shape
carat
color
clarity

Great customer service from Ari at Single Stone!

Lula

Ideal_Rock
I had some questions on an antique OEC ring I found at a local store. The price seemed a bit high for the specs, and under the loupe, I saw that the platinum prongs would need to be repaired for safety, and also that a few of the single-cut diamonds in the setting were damaged and would need replacing. The owner of the store said the repairs would be "no big deal" and he recommended several local jewelers to do the repairs. He was, needless to say, not that happy with my reply that restoring platinum rings is beyond the skill of most of the local jewelers (which they themselves admit!). I told him I was going to check with a professional restoration business in LA -- Single Stone. I left a message on Single Stone voicemail, and that same day I got a phone call back from Ari! What a polite, friendly, and professional person he is. We discussed the price of the item and said that he'd be happy to give me his professional opinion on the amount of work that needed to be done on the piece if I could send him some detailed photos. The seller is pretty firm on the price, so I'm not sure if this is going to happen, but I just wanted to publicly say thank you! to Ari for his help, and post my appreciation for Ari and Single Stone here on PS. We are so fortunate that experts like him are part of the PS community.

Gayletmom

Brilliant_Rock
I'm glad that you had such a good initial contact with Ari. I spent a few hours in his store last Spring and they are very customer focused. I hope to splurge on some jewelry from him someday!

bright ice

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have dealt with Ari, he made a custom setting for me. Super customer service, pleasant, courteous. I have sought his advice on a couple of stones, one of which he was not selling but had seen and he was very helpful.

kelpie

Ideal_Rock
You should congratulate yourself on having the good sense to leave platinum repairs to the experts. I've always been happy with their work and service. They are the only ones I trust on my antique repairs. I saw on fb they are having a 20% off sale on in stock items over $5k. That's pretty unheard of with prices for old cuts being what they are these days.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Glad to hear you had a great experience with them.

Lula

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for your comments, Gayletmom, bright ice, kelpie and Marcy.

Yes, kelpie, I have learned -- from reading many threads on PS -- that restoring vintage platinum settings is a job for skilled artisans. What really bothered me about this store's comments is that taking a ring like this to a local bench puts the local bench person in the position of inadvertently -- because sometimes they don't know what they don't know -- damaging this setting in an attempt to repair it. But I have learned that just because a store is selling vintage or estate pieces, it doesn't mean they know beans about how to repair/maintain them.

Ari was also really great about advising me not only on the amount of work the setting might need, but also on how fair the asking price was. I thought the store was asking a bit too much for the condition of the ring, and the size, color, and clarity of the OEC, and Ari gave me his opinion on the price, which was really helpful because I am very much a newbie when it comes to OEC's and vintage rings!

I am still considering this ring, but the seller is firm on his price and hasn't been willing to negotiate. I'll wait a few more weeks and see if it's still there and try again.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results