shape
carat
color
clarity

Green diamond with green fluorescence

AndrewAWoody

Rough_Rock
Recently purchased a green diamond ring with green fluorescence. Bought it as a green peridot but suspected it wasn't. Shocked to find it was a diamond. Any home tests to see if color is natural? 20210614_021739.jpg 20210614_021739.jpg

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi, yes, diamonds can be colour enhanced. Green colour enhanced diamonds are done so with irradiation. There are no “at home tests” to identify whether the colour is enhanced or natural. It can be difficult for a lab to do so sometimes.
Your photo looks more blue than green?
I have yellow green diamonds and this is the colour they glow under UV light. 1121CA3C-AB3A-4395-A5DD-9F521B54D651.jpeg

helphelp911

Rough_Rock
Recently purchased a green diamond ring with green fluorescence. Bought it as a green peridot but suspected it wasn't. Shocked to find it was a diamond. Any home tests to see if color is natural? 20210614_021739.jpg 20210614_021739.jpg

Wow. Congrats getting a diamond at peridot price!!

AndrewAWoody

Rough_Rock
Hi, yes, diamonds can be colour enhanced. Green colour enhanced diamonds are done so with irradiation. There are no “at home tests” to identify whether the colour is enhanced or natural. It can be difficult for a lab to do so sometimes.
Your photo looks more blue than green?
I have yellow green diamonds and this is the colour they glow under UV light. 1121CA3C-AB3A-4395-A5DD-9F521B54D651.jpeg

Awesome, thank you for reply. Guess I'll have to send it off to GIA.

AndrewAWoody

Rough_Rock
Wow. Congrats getting a diamond at peridot price!!

I've gotten a chrome tourmaline, the green diamond, and a yet to be determined garnet buying "peridot" on Ebay. Been lucky so far as I have no interest in peridot. I look for "peridot" set in either 14k or 18k thats color looks not quit right to be peridot. I've found most, not all of course, peridot is set in 10k when it is a smaller stone so looking at higher carat gold has been great for me in my "peridot" purcahses :). Pretty sure the mystery garnet is a Mali Garnet because it's dispersion looks like a rainbow.

AndrewAWoody

Rough_Rock
I've gotten a chrome tourmaline, the green diamond, and a yet to be determined garnet buying "peridot" on Ebay. Been lucky so far as I have no interest in peridot. I look for "peridot" set in either 14k or 18k thats color looks not quit right to be peridot. I've found most, not all of course, peridot is set in 10k when it is a smaller stone so looking at higher carat gold has been great for me in my "peridot" purcahses :). Pretty sure the mystery garnet is a Mali Garnet because it's dispersion looks like a rainbow.

20210614_043510.jpg

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
are you sure it's a diamond?

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Are you sure it is a diamond?
There are other gems, especially including lab grown spinel and sapphire, that glow under UV light.
And if you are using one of those “gem tester” pens with the “light up colours” be aware that they aren’t reliable.
Sending the gem off to AGL or GIA is a good idea to get confirmation.

AndrewAWoody

Rough_Rock
There are other gems, especially including lab grown spinel and sapphire, that glow under UV light.
And if you are using one of those “gem tester” pens with the “light up colours” be aware that they aren’t reliable.

Yes, I took it to two Pawn shops and a jeweler.

AndrewAWoody

Rough_Rock

Trying to take a good pic but this is best i can do till i get right memory card for my camera. 20210614_201319.jpg

AndrewAWoody

Rough_Rock
I know it is a diamond, all three tested for that. Not sure if it's naturally colored.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Its almost certainly not naturally colored.

W

westofhere

It’s a pretty ring, though not worth much. I noticed that your other threads are about finding “treasures.” If you’re doing it to flip/resell, you might be better sticking with hallmarked silver or gold, and skipping stones; to resell honestly, you’d have to have a certificate, you’ll likely be disappointed in what certification tells you most of the time (I.e., there’s no reason to think this is a diamond other than hope), and certification may cost more than you paid for the piece.

AndrewAWoody

Rough_Rock
It’s a pretty ring, though not worth much. I noticed that your other threads are about finding “treasures.” If you’re doing it to flip/resell, you might be better sticking with hallmarked silver or gold, and skipping stones; to resell honestly, you’d have to have a certificate, you’ll likely be disappointed in what certification tells you most of the time (I.e., there’s no reason to think this is a diamond other than hope), and certification may cost more than you paid for the piece.

