shape
carat
color
clarity

Groom's Grooves help? (e-pics and style question)

affguy

Shiny_Rock
So it seems to be almost exclusively women in here, but the forum title suggests I still might be able to ask for some help. My fiance picked up her dress this past weekend, and picked out her bridesmaid dresses, and then on Monday she got the flower girl dresses. Our wedding isn't till mid-September, but I'm suddenly feeling a bit under-the-gun to get myself and my guys squared away in the clothing department.

Venue is a 250 acre ranch, ceremony, dinner, and reception all outdoors. We're going for a very relaxed feel, there will be bonfires, a couple lawn/yard games, and decorations very homespun/vintage-y, with lots of mason jars, reclaimed wood, etc. It's still pretty warm here in September, and I'm trying to stick to a plain jane budget as one of my groomsmen just recently ended a long stretch of unemployment and another will probably start sqawking at around $250. I'm hoping for a Rat Pack-like "relaxed/cool" look (no chance of tuxes). With the heat, and the jacket of a suit being the most expensive part, my initial instinct is a grey 2-piece suit for me with bridesmaid colored tie (straight or bow) and put the guys in matching pants/shirts/ties, but then either suspenders or vests in lieu of jackets. My fiance has also expressed an interest in at least me wearing a hat, if not during the ceremony itself, then after probably in part due to my choice to wear one for our engagement photos.

Anyhow, knowing the Pricescope crew to be a creative bunch, and the gals in here to probably be more knowledgeable on groom(smen) fashion, I thought I'd see if I could scare up some good suggestions for how to pull this off. Keywords: Vintage, "cool", relaxed but still respectful of the occasion, grey, inexpensive but not tacky. For what it's worth, my bride's gown is cream colored and the bridesmaids will be in a deep purple. Accent color is a pale blue, or at least I think it still is.

OK, some e-pics:
her.jpg
me.jpg
suspenders.jpg

affguy

Shiny_Rock
and a few more
carry.jpg
laugh.jpg
jeans.jpg
away.jpg

slg47

Ideal_Rock
wonderful engagement pics! I think grey pants/vests would look awesome for the groomsmen.

StacylikesSparkles

Brilliant_Rock
First off, I LOVE your pictures! It seems like our weddings will be very similar in regards to the relaxed feel, outdoor, reclaimed wood, very chill kind of vibe. I most definitely do not want FI to be in a tux (it isn't him and I don't want to marry some weird version of him lol). For his outfit, he is doing a light gray pants and vest combo (probably banana republic or j crew) with a tie. We’re buying his stuff instead of renting, so he can wear the outfit again on our first wedding anniversary! The groomsmen will be in a darker gray pant with suspenders and will be wearing gingham ties in different colors (my bridesmaids dresses will be jewel tones, but different colors and the guys ties will coordinate with who they're walking with) made from an etsy vendor with a white dress shirt.

I can’t wait to hear more about your wedding! Let us know what you ultimately decide on.

4ever

Ideal_Rock
I like the look of the grey pant, white shirt and suspenders in your e-pics but that is a VERY casual look for a wedding. Personally (and without seeing your FIs dress or the bridesmaids dresses) I would go for the grey trousers and waistcoat with a white shirt and with a tie or bow tie (in the purple if you want to match the girls). What about doing traditional knitted ties/bow ties for a more vintage look? Also, if you wanted to differentiate yourself as the Groom you could be the only one in a jacket or a hat but keep your groomsman in vests to keep their costs down.

Here are some inspiration pics stolen from pintrest/google;

Screen Shot 2012-04-18 at 9.10.55 AM.jpg

Screen Shot 2012-04-18 at 9.11.18 AM.jpg

Screen Shot 2012-04-18 at 9.12.56 AM.jpg

Screen Shot 2012-04-18 at 9.34.04 AM.jpg

aviastar

Brilliant_Rock
We're also doing the more casual thing- ours is in the woods/meadow, barefeet, etc. We picked a color pallett and let the bridal party and groomsmen go from there. My FI chose grey/dark pants, blue button down shirt and accesory of their choice, i.e. suspenders, tie, vest, hats. No jackets as it will be hot, and I personally really enjoy the unbuttoned, rolled sleeve look with a button down. They will all be different, but coordinated and hopefullly most of them will be able to dress out of their own closets!

