shape
carat
color
clarity

hair and makeup woes

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

maddie80

Shiny_Rock
Hi ladies,

I need a little bit of advice. I had my hair and makeup trial last week and I am having second thoughts about the woman I booked. She did my hair absolutely perfectly, it was even better than I could have imagined! But, when it came to my makeup, it was not what I wanted. I felt like there was way too much makeup, like the colors (down to the eye colors, foundation tone, and the lipstick) were also not right for me. When I tried to tell her that I usually wear my makeup differently, she did not seem very open to change and said it had to be that way for pictures. I am a little bit frustrated. It would be one thing if the makeup weren''t right but she was open and willing to make it something I liked, but I almost felt scolded! The question is, what do I do now? I love the hair, but I didn''t love the makeup or her energy. I am a little worried about being pushed around on my wedding day when I will already be stressed. Should I keep her for hair and cancel for makeup? Or keep her for hair and try to convince her of what I want for makeup? Or move on and try to find someone new who can do a great job of both (even if the hair is not 100% perfect) and makes me feel at ease? I ended the day yesterday frustrated and sad!

Thanks!

Tybee

Brilliant_Rock
Poor thing!

I''m all about being up front with people.
I think you should contact her and let her know your exact concerns: You LOVED the way she did your hair (always start with the positive!) but you have some concerns about the make-up. Let her know that you were feeling frustrated and sad after the fact because you did not feel like you were being heard. If she is a professional at all, she will listen to you and respect your concerns. If she is not, well... then.. she really isn''t the woman you want for the job.
Good luck.

Tybee

DonaBella

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/16/2006 9:46:47 AM
Author:madeleine
Hi ladies,

I need a little bit of advice. I had my hair and makeup trial last week and I am having second thoughts about the woman I booked. She did my hair absolutely perfectly, it was even better than I could have imagined! But, when it came to my makeup, it was not what I wanted. I felt like there was way too much makeup, like the colors (down to the eye colors, foundation tone, and the lipstick) were also not right for me. When I tried to tell her that I usually wear my makeup differently, she did not seem very open to change and said it had to be that way for pictures. I am a little bit frustrated. It would be one thing if the makeup weren''t right but she was open and willing to make it something I liked, but I almost felt scolded! The question is, what do I do now? I love the hair, but I didn''t love the makeup or her energy. I am a little worried about being pushed around on my wedding day when I will already be stressed. Should I keep her for hair and cancel for makeup? Or keep her for hair and try to convince her of what I want for makeup? Or move on and try to find someone new who can do a great job of both (even if the hair is not 100% perfect) and makes me feel at ease? I ended the day yesterday frustrated and sad!

Thanks!
I totally can appreciate what you are saying here. For my son''s wedding, I booked a gal and her partner with whom I had interviewed just the first gal with my FDIL and all seemed well. Well, even though I didn''t remember the pix for my hair, she did great with it...different, but nonetheless, great. The makeup...another story. Her partner did choose a good foundation which did stay all day, but the rest...well, I ended up doctoring it in the bathroom. The sad thing is, I had booked her for myself and my two daughters and my one daughter didn''t like her makeup results either.

With that said, I wish I had insisted on a trial run for my makeup at least and then I would have probably just kept the hair part of what I commited to and got out of the cost and frustration of the makeup part. Quite honestly, my FDIL went to the MAC counter the day of her wedding in the morning and they did a remarkable job on her and I wished I had gone with either MAC or Smashbox for my own. But now I know to speak up or risk paying for a service that I do like or am happy with.

Your wedding day is too important for you to roll over and allow others to tell YOU what you want to do!

Just my 2 cents!

codex57

Brilliant_Rock
Be open, but do you have a picture of yourself with the makeup? I thought my wife looked heavily caked with makeup, but her facial features just seemed to "pop" more in the wedding photos. I thought she looked overdone in real life, but apparently, that can make you turn out better in the photos.

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
Definitely - did you take pics with that makeup on? Up close my wedding makeup was scary to me but it came out well in pictures. A friend of mine had more natural makeup...but in pictures it looks like she's not wearing any....and not in a good way!
face3.gif

ponderer

Shiny_Rock
Madeleine,

If you do not like the way you looked, then be upfront and either don''t have her do your make up or find someone else entirely.

I worked for major cosmetic company in college and supplemented my income by doing onsite wedding makeup. There is no excuse for her to be inflexible to your wishes. Makeup is a very personal thing and everyone has different tastes and this should be respected.

I reccommend that at the next makeup trial that you wear your full face of makeup to show the makeup artist what you normally feel comfortable wearing (colors and the amount). Wash it off and then ask them to start with a subtle look. From there the artist can add more for increased drama (it is much easier to add than to blend down).

That being said, I do reccommend that you wear a little more color (blush, eyeshadow and bronzer) than you normally would. Makeup does tend to fade, especially if it is hot out and the photographs do tend to wash you out a little. But there is no excuse for your foundation not matching your skin, or for you looking like a street walker.

maddie80

Shiny_Rock
Thanks ladies! I appreciate all your advice. I got pictures back from her and it was just like I suspected - I loooove the hair, haaate the makeup. I am going to write to her and let her know, and also ask her if it would be possible to bring an assistant. Her timeline is set up so that she will be starting to work on all of us at 11:00 to be ready by 4. I am worried that we will have to get up incredibly early to have everything set up before that. ARghhhh....

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results