shape
carat
color
clarity

Guns and Your Vote

Loves Vintage

Ideal_Rock
Premium
To what extent did the topic of gun control influence your decision re: for whom you voted?

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'll tell you about my dad, and 80 year old Republican who lives in Florida. Dad is a lifelong gun enthusiast, with an arsenal in his shed.
My father was convinced that Obama was going to take his guns away. Which of course didn't happen..
Naturally, he was certain that HRC was going to take his guns away, if elected.

Funny thing about Dad, he was always a Democrat, and raised me as such, but he switched parties when Obama was running.
So yes, gun control was a big factor for him.

I personally think that we need more gun regulation. I voted for HRC. But it wasn't the deciding factor for me.

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
LV, I'll be totally honest, I became so busy thinking about all the other issues going on with the election that gun control went by the wayside for me...

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I know several people who said that if HRC was elected, she'd take guns away.

And that was a HUGE factor in their decision to vote for Trump.

ETA (prompted by Dee*Jay's post) - I think their statements were more like she'd take SEMIAUTOMATIC guns away. (not sure if they meant / felt she'd take away all guns).

ETA2 I think their overall sentiment was "don't tell me whether I can own guns, and definitely don't tell me which guns I can and cannot own."

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not at all. I voted based firstly on concern for the economy and secondly social issues. While I support gun control for a variety of reasons, I honestly don't care about it enough to make it a voting issue. Given that something like 70+% of the country support various gun regulations yet they still haven't been enacted, I think the pro-gun lobby is too powerful for the people to get what they want on this.

For the record, I am a gun owner and my husband regularly hunts. Same with the majority of my family and friends. All for some level of gun control.

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
CJ2008|1478902943|4097221 said:
I know several people who said that if HRC was elected, she'd take guns away.

And that was a HUGE factor in their decision to vote for Trump.

That reminds me of something I read (and I'm paraphrasing): Saying gun control will take away your gun is like saying birth control will make your penis fall off.

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
"BIGLY!"

Sorry, couldn't help myself there. :lol: I actually hated hearing u-know-who say that all the time.

Off hand, I think my primary voting factors looked something like this:

- 40% Supreme Court
- 30% Constitutional Protections (incl 2nd Amendment)
- 30% Policy (Foreign, Domestic, Economic, etc.)

Given how I noted it, I'm obviously more of the mindset to preserve citizens gun rights as opposed to imposing more restrictions.

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
JoCoJenn|1478903589|4097228 said:
"BIGLY!"

Sorry, couldn't help myself there. :lol: I actually hated hearing u-know-who say that all the time.

Off hand, I think my primary voting factors looked something like this:

- 40% Supreme Court
- 30% Constitutional Protections (incl 2nd Amendment)
- 30% Policy (Foreign, Domestic, Economic, etc.)

Given how I noted it, I'm obviously more of the mindset to preserve citizens gun rights as opposed to imposing more restrictions.

Great minds think alike. Right about the same for me as far as top reasons.

BTW I never knew WTH that meant - Bigly - until I heard Trump say "Big League" the other day and finally got it. :lol:

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
lots
it is one of many reason I cant stand Hillary

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Like Jenn and Red it weighed on my mind and I voted accordingly. I'm a libertarian, so probably not much of a surprise. I voted with my party.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I voted for Clinton, but his admission of sexual assault pussy-grabbing was my main reason (among zillions) to vote against Rump.

IMO we should modify the US Constitution so every gun is confiscated from every American not in law enforcement.

Other countries have done it and their senseless gun deaths of innocents have plummeted.

kylier

Shiny_Rock
I voted to say 'no' to a racist, misogynist fear monger who would hurt people less privileged than me. That was most important to me. Having decided that I did look carefully into HRC's policies and saw nothing that would stop my full enjoyment of my guns. I don't buy guns online or at gun shows and I'm okay with closing those loopholes. But even if my gun enjoyment should be slightly hampered (if they took my AR-15) I would consider it a small price to say 'no' to everything that man represented. I'm lucky to enjoy a lot of privilege and will not be hurt the way many others will, but I feel a deep sense of shame at what has happened around me and being able to buy a dozen more guns (and making A LOT more money under Trump's tax plan) can't change that.

NOYFB

Ideal_Rock
We own guns, so yes it was an issue.

OreoRosies86

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't like guns and really don't think everyone should own them, so yes it affected my vote.

Loves Vintage

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I voted HRC. The topic of guns informed my decision not at all.

I was surprised that there was so little discussion about the gun issue, post election. I think that many people voted pro-gun, and therefore, for Trump, a morally bereft madman. I think that for many Americans, guns, even though their ability to possess them (and even shoot themselves in the head with one, as happens more often than many are willing to acknowledge) was never really at risk, were a very significant, if not most significant factor in their votes for Trump. I have no idea why there hasn't been more discussion about this, or even if there has been. There just hasn't been here.

