shape
carat
color
clarity

Had our tasting this weekend - went great!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

rockzilla

Brilliant_Rock
So we made the hike 25 miles up the california coast to Malibu for our tasting this weekend - it was just us and one other couple, and we were really impressed!

What we tasted:

-Samosas
-Veggie spring rolls
-Caprese salad on a stick
-Tofu marinated with chimchurri sauce (so yum! but probably won''t serve tofu)
-Amazing curry vegetables and rice
-Grilled vegetables
-Garlic mashed potatoes
-Eggplant lined millet souffle (sounds weird, looked a little weird, but tasted great!)

I really like the caterer - she knows Malibu, our location (and the location''s not-so-reliable coordinator) really well. She had great ideas on how we can cut down on rental costs (like having only 1 stove plus a hot box) and for service (we were going back and forth between plated and buffet...she suggested having the salad plated with bread/butter on the table and then the remainder of food for the buffet...so people have something to eat as they''re waiting to go up). She was also really open to customizing thing for us...she told us about how she had made lavender lemonade for an Indian couple...sounded yummy to me but I think we''ll stick with regular lemonade for our guests.

Yay!

SarahLovesJS

Ideal_Rock
That sounds great!! Glad it went smoothly and that the caterer really seems on top of things!
36.gif
I
30.gif
garlic mashed potatoes.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
YAY! I'm SO happy for you! It's such a relief when the food is good and the chef is competent, eh?

Rockzilla, I wanted to tell you that I saw your update in your china thread and got so excited for you! The Noritake patterns without Bone are just TDF!!! You won't have to settle for less at all! I personally would have been thrilled with at least three of them! Did you see them in person yet? Have you decided on one?

The Tofu sounds great. I'd serve it. Let the guest explore. I personally love tofu in a great sauce and that sounds fabulous!

rockzilla

Brilliant_Rock
Gypsy - yes, I was really happy after hearing other caterer horror stories. I won''t go as far as to say that it was the most amazing food ever, but that''s not what we''re going for. We''re going for solidly good vegetarian food that all of our guests will enjoy, for a reasonable price (e.g. not $100+ a head).

We were only able to see 2 of the noritake patterns in person (agean mist and cameroon sand) and I think we''re leaning towards the cameroon sand ones, which they have a both macy''s and BBB. My only thing with cameroon sand is that it is a little ---not masculine, but definitely not girly either. But it is the front runner right now, we''re also going to check out some other patterns in person.

We''ve asked the caterer for a quote, so I''m waiting to hear back. This is what we''re requesting:

5 appetizers (3 passed, 2 displayed)

served plated salad and bread/butter at table

1 pasta
2 vegetarian sides
2 vegetarian entrees
(alll buffet)

beverage bar (water, ice tea, lemonade - so people don''t have to wait at the bar if they''re not getting alcohol)
Coffe/tea service

Does this sound like enough food? I think it gives our guests enough choices, right?

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
It depends, are these the appetizers you'd be serving in addition? If so... sounds good. The only thing I'd add, maybe is a fruit and cheese display with crackers at the buffet (unless that's what one of the display appetizers is, then never mind). A lot of people love cheese and it works both as a starter and as a finish to a meal. What are you two displays going to be (Brie in Pastry always has my vote, but then I'm a cheese whore).

Passed Appetizers? Cause these sounded YUMMY!
-Samosas
-Veggie spring rolls
-Caprese salad on a stick

rockzilla

Brilliant_Rock
Yeah, the placed appetizers are things like a bruchetta/crostini bar, hummus/pita/grape leaves or fruit/cheese plate...actually here is the real list (obviously omit the non veggie ones):

Asparagus and Yellow Pepper Frittata
Baked Brie En Croute w/ our Special Mango-Cranberry-Ginger Chutney
Grilled and Raw Vegetable Crudite w/ Spinach-Yogurt Dip
Imported Cheese and Fruit Platter w/ assorted Breads & Crackers
Caramelized Onion and Swiss Cheese Tart
Wild Mushroom & Tomato Tart
Asparagus Crudite w/ Lemon-Tarragon Dipping Sauce
Bruschetta Bar w/ Tapenade, Fresh Tomato-Basil, Roasted Pepper-Anchovy-Capers, & Artichoke Pesto
Asparagus Crudite with a Cumin-Pesto Dip

She is very open to doing things new/different or customizing...so we are not limited to what is in the menu...in fact several of the things we tried were not on the official menu. She travels all over the world each year trying out new foods, so she is always experimenting and coming up with new stuff.

I liked those passed appetizers too...though I think there is a better term than "salad on a stick" =)

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/12/2008 1:36:55 AM
Author: rockzilla
Yeah, the placed appetizers are things like a bruchetta/crostini bar, hummus/pita/grape leaves or fruit/cheese plate...actually here is the real list (obviously omit the non veggie ones):

Asparagus and Yellow Pepper Frittata
Baked Brie En Croute w/ our Special Mango-Cranberry-Ginger Chutney
Grilled and Raw Vegetable Crudite w/ Spinach-Yogurt Dip
Imported Cheese and Fruit Platter w/ assorted Breads & Crackers
Caramelized Onion and Swiss Cheese Tart
Wild Mushroom & Tomato Tart
Asparagus Crudite w/ Lemon-Tarragon Dipping Sauce
Bruschetta Bar w/ Tapenade, Fresh Tomato-Basil, Roasted Pepper-Anchovy-Capers, & Artichoke Pesto
Asparagus Crudite with a Cumin-Pesto Dip

She is very open to doing things new/different or customizing...so we are not limited to what is in the menu...in fact several of the things we tried were not on the official menu. She travels all over the world each year trying out new foods, so she is always experimenting and coming up with new stuff.

I liked those passed appetizers too...though I think there is a better term than ''salad on a stick'' =)
I think the Bruschetta Bar, the Brie in Croute (everytime I''ve seen these at a wedding they are extremely popular, people return for seconds and thirds... etc), and the Imported Cheese Platter will have the most impressive displays and have the broadest appeal.

I actually liked Salad on a Stick. But um... maybe Caprese Skewers? LOL.

I think its great that your caterer is so flexible. We had our second tasting and had requested a VEGETARIAN Potato and Leek Soup. It had chicken stock and bacon in it.
20.gif
It was a good soup. I could taste neither the potato or the leek, but it was tasty. Like flavored cream.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results