carat
color
clarity

Guillain Barre - Real Life Examples

Mayk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
hello friends...

My stepdad was diagnosed with Guillain Barre Syndrome yesterday. It seems to be a milder case but we will know more today when he sees the neurologist. It seems they think he had West Nile Virus and this was the trigger for the onset.

Of course reading the internet can scare the peanuts out of you... are there any real life examples with PS'ers you can share.. I understand it's a bit rare but I think we also have a number of health care providers. I would be interested in anything that could be shared. Thanks!!!!

february2003bride

Ideal_Rock
Mayk- I'm running out the door but wanted to post real quick that my brother had GB. And today he's totally healthy. His was pretty severe- he was paralyzed for 4 months from the waist down. He had the flu (NOT from a flu shot) and woke up the next morning paralyzed. But after months of therapy, he did get better. I was young when it happened but it's something by family still talks about. I hope your step-father makes a fast recovery!

Mayk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Feb03Bride|1342708092|3236577 said:
Mayk- I'm running out the door but wanted to post real quick that my brother had GB. And today he's totally healthy. His was pretty severe- he was paralyzed for 4 months from the waist down. He had the flu (NOT from a flu shot) and woke up the next morning paralyzed. But after months of therapy, he did get better. I was young when it happened but it's something by family still talks about. I hope your step-father makes a fast recovery!

Feb03Bride.. thank you so much. We actually received VERY good news this afternoon... while that is what they thought he had it turns out he doesn't. They do know it's a viral infection and they do know it has caused nerve damange in his feet but they believe he will continue to improve over the next week. If he's not better by Monday more tests.. but right now we are feeling a huge amount of relief.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
A friend of mine had this early 90's. It took a while to be diagnosed. She wasn't feeling well, went to the er, sent home. Then became partially paralyzed and couldn't breath on her own. I was soooooo scared she wasn't going to make it. After a long struggle, and rehab she's just fine and has 3 lovely children.

I think they know a lot more about it know than they did back when she had it.

Hope this helps and hope your Step dad gets well soon.

Mayk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's been craxy. They thought he had strep... Gave him antibiotics... My mother flys here, he gets worse, back to the doctor, then they think West Nile, which would be the trigger for GBS.... Mom flies home... .. Now..not... But viral with nerve damage in his feet and lower legs... We've been on a roller coaster. Scared the peanuts out of us!

Thank you for sharing

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm really glad the diagnosis has changed Mayk, you and your family must be so relieved! I'm hoping your step -father starts showing improvement quickly.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results