shape
carat
color
clarity

Hair Extension Pieces

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

shimmer

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Hi,

Just wondering if anyone has used or is planning to use hair extensions or pieces for your wedding day hair.

I have shoulder-length hair but have always wanted a voluminous updo for my wedding day. I can''t seem to find any hair styles for shoulder length hair! I have such fine hair an updo without any additions would be about the size of an apricot (in a bun).

This is what I dream my hair will look like: Do you think it''s possible? What would I need--those pony tail additions or full on extensions?

hair updo project wedding.jpg

shimmer

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Sometimes I want hair like this though:

wedding hair hair1000298937.jpg

shimmer

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I have tried those Jessica Simpson Hair extensions clip in piece but it kept falling out or showing through because my hair is so thin. So that is not an option
7.gif

lauralu

Brilliant_Rock
I asked my hairdresser about hair extensions. She said she never has used them and that she can make me look like I have 5 times the hair I do. Her salon does a ton of weddings so I guess I believe her. However, I think I would really like to have them just to add volume as well as I think another color that is a darker or lighter variation of what I already have would be awesome as well.

Can''t wait to see what others recommend..

sunnyd

Ideal_Rock
...bumping to the top because I think Haven used extensions at her wedding...

BeachRunner

Brilliant_Rock
Shimmer! I feel your pain. I too, have shoulder length hair and want long locks for my wedding. My hair is fine, but I have a lot of it.

I hope someone can chime in regarding clip-in extensions!

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
I considered getting extensions, not for length but for volume. My hair is layered, with the shortest layers shoulder-length and the longest near the bottom of my shoulder blades. I think the length is OK for most styles, but my hair is very fine and probably too fine for the style I like. But my hairstylist does not do extensions, so I would have to get them somewhere else, which would be a pain. I think I''ll just go all-natural.

shimmer

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Thank you guys for your input!

My wedding is in Maui so I have no hair trial with the stylist, I''m a little nervous about what to do. I''ll check if he uses extensions at all.

Winks_Elf

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I use extensions all the time. I'm letting my hair grow out, and the longer part is down to my collar now, but the stupid shorter layers on the sides are chin-length, thanks to a bad hair cut!

I love the picture that someone posted of the lady below, and I may borrow some of that style for my wedding day hair. For my hair, the easiest thing to do would be to use PutOnPieces 2-piece hair system.

I found it by a great seller on Ebay that sells close outs (brand new, in package, not used!) and she has my color. I am not very fond of the extensions with the little clips that you have to put all over and separate your hair into sections, etc. My hair in the front is a little thinner than the back, and I would want to get volume from the extensions, so that piece would work the best for me.

I also use a Revlon medium length interlocking comb shag ponytail that I absolutely LOVE! It's so easy to put on (just put top and bottom into two separate pony tails), and it doesn't give me a headache like the jaw clips do. It satisfies my longer hair craving while allowing me to get through a bad hair day without running to the hair dresser to get my locks chopped off (as I normally wind up doing when trying to grow out my hair). My honey loves the way they look, and he's all about playing with the hair! I think he's messed with his hair more than I have. :)

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
I had extensions on my wedding day, and I LOVED them!

Here's a link to my wedding pictures, you can see my 'do there.

I had a stylist come to our location and put the extensions in right before the ceremony. They were real human hair, and they went on in strips. Loved them. I totally recommend them.

Are you in the Chicago area? If so, let me know and I'll give you my stylist's contact info.

ETA: Good call Sunny!

Winks_Elf

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
The picture attachment isn''t working, but someone had posted a hair collage here, and I loved the way it looked. Front pulled up and back, loose waves in the back, and lots of volume up top. Very pretty.

For the others who are wanting to play around, go to wigs.com and register. You''ll become a "member", and get discounts and emails that will give you extra off what you buy there. Even if you only buy one set of extensions, it''s well worth it.

allycat0303

Ideal_Rock
I''m going to have to get some, mostly because I have about 1.5 inchs of hair on one side of my head since the accident. I called my hair stylist and she said I should order them in March (Wedding is in June) she said it was about $350-500, real hair (and that it would actually match my black hair). Apparently it comes in a box and I can reuse them later. In any case, I told my fiance and he kind of freaked out. Something about the the human-hair, not of Ally origin, in the house which he found weird. I''ll probably have a hair trial sometime in March. If it doesn''t give me adequate coverage (or look hideous) I''m going to have to come up with a plan B. She says no one will notice, but I have my doubts.

