shape
carat
color
clarity

Great places to go in CA?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

codex57

Brilliant_Rock
SF: House of Prime Rib (just prime rib, but much, much better than Ruth''s Chris, Mortons, Lawry''s, etc... cheaper too)
LA: Crustacean (in Beverly Hills, but I think they have a branch up in SF too)

If you want cheaper food, Berkeley''s got some great stuff. You gotta try a Zachary''s deep dish pizza. Fat Slice is nice for the regular/thin crust type. Sufficient Grounds has great sandwiches (I love the Rosemary Chicken one). Top Dog has a nice selection of really good hot dogs, etc.

If you see a Cattlemen''s up in the Bay Area, you can give them a try. Great steaks at a pretty reasonable price. Very casual cattle ranch decor whereas the first two restaurants I recommended are more upscale (Crustacean''s often has celebrities in it).

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Mara you should definitely go! I really love it there.

Portoar-- that''s right! It actually is Oakland. As for Chez Panisse-- I''ve only been to the cafe and it was good, very good-- but well... it wasn''t as good as I was expecting. I don''t know.

Nabolom bakery is on my list now though. Sounds divine!

Charger: Kinkaid''s? Is that affiliated with the restuarant of the same name in Washington DC? Cause that is my favorite seafood restuarant ever.

Oh! And also in Berkely. Persian Burger. YUM! Just a place to stop in for ''fast food'' but oh! The Barg Kabob Sandwich is soooo good!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
OMG codex you DID NOT just recommend Cattleman's?!?!?
6.gif

That place is soooooooooooooo chintzy cheesy!!! I remember stopping there to eat one evening on the way home from like Lake Shasta or something...the food was meh and the whole decor thing was like an alternate universe. Their birthday song was like some version of Home on the Range.

I wouldn't recommend it as a 'California' thing...hehee. But sure if you want a taste of the most rustic parts of Texas in California, why not?!
2.gif
But for great steaks with some ambiance...I would not agree that is a must visit...then again I am an admitted food snob...and I *need* good ambiance.
5.gif

portoar

Brilliant_Rock
The Chez Panisse cafe is excellent, really not quite the dining experience that downstairs is though.

I agree about Zachary''s deep dish pizza. When we lived in the Berkeley/Albany area we''d head over to Zachs every weekend for pizza. It really is fantastic.

Also, I don''t know if Nabolom bakery is still there. Last I heard they were in danger of shutting down. But if they are still there, the pastries are heavenly. Not light, fluffy stuff, and in no way calorically correct. But try their chocaltine cookies . . . and they make a roll that I just love, it has millet seeds, and an herbed cheese in the middle . . . it doesn''t sound good but is divine.

Where is persian burger? That is not ringing a bell. Though it has been six years since I''ve lived in the Bay Area and more like 8 since I lived in Berkeley/Albany.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
There used to be a place in Berkley-- up shatuck that had incredible chocolate cheese cake. I think it closed years ago though. Will see if I get out to Berkely this weekend-- not holding my breath though-- but would really love to go to Nabolom. I swear there isn''t a decent bakery in the entire county I live in. Yuck. Possibly all of NJ. LOL.

Persian Burger is right on... I think it''s telegraph. The crazy street with all the bong shops. It''s right there. Just a ''joint'' but their sandwiches... not the generic chicken ones-- the lamb or beef kabob ones are just great.

codex57

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 7/24/2006 11:46:12 AM
Author: Mara
OMG codex you DID NOT just recommend Cattleman's?!?!?
6.gif

That place is soooooooooooooo chintzy cheesy!!! I remember stopping there to eat one evening on the way home from like Lake Shasta or something...the food was meh and the whole decor thing was like an alternate universe. Their birthday song was like some version of Home on the Range.

I wouldn't recommend it as a 'California' thing...hehee. But sure if you want a taste of the most rustic parts of Texas in California, why not?!
2.gif
But for great steaks with some ambiance...I would not agree that is a must visit...then again I am an admitted food snob...and I *need* good ambiance.
5.gif

Hahaha, actually, I recommended it cuz I find the typical "ambience" stuffy. Makes it harder for me to enjoy my food. I'm not a cowboy, but the atmosphere at Cattlemen's means I can enjoy my food without being bothered. Basically, I can be like a savage. When I'm eating red meat, I don't want some blue hair looking down on me and rolling her eyes cuz I like to cut my steak up into big chunks first before I eat it instead of prim and properly cutting a nice small bite one at a time. That's the problem with House of Prime Rib. Fantastic prime rib. Just, too stuffy of an atmosphere (think old english club). I've seen an old lady give me a "look" when I asked for thirds, but screw her. It was good meat, and extra helpings of the meat are free so I was gonna eat it until I got full.

