shape
carat
color
clarity

Groom''s Cake

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Starset

Shiny_Rock
Anybody doing a separate groom''s cake?

Is it served during the reception or at the rehearsal dinner? (or other?)

I assume their usually kitchy or sports themed in nature - reflecting the interest of the groom, right?

We met 4.5 years ago in a bar playing darts and we continued to play darts for years afterwards (leagues, tournaments, etc.)

Show your groom''s cakes!

I think I''m more excited about this idea than the actual wedding cake...

Dartboard%20cake_0.jpg

jcrow

Ideal_Rock
at first we were going to pass on the grooms cake. we thought with amount of people expected to show, it wasn''t necessary, plus it allowed the wedding cake to be larger. but, i think we are rethinking that. we may do a groom''s cake and serve it only at the rehearsal dinner.

Logan Sapphire

Ideal_Rock
We had a small one at our small rehearsal dinner. My husband wanted red velvet, which I guess is a traditional groom''s cake in the south.

moon river

Brilliant_Rock
Yep, Logans right. Red velvet grooms cake. A staple of the south.
9.gif

njc

Brilliant_Rock
Our groom's cake was supposed to be cut and served at the reception, but we all forgot, so DH and I spent the next 2 weeks eating it!

We met and both graduated from Virginia Tech so I used the Hokie Bird. The Hokie Bird is playing one of DH's favorite video games (Gran Turismo) and lisenting to DH's favorite CD's (Pink Floyd, Radiohead, Led Zepplin, Beatles, etc). I wish i had some close ups of the details on this computer... the little squares are sugar CD's of the actual covers to the bands albums! It was a dark chocolate cake with all sorts of fillings... mocha, raspberry, chocolate. It was made by Big Guy Cakes.

njc_hokie_cake.jpg

E B

Ideal_Rock
We''re skipping a grooms cake. I do like the idea of serving a little cake at the rehearsal dinner, though.

ky6

Shiny_Rock
We are planning on skipping the groom''s cake also. Decided to do lots of yummy mini- desserts and treats instead.

LizzieC

Brilliant_Rock
I love groom''s cakes! (Maybe because I''m a southern gal) They''re so much fun! Unfortunately given the fact that our wedding is going to be a very small DW and that our brunch reception already includes yummy dessert, I decided to forego any wedding cake for this wedding... we''re having a second wedding abroad in Dec., and might have both cakes at that one!

chickflick

Shiny_Rock
Remember in Steel Magnolias, when the groom''s cake was shaped like an armadillo with grey icing outside and red velvet cake inside? Road kill!

I loooooovve the Hokie Bird cake! That would so suit my FI who once spent an entire weekend trying to teach me the Gran Turismo game so that we could play it together.
20.gif

My FI is from the midwest so he''s not really into a groom''s cake like we do here in Texas, but I did let him help me pcik the flavors and fillings for our wedding cake. Does that count?

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
Love that dartboard cake!

We skipped on the groom''s cake, but I have been to weddings where they did a groom''s cake, and it was at the reception.

teebee

Brilliant_Rock
Our grooms cake is pretty boring... But very very very yummy!!

It will look something like this - but rectangular and only 1 tier - and is a chocolate cake with chocolate mousse filling and icing, then mocha flavored "stuff" drizzled on top. Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!!

gr008.jpg

selflove

Brilliant_Rock
I''ve been thinking that the "groom''s cake" is about the biggest coup the bakery industry has pulled over on marrying couples.

Does anyone know the origin of the groom''s cake? All I know is that it''s a southern tradition and I had never heard of it until I started planning my wedding. My girlfriend told me it might be b/c men tend to want some goofy flavor that isn''t really a mainstream flavor (in my FI''s case that would be banana cake).

teebee

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/28/2006 7:24:01 PM
Author: selflove
I''ve been thinking that the ''groom''s cake'' is about the biggest coup the bakery industry has pulled over on marrying couples.

Does anyone know the origin of the groom''s cake? All I know is that it''s a southern tradition and I had never heard of it until I started planning my wedding. My girlfriend told me it might be b/c men tend to want some goofy flavor that isn''t really a mainstream flavor (in my FI''s case that would be banana cake).
I have no idea about it''s origens - didn''t even know that it was a southern tradition but I guess that makes sense - I''ve lived in Oklahoma and Texas most of my life and I''ve never been to a wedding that didn''t have a groom''s cake.

Most of them that I''ve seen have been chocolate so I always just assumed it was a way for guests to have a choice of white or chocolate cake but I guess I''d never given it much thought. And, my other assumption was that it was one thing in the entire wedding that was unique to the groom - almost everything in a wedding revolves around the bride and is something the bride picks out or wants so I thought it was something done to highlight the groom in some way?

