shape
carat
color
clarity

Greet our new featherbaby

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Say Hello to our new baby, hatched ten weeks ago.
No name yet.
We don't even know the gender and never will unless we get an egg.
This is a Yellowsided Green Cheek Conure, the most quiet of all Conures.

I think the perfect bird has flown into our family.
Very loving, affectionate, and gentle even for a hand-fed baby.
No biting, no screaming to demand attention, which is common in overly-clingy needy parrots.
But it's only been a few days so knock on wood.

Mom and dad fed their three chicks until just before their eyes opened.
Then their human mommie took over hand-feeding with a syringe.
It was important to me to take delivery directly from the breeder (no pet shop in between) and at the optimal time in its development.
I also refused to buy from a distant breeder and have the bird flown to me, very common.

They are ready for their final home a week or two after they can eat on their own.
Unfortunately for the birds the vast majority spend months/years sitting in jail at a pet shop before landing in a home.
Time spent not being loved and handled impacts them psychologically and it takes lots of time and work by a knowledgable and patient 'owner' to bring them back to being good companions, if ever.
These are intelligent highly-social creatures.
IMO asking them to bond to humans carries the responsibility of meeting all of their needs.
That can't happen in even the best pet shop, which only has time to feed them and clean their cages.

When the breeder called to tell me the kids were ready I rushed right over and spent a couple hours handling all three.
This one was just putty in my hands, even allowing me to scratch under the wings.
Very trusting, no fear.

Like people parrots do go through development stages, terrible twos, puberty, sexual development and each brings personality changes.
I'm aware that this stage is the honeymoon and am prepared to continue to love and accept him/her through future changes.
Parrots can make such wonderful pets, but the human has to learn a lot; many thing have to be/go just right.
Birds are not automatic lovers, nor were they selectively bred for zillions of years to please us, as were dogs.
They are virtually wild animals.

Unfortunately many parrots end up in rescue agencies, rejected by humans who didn't do their homework, or were not willing to adjust their lives to meet a parrot's considerable needs.
I know, I know, I should have rescued one of these, but I opted for a new hand-raised baby.
This will be a true companion parrot, out of the cage and with me many hours of every day.
It will never be boarded when we travel, a true and full member of our small family will travel with us. I even brought my then-parrot to Vegas for that GTG.
At least it wasn't taken from the wild, or from a high-profit, high-volume, industrial baby mill that shoves a tube down their throats to feed them in 3 seconds and spends no time giving the chicks love.

screen_shot_2016-03-28_at_10.png

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Awww Kenny, he/she is a beautiful new addition to your family! :love: :love: :love: Congratulations! :appl:

Garnetgirl

Ideal_Rock
What a beautiful new family member!

GCGDanielle

Shiny_Rock
What a beautiful bird! Love all of her/his colors. Thank you for all of the information about the process; I have learned a lot from your post. :read:

Will you choose a unisex name?

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow Kenny! :love: :love: :love: Hello Featherbaby! :wavey:

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congratulations on your new family member...what do the siblings think of her/him?

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
GCGDanielle|1459189648|4012097 said:
What a beautiful bird! Love all of her/his colors. Thank you for all of the information about the process; I have learned a lot from your post. :read:

Will you choose a unisex name?

Thanks all. :wavey:

Yeah, I should pick a gender-neutral name.

I've started collecting names from this site:
http://www.birdbytes.com/names3.html

A talking parrot is not important to me but some conures have been known to talk a bit.
I want a short two-syllable name with hard consonants like K and T.
They are easier for birds to say than soft consonants like M or H.
I've started a brainstorm list.

Does (s)he look like one of these? :lol:

Zelda Gonzo Kodak Bonzai Tico
Tango Kiwi Max Pepper Sony
Cookie Expo Okie Pita Bibi
Buddy Banjo Zoey Pokey
Nikon Kipper Coconut Scully
Cody Pickles Taco Q-Tip Bandit Coco
Kio Codi Kilo Snickers Tutti

Another name source might be names from their natural habitat, cities, forests, lakes, mountains in Bolivia or far-western Brazil.