Granted, the sides aren't the greatest, but I like whatever they age/marinate the meat in. I like the Rib Eye and the Prime Rib. New York and Porterhouse on occassion, but sometimes they just come out ok. But, since my wife is in the medical industry, she and I have gone to a ton of those fancy restaurants (on drug companies' dime hehehehe) and we both feel, as long as you order the right thing, Cattlemen's is as good and often better than a lot of those fancy steak houses.

Maybe it's different palate. I'm a meat and potatos guy. My old law firm took us out to eat at Bellagio's Picasso. Fancy french food. Some tasting menu or something like that. The food snobs at the firm loved it. For me and some of my fellow unsophisticated foodie coworkers, we thought it was pretty blah. Foi gras, in particular, was NASTY! But the foodies loved it so I'm just gonna say "different strokes for different folks."

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I love meat and potatoes. LOVE it. Think ''rustic'' places are fun. But well... I don''t like Cattleman''s. Got belly aches both times I ate there in college. *shrug* Ruth''s Chris and Morton''s are a fancier... but well... I''ve never felt anything but full and happy afterwards.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
hehehe....i get it codex, some of our fave places for mexi and burgers are total dives and sometimes the most divey places are the best...it just cracked me up because i was like Cattlemans...nooo!!! for steak I am such a food snob i don't care, i just want excellent steak and sides, and i like a nice ambiance. have you tried sundance mine in palo alto? it's like middle to upscale in terms of the guests i guess...but the food is awesome and the staff is very nice and also it's a typical dark booth steakhouse atmosphere so you feel pretty private and like no one is bothering you. i know what you mean about certain places with the vibe though, the grill at the fairmont has some of the best steak ever (and kobe for $100 for a 4oz!) but the atmosphere is very white table, black tie waiter kinda thing. definitely not going there in shorts and a tank. hehe. for ribs, has anyone tried henrys hi-life in SJ? we go there sometimes, it's got the most divine ribs but the place, divedivedive!!! i think that is part of it's charm. hehee.

codex57

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 7/24/2006 2:26:20 PM
hehehe....i get it codex, some of our fave places for mexi and burgers are total dives and sometimes the most divey places are the best...it just cracked me up because i was like Cattlemans...nooo!!! for steak I am such a food snob i don''t care, i just want excellent steak and sides, and i like a nice ambiance. have you tried sundance mine in palo alto? it''s like middle to upscale in terms of the guests i guess...but the food is awesome and the staff is very nice and also it''s a typical dark booth steakhouse atmosphere so you feel pretty private and like no one is bothering you. i know what you mean about certain places with the vibe though, the grill at the fairmont has some of the best steak ever (and kobe for $100 for a 4oz!) but the atmosphere is very white table, black tie waiter kinda thing. definitely not going there in shorts and a tank. hehe. for ribs, has anyone tried henrys hi-life in SJ? we go there sometimes, it''s got the most divine ribs but the place, divedivedive!!! i think that is part of it''s charm. hehee.

Oooooh, those places sound good. Haha, yeah. Sometimes, those divey places are the best. Mexican and Chinese food especially in my experience. In LA County, they have ratings posted in public. If I see a Mexican or Chinese place that has an A rating, that usually means you wanna stay clear. It''s the ones that have a C rating that usually are real good (as well as cheap). Thanks for the recommendations. Especially that rib place. Cali''s not exactly bbq country so I get all excited when someone finds a good rib place. Usually, all I get from asking friends is "Tony Romas".
29.gif

portoar

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 7/24/2006 1:26:30 PM
Author: Gypsy
There used to be a place in Berkley-- up shatuck that had incredible chocolate cheese cake. I think it closed years ago though. Will see if I get out to Berkely this weekend-- not holding my breath though-- but would really love to go to Nabolom. I swear there isn''t a decent bakery in the entire county I live in. Yuck. Possibly all of NJ. LOL.

Persian Burger is right on... I think it''s telegraph. The crazy street with all the bong shops. It''s right there. Just a ''joint'' but their sandwiches... not the generic chicken ones-- the lamb or beef kabob ones are just great.
You aren''t thinking of Cocolat in north Berkeley are you? It was up near Walnut Square. If so, then yes, it closed years ago. I do have the Cocolat cookbook though.

