shape
carat
color
clarity

Grey choice

Polished

Brilliant_Rock
Ok this topic is about Mark Zuckerberg returning to work showing us a wardrobe full of freshly laundered tshirts and hoodies. The tshirts are all the same shade of grey and the hoodies are all the same darker shade of grey. He said he does this to limit his need to make a choice, that then frees his mind and energies to focus on work and his charitable endeavours. Are you aware of simplifying any of your choices in order to free yourself to focus on something. In order to achieve goals in life do/did you find it necessary to shut out things that might distract you. I'd never really thought about this before but I found someone apparently reducing themselves to only grey clothing choices rather confronting.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
For many years all my clothing has been purchased used, from thrift stores.
It's a green thing.

Does that count?

Polished

Brilliant_Rock
Yes it does count Kenny - doing this probably freed up money for other priorities that might have meant more to you.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
:$$): :wavey:

maccers

Brilliant_Rock
I've been hearing about this more and more. Wearing the same dress for a year or only stocking your wardrobe with one style of garment and wearing it every day. It sounds like most people don't even notice that the person is wearing the same clothes over and over. Which speaks to our tendency to focus on our own image more than some one else's. When I go back to work in a few months, I'm going to try to pare down my wardrobe to a few items and just mix them up. When I was pregnant I didn't want to buy many clothes so I got used to a smaller wardrobe. It made it much easier to get dressed. To be honest, I find the vastness of my pre pregnancy wardrobe overwhelming and I just end up wearing a very small portion of it.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Interesting concept. I think I do this with food, I eat the same thing everyday for breakfast and lunch so I never have to figure out what to eat. However I like this clothes idea even a bit more.

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't have an obsession with any one color but I used to work at Macy's and I came to love the all black dress code. Having a work "uniform" really does simplify things, especially if it's not particularly important to you. I tend to buy the same style of shirt/pants in many colors and several times over. I consider a few simple staples repeated to be my work "uniform". I even wear the same shoes everyday, baring inclement weather. I have 3 pairs of the same shoe. The only thing I change up is my jewelry!

KaeKae

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Asscherhalo_lover|1455925310|3993097 said:
I don't have an obsession with any one color but I used to work at Macy's and I came to love the all black dress code. Having a work "uniform" really does simplify things, especially if it's not particularly important to you. I tend to buy the same style of shirt/pants in many colors and several times over. I consider a few simple staples repeated to be my work "uniform". I even wear the same shoes everyday, baring inclement weather. I have 3 pairs of the same shoe. The only thing I change up is my jewelry!

I had no idea that Macy's has an all black dress code. I've never noticed. How long has this been the case? (assuming it still is, I mean.)

I went to a Catholic high school. At first, I hated the uniform. I gradually got used to it. Then when I started college, I missed it. I hadn't realized how easy it was to just wear the same kind of shirt, skirt and sweater all the time. Now as an adult, I envy those who wear uniforms to work.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I believe it to some extent that is. Have any of you ever heard of the "paradox of choice" ?

http://www.npr.org/2013/11/15/245034685/are-we-happier-when-we-have-more-options

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Paradox_of_Choice

I agree with this:
The trick is to find the middle ground — the “sweet spot” — that enables people to benefit from variety and not be paralyzed by it. Choice is good, but there can be too much of a good thing.

Back to clothing options. I like choice but I do find my wardrobe to be very similar. I have a lot of clothes and shoes but they all have a similar theme and look so yes I guess I do this to some extent too. Though I am sure I have way more boots than Zuckerberg. :lol:

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
maccers|1455922541|3993079 said:
I've been hearing about this more and more. Wearing the same dress for a year or only stocking your wardrobe with one style of garment and wearing it every day. It sounds like most people don't even notice that the person is wearing the same clothes over and over. Which speaks to our tendency to focus on our own image more than some one else's.

Uh...this is not new. Should I show you a picture of my school uniform from 1967? It didn't have the choices that one has nowadays in private schools. There was a summer uniform and a winter uniform. The summer uniform was a light blue cotton skirt; a white regulation blouse (no picking your own); white cotton ankle socks; and brown Oxford tie shoes. A navy button down sweater was permitted. In winter the skirt changed to grey flannel. One added a grey flannel blazer. And the winter socks changed from white ankle socks to navy blue knee socks.

The philosophy was that we didn't have to think about what we would wear every day and that we would not concern ourselves with clothing.

