shape
carat
color
clarity

H & A and Sarin

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

fishcca

Rough_Rock
Hello-
First post here! I am interested in H & A and Sarin and Firesscope. These are things that before my search for an Engagement ring I''d never heard of suprisingly. Do I need these before I buy?
Who is in charge of doing these tests and can they be done on any diamond shape? I want to get approximately a:
GIA certified:
G-H
VS1
Princess
AND at least
Very good proportions
VG polish

With small side diamonds and also halfway around the wedding band as well!

What would I expect to pay for this retail and otherwise? Any help is very appreciated! My email is [email protected]

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
We can perform H&A, Sarin and Ideal-Scope work for you included at no added cost in our normal appraisal/grading services.

Rank Amateur

Brilliant_Rock
Welcome Fish!

Hmmm. It sounds like you need a bit more info to decide what is important to you.

H&A or "hearts and arrows" is the pattern ROUND diamonds display when their symmetry is cut to certain proportions. Then term does not really apply to princess cuts.

A Sarin report gives you the measurements of the different facets of the stone. It gives you extra information not found on a GIA lab report. Knowing these proportions may give a pro some insight as to whether the stone is dynamite or is a dog. Most jewelers don't have a Sarin and will give you a funny look if you ask for a Sarin report.

The Firescope is another instrument generally reserved for round diamonds. The Firescope is used as a tool by the EightStar company to cut and market its branded round diamonds. Very very very few vendors or appraisers have a FireScope (maybe one in each State). The IdealScope oldminer referred to is similar to the FireScope (but most jewelers don't use either). While the technology to compare FireScope or Idealscope images in rounds has been developed over the last few years, their usage in picking out fine princess shapes is just starting to catch on.

As for prices, look at the main Pricescope site. You will find the prices considerably higher than those listed on Pricescope in most neighborhood "brick and mortar" jewelry stores.

R/A

p.s. "very good" proportions for princesses is a bit of a subjective term! Buyer beware!

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
Hi Fish!
wavey.gif

When reviewing princess cuts you might want to print a copy of the Cut Chart to keep on hand. Go to the Price Scope Tutorial homepage (Tutorial link above). On the left hand side of the page is a side bar. Toward the bottom are links to the Cut Charts. Print out a copy of the Princess Cut Chart to refer to when reviewing diamonds.

Length to width proportions has an impact on the quality of a princess cut. But so does table size and depth. You will also want Crown and Pavillion angles from a Sarin Report. Quality of finish figures into the pricing and somewhat on the performance of the diamond as well. Polish is just one area where a gifted cutter's work shines.

The key to Clarity is not really in the rating. It's the size, color, type, and location of the inclusions. You said you wanted VS, but you may find a very clean SI1 available that appeals to you. SI's are more "economical" than VS. You will want to get a copy of the Cert to review the inclusions plot. Then discuss the inclusions with the vendor.

I am just a regular person with a bit of experience. I definitely suggest you consult a professional on any diamond buying decision. Us regular folk can help with specs on paper and general info. The pros are the people who can really tell you if a diamond is truly great of just another dud.
1.gif

fishcca

Rough_Rock
Thank you all so much for the advice! I will take into consideration all of your suggestions. I have been doing a lot of reading and research, and while I only know a little, I know so much more than a month ago. Much of it is thanks to folks like you!

Do any of you good people know of a vendor, Broker/retailer in Houston that you would reccomend?

For the diamond thatI described, what do you suppose would be a good B&M price?

This site is a great resource for learning!

Peace.

fishcca

Rough_Rock
Also, "As for prices, look at the main Pricescope site. You will find the prices considerably higher than those listed on Pricescope in most neighborhood "brick and mortar" jewelry stores."
sorry,
Do you mean that the vendors on pricescope are more expensive than most B&M's?

Rank Amateur

Brilliant_Rock
Nope. Local brick and mortar stores work on a much MUCH larger markup than internet-only shops (most of the pricescope vendors are internet only). Different vendors offer different levels of service. Generally speaking you get what you pay for, though like anything else certain vendors certainly do more for less!

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
----------------
On 6/11/2003 6:29
6.gif
8 AM fishcca wrote:

Do any of you good people know of a vendor, Broker/retailer in Houston that you would reccomend?

----------------

If I'm not mistaken Whiteflash.com is in Houston, TX. Whiteflash is an internet dealer with a physical location (I think) in Houston. Best of both worlds fisccha!

Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results