shape
carat
color
clarity

Groom''s black suit... adding a vest??

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Green with Envy

Brilliant_Rock
we decided Fi needs a nice suit for work and events so we are buying a black suit rather than rent a suit or tuxedo. I have been searching for the right "look" online and I seem to like when the guy wears a black suit, some sort of white/cream/silver tie, and a vest. i can''t figure out if the looks I see with vests are actually vest with tuxedos rather than suits? it is so hard for me to figure out the online pics if I am looking at black suits OR black tuxedos.

Wouldn''t adding a vest to a regular black suit make it seem more formal? do you RENT the vest? then you can''t get black because the blacks wont match... we don''t want to buy a vest because he will NEVER wear that again.

Does anyone have picture that they can post with the look I am talking about... NOT a black tuxedo, but a groom in a nice black suit with/without a vest so i can see the and overall look?

I am clueless about men''s clothing so this is hard to dress my groom... and he has never owned a suit so he has no opinion.

Thx!

ilovesparkles

Ideal_Rock
So I won''t be of much help, but I know a tid bit about the vest scenario. I called Men''s Warehouse, because our GM will not be wearing suits, just dress slacks and ties. We were thinking about the vest. Turns out to rent a vest, it is $25 per person. And only $35 to buy it. Assuming you can buy the vests at a retail store like JCPenny for equal $ or less. That''s all I know.
5.gif

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
honestly, I would not buy a black men's suit if this is his only suit for work (!!!) Black is for weddings and funerals, and most men who wear black suits to work are undertakers. Dark gray or dark blue would be the best choices for a first suit.

Anyway, a vest is a natural accompaniment to the suit (e.g. three-piece suit.)

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 4/1/2010 1:23:13 AM
Author: JulieN
honestly, I would not buy a black men''s suit if this is his only suit for work (!!!) Black is for weddings and funerals, and most men who wear black suits to work are undertakers. Dark gray or dark blue would be the best choices for a first suit.

Anyway, a vest is a natural accompaniment to the suit (e.g. three-piece suit.)
I would go for a dark grey as well. It will look less harsh and be more versatile in the future.

Green with Envy

Brilliant_Rock
Ok... forget the Black suit for work thing. he doesn''t have to wear suits to work and that is why he doesn''t own one... but i just figured starting him a small suit wardrobe wouldn''t be a bad idea.

My dress and the occasion is formal enough that originally he was going to wear a tux. It seems silly to rent one that can not be altered to him perfectly... he has a tall and lean. it makes way more sense to buy a black suit rather than a tux... at least he will wear it again. There was a guy on jay leno last night who wore a black suit with a nice shirt... no tie... so in our area people other than undertakers wear black if it is a cool modern suit (no pant pleats, etc.) or at least he will now have an outfit if jay leno calls...

Back to the vest thing.... black vest? White vest? cream vest? Just forget the vest? What do people think looks the best? And I guess we can just rent a decent one? My Fi says the only guys he has ever seen wearing vests are in the mafia movies. argggg.

Deelight

Ideal_Rock
FI is doing a three piece suit in charcol so not black but not grey and it looks really good - very finished and formal and not a tux.

I would just get your FI to try some on and see what suits him thats the best way to make the decision :) good luck

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I would go for a matching vest (3 piece suit) but I think it may look too heavy for a wedding. I also think that white would just blend into his shirt. Perhaps a more muted shade of one of your wedding colours?

PumpkinPie

Ideal_Rock
I love the idea of a charcoal suit - but for the vest, I second the idea of a muted version of one of wedding colours

monkeyprincess

Ideal_Rock
My fiance will be buying a new black suit for our wedding as well. He''s got suits in most colors already, and he occasionaly wears a black suit. Your fiance will definitely be able to wear it again. We thought about buying a tux (because rentals often are ill-fitting) but he really doesn''t have much need for one, and I want our wedding to have a somewhat less formal feel to it as it will be outside and we are having yellow as the color. I also decided against having the guys wear vests. They''ll just be in black suits with white shirts and yellow ties.

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock
You can buy three piece suits, if you're interested in the vest. When DH and I went to pick out a suit for him, we just wanted anything that was grey with pinstripes. He tried one on that fit beautifully with almost no alterations (usually jackets are way too short and way too wide for him). It happened to have a vest, which I wasn't crazy about at first, but he loved it, so he got to wear it
3.gif
I ended up actually liking the vest look when I saw all the guys wearing them together. DH's favorite part was that he could take his jacket off during the reception, but still have the vest on to make him look all fancy
10.gif

I'm not sure if you're looking for more of the white vest type thing, rather than a matching vest, but I'm sure you could buy the vest separately or rent. Just make sure that the suit jacket works well with a vest.

eta: I much prefer the three piece suit with a matching vest to the white or colored vests. I know they're popular for weddings, but I just don't like them for some reason.

lm wedding dad pic3.jpg

My fiance had to usher in a wedding last summer so he bought a black suit with a subtle grey pinstripe. He will be wearing that suit for our wedding as well, but with an updated color scheme. I too, was trying to imagine what his existing suit (that he has only worn once) would look like with a vest, as I''ve seen it without and he looks very nice that way, too.

I like the idea of a vest and matching pocket handkerchief for our wedding, something a bit more formal, but not quite a tux. It sounds like we are after something similar. I was going to have him try stuff on and pick out what he likes. I don''t mind spending an extra $10 or $20 vs. the cost of renting a vest. You could go shopping together
emsmile.gif

ilovesparkles

Ideal_Rock
OK, I don''t see why you can''t get a black suit and where it to other events after the wedding. Perhaps I just don''t get it, but I agree with you Green. Depending on your dress and wedding colors, I would lean towards a white or cream vest with matching tie. That is what I have imagined anyways. Or,if you want him to have some color, a black vest with colored tie and matching kerchief in the pocket. I liked elrowen''s picture, it was quite helpful!

honey22

Ideal_Rock
Ditto the charcoal, such a classy sexy colour for a suit!!! DH wore a really well cut ($600!!!) suit for our wedding, the cut was amazing and he looked fabulous! Well worth investing in a good suit he can wear again and again.

Deelight

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/1/2010 1:33:13 PM
Author: elrohwen
You can buy three piece suits, if you''re interested in the vest. When DH and I went to pick out a suit for him, we just wanted anything that was grey with pinstripes. He tried one on that fit beautifully with almost no alterations (usually jackets are way too short and way too wide for him). It happened to have a vest, which I wasn''t crazy about at first, but he loved it, so he got to wear it
3.gif
I ended up actually liking the vest look when I saw all the guys wearing them together. DH''s favorite part was that he could take his jacket off during the reception, but still have the vest on to make him look all fancy
10.gif

I''m not sure if you''re looking for more of the white vest type thing, rather than a matching vest, but I''m sure you could buy the vest separately or rent. Just make sure that the suit jacket works well with a vest.

eta: I much prefer the three piece suit with a matching vest to the white or colored vests. I know they''re popular for weddings, but I just don''t like them for some reason.

Ditto to this and Honey :) I know I already responded but they said it better :)

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Medium to light-medium gray vest.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results