shape
carat
color
clarity

Hair Help - Calling Italia or any other hair gurus!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

joflier

Ideal_Rock
Ok, so I have naturally light/medium brown hair w/ red undertones. I accidentally dyed it black last month. I''m totally broke, so I always just do it myself, and never really have any problems. Ok, so it turned jet black. I went to a salon, and they stripped it so it was a really dark brassy color, and then colored it a dark brown w red tones. So I just hate it and am wanting to lighten it. My aim is to eventually get back to strawberry blond. Is there a certain color that''s best to go with to start this lightening process? Will anything even take while its this dark?

Thanks girls!

joflier

Ideal_Rock
Here''s a picture, so you kinda have an idea.

reallydarkhair.jpg

Irishgrrrl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Aw, Jo! I like it! In fact, that''s pretty close to my color (except I''m a little less red and I have light brown/blondish highlights). I think it''s cute on you!
21.gif

VegasAngel

Brilliant_Rock
Sorry, but I think it looks really pretty! Your eyes POP.

Bia

Ideal_Rock
I also love the color. Not everyone can pull off that shade of brown. Plus, I agree that it does make your blue eyes stand out. Your eyes are beautiful, btw !

My hair is dark brown. Usually with golden highlights, rather than red. Now I am inspired to change it up a bit. Hmmmmm...

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ok, I know nothing about hair color (even though I do my own). I think that hair color looks great on you! Your
hair looks so healthy and shiny and it really makes the blue eyes stand out. Can you try to live with it for a while
and see if you can get use to it or are you totally against it? I love your cut too. Very flattering!

joflier

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for the nice compliments ladies. I''ve had it this color for almost a month, and I just haven''t gotten used to it. I just plain old don''t like it. I work under flourecscent lights all day, and that makes it look more blackish. The reds only come out in soft lighting or sun. The flash of the camera made the top of my head look lighter in this picture.

purrfectpear

Ideal_Rock
I''m a DIY colorist too, however, when I''m going from dark to light I always pay for the salon colorist. Once it''s light, then I can maintain with over the counter box color.

This can easily go wrong, so pay a salon for the initial color.

Italiahaircolor

Ideal_Rock
Please forgive this abreviated version, I am not in my office today so I am answering this via my phone...

Basically there is nothing you can do at home that will lighten your hair. Color can only make your hair darker because color does not lift color. The only way to pull color from your hair is to bleach it out, which I strongly advise against doing in your home since it''s a very complicated process and if it goes wrong, it goes really wrong.

I would suggest going to the salon for highlights. This will break up the heaviness of the color while still maintaining the integrity of your hair.

joflier

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/21/2009 12:37:04 PM
Author: Italiahaircolor
Please forgive this abreviated version, I am not in my office today so I am answering this via my phone...

Basically there is nothing you can do at home that will lighten your hair. Color can only make your hair darker because color does not lift color. The only way to pull color from your hair is to bleach it out, which I strongly advise against doing in your home since it's a very complicated process and if it goes wrong, it goes really wrong.

I would suggest going to the salon for highlights. This will break up the heaviness of the color while still maintaining the integrity of your hair.
So w/ highlights, do they just use a bleach to do that?

ETA - So putting in light brown will basically do nothing or make it even darker?

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I totally agree, go to the salon for highlights to start the lightening process. This is what my daughter has done, and what I do to avoid a too dark look which isn''t flattering to me (i have to cover grey!). You can do this every 6 weeks until you get the colour you want, without killing your hair. I agree though, the current colour seems to look fantastic on you!

Italiahaircolor

Ideal_Rock
Yes, if you put color on top of your hair right now it will look darker.

Yes, highlights are bleach...but it''s done differently using smaller sections.

sunnyd

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/21/2009 6:16:24 PM

What about those ''made for brunettes'' colors? They''re supposed to lighten dark hair. I''ve never used one though.

Italiahaircolor

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/21/2009 6:24:05 PM
Author: sunnyd

Date: 4/21/2009 6:16:24 PM

What about those ''made for brunettes'' colors? They''re supposed to lighten dark hair. I''ve never used one though.
Well, if it''s virgin hair then yes you can go lighter...but deposited color cannot be lightened using color.

Lill_The_Thrill

Shiny_Rock
I don''t have any advice for you
7.gif
, but I just wanted to say that Your hair looks gorgeous...

princesss

Ideal_Rock
Oh honey, please go to a salon. I was talking to my stylist, and he said that while block colour can cost between $55 and $150, colour correction (like what would happen if you tried to lighten it at home and wreck it) starts at $175 and climbs rapidly. Trying to use a $7 box isn''t worth it if you dye your hair carrot orange and have to get it corrected.

joflier

Ideal_Rock
Ok, so I did end up coloring it myself. Lol - sorry girls, I just couldn''t help myself. I truely wish I had the $ to go to a salon and just get some nice highlights or redone that way, but spare money is hard to come by. But thank you for your thoughts and advice (even if I''m not the best at following it)
3.gif

I used a light auburn/red color in my hair. I''m pleased with the results. It did lighten up just a touch with more red to it again. Still isn''t near where I want it, but definitely an improvement. I think if I do that another time or 2 it should be just right. One question though - how much time should you give your hair in between colorings so as not to damage it? I usually go about 4 weeks, but can I do it sooner?

Italiahaircolor

Ideal_Rock
Length between color appointments depends greatly on the integrity of your hair and how you''ve been treating it. I''d put down the color for at least four weeks and give myself conditioning treatments to rebalance my hair.

While it might not seem like a "big deal" because how badly can color damage your hair, right? Well, you''re lifting your cuticle each and every time you apply the color which isn''t recommended to be done often. Give it it a break or you will start to see damage.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Your hair looks great that color!

joflier

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/23/2009 3:38:47 PM
Length between color appointments depends greatly on the integrity of your hair and how you''ve been treating it. I''d put down the color for at least four weeks and give myself conditioning treatments to rebalance my hair.

While it might not seem like a ''big deal'' because how badly can color damage your hair, right? Well, you''re lifting your cuticle each and every time you apply the color which isn''t recommended to be done often. Give it it a break or you will start to see damage.
Hair dummy question: What does lifting the cuticle mean?

Thank you MC!

Italiahaircolor

Ideal_Rock
The hair has three layers...the cuticle, cortex and medulla. The cuticle is the outter most layer of the hair with gives it the shine, smooth finish, and protects the hair from fading and other damage

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results