All my inspiration pictures are saved on my Pintrest- but can I just recommend you head over there and do a search (no membership required) for 'mismatched groomsmen'? You'll get PLENTY of great ideas!

StacylikesSparkles

Brilliant_Rock
Aviastar...you're the smartest girl ever for checking the mismatched groomsmen on pintrest! I woudl never have thought to search! Ahhhh...so helpful! :appl:

Clairitek

Ideal_Rock
First of all, I love your post. I love that you came over here to post about this topic and that you care so much! You two are adorable together and your wedding sounds fantastic!

I really, really like the look of the grey vests, white shirts, and grey pants. The vest fancies is up a bit. The look I'm referring to is 4ever's 3rd picture she posted (the one with the different grey for the groom... a look I like but don't think is needed if you don't dig it).

Best of luck planning the rest of your wedding!

aviastar

Brilliant_Rock
StacylikesSparkles|1334753592|3174091 said:
Aviastar...you're the smartest girl ever for checking the mismatched groomsmen on pintrest! I woudl never have thought to search! Ahhhh...so helpful! :appl:

HAHA, trial and error, my friend, no extra intelligence required!

But thank you!

vc10um

Ideal_Rock

affguy

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for all the suggestions ladies! Between your ideas and this set of pictures I found for a wedding that is *very* similar to the feel we're going for, I think I'm started down the path. I really like the first and third pictures posted above of the guys in vests, and the basic cut of the suits the guys are wearing at that link. (FWIW - That almost looks like they had our wedding, with our bridesmaids wearing similar boots, our flower girls in almost identical dresses, my bride in at least the same basic style of dress (I've seen the fabric, and know the styles she was looking at, but that's it) similar decorations, setting, etc. The suit they're wearing is Alfani Red from Macy's, a very affordable line. With Friend & Family discounts coming up in the next week or two (additional 25% off), I could get my guys into pants and vests for about $125 apiece, and the two who actually care to wear the suit after the wedding can buy the jacket for an additional $150. For myself, I think I like the look of the jacket, at least for the ceremony, in part because it would set me off from my guys. Assuming the jacket and pants (I'll go try them on this weekend to see), beyond that I'm still wondering. Options are just that, as in the link, or that plus the matching vest, or maybe a off-color vest I purchase seperately (would same color as bride or bridesmaid dresses be too matchy matchy)? Also considering some "flavor" in the shoe department, possibly argyle socks over nice shoes, possibly grey colored chuck taylor's. Shirts might be white or might be striped. I think bowties over vests would look a little too, um, "maitre d"ish, so probably straight ties...the suggestion for knitted is interesting, I've never owned one or really even noticed them, going to check them out further. Also maybe we go for some flavor with the ties instead of chuck taylors, or maybe we match bridesmaid dresses.

Edit to add: Looking closer, I think the suit in that wedding is probably sharkskin, vs the solid grey I linked, but the cut looks the same, right?

sillyberry

Brilliant_Rock
affguy, you're awesome.

That's a sharp suit. I love the idea of the pants, vest, and a fun tie, plus you in a jacket. Etsy has a lot of vendors who do custom ties if that's something you're interested in pursuing (I never found a fabric I liked, so didn't go that route, but I was looking for something fairly specific). A lot of them would be really good for rustic weddings. Personally I'm not a big fan of chucks (although I know some love that look), but I do think fun argyle socks make for a great details - and an awesome picture!

One further suggestion -- if you're not on ebates.com, I recommend signing up. You can get cash back from your Macy's purchase.

Phdecorate

Shiny_Rock
I have to say I love your e-pics! I like the idea of the Macy's suit for you and the vest and pants for the guys. It would be a bonus for them if it was something that can be worn again. You could do a different color tie than the other guys. I do like the gingham/plaid tie idea too. Argyle socks sound fun but not if you do plaid ties, that might be too much! I only like the Converse idea if that is really YOU. If it's not something your guys already own, letting them wear what they choose or giving general direction (black shoes) is more cost effective for them.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results