shape
carat
color
clarity

hair salon tipping

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

biblobaggins23

Shiny_Rock
okay, i go to a salon where the colorists/stylists get credit for selling kerastase hair products when their clients buy them. my question is, should i still tip them on top of buying the product? or can i buy the product make up for the tipping? i know that when you get your makeup done anywhere, you can do this and thats okay. does this apply to hair? they always keep track of who is selling what product to what client and always ask me who i see when i buy the product. if could buy instead of tip, that would be great!! it would save me that extra cash! let me know!
1.gif

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
I always tip the hairdresser because that has to do with her effort and work. Them getting credit for selling products is a separate issue as far as I am concerned.
1.gif

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
My intincts say no... I always tip 20-25% even if I buy their product, but I may be in the minority.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I tip based on what my services cost, minus the product I buy. I think it''s fine to mention who recommended the product to you, that way the stylist/colorist will get "credit." However, I would not assume that that person gains a monetary benefit because you bought products based upon their recommendations. In other words, I don''t think it''s ok to assume that because you bought, say, $20 worth of product on top of a $100 cut or color, that the $20 automatically goes into your hairdresser''s pocket. I think it''s best to just tip based on what the charges for your services were, and not try to replace a cash tip with buying a product. One of my good friends manages a salon in Chicago, I''ll ask her how the incentive works for stylists and colorists who sell product.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/6/2007 8:01:46 PM
Author: monarch64
I tip based on what my services cost, minus the product I buy. I think it''s fine to mention who recommended the product to you, that way the stylist/colorist will get ''credit.'' However, I would not assume that that person gains a monetary benefit because you bought products based upon their recommendations. In other words, I don''t think it''s ok to assume that because you bought, say, $20 worth of product on top of a $100 cut or color, that the $20 automatically goes into your hairdresser''s pocket. I think it''s best to just tip based on what the charges for your services were, and not try to replace a cash tip with buying a product. One of my good friends manages a salon in Chicago, I''ll ask her how the incentive works for stylists and colorists who sell product.
Ditto here.

gailrmv

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/6/2007 8:02:34 PM
Author: Skippy123

Date: 3/6/2007 8:01:46 PM
Author: monarch64
I tip based on what my services cost, minus the product I buy. I think it''s fine to mention who recommended the product to you, that way the stylist/colorist will get ''credit.'' However, I would not assume that that person gains a monetary benefit because you bought products based upon their recommendations. In other words, I don''t think it''s ok to assume that because you bought, say, $20 worth of product on top of a $100 cut or color, that the $20 automatically goes into your hairdresser''s pocket. I think it''s best to just tip based on what the charges for your services were, and not try to replace a cash tip with buying a product. One of my good friends manages a salon in Chicago, I''ll ask her how the incentive works for stylists and colorists who sell product.
Ditto here.
I do the same. I tip 15-18% on the services minus products. I used to tip more like 20%, but my stylist now owns the salon and I read that tipping is optional when they are the owner.

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
I tip on the total for services too, and do not include any products that I buy. Even if they make a bit off that, I would assume it is not that much. Tips on services are the lifeblood. I do twenty percent because I am at my salon multiple times in a week and like to be fair. I do occasionally buy shampoos etc there, but do not factor it in.

bujiatang

Rough_Rock
I''d expect that any comission they get is going to be 10% or less. I tip 15-25% dependign on how much attention the stylist is paying. I am going bald, so a bad haircut makes me look like a boob for a month or till it is long enough to get fixed. So if the person cutting my hair is not taking the time to cut it well, I''m not going to tip as well, but I always give something.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
I always tip 20-25% for services. If I purchase a product or two, this would be an additional bonus for the stylist.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
typical salon markup is 100%
ie: sells $10, costs $5, commission will be $1, $4 profit for the owner.

Diamond Luver

Rough_Rock
I tip 20-25% and do not include the products.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results