shape
carat
color
clarity

great experience with a vendor & appraiser

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Snufkin

Rough_Rock
Hello all!

I finally purchased a diamond - RB/0.56ct/D/VVS2/Sarin-0/medium blue fluor. from www.affordablediamonds.com This is a very beautiful stone. The vendor's service was superb, too. After I found out that the diamond I liked was already sold out, I gave them my preference of the stone by clarity, budget, fluorescence, etc. A few hours later they found such the perfect stone even with an unbeatable discount for me! I highly recommend them.

And if you are looking for an appraiser in DC area, I also highly recommend Mr. Martin Fuller (www.martinfullerassociates.com) in McLean, VA. The fixed-rate fee is more than reasonable. He will show you everything he does during the appraisal process and explain everything to you. He is a very nice and pleasant person, too.

Well, thank you guy for tons of info on diamonds. I couldn't have found such a perfect stone without this forum.

Good luck ya'll!
Snufkin

Sierra Nevada

Rough_Rock
Hi Snufkin,

Congratulations on your ring and your engagement! :appl:

I was wondering about your preference for fluorescent diamonds. Is it because of some visual difference you have seen when comparing them along side non-fluorescent stones? How would you describe the difference? Or did you base your decision on research or price? To my knowledge I have never seen a blue fluorescent stone, but then I never thought to ask about it. I'm curious and wonder if it would be worth my time to go to a jewelry store and ask to see some medium and strong fluorescent stones. Thanks.

Snufkin

Rough_Rock
----------------

I was wondering about your preference for fluorescent diamonds. Is it because of some visual difference you have seen when comparing them along side non-fluorescent stones? How would you describe the difference? Or did you base your decision on research or price? To my knowledge I have never seen a blue fluorescent stone, but then I never thought to ask about it. I'm curious and wonder if it would be worth my time to go to a jewelry store and ask to see some medium and strong fluorescent stones. Thanks.

----------------

Hi S-N! This is a really good question. I decided to pick a stone with fluorescence because I thought they are unique and because I wanted it to be super-white (My girlfriend is very pale, so the only choices I had for the ring were either white gold or platinum. But then I know she is allergic to nickle. Therefore the ring should be platinum, which means I wanted the stone to be absolutely colorless!) Just like you've done (as I imagine), I've researched on fluorescence on diamonds from every single available source on the internet until I was convinced that a fluorescent stone is the only way to go (don't you agree Fire&Ice?). I even went to one of the largest jeweler aorund DC just to see and compare in front of my eyes. Well, this trip ended up fruitless because the salesperson brought up only one stone and didn't let me see anything else (rejected!). Then I just decided to give a try - find a D-colored stone with medium blue fluorescence and take it to an appraiser. (Did I mention the "fluorescent discount" on the colorless stones? *grin*)

When I first opened the package and saw the stone, it looked like it almost had the life of its own - hard to describe. It's whiter than white and icier than ice. It doesn't look blue. It just looks soooo pure and piercing. It definitely does NOT look milky or oily under sunlight, either. Then I realized I've made a good decision.

During the appraisal process, Mr. Fuller first put my stone right next to E-color master stone. It obviously looked whiter. Then he proceeded to D-color master stone and we both agreed that my stone looks even whiter than D. To me personally, the D-color master stone (no fluorescence) looked a little dull next to my stone. Then he turned off all the lights in his office and turned on the UV light. It started glowing sky-blue and it sure looked pretty.

I think this debate really comes down to your own personal preference - some people might not want the stone to be that icy. But, if I will have to buy a stone again for my anniversary or something, I swear I will not even look at non-fluorescent ones!!!

Sierra Nevada

Rough_Rock
Thank you for replying. I actually just started getting curious about the fluor. stones after reading your posts and so I did a search of the topic. It sounded interesting, and unusual. I can see why you would choose such a diamond, it is different from the run of the mill choices and romantic. I think I may have to go see some!

So the fluor., to your eyes, defintely adds to icy whiteness of the D colored diamond. I think that's probably a good thing, they don't refer to diamonds as ice for nothing. But what about fire? Do you think it affects the dispersion/ fire of the diamond at all? Would it maybe cancell out the warmer flashes of color in the yellow/red spectrum? And increase the Blue/violet flashes? I know you are a diamond consumer and not an expert, but I'm interested in your subjective opinion as well as some experts technical explanation. I think you are more likely to see a diamond the way I, another consumer and non-expert, would. I don't respond to numbers and charts and rules. I respond to what I can see and compare visually, it's about the romance and the beauty for me.