MJ_Mac

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Congratulations on your new family member. What a sweetie! I vote for Tutti. He/she looks like a bowl of tutti fruiti ice cream.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
tyty333|1459189929|4012102 said:
Congratulations on your new family member...what do the siblings think of her/him?

Our two dogs, now 10 years old, are used to having a parrot in the house.
There was a bit of drama many years ago but this time they just looked up and said, "Oh Whatev!"

Both dogs and parrots are pecking-order animals.
Each one competes for a higher position in the pack/flock.
The parrot has always outranked our two dogs, and they all know it.

Humans are all into equality and fairness, but it's important to get that these animals are not, so we should not force our human-ness onto them.

Here's an old pic with our parrot who was killed by a cat.

screen_shot_2016-03-28_at_11.png

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I vote for COOKIE!!! because his coloring reminds me of RAINBOW COOKIES! :lickout:

GCGDanielle

Shiny_Rock
kenny|1459190912|4012112 said:
Here's an old pic with our parrot who was killed by a cat.

I'm sorry. :(
What was that parrot's name?

When I saw your new featherbaby, my first thought was SKITTLES. So many deliciously bright colors!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Kenny, I'm so sorry about your parrot who was killed by a cat. :cry:
I love a lot of the names you are thinking of and I think he/she looks like a Pickles or Cuko/Kuko or Tutti.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
GCGDanielle|1459191391|4012119 said:
What was that parrot's name?

That was Puppy, a Senegal Parrot.
RIP.

Some Southern California breeders told me Seneglas have stopped breeding here, perhaps related to their ability to sense the drought.

More Puppy pics.

Senegals like to lay on their backs.

Puppy exclusively endorsed House Foods Tofu.

Except for work Puppy went everywhere with me, hiding in my shirt.
When I talked to someone he'd climb up and peek out to see who it was.
Our new bird already loves to hang out in my shirt too. :appl:

screen_shot_2016-03-28_at_12.png

screen_shot_2016-03-28_at_2.png

screen_shot_2016-03-28_at_0.png

tofupuppy.png

Q

Queenie60

Oh Kenny - what a wonderful new addition to your family. :love: Beautiful new feather baby! Look forward to knowing his/her new name. Congratulations on your new addition. :appl:

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks all.
Might as well post these too, from yesterday's Easter celib.
My SO made easter eggs filled with goodies for all 3 'kids'.

He's so corny, but anything for a laugh. Right? :roll: :lol:
The dogs got treats that gave them the squirts this morning. :knockout:
Don't worry; I won't post pics. ;-)

screen_shot_2016-03-28_at_3.png

000two_eggs.png

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The parrot is beautiful - love all the colors! I'm sure he/she has found a wonderful new home!

Kizzy and Yaya still just as cute as ever!! (Might have misspelled their names though - sorry!)

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Kenny, I am loving all the photos you are sharing! All your fur babies and feather babies are precious and so beautiful! And I hope this doesn't embarrass you but you are a handsome fella!

alexah

Brilliant_Rock
What a good looking family! Thank you for sharing :wavey:
I am sorry about Puppy :(sad s/he was a beautiful bird.
Your initial post about how to raise and socialize birds reminded me of an article I read months ago. I'm going to post a link, in case you're interested; it's about veterans with PTSD taking care of birds with PTSD. It's not the happiest of articles but it is moving and (I think) worth reading:
http://www.nytimes.com/2016/01/31/magazine/what-does-a-parrot-know-about-ptsd.html?_r=0

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
missy|1459193381|4012143 said:
Kenny, I am loving all the photos you are sharing! All your fur babies and feather babies are precious and so beautiful! And I hope this doesn't embarrass you but you are a handsome fella!