And a lot of us had had mothers and grandmothers who went to the same school and had heard the same philosophy. ;))

maccers

Brilliant_Rock
AGBF|1455931354|3993135 said:
maccers|1455922541|3993079 said:
I've been hearing about this more and more. Wearing the same dress for a year or only stocking your wardrobe with one style of garment and wearing it every day. It sounds like most people don't even notice that the person is wearing the same clothes over and over. Which speaks to our tendency to focus on our own image more than some one else's.

Uh...this is not new. Should I show you a picture of my school uniform from 1967? It didn't have the choices that one has nowadays in private schools. There was a summer uniform and a winter uniform. The summer uniform was a light blue cotton skirt; a white regulation blouse (no picking your own); white cotton ankle socks; and brown Oxford tie shoes. A navy button down sweater was permitted. In winter the skirt changed to grey flannel. One added a grey flannel blazer. And the winter socks changed from white ankle socks to navy blue knee socks.

The philosophy was that we didn't have to think about what we would wear every day and that we would not concern ourselves with clothing.

And a lot of us had had mothers and grandmothers who went to the same school and had heard the same philosophy. ;))

I like the idea of school uniform but of course I never had to wear one. But regarding wearing the same outfit daily, It's an unusual choice in an office environment.

sonnyjane

Ideal_Rock
I've attended schools and worked jobs that both required uniforms or haven't. I ALWAYS prefer the ones with uniforms and am a bit bummed that my current job doesn't have one. I wish it did! Hate having to think about it.

Polished

Brilliant_Rock
I've found that no matter how large my wardrobe is I usually gravitate to a few faves that see me through each season. At the beginning of this year we did an enormous cull of every item we own (our two daughters came down from Melbourne and precipitated it). So far we haven't missed a thing.

Thanks for the links missy. Some of the points he made rang true for me, even though I didn't like to admit it. How to be happy with your jewelry, for instance when there is so much beautiful choice out there. The point he makes about the goldfish bowl being too limiting but the freedom to get something more or better that might actually make you less happy, is valid.

I was interested in you including food Stephanie. I stick to eating the same healthy options for meals as a way of making sure for the main part I eat healthy.

On the subject of uniforms. I remember we had a bottle green tunic, beige stockings, brown shoes and a green beret. We were meant to look smart but often there seemed to be a quiet rebellion happening. The scruffy, not tucked in look, complete with the "slept in my pigtails" hair. Or my personal favourite; the sultry look - dress hitched up high with a low slung belt and unbuttoned shirt. The only uniform rebellion I managed was refusing to wear the daft beret and even then I'd pop in on my head when passing through the front gates of the school past the uniform checking police on duty. I guess people do like to express their individuality through freedom of choice and no matter how extreme the regime is they'll find a way.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I thought the purpose of school uniforms was to discourage diversity and unfairness amongst children i.e. look who dresses more expensively who comes from a financially more advantaged background etc. So to keep the focus on learning and away from personal appearances and other differences that might interfere with learning.

Polished, going to go on a mini threadjack if I may. Hope it's OK.

I also found over time that some of my aesthetic preferences have changed. When I was younger all black was definitely my go to. I wore it almost all the time and IMO you always look more polished in all black but being in NYC it is definitely easier to get away with wearing all black all the time. As I got older I started adding more color and I find I enjoy it. I still have black as the base but definitely experiment much more with color and even prints. I enjoy a 60's/70's vibe in the way I dress. And yes I really (usually) enjoy choosing what I will wear each day and vary what I wear according to my mood. If I dress well it makes my overall mood cheerier. If I feel I look good I also feel better emotionally so for me they are definitely connected.

I agree with you Polished that often less is more and I find myself going to the same few wardrobe choices and neglecting a full 80% of my (too many choices) wardrobe. Good for you for getting rid of the clutter and stuff you just don't wear. I have too much stuff and definitely want to get rid of what I don't wear. Of course I have an unreasonable fear that as soon as I ditch them I will want to wear them again. And that has been what is stopping me. Ridiculous I know as I have not worn much of this stuff for many years. I have trouble letting go.

Do you guys get a mood boost from dressing a certain way?

Polished

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks missy - you've really brought me full circle back with this. I think I started the thread because I do like choice. It's nice to decide what I'm going to wear in the morning and co-ordinate jewelry to go with it. Whether I'm going to curl my already curly hair more or attempt to straighten it. I have to add that the massive sort out applied to the whole house (my laundry and kitchen have never been so tidy and efficient) nt my wardrobe - my wardrobe is down to me and I tend to be miserly about what I discard. I guess one of the ways I know I can discard an item of clothing is when I've got something new that becomes my go to piece making older ones redundant. Also I sometimes think when I look at an item in my wardrobe that I've had for years, that it suited my younger self but I'm unsure whether I'd get away with it now. So that's sometimes the nudge I need for discarding those pieces.

