shape
carat
color
clarity

Green Smoothies - Greens&Fruits?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

bebe

Ideal_Rock
Has anyone done these? I somehow stumbled on a few sites that go on and on about these
healthy smoothies. So I tried it and wow! I love ''em.

Some sites vary, but the breakdown is mostly 40% greens and 60% fruit.
Lately I''m doing strawberry, kiwi and spinach. You don''t taste the greens if you use enough
fruit. I''ve been doing this for breakfast and I have to say I feel better.
I''m going to get braver and try parsley as a green. Maybe I''m screwing it up, but I also
add a few tablespoons of plain yogurt and a drizzle of honey. Nothing bad there!

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
It sure sounds good to me. I am going to try it. I am pre-diabetic and this is a healthy way for me to get both fruit and veggies in. We just bought a new blender too.

Thank you bebe
35.gif

Linda

bebe

Ideal_Rock
Here are a few of the combos I found. Some ok and some I''ll have to get brave enough to try!

Mango-parsley
2 large mangos
1 bunch parsley
Water

Peach-spinach
6 peaches
2 handfuls of spinach leaves
Water

Mango-weeds
2 mangos
1 handful of lambs quarters, stinging nettles, purslane, etc
Water

Strawberry-banana-romaine
1-cup strawberries
2 bananas
1/2 bunch romaine
Water

Apple-kale-lemon
4 apples
1/2 lemon juice
4-5 leaves of kale
Water

Kiwi-banana-celery
4 very ripe kiwis
1 ripe banana
3 stalks of celery
Water

Pear-kale-mint
4 ripe pears
4-5 leaves of kale
1/2 bunch of mint
Water

Finger banana-spinach
10 finger-bananas
2 handfuls of spinach leaves
Water

Bosc pear-raspberry-kale
3 bosc pears
1 handful of raspberries
4-5 leaves of kale
Water

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
Those don''t look too bad, some look delicious except for that lamb thingy one whatever that is, ha ha ha ha ha.

Linda

bebe

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/13/2008 5:48:11 PM
Author: Linda W
Those don''t look too bad, some look delicious except for that lamb thingy one whatever that is, ha ha ha ha ha.

Linda

Yeah, sounds weird. My guess is it''s a "green". I think I recall seeing it somewhere, but I''m sure my local
grocery store doesn''t and never will have it. Maybe some of the gourmet cooks around here will chime in.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Never made them myself although I used to do a lot of smoothies. I usually buy the super green premade ones at Trader Joe''s and those are pretty good. I will have to try some of the recipes above!
36.gif

ellaila

Brilliant_Rock
A friend of mine is on a green smoothie kick right now, and she''s even using dandelions from her yard
32.gif
She says they''re really good for you. I dunno.

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
Dandelions are very good for you.

lauralu

Brilliant_Rock
ewwwwwwwwwww dandelions? YUK! i think for me that would rate right up there with grasshoppers or scorpions as far as being something too weird to eat.

So not as healthy as the greens but deffinately yummy....I have been blending my slim fast with frozen fruits. Even the Cappuccino flavor is yummy with strawberries and blueberries in it. I like how the frozen fruit makes it so nice and cold and refreshing.

Now I will have to start adding some sort of veggie to it as well.......well maybe...

I do like the idea of these recipes though. They have all sorts of 100% juice and vegetable mixed juices you can buy at the grocery store now. This would even be healthier!

Thanks for sharing this info!!!! I have to add when I drink my fruit/slim fast smoothies on a regular basis my blood pressure stays more inline as it it should be. Fruit and vegetables do wonders for you BP!

akmiss

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/18/2008 2:54:36 PM
Author: dragonfly411
Dandelions are very good for you.
I have seen people picking dandelions before! Apparently it is like spinach and kale. I would like to try it but have no idea on how to prepare them!

Have you seen the vita-mix demonstration at Costco? They were making icecream with blueberries and red cabbage. It was so yummy. I will have to add it to my list of expensive gadgets that I really want but propbably don''t need
15.gif

Speaking of Costco, I have been buying the "greens to go" mix that you add to bottled water. It is very good and I feel very energized. The drink is very green and thick looking but somehow tastes of apples and melon.

www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11233077

miraclesrule

Ideal_Rock
My favorite is kale, apple and ginger.

Yummmmmmmmmmmmmyyyyyyyyyyy

bebe

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/5/2008 12:56:37 AM
Author: miraclesrule
My favorite is kale, apple and ginger.

Yummmmmmmmmmmmmyyyyyyyyyyy

Sounds interesting, gotta try that one. Can you give me how you make it?
Is the ginger fresh?
What kind of liquid do you use?

miraclesrule

Ideal_Rock
I don't use any liquids in my juicer. I buy a bunch of kale, rinse it really good, rip off the leaves, because the stem is thick and can taste chalky.

I cut up some of my favorite Pink Lady apples and push then through and then a small amount of fresh ginger.

I just experiment. There have been times when I tasted it and went "Whoa, too much ginger and had to add more apple and kale to balance it out.

After a while you just get used to how much of each ingrediant suits your taste.

It really feels me up. And because kale has the highest percentage of calcium, it is very good for you. And well, apples and ginger are always good for you.

I will toss the pulp from the kale, but use the apple for various things, like mixing into my yougurt with some cinnamon....

bebe

Ideal_Rock
thanks miraclesrule -

I gotta try that. I did read about kale and you are right, it does have tons of calcium in it.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results