I wonder if Ay Caramba Burritos y Tacos is still on University. I lived on those things when I was at Cal.

qtiekiki

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/24/2006 6:36:13 PM
Author: codex57

Date: 7/24/2006 2:26:20 PM
hehehe....i get it codex, some of our fave places for mexi and burgers are total dives and sometimes the most divey places are the best...it just cracked me up because i was like Cattlemans...nooo!!! for steak I am such a food snob i don''t care, i just want excellent steak and sides, and i like a nice ambiance. have you tried sundance mine in palo alto? it''s like middle to upscale in terms of the guests i guess...but the food is awesome and the staff is very nice and also it''s a typical dark booth steakhouse atmosphere so you feel pretty private and like no one is bothering you. i know what you mean about certain places with the vibe though, the grill at the fairmont has some of the best steak ever (and kobe for $100 for a 4oz!) but the atmosphere is very white table, black tie waiter kinda thing. definitely not going there in shorts and a tank. hehe. for ribs, has anyone tried henrys hi-life in SJ? we go there sometimes, it''s got the most divine ribs but the place, divedivedive!!! i think that is part of it''s charm. hehee.

Oooooh, those places sound good. Haha, yeah. Sometimes, those divey places are the best. Mexican and Chinese food especially in my experience. In LA County, they have ratings posted in public. If I see a Mexican or Chinese place that has an A rating, that usually means you wanna stay clear. It''s the ones that have a C rating that usually are real good (as well as cheap). Thanks for the recommendations. Especially that rib place. Cali''s not exactly bbq country so I get all excited when someone finds a good rib place. Usually, all I get from asking friends is ''Tony Romas''.
29.gif
There''s a good rib place in Jack London Square. It''s more like soul food than Texas bbq though, but it''s yummy.

qtiekiki

Ideal_Rock
If you like fusion/Pan-Asian food, try The House on Grant Ave in SF - I love the seabass and the spicy noodles, really yummy.

There''s a great Thai place called Sabuy Sabuy at the end of College Ave in Oakland, you have to order their green mango salad (it''s not on the menu, so you have to ask for it) - it''s a mom and pop place not fancy.

I like Lulu in San Francisco for Mediterrean food - the steam mussle appetizer is great and they serve family style.

I second Zachary for pizza and Crustecean for crab.

flopkins

Ideal_Rock
I am a huge fan of Santa Barbara and Hearst Castle - esp the night tour there, if you can swing it. And if you don''t want to stay, at *least* check out the Madonna Inn off the 101 near San Luis Obispo - that place is amazing... (and by amazing I mean you will never see a place like it - ever!)

definitely check out the monterey drive, and the aquarium there... in SF I recommend Legion of Honor (museum near the GG bridge w/fantastic views) and there are sooooo many restaurants I can''t even begin. Personal favs are Aqua and Boulevard. Walk down North Beach and check out the nightlife... and Chinatown... personally I hate Fisherman''s Wharf but if you''ve never seen it I guess you can check it out. Fillmore street and Union Street have great shopping and food too.

In Berkeley I think Chez Panisse Cafe is overrated, I just went there a couple weeks ago and it''s definitely not up to par compared to other top notch restaurants in SF, but the actual CP restuarant is excellent, if you can swing a table and the price! Zachary''s pizza is one of my favs - yum. And Kirala if you love Japanese, although Ebisu in SF I think is better.

I also love Napa/Sonoma/Wine country - nice B&Bs and great wine tasting! how can you go wrong?!

9.gif

ChargerGrrl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/24/2006 7:48:08 AM
Author: Gypsy
Mara you should definitely go! I really love it there.

Portoar-- that''s right! It actually is Oakland. As for Chez Panisse-- I''ve only been to the cafe and it was good, very good-- but well... it wasn''t as good as I was expecting. I don''t know.

Nabolom bakery is on my list now though. Sounds divine!

Charger: Kinkaid''s? Is that affiliated with the restuarant of the same name in Washington DC? Cause that is my favorite seafood restuarant ever.

Oh! And also in Berkely. Persian Burger. YUM! Just a place to stop in for ''fast food'' but oh! The Barg Kabob Sandwich is soooo good!
Oops, I misspelled it. It''s actually Kincaid''s! Anyway, I just checked out the site, and there''s not one in DC. The only one on the East Coast is in Norfolk. Anyway, it''s my favorite seafood restaurant too!
http://www.kincaids.com/index.php?cook=1&locations=

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
lol flopkins...you should go into more detail on the madonna inn...you can''t send unsuspecting lizz over there without more details! hehee.