I'd be interested in what criteria others use when deciding it's time to do a cull of their clothing.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Some other criteria for me is if the clothing I am considering getting rid of is just plain out of style. I kid you not when I say I have some wardrobe pieces from the 80's LOL. I cannot even fit into them anymore so those are definitely getting repurposed! But also getting rid of the pieces that are just plain out of style. Big shoulder pads, exaggerated pleated pants, you get the picture. Even if/when these do come back it won't be exactly the same style so it looks dated no matter what. Thanks for starting this thread and inspiring me to
JUST DO IT.

Thanks Polished! I know it will feel good to have the extra closet space too! And my dh has been wanting to me de-clutterize for ages. I am ready. :appl:

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I work from home so have a uniform of sorts. Grey, black, white, tops. grey or black pants. socks can be optional :lol: . This does indeed help me not have to think about what I have to wear and allows me to focus my mind on other things.

And yes mostly the styles of the pants and tops are the same. I get more creative with gym wear.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
While it's not all gray, my wardrobe is 90% the same stuff. The only difference is the colors which still stick to a pretty close palette of blue/navy, green, purple and gray. I own nothing black except for underpants.

All my jeans are identical.
All my tshirts are identical, just in a variety of blues, greens, purples and grays.
All my camisoles are identical, again in a variety of colors.
All my cardigans are identical, variety of colors, mostly blues, greens, purples and grays, heavy on navy.
I have work "khakis" that are all identical, in three different colors. They go with everything I own.
I have two identical hoodies, one that I dyed a darker shade because it wasn't offered in a darker shade that I liked.
All of my underwear is exactly the same. I own it in both black and navy and two pair of "nude". I own enough to get through a month.
My bras are all literally the same bra. I own 8 of them. I rotate two of them per week.
I wear the same shoes every day: either navy converse low tops or navy vans slip ons. The only time that varies is when it's snowy (snowboots), or when I need to dress up (nice suede flat boots in winter or slip on flats in summer.)
All of my socks except for 6 pair are little white ankle socks. The other 6 are wool socks that come up to almost knee high. I wear those with boots in the winter.
I have probably 10 items that vary mixed in as far as tops are concerned, plus two dress pants, and one dress. Just for when I want to "mix it up" or have to dress up.

I have a ton of pajamas, almost all the same, Ill usually wear that for a week then wash it, and a bunch of workout stretchy pants, almost all the same as well. Just because that's stuff I don't rewear after I sweat in it til it's been washed.

I just figured out over time that this is what I am comfortable wearing. I am sure it's not entirely flattering.

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Before I retired I always bought 5 of everything because I truly disliked shopping and found it a huge distraction from whatever it was then.. I am not a good crowd person, carrying around bags of clothes. I can easily see why this guy feels the way he does.. it's not a chore he likes doing. To some to be color coordinated is not essential or needed.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
My first three years at the preschool, I had three pairs of pants and five shirts I wore. At the Dr's office, the last few years I worked there we wore scrubs, and I loved it. I've thought about getting some cute Disney etc printed scrubs and wearing them to preschool. I currently own more clothes than I have in several years b/c my coworkers got on me last year for not being able to join them when they'd do long skirt day or whatever. It makes me anxious to have a lot of clothes--this shirt goes w/this skirt but not these over here, but this shirt goes w/this *and* this but not that. Ugh-it's too much work for me. I will end up going back thru everything again so that I have say, three solid long skirts and three tops. I don't like to have clothes I only wear once or twice a season.

Puppmom

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would love to find a few items I like so much that I could wear them all the time (even better if my waistline didn't keep changing!). The stress of selecting an outfit in the morning is the worst part of my routine.

Like Polished, even though I own a variety of clothing, I tend to wear the same things over and over again. Problem is I'm bad at predicting what things will end up staples.

Polished

Brilliant_Rock
missy|1456056802|3993618 said:
Thanks Polished! I know it will feel good to have the extra closet space too! And my dh has been wanting to me de-clutterize for ages. I am ready. :appl:

I'm all for promoting marital harmony missy :wavey:

I've found everyone's replies so interesting. I've detected a "know thyself" theme running through many of the posts. Knowing what you're comfortable wearing, adapting it to lifestyle etc. Also that many do want limits placed around clothing choice as opposed to excess choice that can create confusion. I related to the buying 5 of one item in different colours. Many times I've worn something to death and wished I'd originally purchased two or more of the same thing.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Polished|1456289098|3994782 said:
missy|1456056802|3993618 said:

I'm all for promoting marital harmony missy :wavey:

I've found everyone's replies so interesting. I've detected a "know thyself" theme running through many of the posts. Knowing what you're comfortable wearing, adapting it to lifestyle etc. Also that many do want limits placed around clothing choice as opposed to excess choice that can create confusion. I related to the buying 5 of one item in different colours. Many times I've worn something to death and wished I'd originally purchased two or more of the same thing.