In any event, it certainly provides me with an explanation here. I think most people voted Trump, not because they are racist misogynists, but because they love guns more than reason, more than their religion, more than their daughters and mothers, and more than themselves.

Cheers!

cmd2014

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Loves Vintage|1478957095|4097397 said:
I voted HRC. The topic of guns informed my decision not at all.

I was surprised that there was so little discussion about the gun issue, post election. I think that many people voted pro-gun, and therefore, for Trump, a morally bereft madman. I think that for many Americans, guns, even though their ability to possess them (and even shoot themselves in the head with one, as happens more often than many are willing to acknowledge) was never really at risk, were a very significant, if not most significant factor in their votes for Trump. I have no idea why there hasn't been more discussion about this, or even if there has been. There just hasn't been here.

In any event, it certainly provides me with an explanation here. I think most people voted Trump, not because they are racist misogynists, but because they love guns more than reason, more than their religion, more than their daughters and mothers, and more than themselves.

Cheers!

And probably more than the planet: https://www.theguardian.com/environ...ency-a-disaster-for-the-planet-climate-change

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
With all due respect, the people who believe in gun rights don't discuss it here because most of PS think like you do. Why would we bring it up? It has been debated before and always turns out badly. The discussion of the actual candidates was bad enough.

You started a thread and have created your own little PS "registry" so you could say this:

Which I will now refer you to this thread to read if you have not already. Especially the part about arrogance.

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/re-election-saw-this-on-fb-sums-it-up-well.226768/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/re-election-saw-this-on-fb-sums-it-up-well.226768/[/URL]

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't like guns in the sense that I like them aesthetically and I get the appeal, but I don't really want them in my house.

However - if I did like them enough to want them in my house for whatever reason I would not want anyone telling me I can't have them.

That said, I would be totally OK with whatever restrictions and waiting periods were in place, no matter how stringent, ESPECIALLY if they were proven to keep guns off the wrong hands, etc. I would be OK with it being a total PITA to purchase weapons especially the kind that can kill a lot of people at once like semiautomatic weapons.

Some of the people I talk to don't seem to want anything too cumbersome in place - they want it to be convenient and easy, even if some of the further restrictions would be to help keep guns out of the wrong hands - that's the part that I don't understand.

Loves Vintage

Ideal_Rock
Premium
redwood66|1478960498|4097409 said:
With all due respect, the people who believe in gun rights don't discuss it here because most of PS think like you do. Why would we bring it up? It has been debated before and always turns out badly. The discussion of the actual candidates was bad enough.

You started a thread and have created your own little PS "registry" so you could say this:

Which I will now refer you to this thread to read if you have not already. Especially the part about arrogance.

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/re-election-saw-this-on-fb-sums-it-up-well.226768/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/re-election-saw-this-on-fb-sums-it-up-well.226768/[/URL]

Registry? Lol. Nice! Just a topic on a diamond forum. Still searching for answers re: this mess. Will be sure to read up on the other link so I can discover what is apparently wrong with me.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
kylier|1478910758|4097268 said:
I voted to say 'no' to a racist, misogynist fear monger who would hurt people less privileged than me. That was most important to me. Having decided that I did look carefully into HRC's policies and saw nothing that would stop my full enjoyment of my guns. I don't buy guns online or at gun shows and I'm okay with closing those loopholes. But even if my gun enjoyment should be slightly hampered (if they took my AR-15) I would consider it a small price to say 'no' to everything that man represented. I'm lucky to enjoy a lot of privilege and will not be hurt the way many others will, but I feel a deep sense of shame at what has happened around me and being able to buy a dozen more guns (and making A LOT more money under Trump's tax plan) can't change that.

I very much admire your decision making process and your conscientious method of weighing the pros and cons. I don't own guns so it did not come into play. I did the same thing with taxes. I project that tax rates in general will go down and i do hope that the cost of health care will decrease. My health care costs increased by 3x. My deductibles increased by 5x. I work for a small business. With trump as president I project that those costs will decrease for me. However, to me, the benefit is not worth the price of everything else Trump represents.

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Loves Vintage|1478965630|4097435 said:

Registry? Lol. Nice! Just a topic on a diamond forum. Still searching for answers re: this mess. Will be sure to read up on the other link so I can discover what is apparently wrong with me.

It was tongue in cheek if you could not tell. And I have been told here what is wrong with me for months. :wavey:

Loves Vintage

Ideal_Rock
Premium
redwood66|1478968962|4097464 said:
Loves Vintage|1478965630|4097435 said:

It was tongue in cheek if you could not tell. And I have been told here what is wrong with me for months. :wavey:

Haha, well, I will give you that! :wavey: I will admit, I do not have the stamina or the heart for any of this -- talking about this in any useful way, I guess. So, hats off to you for keepin' on!