Winks_Elf

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Date: 2/11/2009 5:21:55 PM
Author: shimmer
I have tried those Jessica Simpson Hair extensions clip in piece but it kept falling out or showing through because my hair is so thin. So that is not an option
7.gif

Actually, it sounds like you need an integration piece. It''s a honeycomb design that lets you pull your own hair through the cap, and not only is that more secure, but it is soooo comfortable! You can match your own hair perfectly, or go with a slightly different shade to make it look like your hair is highlighted. It will give you the fullness without a lot of hardware. I can''t remember who makes them, but I''m pretty sure I saw them on Ace custom wigs. They''re a lot less expensive than traditional piece, and so much easier to use than the clippy ones.

shimmer

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Melissa--Thank you! I will look into the integration type extension, I haven't heard of that before. We sound a lot alike, I have only made it two inches past my shoulders in the last, um, 6 years of 'growing' my hair out! I always cut it when it gets too frustrating.

Haven--You inspired me to consider extensions for my wedding day! I have looked at your thread and your hair is gorgeous (and you too)!

Ally--My FI is freaked out by human hair extensions too, but ultimately it will be my decision as I want to feel like a goddess on my wday
2.gif
I doubt he'll even notice, his mind will be elsewhere
31.gif

ETA: Melissa, are the PoP extensions the ones from the ebay seller? Are they human or synthetic?

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
shimmer--The extensions were definitely worth it. For some reason, a head full of long, thick, gorgeous hair made me feel so glamorous and beautiful on my wedding day.

BeachRunner

Brilliant_Rock
Haven- Your hair was lovely! Have you ever reused your extensions after the wedding?

I''ve heard hair extensions should be made from real hair, as synthetic hair may melt when heat is added. EEk
32.gif

lliang_chi

Ideal_Rock
A friend of mine is a hair stylist (she does weddings) and she said hair extensions are really great for updo''s, and you can''t tell they''re not your real hair. And you also don''t need to use the really fancy stuff either. Sometimes "fake hair" can be used to just build a foundation, and your real hair will be the decorative loops and curls that go around the foundation. I hope this makes sense....

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks, Beach. I threw the extensions out after the wedding, they were glue-in strips, so I was never going to wear them again. But I did buy two different Jessica Simpson extensions, and I LOVE them. I wear them when I want to feel sexay.

shimmer

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Haven, which extensions do you have from JS?

I have the one piece human hair that has 5 clips and it is so heavy it will not stay in, or when it does you can see it through my (very fine) hair! Have you had success with this one?

Let me find a picture:

Ok it''s called Hairdo, now I see they have a ton more options than when I got this a few years ago.

hair extension hairdo by js.jpg

newbie124

Brilliant_Rock
Haven! - How long do you think your wedding day extensions would have lasted if you hadn''t taken them out? Do you think your stylist would be available to just put them in but not necessarily do any styling?

I''m also going to need extensions, but haven''t figured out which ones to buy yet and it''s sounding like the clip-ins may not stay in place well for my hair either. But I don''t know if my day-of stylist out in CA would know how to handle the glue-in kind plus it''d be harder for her to find some for me to match my hair when I''m not in town. So I''m wondering if maybe I should try to have someone attach them before we leave for the wedding?

BeachRunner

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/11/2009 10:56:06 PM
Author: Haven
Thanks, Beach. I threw the extensions out after the wedding, they were glue-in strips, so I was never going to wear them again. But I did buy two different Jessica Simpson extensions, and I LOVE them. I wear them when I want to feel sexay.

Haven Do you think the Jessica Simpson extensions would suffice for a wedding?

shimmer

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Date: 2/12/2009 12:14:14 PM
Author: newbie124
Haven! - How long do you think your wedding day extensions would have lasted if you hadn''t taken them out? Do you think your stylist would be available to just put them in but not necessarily do any styling?

I''m also going to need extensions, but haven''t figured out which ones to buy yet and it''s sounding like the clip-ins may not stay in place well for my hair either. But I don''t know if my day-of stylist out in CA would know how to handle the glue-in kind plus it''d be harder for her to find some for me to match my hair when I''m not in town. So I''m wondering if maybe I should try to have someone attach them before we leave for the wedding?

Newbie--I have tried the human hair taped pieces, I put them in myself (using one of those tri-fold mirrors and a lot of patience). There were about 10 pieces for my whole head. They lasted 2-3 weeks, I only took them out b/c it was summer and I got too hot
10.gif
You can wash your hair with them in, you just have to be careful to not get conditioner near the tape or use the blow dryer (heat) near it.

I would definitely put them in before you leave! It''s tough to get the right color, and it has to be exact match IMO to look natural.

shimmer

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Thanks Haven for all of your help
35.gif

newbie124

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/12/2009 12:22:19 PM
Author: shimmer

Newbie--I have tried the human hair taped pieces, I put them in myself (using one of those tri-fold mirrors and a lot of patience). There were about 10 pieces for my whole head. They lasted 2-3 weeks, I only took them out b/c it was summer and I got too hot
10.gif
You can wash your hair with them in, you just have to be careful to not get conditioner near the tape or use the blow dryer (heat) near it.

