shape
carat
color
clarity

Gunman in Charleston Church Shooting Captured

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
iLander, I'm sure he will change his statement today or tomorrow to something that will help his campaign. Rick Perry called the shooting an accident last week only to change his story a day or two later and claimed he misspoke. Seriously, an accident!!!! Maybe he decided to look the word up in the dictionary. The more the Republicans open their mouths the more I am convinced they will NEVER get my vote. I feel so sorry for these poor people's families having to hear these ridiculous statements after losing their loved ones. I hope in their hearts they know how many people feel their pain. Its so heartbreaking.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
There have been some really interesting social developments that resulted from this tragedy. One is the unexpected, and I do not think-from my reading-unexpected only to me-widespread movement that sprang up to remove the Confederate battle flag not only from the grounds of the South Carolina state house but from the license plates of the southern states that still use it and the popular groundswell that also caused Sears; Walmart; and Amazon to cease selling Confederate flags and other paraphernalia. It would be more than slightly ironic if Dylann Roof came to symbolize the end of the era when the Confederate flag was acceptable in the United States. It is surely not the legacy he had hoped to leave!

The other social development I find interesting is the use of the word "nigger" by a US president for the first time in over 100 years.

No one can ignore all the incidents of protest of white police shooting unarmed black men that have occurred in the past year.

Now an act of racial white on black hatred that is undisguised is met with grace from the black community. But the black community demands that we all recognize that black lives matter. That is all they ask. Maybe we are getting ready to acknowledge that. Or at least getting closer to being ready.

Deb/AGBF
:read:

iLander

Ideal_Rock
packrat said:
iLander|1435066795|3893024 said:
Gypsy said:
packrat|1434857248|3892045 said:
That us v them mentality spills into just about every aspect of our lives anymore, seems like. There's a problem there.

I could not agree with you more Packrat. I could not agree with more.

The problem is Fox News. I don't know why people don't call them out for what they do: brainwashing. A constant barrage of a single view or specific set of information, without any dissent, is brainwashing. It's effective and evil. They spread hatred continuously and not realizing it is naive.

I've actually seen an incredibly staggering amount of us v them vitriol from people on FB--and it's not all to do w/the Fox News standpoint-it's the opposing side actually. The whole thing goes both ways. Both sides are massively guilty of it, but nobody wants to acknowledge their "own" side doing it.

I find repeated, intentional, systematic, corporate fact-bending (and brainwashing) far more insidious than a individual's personal opinion on Facebook.

Just sayin' ;-)

iLander

Ideal_Rock
Calliecake|1435069886|3893039 said:
iLander, I'm sure he will change his statement today or tomorrow to something that will help his campaign. Rick Perry called the shooting an accident last week only to change his story a day or two later and claimed he misspoke. Seriously, an accident!!!! Maybe he decided to look the word up in the dictionary. The more the Republicans open their mouths the more I am convinced they will NEVER get my vote. I feel so sorry for these poor people's families having to hear these ridiculous statements after losing their loved ones. I hope in their hearts they know how many people feel their pain. Its so heartbreaking.

Oh, I'm sure he will. But the knee jerk reaction is often more telling than the advised/parsed/studied/coached response. I think we agree on that. :)

And Rick Perry is just an idiot. I suspect his IQ is hovering somewhere in the 90's so I enjoy listening to him try to sound presidential. :D

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
AGBF|1435155662|3893485 said:
There have been some really interesting social developments that resulted from this tragedy. One is the unexpected, and I do not think-from my reading-unexpected only to me-widespread movement that sprang up to remove the Confederate battle flag not only from the grounds of the South Carolina state house but from the license plates of the southern states that still use it and the popular groundswell that also caused Sears; Walmart; and Amazon to cease selling Confederate flags and other paraphernalia. It would be more than slightly ironic if Dylann Roof came to symbolize the end of the era when the Confederate flag was acceptable in the United States. It is surely not the legacy he had hoped to leave!

This is what I meant. This is what took me by surprise. That Strom Thurmond's son made a speech (he is a state senator in South Carolina now) saying that the flag must come down. That the descendants of Confederate soldiers are demanding it come down. Maybe we are ready to renounce the idea that it was all right to have a society where black people were subordinate to white people.

AGBF
:read:

takedowntheflag.jpg

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
iLander|1435157028|3893496 said:
packrat said:
Gypsy said:
packrat|1434857248|3892045 said:
That us v them mentality spills into just about every aspect of our lives anymore, seems like. There's a problem there.

I could not agree with you more Packrat. I could not agree with more.

The problem is Fox News. I don't know why people don't call them out for what they do: brainwashing. A constant barrage of a single view or specific set of information, without any dissent, is brainwashing. It's effective and evil. They spread hatred continuously and not realizing it is naive.

I've actually seen an incredibly staggering amount of us v them vitriol from people on FB--and it's not all to do w/the Fox News standpoint-it's the opposing side actually. The whole thing goes both ways. Both sides are massively guilty of it, but nobody wants to acknowledge their "own" side doing it.

I find repeated, intentional, systematic, corporate fact-bending (and brainwashing) far more insidious than a individual's personal opinion on Facebook.

Just sayin' ;-)

I see the same thing elsewhere too. I see it from *both* sides, and not just on FB. The Fox News side doesn't hold a monopoly on it. Both ends of the extremes do it.

star sparkle

Brilliant_Rock

MSNBC does the same exact thing, just from the opposing viewpoint.

I've stopped watching television news for exactly this reason. Both sides are just too extreme in both the information they provide, and their presentation of it.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
star sparkle|1435176519|3893720 said:

I've stopped watching television news for exactly this reason. Both sides are just too extreme in both the information they provide, and their presentation of it.

TV news/Nournalism is dead.
Today it's about money, AKA ratings. Period!

They get more eyeballs broadcasting gratuitous slanted crap the broadcast to ONLY the left OR the right than they'd get broadcasting balanced news.

Frankly I blame the dumbing down of America.
They are just being given what they want.

America's day in the sun is ending.
Now it's China's turn.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
star sparkle|1435176519|3893720 said:

Yup :!: .. :roll:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results