I asked FI if he wanted a cake with a deer on it, or a fish since he loves to hunt and fish. Or a tooth, since he''s a dentist... But thankfully he wanted the chocolate w/ strawberries.
9.gif

moon river

Brilliant_Rock
I know it''s a southern tradition. The outside is supposed to reflect the grooms interests or tastes but the center is to always be red velvet. The single girls were to take a piece home and put under their pillow and they''d dream of the man they were to marry. Although I wouldn''t want to eat the cake after sleeping on it.
14.gif

Chickflick-Loved the scene in Steel Magnolias where Weezer cuts the tail off for Drum and he tells her ''Thanks, nothing like a good piece of A$$''
9.gif
Also when Weezer told the baker it looked like an autopsy.
9.gif

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
This one looks tasty
aa24.jpg

teebee

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/28/2006 9:51:31 PM
Author: moon river
I know it''s a southern tradition. The outside is supposed to reflect the grooms interests or tastes but the center is to always be red velvet. The single girls were to take a piece home and put under their pillow and they''d dream of the man they were to marry. Although I wouldn''t want to eat the cake after sleeping on it.
14.gif

Chickflick-Loved the scene in Steel Magnolias where Weezer cuts the tail off for Drum and he tells her ''Thanks, nothing like a good piece of A$$''
9.gif
Also when Weezer told the baker it looked like an autopsy.
9.gif
Hmmmm... interesting.... Now that you mentioned it, I have heard the part of putting a piece under the pillow to sleep on it and dream of a future husband. But I have never heard of the red velvet rule. I love red velvet though so I would have been fine with that - but it never even occurred to me as I''ve never seen red velvet as a groom''s cake. Weird.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
By Roberta Hovermale Articles in this Topic Discussions in this Topic

"Having its roots in Southern tradition, the groom’s cake has been around for quite some time and is making a fashionable comeback on the wedding scene.

Traditionally, a groom’s cake was sliced and boxed for the unmarried girls attending the wedding to take home and place under their pillows in hopes that the man they dreamed of would be their future husband. Groom’s Cake has come along way since then. Today the cake is meant to be a reflection of the groom’s interests, whether it be one of his hobbies, favorite sport, alma mater,profession, etc..

The cake can either be ordered by the bride as a surprise for her groom, the groom can order it himself, or the bridal couple. Most importantly if the cake is to be displayed, near the wedding cake, its design and prescence should not compete with the wedding cake. The wedding cake should always have top priority in design and place of honor."

Huh, who knew?

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
GRITS knew...and those sent here to get their MRS.
3.gif

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/29/2006 12:31:07 AM
Author: Matatora
GRITS knew...and those sent here to get their MRS.
3.gif
What the H is a GRIT? Seriously?
33.gif
(I know "MRS," lol)

moon river

Brilliant_Rock
Grits are a southern favorite made from ground up hominy(Kinda like corn) Think along the lines of cream of wheat. Most eat them with butter and sugar. Some with salt and pepper.Some sprinkle theirs with chedder cheese. Others with red-eye gravy, another southern staple made from bacon grease and coffee.
2.gif

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/29/2006 12:46:21 AM
Author: moon river
Grits are a southern favorite made from ground up hominy(Kinda like corn) Think along the lines of cream of wheat. Most eat them with butter and sugar. Some with salt and pepper.Some sprinkle theirs with chedder chees. Others with red-eye gravy, another southern staple made from bacon grease and coffee.
2.gif
Ha ha, moon, I know what grits are--my dad used to eat them with red-eye gravy! I thought Matatora was using an acronym or a euphemism for some type of southern gal?

moon river

Brilliant_Rock
Well I knew you're a southern bell. I couldn't for the life of me figure why you'd never heard of grits.
9.gif
HHMMMM....wonder what grits could stand for??

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hee hee, you gave such a fantastic definition of grits, though, that I''m glad you misunderstood! And now I know what red-eye gravy is made from--my dad never told me. My mom never made it for him, (she''s a yankee, lol) but we''d go down to FL on vacations and on the drive down would always stop at random restaurants and he''d always order grits with red-eye gravy. Coffee and bacon drippings? Yikes! I used to eat them with butter and sugar sometimes at home, that was the only "topping" available in our house.

Hope Matatora chimes in with a definition of "GRIT!"
9.gif

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
Shame on both of you...but especially MoonRiver...

GRITS= Girls Raised In The South

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/29/2006 1:57:15 AM

Thanks, Matatora! I know, we should''ve known that, but hey--it''s late on a Friday night for cryin'' out loud! I will have to run that past my TX native friend who I share southern stories with and commiserate with over being transplanted to the north, lol!

Here''s a link to a "how dixie are you" quiz: http://www.angelfire.com/ak2/intelligencerreport/yankee_dixie_quiz.html

Pretty funny stuff!

njc

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/29/2006 1:57:15 AM

I knew
2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results