Aw shucks, aw gosh, and golly-gee ... but that's my SO.
I'm ugly. :knockout:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
kenny|1459193905|4012151 said:

Well IDK if that is true not but you are handsome on the inside where it counts Kenny. :!:

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Soooo Cute!!!! :love: :love: :love: :love: :love:

I told my other half that the next pet we get will be called Santa's Little Helper. (I'm hoping for another greyhound but you just never know....lol)

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
missy|1459194042|4012152 said:
kenny|1459193905|4012151 said:

Well IDK if that is true not but you are handsome on the inside where it counts Kenny. :!:

That's what my surgeon told me. :lol:

Texas Leaguer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I vote for Tico. I just returned from a short stay (too short) in Costa Rica - the locals refer to themselves as 'Ticos' rather then costariquenos. There were lots of green parrots jetting around everywhere we went. They were very vocal so you always knew when they were around. I appears they rely more on speed and agility than on stealth !

The pics are awesome Kenny. Congrats on your new baby. :))

azstonie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love parrots, amazing intelligence and so so beautiful. What a wonderful home you offer, Kenny. You're the best.

I'm sorry to read of your loss of Puppy, I know it's painful. Lot of joy with your fabulous feather baby now, please post regularly, love to read more! :appl: :love:

And it was a pleasure to see Kizzy and Yaya and their Easter haul :appl: :wavey:

Names: Pickles, Tico, or my nickname, Kiki!!

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Love your new feathered friend!! Thanks for including all that information, very interesting to read. Since they are relatively quiet, here are my 2 picks for names, worth exactly zero cents:

Placido/Placida
Laqueta (could be spelled "Lakeeta" to play on the parakeet thing)

ac117

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congrats on your new addition, Kenny! He/she is super adorable and I'm sure will bring you guys a lot of joy and laughter! I had a quaker parrot named Sandi for many years who was given to me directly from a breeder so I know what you mean! They get very attached and really do show lots of personality and love! He learned to say a couple of words and would sing "La Cucarachaaaaa"! :lol:

I think I like Kilo, Tico and if you wouldn't mind a suggestion - Tiki is also cute! :) Can't wait to hear what you decide and see pics as he grows!

Q

Queenie60

Thank's for saying it Missy - I too think he is a handsome man but too shy to say! :o

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks all.
Keep them name suggestion coming.

Funny I was pretty much decided on Tico till I found that website.
I also have a soft spot for, Pickles.

Stupid me.
I meant to post this pick in my above post under the caption ... Except for work Puppy went everywhere with me, hiding in my shirt.
When I talked to someone he'd climb up and peek out to see who it was.
Our new bird already likes to hang out in my shirt.
:appl:

Parrots just want to be included in as much of your life as possible.
In the wild they are socializing and involved nearly every waking moment.
Mine 'helps' me in the kitchen, joins me in the shower, and perches on the head of my guitar when I play.
Sure they poop, but you'll learn their timing, put paper down, have bird-safe stations around the house, and adjust without much trouble or mess.
People talk about potty training their birds, but really it's the human that gets trained.
You'll wear certain bird-safe shirts with holes and chewed-up necks. :lol:

I get a little preachy about parrots, but only because they have been such an enriching contribution to my life.
I encourage others to share a challenging but deeply rewarding relationship with a companion parrot.

puppy_in_shirt.png

E B

Ideal_Rock
S/he's adorable, Kenny! Congratulations! I vote Pickles...I think that's adorable. Banjo is pretty cute, too.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
alexah|1459193801|4012148 said:
What a good looking family! Thank you for sharing :wavey:
I am sorry about Puppy :(sad s/he was a beautiful bird.
Your initial post about how to raise and socialize birds reminded me of an article I read months ago. I'm going to post a link, in case you're interested; it's about veterans with PTSD taking care of birds with PTSD. It's not the happiest of articles but it is moving and (I think) worth reading:
http://www.nytimes.com/2016/01/31/magazine/what-does-a-parrot-know-about-ptsd.html?_r=0

Wow, thank you for posting that article.
Looks fascinating.
I'm going to devour it later today.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results