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I understand personal gun ownership for hunting purposes, my family has a long history of hunting (and eating what they kill) so I respect that this is a way of life for many. Beyond that, I just don't get it. NY, especially NYC, has very strict gun control laws. Many of our neighboring states do not which negates the laws in NYC. People just buy them elsewhere and drive them on over.

azstonie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
WTH? Neither Hillary nor The Donald are going to take on the NRA, your 'right' to have umpteen AK-47s is safe with any political candidate.

Not even a factor, they are both the same in answer to your thread topic.

kylier

Shiny_Rock
LLJsmom|1478966520|4097441 said:
I very much admire your decision making process and your conscientious method of weighing the pros and cons. I don't own guns so it did not come into play. I did the same thing with taxes. I project that tax rates in general will go down and i do hope that the cost of health care will decrease. My health care costs increased by 3x. My deductibles increased by 5x. I work for a small business. With trump as president I project that those costs will decrease for me. However, to me, the benefit is not worth the price of everything else Trump represents.

Thanks, same to you.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Asscherhalo_lover|1478998046|4097633 said:
I understand personal gun ownership for hunting purposes, my family has a long history of hunting (and eating what they kill) so I respect that this is a way of life for many. Beyond that, I just don't get it. NY, especially NYC, has very strict gun control laws. Many of our neighboring states do not which negates the laws in NYC. People just buy them elsewhere and drive them on over.

So basically what you're saying is people get the guns illegally. Laws work only for those willing to follow them.

When I lived in Mass, just to have weapons in my home, I had to have a license, and, if you got or didn't get a gun license was dependent on if the chief of your city/town thought you should or should not have one. Basically meaning, you could lose your entire collection if a new chief came and and decided he didn't feel you needed to have the license renewed, which has happened btw. And not because you broke the law, but because he said so. That to me is illegal as fug. Why the state gave that power to individual towns is beyond me because it was a damn nightmare. I was thankful I moved as my license was expiring. They were expensive as hell to get and no NE state has any sort of reciprocity at all.

siamese3

Brilliant_Rock
My whole family has had guns, but they were all hunters. I don't have a problem with that, although I really don't understand people's love for guns. I can't understand choosing guns over people's welfare. This is an interesting thread to me because it sheds yet more light on the why's of the election. I wasn't even thinking about gun control when I voted.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
siamese3|1479078369|4097929 said:
My whole family has had guns, but they were all hunters. I don't have a problem with that, although I really don't understand people's love for guns. I can't understand choosing guns over people. This is an interesting thread to me because it sheds light on the why's of the election.

where did anyone say they chose guns over people? IMO you can't fit people into a one size fits all box because not reality. What may not seem important to you may be to them. It may be the thing that sways how and who they vote for. There are some social issues that I don't feel are as important as others and I vote accordingly.+- But my vote is mine alone. I respect those who may vote differently, in fact I'm glad when people vote at all, especially minorities.

I feel that Mr Obama did the best he could, though I didn't like all of his policies. I liked him as a person felt he had the nation's interest at heart generally. I felt he was trustworthy.

With Obama I feel that his 2nd Term went better than the first and things were starting to turn in a good direction. But I also felt that his extreme far left views kept some from really being in his corner. Some of his views left me very uncomfortable because they added additional layers (unneeded in my view) to an already burgeoning and expensive government, nor did I agree with bringing in more refugees to an already heavily strained system where economically we are still fragile...plus we as a nation can barely take care of our own. I was fine with his supreme court choice though. ACA in theory should have worked. But when you got very little competition in a capitalistic environment....well...you know what happens there.

And though I'm libertarian I voted for him last time, I didn't feel that HRC was fit to follow in his footsteps.At all. That had nothing to do with her as a woman, but HER period. I did not trust her. Too many times she talked out of both sides of her neck, changed her stripes to fit the audience, and she has too much political baggage. Trump does it too. While he may considered to be an "outsider" He doesn't get off easy with me on that, and to that end, I didn't vote for him either. And he has LOTS of baggage....

Far left and far right has been sniping and brewing for a big blowout for way too long. Most people are sick of business as usual, and that message got sent in a very big way.

Both major parties come with all types of people from all walks of life. The problem I have is with those too far to the end of the tree. seriously those folks should closer to the center ....we have cookies there.

There are people who are registered dems who voted Trump or not at all. THAT part of the base is what needs to be re-energized with a much better candidate.

Then there's the 3rd party vote. I will vote conscience first, party 2nd. Thats just how I roll.

My mom likes to say you can only poke a bear with a stick so much before it decides to chase you down and bite you on the ass. That appears to be true in this case.

siamese3

Brilliant_Rock
I'm sorry Arcadian. I agree that you are absolutely right! What is important to one person, is not to another. I only meant that for me, gun rights are not even on my list. That's all. I guess I was referring to the rights of minorities when I said people. That was just on my list. I am truly interested in why people chose to vote the way they did. And everyone does have the right to their vote.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results