I would definitely put them in before you leave! It''s tough to get the right color, and it has to be exact match IMO to look natural.

Ooh, really? How did they feel in your hair? Is there a reason why you''re not considering using them again?

Also, do you recall which brand you used? I went to the wigs.com site and it''s so overwhelming how many different options there are!

shimmer

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Date: 2/12/2009 12:45:59 PM
Author: newbie124

Ooh, really? How did they feel in your hair? Is there a reason why you''re not considering using them again?

Also, do you recall which brand you used? I went to the wigs.com site and it''s so overwhelming how many different options there are!

It was actually surprisingly comfortable, compared to the heavy JS piece. I was not considering using them again because I thought for the bun/chignon it might be easier to just have one piece wrapped around the bun for the extra volume. Plus, I''ll be in Maui for 9 days and I''m not sure I want all that extra hair in that heat!!

I looked at a hair extension forum for suggestions. I purchased them from the Super Hair Factory, called Seamless Extension System, it was pre-taped and pre-cut so all I had to do was put them in. I made a hug mistake and ordered Yaki texture (thicker, coarser hair) so it REALLY didn''t blend with my fine hair. I would get the Silky Straight if I ordered it again.

After lurking on the forum, I learned that the Bohyme weave is the best hair for value. I purchased it after the Yaki mistake, but I haven''t worked up enough guts to do all the glue, taping and cutting. I have to run to work now! Be back later.

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
shimmer--I have the super long JS extensions, one curly and one straight. I don''t know exactly which ones they are, but my real hair is really long so I bought the longest extensions possible.
They are the same type as the ones you have, just darker and longer. :)
I tease my hair with a tight comb and hair spray at the sections where the combs go in to make sure they''ll stay in, otherwise they slip right out.
The tape-in extensions you used sound awesome!

newbie--My stylist said they could have stayed in for a week, and I believe it. She gave me this great oily stuff to use to get them out, and I took them out the day after just because I didn''t want them to get nasty on our honeymoon.
I bet she''d be able to put them in before the wedding, but I''m not certain. I can get you her info when I''m home later tonight.

BeachRunner--I''m not sure about the JS extensions for a wedding because they''re heavy and they get a bit itchy after a few hours. My best friend was adamantly against me getting the glue-in extensions because she said I should just buy the JS ones, but I didn''t want to feel one bit of discomfort. I would try to find them on sale (I bought both of my extensions half off at Ulta) and try them out a couple times before the wedding. You might find them comfortable.
Other than the discomfort, they really don''t move around at all, so they''d LOOK fab all night.

Winks_Elf

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Date: 2/11/2009 9:38:05 PM
Author: Haven
shimmer--The extensions were definitely worth it. For some reason, a head full of long, thick, gorgeous hair made me feel so glamorous and beautiful on my wedding day.

This is exactly why I wear some on my bad hair days! I am determined to get my hair past my shoulders before I chop it off again!!!
9.gif

I also found that with the synthetic, they can sometimes be too shiny, if that makes sense. If you use one of the ponytails, or comb falls, it helps if you use a product that will make your own hair really shiny like having your own hair slightly damp when you put it in a pony tail, spray it with hairspray and then put on the fall. That makes the "shine level" between natural hair and synthetic blend better. Another great thing about the synthetic - the volume and the style don't drop off throughout the day like with human. That's a major bonus for warm weather events.

Thought I should mention that there are heat resistant synthetics too! You can flat iron them, use a curling iron, etc.

newbie124

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks, shimmer! I found the Bohyme, but couldn''t tell how one would go about getting it in...I''m kind of all about simplicity when it comes to this stuff as I hate fussing with my hair. The only time I ever even blow dry is we''re going somewhere nice and I don''t feel entirely lazy :razz:

Haven - That''d be great if you could pass on your stylist''s info! Do you happen to remember how much the extensions were? If I remember correctly she bought them for you, right?

On wigs.com I also found this brand called "easiVolume." I think this might be one of those integration-type extensions.

This is the description from the site:
"The ultimate solution for thinning or fine hair! Created for those wanting full, lush voluminous hair, the easivolume can be applied in seconds and will attach safely and securely without causing damage to your own hair. easiVolume is 100% human hair and can be flat-ironed, blow-dried and/or curled. Style as you would your own hair. The unique base allows additional security and natural blending by simply pulling your own hair through the honeycomb holes...perfect for all hair types. This 1 piece instant volumizer is a quick, easy, do-it-yourself way to add length and volume to your hair!"

I guess the one disadvantage w/ this type is that you can''t adjust the length by placing individual pieces in different sections of your hair. I''m not exactly sure yet what style I want, but it will definitely be pulled back, probably in a loose bun or curls, so maybe 14" might be long enough?? I will need volume up top, though, which is one reason why this one seems appealing...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results