ChargerGrrl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/25/2006 1:52:35 AM
lol flopkins...you should go into more detail on the madonna inn...you can''t send unsuspecting lizz over there without more details! hehee.
A "pit stop" at the Madonna Inn is a must!!

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Madonna Inn is definitely over the top. Stop in a for one of their giant cakes...if you can stomach it.

South of Carmel, I would have to agree with the Nepenthe recommendation IF it is a nice day and you can see the coast. I just came back from Carmel/Monterey this weekend, and it was a lovely trip. I would also say don''t eat at Nepenthe...overpriced and very average food. It would be a great place to stop by and have a drink though.

Da (or Di, I can''t remember) Giovanni was a good Italian restaurant recommended by a local with whom we were staying. Bouchee in Carmel was a very nice restaurant...not the finest we''ve had, but certainly good. I''ve heard L''Auberge is good if you want an over the top kind of night, whatever that means.

Also Point Lobos reserve is worth a look if it''s a nice day and if you are into hiking/walking/nature. It''s about 8 bucks a car to get in but you can park on highway 1 outside the reserve and walk in for free. If you can, do this going south, so you can park on the side of the reserve and not have to run across highway 1. We put a bit of fruit in our backpacks and found a lovely spot to have a snack.

17 mile drive is nice, especially if you like golf courses. Do the drive from north to south (coming in from the Monterey side - Pacific Grove gate) because then you are driving closer to the beach, which makes for slightly more convenient stopping. Pebble Beach golf course is certainly worth checking out...it''s pretty. But we really enjoyed our stop at Spanish Bay. There is a Roy''s at the Inn at Spanish Bay, and while it is a chain, it''s great for appetizers and drinks while sitting outside and enjoying a lovely day.

Re: Santa Monica. Being a socal local, I''m not really a fan, but I suppose there is a reason why tourists love it. If you have a car and would like to find a small local pub to hang out in, check out Father''s Office. http://www.fathersoffice.com/html/fathersOffice.html It''s actually frequented by a lot of tourists now too since the cat is out of the bag, but they have great burgers if you are willing to pay as it''s not cheap. Made with dry aged beef and topped with onion compote, blue cheese, arugula on a bread roll, it''s really good. When they say no substitutes, they mean it. I''ve heard them call the chef "burger nazi." There is no ketchup for their yummy fries....they give you their own sauce. It''s also cheaper to order a side of fries with your burger than order "a la cart" (given literally in a small shopping cart) of fries. If you are going on a Thursday of Friday night, go early and stand in line before it opens. There are no servers and it''s every man for himself with seating, and it gets crazy. You also have to place all orders at the bar. Plenty of great beers on tap.

If you want to go away from the tourist areas but still want to hang out at the beach, I can recommend Manhattan and Hermosa beach. Both are upscale, but have that definitely relaxed beachy attitude. Hermosa has a pedestrian only area with bars and such, and also has a younger vibe. The beaches themselves are lovely...lots of people playing volleybal and a great strand to walk on with cool homes to gawk at.

I did get to check out Fourtane''s btw...great place, but I guess I am not as much of a jewelry lover as some here.
6.gif
I just glanced through and left, even though they were very pleasant and told me to try on anything I like. I think I prefer to look at all the cool photos of jewelry here on PS!
3.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
OMG TG...jewelry store sacrilege!!! Imposter!

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/25/2006 11:25:34 AM
OMG TG...jewelry store sacrilege!!! Imposter!
I know Mara. After the visit, I did think about giving up my PS membership....
39.gif
38.gif

lizz

Brilliant_Rock
Actually, the Madonna Inn looks really cool. I checked out the website. I think we''ll book a room there.

flopkins

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/25/2006 12:59:12 PM
Author: lizz
Actually, the Madonna Inn looks really cool. I checked out the website. I think we''ll book a room there.

awesome!!! I''ve always wanted to stay there, but unfortunately we''ve never been able to justify it bc BIL used to live out there and we would always stay w/him when we visited!

thanks portoar for the link - i meant to find it but was just too lazy last night. hehe.

I forget who else mentioned it but the cakes there are amazing too - order one slice for the both of you and it will be big enough for two meals!

