shape
carat
color
clarity

Grandmother's alexandrite. Setting broke off band. Need appraisal. Your thoughts?

Rockinmom1969

Rough_Rock
20210619_124731.jpg 20210619_124731.jpg

Attachments

• 20210619_125546.jpg
    20210619_125546.jpg
    115.9 KB · Views: 5

JackTrick

Brilliant_Rock
How do you know it’s an alexandrite? What kind of metal was it set in?

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
This style was very popular in the 1960s. The "alexandrite" in those rings was color-change synthetic spinel. (A natural alexandrite that size and quality would be worth many, many, many thousands of dollars. Even a synthetic alexandrite would be expensive.) I have the same ring, only with four prongs instead of 3 and a gold setting instead of silver, which is what yours looks like. It's a really fun ring, which is why they were popular, and yours has a family connection, so if I were you I would take it to a jeweler and have them reattach the the head to the band so you can wear it again. Or if you wanted you could attach a jump ring and make it into a pendant, or put it on a silver bangle...lots of possibilities.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
its in a very pretty setting
i look forward to seeing hands shots when its back from the jewler all fixed

W

westofhere

Out of curiosity, why are people sure re: Alexandrite instead of Amethyst? How does one tell via photograph? Thrift stores and pawn shops in my area are flooded with sterling-set midcentury-to-later pale amethysts because they, like treated citrine and treated light blue topaz (before London became ubiquitous) are so plentiful/common and thus so inexpensive.

I too think it would be lovely as a pendant, and would escape possible damage that way!

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Out of curiosity, why are people sure re: Alexandrite instead of Amethyst? How does one tell via photograph? Thrift stores and pawn shops in my area are flooded with sterling-set midcentury-to-later pale amethysts because they, like treated citrine and treated light blue topaz (before London became ubiquitous) are so plentiful/common and thus so inexpensive.

I too think it would be lovely as a pendant, and would escape possible damage that way!

99% of purple gemstones set in silver will indeed be Amethyst.
In the 60s and 70s there was a trend for Cocktail rings ie humongous gem set rings. A very popular “gem” was synthetic Spinel. Synthetic Spinel is a hard wearing gem with good dispersion.
In particular the variety that was a purple blue colour in daylight changing slightly to a purple pink in incandescent light was very popular. People referred to it as being Alexandrite.
An aside, my friends grandmother was a titled Lady and very rich. Upon her death the two daughter chose between the 10 carat diamond ring and the suite of “Alexandrite”. My friends mother chose the suite.
It was beautiful - a pendant, earrings, ring and bracelet all in 18ct yellow gold with huge “Alexandrites”. It came quite the shock to them all that the gems were actually synthetic Spinel. Apparently their purchase cost, at the time, was huge.
So many people inherit or acquire beautiful rings in 18ct gold or platinum and are then in some disbelief that the gemstone isn’t natural. Such rings were expensive and desirable in their day. These days synthetic material is made by the ton and cut by machinery so are like 50 cents a carat.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
In the 60s and 70s there was a trend for Cocktail rings ie humongous gem set rings. A very popular “gem” was synthetic Spinel. Synthetic Spinel is a hard wearing gem with good dispersion.
In particular the variety that was a purple blue colour in daylight changing slightly to a purple pink in incandescent light was very popular. People referred to it as being Alexandrite.
An aside, my friends grandmother was a titled Lady and very rich. Upon her death the two daughter chose between the 10 carat diamond ring and the suite of “Alexandrite”. My friends mother chose the suite.
It was beautiful - a pendant, earrings, ring and bracelet all in 18ct yellow gold with huge “Alexandrites”. It came quite the shock to them all that the gems were actually synthetic Spinel. Apparently their purchase cost, at the time, was huge.
So many people inherit or acquire beautiful rings in 18ct gold or platinum and are then in some disbelief that the gemstone isn’t natural. Such rings were expensive and desirable in their day. These days synthetic material is made by the ton and cut by machinery so are like 50 cents a carat.

Very interesting post Bron
i guess its like a lot of things that although pretty are not now worth as much as when they were when new
Just look at charity shops and 2nd hand stores chockka block with pretty things now discarded by today's grandmothers and baby boomers down sizing

that does of course not mean that lots of these pretty things do not have value or are not desirable
And of course @Rockinmom1969 's grandma's ring is very pretty and very much loved and wanted

High momentary value does not always equate to beauty

glitterata

Ideal_Rock

I assumed it was color-change synthetic spinel rather than amethyst because the OP described it as alexandrite, which has a color change, so I assumed the stone has a color change, which amethyst doesn’t. But if the OP says it doesn’t change color, then I’ll change my opinion to amethyst or purple synthetic spinel, both of which were popular in large sizes when this piece was made.

PrecisionGem

Ideal_Rock
Trade

Where do you find the 50 cent per ct created gems? The material in the rough costs way more than that direct from the manufacturer of the rough.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It definitely isnt natural Alex if it's in sterling silver. Either lab created spinel, amethyst, or synthetic alexandrite

W

westofhere

But you’re dealing with excellent high-end rough, and there’s lots of “junk” lab Alexandrite out there, it seems, set in sterling—I see it in thrift stores or “antique” malls that also have booths of contemporary mass produced blech—along w/bad lab alex the usual suspects: low quality amethyst, low quality green amethyst, light blue topaz, etc. Here’s an example of the godawfulness I mean that’s literally near worthless:

Where do you find the 50 cent per ct created gems? The material in the rough costs way more than that direct from the manufacturer of the rough.

qubitasaurus

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I love the username you picked.

As to the stone it should be easy to id it based on a couple of questions:

(a) does it shift colour in different lighting (literally to a different colour in the spectrum)?

Amethyst does not shift. Alex and synthetic alex both shift.

(b) Is the stone purple when you take it outside in normal daylight? Or is it blue green in normal daylight?

Alex is green blue in normal daylight. It is purple red in candlelight. From your photos of a purple stone near a sunny window. I am guessing this stone looks purple when you take it outside in normal daylight?

If this stone is purple in normal daylight it is probably not alex or synthetic alex.

if the answers is

(a) no. (b) yes.
Then it is amethyst.

(a) yes (b) yes
Then it is likely synthetic. Its not Alex as the colour ways are wrong.

(a) yes (b) no
It is possible it is alex or synthetic alex (type of synthetic colour change spinel or corundum). Size, and clarity suggest its synthetic. But you can follow up with a jeweler/apraiser to see.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m so sorry to post this but I can tell from the photos that this is categorically not Alexandrite (for many of the reasons mentioned by others) and a few more. I’ve collected Alexandrite for over 20 years now and have a reasonable collection and I can usually tell from photos (although some do surprise me).

Does it change colour? You haven’t mentioned that. If yes, it could be a synthetic colour change stone. If no then it could be a natural stone or it could be paste. I have a green paste stone that looks like an emerald in a really pretty silver setting that I inherited from my mum.

Whatever it is, it sounds like it’s very precious to you and actually that’s all that matters

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results