It is a diamond, I've had it tested. Also I pay very close to scrap value for the things I buy. The chrome tourmaline came in a ring that I removed it from in order to check for magnetisim. I bought a chelsea filter to finally determine what it was. I paid less than scrap for that ring. Picked this up as a hobby that might turn a profit and decided on green stones because they are often confused as peridot which is cheap. Demantoid, tsavorite, diamond, saphire, and chrome tourmaline are all sigificantly more than peridot. Peridot rarely has diamond accents so that is one indicator it might not be peridot. I'm looking at a ring right now I suspect to be another green diamond. It has an included "peridot" with two very nice diamonds set in 18k. None of that makes sense. Also the maker of the ring doesn't have another "peridot ring anywhere on internet. All high rings with diamonds, pigion blood rubys,, beautiful emeralds, and saphires.

Last edited:
W

westofhere

Only sending it to a reputable lab will tell you for sure what it is. Neither a Chelsea filter nor a magnet test will. Just make sure you’re not claiming, if you resell, that something is a diamond (or an Alexandrite, or turquoise, as per your other threads) unless you’ve had that done. It’s a pretty ring, though, and if the lab report doesn’t verify your claims you can sell the white gold for scrap.

AndrewAWoody

Rough_Rock
Only sending it to a reputable lab will tell you for sure what it is. Neither a Chelsea filter nor a magnet test will. Just make sure you’re not claiming, if you resell, that something is a diamond (or an Alexandrite, or turquoise, as per your other threads) unless you’ve had that done. It’s a pretty ring, though, and if the lab report doesn’t verify your claims you can sell the white gold for scrap.

One reason I settled on green stones is because peridot is colored by iron so I can mark it off list with magnet test :). Also, the chelsea filter helps in determining if chrome is present. I am fairly certain the chrome tourmaline is that but like you say, I only know what it isn't at this point and need GIA for resale. The color of it is considered top quality from what I've read so Ill probably send it in with green diamond.

W

westofhere

Unless the stone is worth less than the test. But it sounds like you’re in this for the thrill of the hunt—nothing wrong with that, unless you’re reselling and saying what you think the gems are without sending them to a lab first. That would be deliberate fraud.

W

westofhere

Here’s an example of what glitterata’s talking about—peridots that aren’t worth much on their own, elevated by their settings:

W

westofhere

Whereas a small poorly cut chrome tourmaline like yours is worth virtually nothing:

AndrewAWoody

Rough_Rock
Peridot is a birthstone (August), so it could easily show up in nice (expensive) settings as a birthday present, even though it's usually a cheap stone.

Absolotley. In my experience it is rare in 18k unless it is a large cart tough.

AndrewAWoody

Rough_Rock
Whereas a small poorly cut chrome tourmaline like yours is worth virtually nothing:

Probably not even quartz. Search for some GIA certified Chrome tourmaline. Many people are calling green tourmaline but the actual chrome tourmaline has chrome in it which gives it it's vibrant color. Mine is 1.5 carats. Here is 2.14 carat with GIA certification. https://litnon.com/index.php?page=viewgem&id=10894

pokerface

Brilliant_Rock
If that stone is a diamond, I would bet my right arm that it is irradiated or lab-grown. I am not convinced a GIA report would "add value" in this case, and I would recommend starting with a knowledgeable local gemologist who could give you an oral assessment for less money.

AndrewAWoody

Rough_Rock
If that stone is a diamond, I would bet my right arm that it is irradiated or lab-grown. I am not convinced a GIA report would "add value" in this case, and I would recommend starting with a knowledgeable local gemologist who could give you an oral assessment for less money.

Thank you, I will.

W

westofhere

Your best bet when purchasing is to calculate scrap (based on karat, of course), subtract GIA or other lab appraisal cost, scrap fee, any listing fee (at Etsy Pricescope etc) and then never pay more than that. Also keep the settings, as your rings may be worth more resold as a piece of jewelry than as an unset stone, even if they’re only set in 9k or 10k). That’s why silver can be a better bet—I once sold a hundred dollar estate sale squash blossom for 2k :).

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Buying this stuff to flip for a profit is unlikely to go well for you. These aren't expensive pieces or stones.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results