shape
carat
color
clarity

Hair Pins

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock
I've been thinking of getting some type of hair decoration rather than doing a veil. As much as my friends think a veil would look awesome, I'm just not a veil girl. My dress is a bit retro (it's the first one in this thread: https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/dress-pics.102353/) and I think a cool hair pin would really stick with the style. Plus, I could wear it all night. I'm worried about spending money on a veil that I'll want to rip out right after the ceremony (and I'm worried about messing up my hair when I do take it off)

Anybody know good places to get hair pins? I can find a ton online, but I think I really need to see some in person to make a decision. I live in CT and can make it to NY occasionally to look.

Also, does anyone have any advice on which one to get? Like, should you stick to a certain size, do some look better than others in pics? There are just so many styles from really delicate to really over the top with feathers and flowers, I'm not sure how to find my style and pick something that will look awesome. Any suggestions are welcome!

ETA: If it helps, my hairstyle will be something kind of simple and a little retro, all up. I have very straight hair, so anything with curls is out (because I don't ever have curls in regular life, so I might as well stick with straight for my wedding).

katamari

Ideal_Rock
Vintage shops! Without a doubt--particularly if you have access to NYC. You could also go to a hipster-DIY shop if you have any. In Columbus (where I am), there are a ton, and often you can work with one of the crafters to make anything you want.

For bridal, I tend to like things large and overstated--at least the size of a coaster (odd reference, I know, but when I was looking around it seemed like the best size). Etsy is a great place to look for inspiration and if you search for bridal accessories a bunch will pop up.

To me, your dress screams birdcage veil, though. I hate that they are becoming super trendy because I have always loved them, but they are way vintage and crazy funky.

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for the suggestions Katamari! I love birdcage veils too, but FI hasn''t liked the few that I showed him
8.gif
I know he would ultimately be ok with whatever I pick, but I don''t want to pick something I know he''s not a fan of (pretty much the same situation that Sunnyd is in). So that''s how I got the hair pin/comb idea, because it''s somewhat similar to the birdcage, but without the veil part.

Vintage stores are a great idea. FSIL says that there is a fantastic vintage costume jewelry store in Boston so the next time we''re up there she''s going to take me. Hopefully I''ll find something awesome there or in NY. There are probably even vintage type stores in the riches CT towns, so I''ll have to look into it.

And I had to laugh at your coster analogy. It makes sense! I think I''m afraid to jump out there and go bold with something big, but hey, go big or go home
2.gif
. If I''m not wearing a veil I want something that pops.

BeachRunner

Brilliant_Rock
I''d try Etsy.com. I browsed through some wedding hair accessories and there are some very cute pieces.

Take a Look!

BeachRunner

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/12/2009 1:31:54 PM
Author: BeachRunner
I''d try Etsy.com. I browsed through some wedding hair accessories and there are some very cute pieces.

Take a Look!

I didn''t see that katamari had already suggested etsy. So, I second the idea
2.gif

mayachel

Brilliant_Rock
hair comes the bride has a great assortment of hair pins. Some of them look very diy too, if that''s your thing.

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock
Thanks BeachRunner and Mayachel! My only problem with etsy is that they have so many things and I''m easily overwhelmed ... Haha. After 5 minutes I''m only 10% of the way through the products. I don''t know how all of you have the patience!

I''m definitely checking it out though, at least to get ideas. I still wish I could try something on first ... can you return things you order off of etsy if you don''t like them?

BeachRunner

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/12/2009 2:12:38 PM
Author: elrohwen
Thanks BeachRunner and Mayachel! My only problem with etsy is that they have so many things and I''m easily overwhelmed ... Haha. After 5 minutes I''m only 10% of the way through the products. I don''t know how all of you have the patience!

I''m definitely checking it out though, at least to get ideas. I still wish I could try something on first ... can you return things you order off of etsy if you don''t like them?

Good question as I''ve never used Etsy. But, its like E-bay, a bunch of individual sellers on the site, so I''m sure each seller could have a different return policy.

Honey228

Shiny_Rock
Feather fascinator? I think that would go well with your retro look. You could go big with it or smaller and I think it''s still different enough to get noticed. What color do you want? White? Something blue? Wedding colors? Sparkly? Flower? If you let me know more about what you want, then I''ll look through etsy for you.