I second TG on the manhattan/hermosa beach thing - and there is a street that runs parallel to the beach boardwalk, about one block in, that has all the shops and food. I forget the name of the street, unfortunately. Santa Monica is always so freaking crowded. ugh.

Also I don''t remember if anyone else brought it up, but if you have time to explore north of SF besides wine country, I think the drive down to Muir Woods/Stinson Beach is worthwhile, as is Point Reyes, but that''s a good ways further I think.

And I''m not sure where you''re from, but please pack light pants and light sweaters/ jackets to layer - in SF it is definitely NOT as warm as you think it might be (although right now it''s a huge heat wave) - I always joke to DH that you can always spot the tourists in Sf bc they''re wearing shorts.... and often they''ve got on a $15 fleece that has ''SF'' on it bc they had to buy something in Chinatown/Fisherman''s Wharf bc they were too cold....
9.gif

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/25/2006 1:34:28 PM
Author: flopkins

Date: 7/25/2006 12:59:12 PM
Author: lizz

awesome!!! I''ve always wanted to stay there, but unfortunately we''ve never been able to justify it bc BIL used to live out there and we would always stay w/him when we visited!

thanks portoar for the link - i meant to find it but was just too lazy last night. hehe.

I forget who else mentioned it but the cakes there are amazing too - order one slice for the both of you and it will be big enough for two meals!

I second TG on the manhattan/hermosa beach thing - and there is a street that runs parallel to the beach boardwalk, about one block in, that has all the shops and food. I forget the name of the street, unfortunately. Santa Monica is always so freaking crowded. ugh.

Also I don''t remember if anyone else brought it up, but if you have time to explore north of SF besides wine country, I think the drive down to Muir Woods/Stinson Beach is worthwhile, as is Point Reyes, but that''s a good ways further I think.

And I''m not sure where you''re from, but please pack light pants and light sweaters/ jackets to layer - in SF it is definitely NOT as warm as you think it might be (although right now it''s a huge heat wave) - I always joke to DH that you can always spot the tourists in Sf bc they''re wearing shorts.... and often they''ve got on a $15 fleece that has ''SF'' on it bc they had to buy something in Chinatown/Fisherman''s Wharf bc they were too cold....
9.gif
Yup...we see the same thing down here in the socal coast in may and june...since we get may gray and june gloom. The fog up north seems to run the bulk of the summer, right?

As for the street that runs parallel, I believe in Hermosa it''s Hermosa Ave. In Manhattan Beach, just check out "downtown" manhattan beach.

codex57

Brilliant_Rock
If we''re talking beaches, I gotta recommend La Jolla/San Diego. I''m a SoCal native and I never really liked the beaches in LA. Maybe it''s cuz I lived near them and got to familiar or something. Dunno. It seems the beaches get better as you go farther South IMO. Venice/Santa Monica sucks. It''s just boring there. Manhattan/Hermosa are ok, but I still find them kinda boring. I start getting more excited down in the Orange County area like Dana Point or Laguna. But the beaches around SD are the best IMO. Just absolutely gorgeous, cleaner, better weather, nice surrounding neighborhoods, etc.

I lived in West LA for over a year and I really don''t understand the fuss. It''s old and dirty in general, yet the moneyed people flock there. If I had a ton of money and weren''t in the entertainment industry, I''d spend my dough down in San Diego for beach front property.

portoar

Brilliant_Rock
yeah, there''s a gorgeous beachfront home for sale in La Jolla for only $21 million. Or go a tad north and there''s a killer beachfront home in Del Mar for only $50 million.

hoorray

Ideal_Rock
The street Flopkins was referring to in Hermosa Beach is Pier Ave, which turns into Manhattan Ave in Manhattan Beach. Definitely think those are two great beaches and towns. Manhattan is the more upscale town of the two, but both are fun and have nice wide sandy beaches with a strand to walk, run or bike along, and lots of authentic beach life as opposed to the shitick at Venice Beach or the tourists at Santa Monica. There are lots of good, local bars and restaurants all along there also up the side streets.

Another Half Moon Bay spot if you are driving through is 3 Amigos. It is an authentic, divey, tacqueria with GREAT food on the corner of Hwy 1 and Kelly Ave. It is always packed, (usually with Mexicans, which is a good sign) and a meal for 2 will cost about $10 (assuming you eat a lot
2.gif
).

I agree with the comments on Chez Panizze Cafe. There are too many other great restaurants in the general area to go to that one.