Oh I do this too Polished and I see other PSers do too. I have purchased dresses/pants/boots in multiple pairs. I have done this since the 80s LOL. When I love something I just buy a few of that something (if I can afford multiples of it that is) and wear it with abandon knowing I have back-ups. Honestly I am not even embarrassed about doing this. The only problem is if you have multiples of something and you gain or lose weight. That can be aggravating and it has happened to me but not too often so I still buy multiples of things though I admit these days I have been buying less clothes. I have enough. I also buy multiples of other things (Vitamix, coffee machines, etc) but that's another story. The only thing I don't duplicate is my bling. Cannot afford that.

And I agree PSers know what's comfortable and what looks good on them! :appl:

Starting my decluttering project this Friday Polished. Fingers crossed I am strict enough to make a difference. :lol:

mol42

Shiny_Rock
I believe I read somewhere before that Karl Lagerfeld wears the same thing everyday and he said that it freed him to focus on other things (or something to that effect.) I remember I found it wholly ironic that a fashion designer would wear the same thing every day!! However, this concept of a "daily uniform" has been brought up quite a bit. Lagerfeld's daily uniform may be a bit extreme,IMO, but many people may have a daily uniform and not realize it. I think that if you do know what type of clothes look good on you and/or what you feel beautiful in, it makes shopping easier with fewer costly mistakes.
After reading about capsule wardrobes and minimalist dressing, I tried the challenge of wearing only 30 items (including tops, bottoms, coats, and shoes) for 30 days and got really bored at the end of the month. However, I also learned I did not need so many clothes. Since then I have become very conscious in purchasing only clothes that I love, fewer items and increasing my cost per wear. I'm an obsessive list maker, so I actually keep track of how much I wear each item of clothing (argh! darn obsessiveness :angryfire: ) I culled my closet a few years ago and bought all new hangers. I have a set amount of hangers that leave about one inch space between hangers (which makes it easier for me to see what I have.) I refuse to buy more hangers which means a strict "one in one out" policy. For me, having fewer items (but each with its place in my closet) makes it easier to get dressed every day.

mary poppins

Ideal_Rock
Premium
All of my socks are black and the same style except for about three pairs. This makes it super easy when I do laundry as I only have to pair a maximum of six socks that stand out among all of the black. If an odd number of black socks come out, I don't care because I'm not pairing them anyway. The other black sock will show up eventually. I put all of the black socks in my sock drawer as singles and just pick out two as needed.

All of my underwear, except maybe three I rarely wear, is the same style and size. I only have to consider color depending on the time of month at which point I go for black.

Like others, if I find something I like, I buy in multiples. I'm not too fond of shopping for clothes.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like uniforms and I grew up wearing pinafores throughout my school years. I don't have to shop for clothes and there's never any question as to what is appropriate for that workday.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Anyone else wonder about the "shades of grey" reference here? From Zuckerberg? Surely not. :naughty:

I love a monochromatic look, but I couldn't handle a wardrobe devoid of color. There's an Instagramer, The Grey Gang, I think she's called, who does shades of grey and I like her style but would never adopt that for myself.

Elizabeth35

Brilliant_Rock
I initiated uniform type rules a few years ago. Saves a HUGE amount of time, packing for travel is easy and my closet stays organized.
Don't buy anything unless I am 100% happy with fit or it can be altered by tailor.
-only natural fibers, except no wool (prefer cashmere)
-no prints except for scarves
-no costume jewelry
-mostly black, Ivory, white, camel, navy. A couple silk shirts with more color but absolutely never anything neon or super bright.
-no plastic buttons, I replace them with nicer ones if necessary.
-if you find something you love that fits--buy multiples if possible.
-buy shoes and bags in classic styles. I buy fewer but nicer now. Carrying a black Tod's now and have one in neutral for summer.
Following these rules makes decision making super simple and eliminates 99% of the clothes I see out shopping.

This works for me but I am 58 years old and I HATE shopping and would prefer to look classic than trendy.
Twice a year I review closet and make any new purchases. I donate any rejects or send to thredup.com and get $ back. They send you a free prepaid bag to send your gently used clothing.

But if you love fashion--I say skip the uniform idea and enjoy!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results