shape
carat
color
clarity

Had a Great Black Friday But Am Now Bankrupt! And You?

Smith1942

Ideal_Rock
Just made another few Black Friday purchases! :Up_to_something:

OK, this autumn I have stocked the house with what seems like millions of winter essentials like lightbulbs, loo paper, batteries, cleaning products, grains, flour, etc, and have kitted myself out with proper snowgear and winter footwear for a change. Last winter I got rashes/chilblains all down my legs from not wearing the right gear.

For Black Friday, I bought my 0.28 G Si Brian Gavin Signature pendant for $585 instead of $816 or instead of 1k at Blue Nile. I also bought a strand of blue akoya pearls from Pearl Paradise to match my blue pearl studs, for $193 after a 20% discount. And just now, I took advantage of a running Black Friday sale to get a strand of gorgeous white freshwater metallic (naturally so) pearls for $280 after a 15% discount. I can't believe I've bought those too! They will be to wear for everyday since the nacre on freshwaters goes all the way through. I can therefore save my delicate akoyas for best, with their thin layer of nacre.

In addition, I got four cashmere sweaters, some flat black leather biker boots, some heeled leather boots, and some heeled black oxfords, all at incredibly low prices between $30 - $70, except the biker boots which were $108 reduced from $150. I bought the oxfords and the heeled leather boots today, along with the white pearl strand.

Well, it's true: retail therapy really helps! I feel less down in the dumps than I did. Now, having taken advantage of all the discounts, which were all on things I would have bought anyway but at higher prices, and having stocked my house and wardrobe for the winter, it's time for me to shut my wallet for a few months!

What about you? Have YOU spent a lot this fall/Black Friday?

Black Friday seemed the biggest yet this year. I don't remember all these bargains and promotions and discounts last year. I know it's always been so on electronics, but I don't remember all the luxury-goods offers flooding in.

ETA: Just worked out that I got an average 32% discount. I'm quite pleased with that.

All I can say is, thank the Lord that Whiteflash didn't also have an offer. I feel faint at the very thought.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Smith1942, you have had a nice shopping spree. I am most excited to see your pendant. I agree if WF had a big Black Friday sale that would be tough to pass up.

We've had an expensive fall. DH got the new MacBook Pro that came out in October and I got the iPad Air. We had to replace all the land line phones in the house (DH works at home so we need them) and get the multi line speaker phones which are surprising hard to find these days. I bought a Tumi laptop bag but it was clearance and on sale so that saved me some money. My Black Friday purchase was Lenox Christmas China. We have 18 people coming for Christmas dinner so I got 18 plates, 18 salad plates, 2 butter dishes, a baking dish, a platter and a serving bowl. Dillard's had them on sale then buy 2 get 1 free. We also had to buy a new dining room table and 4 more chairs. Needless to say we aren't buying each other any Christmas gifts.

Smith1942

Ideal_Rock
Wow, Marcy, yes that is quite an expensive fall, isn't it! But technology is necessary and your china sounds really lovely. Lenox has such pretty patterns. It will also be great to have a new dining set on which to place said china! Well, sometimes these spending sprees are either necessary or, if not entirely necessary, things which are on such good offer that it's silly to pass it up when you know you'll buy it eventually and the price won't be so good.

I really have to shut my wallet now, though!!

m-2-b

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Got a new Samsung stainless steel french door refrigerator from Home depot and 2 new leather sofas (hopefully kid-proof!) from Crate and Barrel. Both were fantastic black friday deals. Just checked the prices on both since then and am so glad I pulled the trigger when I did! ::)

As for bling, my platinum WF DBTY 34" necklace is enroute! Unfortunately, there was no black friday deal involved w/ this one!

Smith1942

Ideal_Rock
Mom2boys: that is a nice haul indeed! Well done!

34" platinum DBTY..........wow.......that sounds ah-mazing!! I assume you will post lots and lots of pics?? Lucky you! What are the specs?

m-2-b

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Smith1942|1386388094|3569274 said:

34" platinum DBTY..........wow.......that sounds ah-mazing!! I assume you will post lots and lots of pics?? Lucky you! What are the specs?

Thanks, Smith! It's got 2.55 tcw of WF ACA melee (17 x 15 pters). Unfortunately, it's going to be raining here for the next few days so not sure how successful I will be with pics for a new thread!

Smith1942

Ideal_Rock
Ohhhhh, it sounds yummy! Lucky you!

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
mom2boys|1386389088|3569289 said:
Smith1942|1386388094|3569274 said:

Thanks, Smith! It's got 2.55 tcw of WF ACA melee (17 x 15 pters). Unfortunately, it's going to be raining here for the next few days so not sure how successful I will be with pics for a new thread!

It sounds very pretty. I can't wait to see your pictures.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Smith1942|1386386718|3569248 said:
Wow, Marcy, yes that is quite an expensive fall, isn't it! But technology is necessary and your china sounds really lovely. Lenox has such pretty patterns. It will also be great to have a new dining set on which to place said china! Well, sometimes these spending sprees are either necessary or, if not entirely necessary, things which are on such good offer that it's silly to pass it up when you know you'll buy it eventually and the price won't be so good.