If you drive up 101 through Santa Maria, eat either lunch or dinner at Chef Rick's. (it's actually on the south end, in Orcutt.) It has really yummy (but not low cal) food with a cajun/New Orleans influence. It is in a strip mall not too far off of 101, and you would probably just drive by, but we ate there 3 times when we were there recently, and it is rated as one of the top restaurants in the area. An old time local introduced us to it.

One of my favorite Napa restaurants in Tra Vigne, about half way up the valley in St. Helena. We often wander in and eat at the bar if we haven't planned ahead.

Boy -- this thread shows just how many things there are to do and see in CA! I hope you have a lot of time.
10.gif

ETA: Mara -- gotta agree wtih you on Cattlemans. Never has been my favorite, and I think there are so many other places to go that it would never make my list... I'm not a atmosphere snob, but like a comfortable environment, and Cattleman's isn't it. I don't remember the food being great either, but it's been MANY years since I've been to one.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/25/2006 7:17:54 PM
Author: lop
The street Flopkins was referring to in Hermosa Beach is Pier Ave, which turns into Manhattan Ave in Manhattan Beach. Definitely think those are two great beaches and towns. Manhattan is the more upscale town of the two, but both are fun and have nice wide sandy beaches with a strand to walk, run or bike along, and lots of authentic beach life as opposed to the shitick at Venice Beach or the tourists at Santa Monica. There are lots of good, local bars and restaurants all along there also up the side streets.

Another Half Moon Bay spot if you are driving through is 3 Amigos. It is an authentic, divey, tacqueria with GREAT food on the corner of Hwy 1 and Kelly Ave. It is always packed, (usually with Mexicans, which is a good sign) and a meal for 2 will cost about $10 (assuming you eat a lot
2.gif
).

I agree with the comments on Chez Panizze Cafe. There are too many other great restaurants in the general area to go to that one.

If you drive up 101 through Santa Maria, eat either lunch or dinner at Chef Rick''s. (it''s actually on the south end, in Orcutt.) It has really yummy (but not low cal) food with a cajun/New Orleans influence. It is in a strip mall not too far off of 101, and you would probably just drive by, but we ate there 3 times when we were there recently, and it is rated as one of the top restaurants in the area. An old time local introduced us to it.

One of my favorite Napa restaurants in Tra Vigne, about half way up the valley in St. Helena. We often wander in and eat at the bar if we haven''t planned ahead.

Boy -- this thread shows just how many things there are to do and see in CA! I hope you have a lot of time.
10.gif

ETA: Mara -- gotta agree wtih you on Cattlemans. Never has been my favorite, and I think there are so many other places to go that it would never make my list... I''m not a atmosphere snob, but like a comfortable environment, and Cattleman''s isn''t it. I don''t remember the food being great either, but it''s been MANY years since I''ve been to one.
You''re right...I think that is the street that she is looking for...I thought she was looking for a street that ran parallel to the strand, but Pier Ave is the main drag up from the pedestrian section. Pier Ave doesn''t turn into Manhattan Ave though...I still believe it is Hermosa Ave that does that. But I never look at the street names because I''m a local.

I can second Chef Rick''s, although I would think you would need a reservation for sure. Not too many great restaurants in Santa Maria, so the locals know to come here (a local introduced me to it as well.)

lizz

Brilliant_Rock
We only have 8 days there. YIKES!!! You gave me a lot of great places to choose from, though.

hoorray

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/25/2006 7:36:17 PM
Author: TravelingGal
Date: 7/25/2006 7:17:54 PM

Author: lop

You''re right...I think that is the street that she is looking for...I thought she was looking for a street that ran parallel to the strand, but Pier Ave is the main drag up from the pedestrian section. Pier Ave doesn''t turn into Manhattan Ave though...I still believe it is Hermosa Ave that does that. But I never look at the street names because I''m a local.

I can second Chef Rick''s, although I would think you would need a reservation for sure. Not too many great restaurants in Santa Maria, so the locals know to come here (a local introduced me to it as well.)

You are right about Hermosa Ave being the street parallel to the strand. It''s been a while since I''ve thought about the sreet names there. (ex-local )
2.gif
. We didn''t need reservations for Chef Ricks, but we were there mid week, not on a weekend, last month, so that might make a difference. It was by far the best place we ate.

portoar

Brilliant_Rock
Lop, I agree about Tra Vigne, I wandered in during their opening week and absolutely loved it! I haven''t been back since though.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results