shape
carat
color
clarity

Hair and Makeup Costs?

lucyandroger

Brilliant_Rock
My wedding planner suggested a makeup artist and hair stylist that is supposedly awesome. But, I think she is really expensive...or maybe I don't know what reasonable wedding hair and makeup costs.

I have really curly hair. This is what she would charge:

$245 - to blow out my hair, add extensions (actual extensions not included),then re-curl into big loose curls, and place veil
$250 - airbrush makeup, eyebrow shaping, and false eyelashes (if I want them)

I really hadn't budgeted $500 for hair and make up. Thoughts? Does this seem outrageous? Anyone willing to share what they paid?

Thanks!

princessk731

Rough_Rock
Wow that seems a bit excessive. I might get some other opinions. The cost for my hair (and I have a lot of it) she is putting it up is $75.00 (less when she blow dryed it out) and the make up (not airbrush but amazing job) was also $75.00 when I priced airbrush it was only about $125.00 but I didn't like the way it looked on me ( I have a green undertone to my skin, and they had a really hard time matching it). Just food for thought, but if you are really happy with it then go for it after all thats what you will notice in most of your pictures. For that amount of money do they atleast do a trial run? or do you have to pay an extra $500.00 for that? my concern would be not being able to see what I am getting for the $500.00.

lucyandroger

Brilliant_Rock
Hi princessk731, Thanks for sharing your costs. That sounds much more in line with what I was expecting. The $500 does include trial runs for both, I should have mentioned that.

My wedding planner loves this lady but I'm not sure if it's worth it. I'm going to ask her if she can recommend someone cheaper. On a daily basis, I barely wear makeup so it just seems crazy to me to spend $250 just for makeup!

turboflgrl

Shiny_Rock
This is who I am using:

Make Up - kimtasha.com - $160 (discounted since I'm using her for my bridesmaids)
Airbrush isn't an extra cost by I prefer my Dior foundation so I'm having her use it and also includes eyelashes

Hair - caseydoeshair.com - $180
Any updo, no extensions as of right now, and placement of veil

Both are highly recommended in my area and very popular choices - seems to be on the high end down here in FL. The prices you were quoted are outrageous in my opinion.

vc10um

Ideal_Rock
My hair and makeup, including eyelashes and a trial run of both, in Kansas City, with one of the most highly-recommended artists in town, is $250. Total.

lucyandroger

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks turboflgrl and vc10um! I guess that quote really was expensive!

I think I need to talk to my wedding planner about the budget again...

Autumnovember

Ideal_Rock
Wow....waaaaay too much. SO lives in an area with very very upscale salons and they're definitely on the pricey side, but they would never charge that much!

Personally, I will be spending about 100$ on hair and an additional 50-60$ on makeup. I think you should look around and get some consultations from various salons.

P.s. I am like you and do not wear a lot of make-up on a daily basis so it seems absurd to me to spend anymore than 60 for my make-up. I'm trying to look the same way I do on a normal basis with just a bit of emphasis and oomf!

Guilty Pleasure

Brilliant_Rock
I paid $50 for hair ($40 plus tip), and a family friend who does makeup (works at Sephora) did my makeup. I did do a trial run on hair and makeup when I did bridal portraits (paid same price for trial hair), and I also bought new foundation, lipstick, one eyecolor and mascara. I would have needed those products regardless of having my makeup done though. Our friend threw in a lot of free stuff while she was doing my makeup, like the loose powder, a small tube of foundation primer, an eyeshadow, some other sample freebies, etc.

My mom put my veil on me at the church; it wasn't complicated, so I can't imagine paying "extra" for someone to place it on my head.

That definitely seems excessive, especially for the hair. I haven't looked into make up costs yet, but the gal at my salon who does updos (and did my last one when I was MOH for my best friend) charges $50. I was planning on a $10 tip for a total of $60.

My vegas wedding is...

Ok like $80 hair and $80+ make-up, per person. I'm not sure on the actual cost because it depends on the kind of hair-do and if we do eyelashes.

$500 is crazy. I'd rather put that towards something that will last and won't be "washed out or off".. but it's really up to you!! :cheeky:

lucyandroger

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks ladies! I'm going to try to find someone cheaper. I'm glad that I'm not the only one who thinks it is an outrageous price!

stepcutgirl

Brilliant_Rock
Hmmm...I haven't priced hair yet but I'm getting my make up done by a Chanel make up artist for $60.00.

MagsyMay

Brilliant_Rock
It does seem a bit high, but not totally outrageous unfortunately!!

My trial and day-of were priced separately (and the same cost for each). $95 for hair and $65 for makeup (not airbrushed) including eyelashes ($20). So basically $160 + tip for trial and same for wedding day = $320 + tip... (oh and I bought the lipgloss, so there goes another $18)... It was at a nice salon downtown Chicago right on Michigan Avenue if that adds any perspective. Some of the others I priced out/did trial with that came to your hotel were generally around the $400ish range all combined. So much to spend when you think about it, but it was unlikely I was going to escape for much less unless I had a friend do hair/makeup and I didn't really want to put that kind of pressure on anyone!

kittybean

Ideal_Rock
Hair trial + airbrush makeup trial + hair + airbrush makeup + spa manicure + spa pedicure = $300

$500 seems unreasonably high!

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Where are you located Lucy? That could be part of the reason why its so expensive...

lucyandroger

Brilliant_Rock
The wedding and the hair/makeup artist are in Southern New Jersey. She does a lot of work in NY though.

The latest is that I'm going to go for a consultation. My wedding planner loves this woman and thinks she'll be able to negotiate the price down. The consultation will be free and if I booked her, I would still get a trial so I figure there's nothing to lose.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results