock
ooooh, I ahve to try that chile sauce thingy! I like a little kick!

I am sure there are 1,000,000 ways to make hamburgers...I was just so surprised about the egg!

I love a good burger on a soft sesame seed bun. I finally learned last year to LEAVE IT ALONE on the grill--I was one of those nudgers... I saw Bobby Flay do a show on burgers and he was like, "Don''t play with it! flip once! And don''t press on it with the spatula!"
6.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
I love getting burgers at nice restaurants. Left Bank here makes a fabulous burger and you can add bacon and guac or whatever, SO YUM. They also have unusual cheeses to add. But it''s a French restaurant. Go figure. Love their french fries too, they are the stringy long thin kind but not soggy. YUM!

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
When I make hamburgers I always add an egg or 2 and a little water. They always come out so juicy, Yummmm. Oh and skinny long french fries are the best!!!!
19.gif

nutty

Rough_Rock
I have 3 favorite ways of cooking hamburgers:

1) mix in a packet of powder Ranch dressing.
18.gif

2) sprinkle salt, pepper, worcestershire, dash of tabasco on the top while grilling
3) just plain ol'' salt and pepper sprinkled while grilling

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
NJC, it is in the condiment aisle. try it, I LOVE it. My dad, who died in 1981 used it and got me hooked!!!! That is what got me hooked, he did not love catsup...should take a poll on how people spell catsup...Let me know what you think. It is kicky but absolutely not too spicy...

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
Oh add fajita seasoning. Gives it a kick and tastes great. If you grill chicken and fish often you ought to get Clem Mikeska Seasoning we always use this when making fried chicken. Yummy!
30.gif

curlygirl

Ideal_Rock
I''m a little late on this one but I put finely chopped onions and parsley in the meat and also a bit of chili powder. I hadn''t heard of the bread crumbs but I''m going to try that next time!

jellybean

Brilliant_Rock
Sorry...late chiming in too!

We have always used bread crumbs in hamburgers, so it must be a midwest thing too.
2.gif

My grandmother used to put a tiny bit (maybe a tablespoon or two) of milk (yes, milk) in her hamburger mix, along with minced onions (the ones that come in the spice section), parsley, bread crumbs, 1 egg (per pound of meat), salt and pepper. Her hamburgers were always the best! The milk helps keep them from drying out.

I''ve always heard you need the bread crumbs to hold the mix together.

I have a recipe using mustard in the mix but I haven''t tried it yet.

Tali

Rough_Rock
So far this season, my fave burgers I''ve made had 2 eggs, worcestshire, soy sauce, chili powder, cumin, salt, pepper, minced onions, and oats. I almost always use oats instead of bread crumbs b/c I don''t buy breadcrumbs hardly ever, and almost always have oats. We bought 1/2 a beef this spring so we''ve got burger out our wazoos! I take solace that it''s organic meat, but I know I''m eating too much red meat!

MrsFrk

Brilliant_Rock
I have the meat grinder attachment for my Kitchen Aid. We grind our own meat (top round usually), freshly ground black pepper. Minimum handling of the patties. Drop onto a HOT grill, to get the nice caramelized crust on the outside. Cast iron pan if we aren't up for grilling. I am not a burger girl, but I love these babies.

Mara, I've had the Left Bank burger, it is gooooood.
1.gif
Blue cheese and bacon for me. The fries are fantastic. I could live on potatoes.

PaulaW

Brilliant_Rock
I''m a little late too but wanted to share this anyway. The other night, my hubby and I decided to mess around with our usual recipe and ended up adding chopped up roasted red pepper, chopped mozzarella, finely diced onion and garlic. We mixed it into the meat and made the patties and then sprinkled salt and pepper on them... OMG were they delicious!! We added a slice of provolone on good rolls and were in heaven!
Have fun!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results