My wallet is shut too. Keep me out of the jewelry store though. :bigsmile:

DH's laptop was honestly for his job. He needs to run 2 monitors from his laptop and his year old MacBook Pro didn't always work on 2 monitors; this newer model had 2 outputs for monitors so it made sense for him to get it. We wanted a larger dining room table anyway so those 2 things I don't feel bad about buying. The china wasn't a necessity but this is our first year in a new house and the first time we are hosting the family for Christmas. I shopped around for porcelain and stoneware Christmas dishes but they were higher priced than what I got the china on sale for so why not get them. I told DH to watch out though - our everyday stoneware may not seem very nice after we use the new Christmas dishes. My mom had 15 of those Arby holly glasses that my dad said I could have and they match the Christmas plates really well I think I'm set.

Smith1942

Ideal_Rock
marcy|1386393136|3569337 said:

DH's laptop was honestly for his job. He needs to run 2 monitors from his laptop and his year old MacBook Pro didn't always work on 2 monitors; this newer model had 2 outputs for monitors so it made sense for him to get it. We wanted a larger dining room table anyway so those 2 things I don't feel bad about buying. The china wasn't a necessity but this is our first year in a new house and the first time we are hosting the family for Christmas. I shopped around for porcelain and stoneware Christmas dishes but they were higher priced than what I got the china on sale for so why not get them. I told DH to watch out though - our everyday stoneware may not seem very nice after we use the new Christmas dishes. My mom had 15 of those Arby holly glasses that my dad said I could have and they match the Christmas plates really well I think I'm set.

It all sounds lovely. When you have your table all set with the china and glass, you should take a pic and post it in Hangout. Maybe start a Christmas Tables thread!

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Haven't spent any money yet.
I only give to one person, the SO and even then our household will probably spend less than $50 this year.
I'll be baking stuff for my neighbors this year with my new gizmos.

It's nice to keep it low key but not completely ignore the holidays.
This feels just right for me but of course, YMMV.

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Smith: I thought you were under orders to save for those Tiffany earrings. :wink2: Seriously though, enjoy your new bling!

I took advantage of Levis.com's Black Friday sale to pair two of jeans that I hope will fit my new self a bit more comfortably than what I have now. I also hope to slim out of them soon!

Smith1942

Ideal_Rock
Ha ha VR, the saving starts in January!!

I am also trying to lose a few pounds. I feel your pain!

Smith1942

Ideal_Rock
Just utilised Pearl Paradise's Cyber Monday offer once more to furnish myself with black freshwater studs and a Tahitian pearl pendant for a grand total of $158.00.

NOW my wallet's shut!

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I did not buy anything, as I did not need anything more. Besides, I recently bought a few goodies while I was out in Hong Kong.

DK :))

rosetta

Ideal_Rock
Will live vicariously through you smith!

Going on a cruise next week, will pick up a few things in France, but otherwise my wallet is already shut!

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
Smith, sounds like you have a lot of goodies coming!! I can't wait to see pictures.

Hmnn--I bought my presents just before Black Friday, but did get a couple great deals. A Burberry scarf for myself, half silk/half cashmere, a Kate Spade wallet for the roomie, a JCrew messenger bag for SO, some body lotion at Bliss, and a few pairs of JCrew's Pixie pants because they're like leggings with a little more coverage.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Smith1942 said:
marcy|1386393136|3569337 said:

It all sounds lovely. When you have your table all set with the china and glass, you should take a pic and post it in Hangout. Maybe start a Christmas Tables thread!

That would be a great idea. We are having the family dinner on the 22nd. I had DH dig out my Christmas serving trays and some crystal bowls today. I need to get everything washed since I haven't used it for awhile.

BTW, I did buy a crystal bowl today. It was on sale for $20 and I had a 20% off then 25% off that so I got it for about $12. Sadly the shipping put it back up to about $20. How could I pass up a bowl with Christmas trees on it?

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Smith - can't wait to see your pendant!

I bought presents & misc stuff on Black Friday and Cyber Monday (plus, stuff a few days before Thanksgiving) - lotions & lip glosses from Sephora, pjs from Old Navy, books from Amazon, then went to World Market and bought a bunch of stocking treats - which I've eaten some of so I'm going back today to buy more. ;)) Everything I've purchased, I've gotten on sale (except Sephora, but they had promo codes for sample bags - yay!), and the rest will be on sale. I'm not buying anything really pricey. The most expensive gift I'm giving is an Xbox Live gift card. I found a pair of slippers I want and they're $100 so I might get those. Also, I bought a Marc Jacobs wristlet, but that was just under $100.

If I add up all my little purchases, it probably all comes to a lot more than I want to admit too...especially because I also bought three new pairs of jeans. :o

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've done most of my shopping via Amazon, I actually didn't do any shopping during Black Friday, but plenty of internet shopping beforehand. I did buy some Lands End clothes when I got 30% off plus free shipping. Who knows, there could have been better deals but I wanted to check that off my list. Got some (relatively) inexpensive smartwool socks at 5 pm.
I vacillated in getting some internet food gifts, but the ones that were really good (harry and David % off plus free shipping) looked to have come and gone, so will do something else. But the biggest gifts I'm giving are things like cash/giftcards, which don't go on sale.

As always, spend more money than I intend! At least this xmas I've been pretty good about not buying myself things, so at least spending less that way.

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I did buy myself a couple things recently, but not any deals to be had on the bling. I bought a sterling 36' necklace (with diamonique, boo) from Judith Ripka, and a 14K 36 inch long necklace. I also bought a 18K Paloma Picasso zig zag ring on ebay.

We did have to buy a new microwave for above my cooktop, and a new freezer. Luckily both were black friday deals so we saved a bit there. If one more thing breaks I am going to spit. Appliances are not fun!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results