I think it's odd that the public apparently used to desire and value these high color "blue-white" diamonds above others, then suddenly rejected them. Even if all the shady business practice stuff was to blame for undermining confidence, the true "blue-white" stones didn't change visually. Did the public's eye change? Were they just
following the herd then, or now, or both. Did they ever really see a difference then? That is, do people trust their own eyes when they buy? It's interesting.

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
----------------
On 10/18/2002 2:05:39 AM

----------------

I was convinced that a fluorescent stone is the only way to go (don't you agree Fire&Ice?). I swear I will not even look at non-fluorescent ones!!!

----------------

Yep, that's my personal preference. The fluor (to my eyes) add something I can not really describe except as "it can guide you through the night". My dad has nicknamed my new diamond "Rudolph" (as in the reindeer...won't you guide my sleigh tonight).

Even my little one gets noticed from a far. I am convinced they just glow.

But, then maybe that's just what is pleasing to my eyes. And, yes the cost saving is an extra bonus!

Good luck! I haven't seen a good stone w/ bl. fluor in the D range. Must be a headlight!

Snufkin

Rough_Rock
--------
Do you think it affects the dispersion/ fire of the diamond at all? Would it maybe cancell out the warmer flashes of color in the yellow/red spectrum? And increase the Blue/violet flashes?
--------

I really can't tell how it affects fire. After I posted the message, I took my stone under direct sunlight just for fun (it had been over-cast around here). Under the direct sunlight, my stone definitely had the blue tint surrounded by TONS of dispersion and the contrast - fire on ice - was incredible. When I cast shadow on the stone by putting my hand over, the obvious blue tint suddenly dissappears and looks super-white. I would say the amount and the quality of dispersion is more likely to be affected by the cut than the fluorescent. But, I do believe that the icy tint makes fire look a lot more attractive. That's my view as a keen consumer.

--- I think it's odd that the public apparently used to desire and value these high color "blue-white" diamonds above others, then suddenly rejected them. Even if all the shady business practice stuff was to blame for undermining confidence, the true "blue-white" stones didn't change visually. Did the public's eye change? Were they just
following the herd then, or now, or both. Did they ever really see a difference then?

That's another question I kept asking myself before I decided to buy this stone. When I visited Japan last year for a few weeks, I noticed EVERYONE was driving silver-colored cars. But, many years prior to the visit, I remember EVERYONE was driving colorful cars like greens and reds there. I remember someone once told me when recession hits, people prefer colder and darker colors in products. People's tastes change over time. I guess this is one of them. I really have a feeling that the "Blue-White" diamond will be in fashion soon. Whether the majority of consumers start to prefer blue-white again (and lose the interest after that!), I know the uniqueness and the beauty of this stone will not be changed just as in the past few hundreds of millions years!

Sierra Nevada

Rough_Rock
Snufkin, your stone sounds very beautiful. Thank you for giving such a detailed description of what it looks like in your eyes. I'm definitely going to ask to see some fluorescent stones next time I'm at the jeweler. They will probably think I am crazy and don't know what I'm doing, but I like to explore all my options. You know I just learned about the importance of cut from reading this board, and the more I learn the more curious I become about the various options. I think I'm becoming a jeweler's nightmare.

The point you made about Japanese car colors is right on the mark. I think people change their minds about what is desirable in response to larger influences. But in a world of Microsoft a few people will still choose Apple, so maybe fluor. diamonds are the Apples of the diamond world ;-).

Snufkin

Rough_Rock
--- I'm definitely going to ask to see some fluorescent stones next time I'm at the jeweler. They will probably think I am crazy and don't know what I'm doing, but I like to explore all my options.

Good idea! Just a reminder, you should be prepared for your jewelers - both local and online - telling how undesireble fluorescence is on a colorless stone. That happened to me every single time! I just told them that I researched thoroughly on that issue and had no interest in buying non-fluorescent one. I had a feeling from them that they were supposed to say that phrase regardless of their individual belief, because once they figured out that I knew what I was talking about, they admitted that they like it also. Strange, isn't it? I also noticed that local jewelers don't have much selection on fluorescent stones - not much on non-fluorescent ones, either though... Even if you find one at a local store, do you think they would let you go outside to see them under sunlight? :)

Good luck finding your perfect stone. I am sure it's out somewhere!

Snufkin

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results