Here''s a flower with feathers.

il_155x125.41193625.jpg

Honey228

Shiny_Rock
Headband.

il_155x125.55035719.jpg

Honey228

Shiny_Rock
Something blue.

il_430xN.51441118.jpg

Honey228

Shiny_Rock
Um this one didn't work. All of these are from Etsy I think for $5-15.

Honey228

Shiny_Rock
Cool curly feathers.

il_430xN.56179850.jpg

Honey228

Shiny_Rock
Peacock.

il_155x125.51678041.jpg

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock
Honey228, you're really good at this! Um, I want something white I think. Our wedding colors are blue and orange (pretty much the same color blue as my shoes), so I don't want to do too much blue. I'm kind of drawn to the flowers, but when I think about them many of them are a bit too beachy for a September wedding in New York. I love the ones with feathers. Maybe a flower with feathers would work? You had some great suggestions. And yours are cheap! The ones I'm finding are often $40-50, which is fine, but I'd want to be able to return it if I didn't like it. For $5 I wouldn't even care if I could return it!

ETA: I also like the ones similar to this:
http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?ref=cat3_list_7&listing_id=20286209
They would be pretty subtle because my hair is kind of that brownish red color anyway, but I like subtle, so it may not be such a bad thing. I'm still getting used to the idea of potentially wearing something white with feathers sticking out of it. Way out of my league! Haha. But if I can wear a short dress with blue shoes, I don't know why I have a fashion hangup with putting something big in my hair
2.gif

BeachRunner

Brilliant_Rock
flower and feather.

$25

il_430xN.55619454.jpg

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock
Thanks Emerald. She has some gorgeous stuff!

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock
Thanks honey228! I just talked to my mom and she said she doesn''t like the ones with flowers or feathers ...
20.gif
I''m looking at the crystal ones now because that''s what she likes. I''ll have to find out what FI likes, because he''ll probably have some strong opinions too.

Not that I mind them having strong opinions, because I''m ridiculously indecisive with jewelry and it helps to have the search narrowed down. With the dress and the shoes, I knew what I wanted the instant I saw them. But with my earrings and hair clip, I''ve become such a waffler. Lol

Honey228

Shiny_Rock
Aw darn, I really liked the one you posted too.

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/12/2009 3:51:51 PM
Author: Honey228
I know! I do really like that second one I posted though.

vintagelover229

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/12/2009 4:53:31 PM
Author: elrohwen

Date: 2/12/2009 3:51:51 PM
Author: Honey228
I know! I do really like that second one I posted though.

The 2nd one you posted is my favorite so far. It has a vintage feel to it, and I LOVE IT! It would look great with your dress!
Have you thought about adding a vintage brooch to anything? Like the flowers, shoes, or even the dress? It can add bling and look so tasteful it done right!

That dress looks fab on you btw!

katamari

Ideal_Rock
I am so loving this thread! I see a large credit card bill in my future. . .

I think the jeweled ones are equally beautiful and actually feel more vintage (instead of modern-vintage). I can''t wait to see which one you pick.

CDNinNYC

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/12/2009 2:05:58 PM
Author: mayachel
hair comes the bride has a great assortment of hair pins. Some of them look very diy too, if that''s your thing.
I love some of the pins on this site!

kama_s

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just bought this. Not sure if it''s your style, but it''s crystal. I haven''t received it yet, but if you like it I can post pics of how it looks on when it gets here!

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock
Wow kama, I looove that pin you bought! It''s gorgeous. You absolutely have to post pics when you get it.

Redrose, I had never thought of adding a brooch ... Well, maybe a pin is my version of a brooch, just in my hair
2.gif
I''ll be keeping my eye out for brooches and hair pins now. So much shopping to do!
3.gif

And a quick update: I''m seriously considering purchasing the second one that I posted. My only issue is that it''s $40 and nonreturnable ... what if I find something I like more in a few weeks? This all goes back to my general jewelry indecisiveness. Haha

Honey228

Shiny_Rock
I found this for $25. I''m a sucker for anything with miligrain.

I still like the ones from lulusplendor though. I like the color of the antique brass.

yhst-65722464334577_2038_974121.gif

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock
After going through 167 pages of Etsy hair accessories, I decided to go for it and order this one:
http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?listing_id=20416775

I may find something I like better, but if I didn''t find anything better in 167 pages, hopefully it''s a relatively safe purchase
1.gif

Now I have to make sure the earrings that I liked will still go with it ...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results