shape
carat
color
clarity

Green Smoothies - Greens&Fruits?

Discussion in 'Healthy Lifestyle' started by bebe, Jun 13, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
  1. bebe
    Ideal_Rock

by bebe » Jun 13, 2008
    Has anyone done these? I somehow stumbled on a few sites that go on and on about these
    healthy smoothies. So I tried it and wow! I love ''em.

Some sites vary, but the breakdown is mostly 40% greens and 60% fruit.
    Lately I''m doing strawberry, kiwi and spinach. You don''t taste the greens if you use enough
    fruit. I''ve been doing this for breakfast and I have to say I feel better.
    I''m going to get braver and try parsley as a green. Maybe I''m screwing it up, but I also
    add a few tablespoons of plain yogurt and a drizzle of honey. Nothing bad there!

2. Linda W
    Super_Ideal_Rock

by Linda W » Jun 13, 2008
    It sure sounds good to me. I am going to try it. I am pre-diabetic and this is a healthy way for me to get both fruit and veggies in. We just bought a new blender too.

Thank you bebe [​IMG]

Linda

3. bebe
    Ideal_Rock

by bebe » Jun 13, 2008
    Here are a few of the combos I found. Some ok and some I''ll have to get brave enough to try!

Mango-parsley
    2 large mangos
    1 bunch parsley
    Water

Peach-spinach
    6 peaches
    2 handfuls of spinach leaves
    Water

Mango-weeds
    2 mangos
    1 handful of lambs quarters, stinging nettles, purslane, etc
    Water

Strawberry-banana-romaine
    1-cup strawberries
    2 bananas
    1/2 bunch romaine
    Water

Apple-kale-lemon
    4 apples
    1/2 lemon juice
    4-5 leaves of kale
    Water

Kiwi-banana-celery
    4 very ripe kiwis
    1 ripe banana
    3 stalks of celery
    Water

Pear-kale-mint
    4 ripe pears
    4-5 leaves of kale
    1/2 bunch of mint
    Water

Finger banana-spinach
    10 finger-bananas
    2 handfuls of spinach leaves
    Water

Bosc pear-raspberry-kale
    3 bosc pears
    1 handful of raspberries
    4-5 leaves of kale
    Water

4. Linda W
    Super_Ideal_Rock

by Linda W » Jun 13, 2008
    Those don''t look too bad, some look delicious except for that lamb thingy one whatever that is, ha ha ha ha ha.

Linda

5. bebe
    Ideal_Rock

by bebe » Jun 13, 2008
    Yeah, sounds weird. My guess is it''s a "green". I think I recall seeing it somewhere, but I''m sure my local
    grocery store doesn''t and never will have it. Maybe some of the gourmet cooks around here will chime in.

6. monarch64
    Super_Ideal_Rock

by monarch64 » Jun 13, 2008
    Never made them myself although I used to do a lot of smoothies. I usually buy the super green premade ones at Trader Joe''s and those are pretty good. I will have to try some of the recipes above![​IMG]

7. ellaila
    Brilliant_Rock

by ellaila » Jun 18, 2008
    A friend of mine is on a green smoothie kick right now, and she''s even using dandelions from her yard [​IMG] She says they''re really good for you. I dunno.

8. dragonfly411
    Ideal_Rock

by dragonfly411 » Jun 18, 2008
    Dandelions are very good for you.

9. lauralu
    Brilliant_Rock

by lauralu » Jun 25, 2008
    ewwwwwwwwwww dandelions? YUK! i think for me that would rate right up there with grasshoppers or scorpions as far as being something too weird to eat.

So not as healthy as the greens but deffinately yummy....I have been blending my slim fast with frozen fruits. Even the Cappuccino flavor is yummy with strawberries and blueberries in it. I like how the frozen fruit makes it so nice and cold and refreshing.

Now I will have to start adding some sort of veggie to it as well.......well maybe...

I do like the idea of these recipes though. They have all sorts of 100% juice and vegetable mixed juices you can buy at the grocery store now. This would even be healthier!

Thanks for sharing this info!!!! I have to add when I drink my fruit/slim fast smoothies on a regular basis my blood pressure stays more inline as it it should be. Fruit and vegetables do wonders for you BP!

10. akmiss
    Brilliant_Rock

by akmiss » Jun 26, 2008
    I have seen people picking dandelions before! Apparently it is like spinach and kale. I would like to try it but have no idea on how to prepare them!

Have you seen the vita-mix demonstration at Costco? They were making icecream with blueberries and red cabbage. It was so yummy. I will have to add it to my list of expensive gadgets that I really want but propbably don''t need [​IMG]

Speaking of Costco, I have been buying the "greens to go" mix that you add to bottled water. It is very good and I feel very energized. The drink is very green and thick looking but somehow tastes of apples and melon.

www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11233077

11. miraclesrule
    Ideal_Rock

by miraclesrule » Jul 4, 2008
    My favorite is kale, apple and ginger.

Yummmmmmmmmmmmmyyyyyyyyyyy

12. bebe
    Ideal_Rock

by bebe » Jul 4, 2008
    Sounds interesting, gotta try that one. Can you give me how you make it?
    Is the ginger fresh?
    What kind of liquid do you use?

13. miraclesrule
    Ideal_Rock

by miraclesrule » Jul 4, 2008
    I don't use any liquids in my juicer. I buy a bunch of kale, rinse it really good, rip off the leaves, because the stem is thick and can taste chalky.

I cut up some of my favorite Pink Lady apples and push then through and then a small amount of fresh ginger.

I just experiment. There have been times when I tasted it and went "Whoa, too much ginger and had to add more apple and kale to balance it out.

After a while you just get used to how much of each ingrediant suits your taste.

It really feels me up. And because kale has the highest percentage of calcium, it is very good for you. And well, apples and ginger are always good for you.

I will toss the pulp from the kale, but use the apple for various things, like mixing into my yougurt with some cinnamon....

14. bebe
    Ideal_Rock

by bebe » Jul 5, 2008
    thanks miraclesrule -

I gotta try that. I did read about kale and you are right, it does have tons of calcium in it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.