shape
carat
color
clarity

Graduation gift ideas?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

gailrmv

Ideal_Rock
My parents gave me $200 to choose a graduation gift! That was so nice of them! I just got my masters degree. Ideally I'd like to choose something of approx that amount, so that it will be all "from them" - not half from them and half from me! Any ideas? I was thinking maybe a pearl pendant on a white gold chain, or something from the Tiffany silver line, or a couple of Blue Nile silver pieces. Or maybe some briollette cut gemstone earrings or pendant.

Or, I could always save the money and put it towards something bigger later.... or if other relatives send any monetary gifts, combine them into a "mega graduation gift"? Next on my wish list is a diamond pendant. I also really like the David Yurman twisted silver bracelets with the gemstone ends, but I see a lot of young girls wearing them and I don't want something too trendy. I also think they're a little pricey considering the materials ($550). But I do think I'd enjoy it and wear it a lot, especially the blue topaz, since I wear a lot of blue.

I wish my parents understood my love of bling.... they really, really don't. They would probably be happiest if I put the money into my savings account! They are big savers. But I did ask them and they said it would be fine to choose a piece of jewelry to remember the occasion.

So basically, what would you buy for $200?

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gail, I would totally take the $200 and credit it toward your next purchase of a diamond pendant!
36.gif

gailrmv

Ideal_Rock
Thanks Monarch! I may well do that. Or... get something fun now while keeping the pendant on my long term wishlist. I have some silver necklaces that I enjoy wearing. I think if i got a diamond pendant I might not wear them anymore, and that would be sad.... what do people do who have lots of nice pieces - just switch them up every day?

By the way, has anyone come across any DBTY style necklaces from anywhere besides T&Co? That''s on my wishlist too!

I''m thinking more and more about the Yurman bracelet. I don''t see much about them on here. I am guessing that many PSers prefer things that are more unique, or maybe prefer things that are made from gold/plat instead of silver?? Any thoughts there? I know the bracelets have been popular for a few years, does anyone think they are a trend on the way out?

Any other designers you would recommend for silver/gemstone "fun" jewelry in the few hundred range?

gailrmv

Ideal_Rock

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Just to throw another idea out. If I had $200 to spend I would possibly spend it on an antique jewellery box that I would have for many, many years rather than a piece of jewellery that I might grow out of or buy something bigger eventually.

Otherwise I would buy an antique piece (estate I think you call it) - which would make the $$ go further.

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/14/2007 2:53:17 PM
Author: gailrmv
ooooh, may have just answered my own question!

http://www.pearlmansjewelers.com/jewelry-designers/pearlmans-collection/necklaces/08EE3/12/

What do you think of this dbty style necklace from pearlmans? Will the diamonds be toooo tiny to see? Hard to tell from the pic.

Again, it''s not really a money thing - I''d just really like to have something around the price my parents gave me so that it is ''from them.'' Is that silly or does it make sense?

Meh. It''s 6 different stones but it was not clear whether it was 0.11 ctw or 0.11 ct each stone. It seemed kinda tiny. I might pass on this and go for something with more oomph.

Fancy605

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 5/14/2007 4:22:01 PM
Author: Pandora II
Just to throw another idea out. If I had $200 to spend I would possibly spend it on an antique jewellery box that I would have for many, many years rather than a piece of jewellery that I might grow out of or buy something bigger eventually.

That''s a good idea. Last time I had a lil extra money set aside, I bought this (in cherry):

http://www.qvc.com/qic/qvcapp.aspx/app.detail

To hold all of my jewlery. It is now one of my FAVORITE things. It keeps everything nice and organized (and keeps silver from tarnishing) and it''s a pretty full length mirror all in one.

Although, you seem the type who''d rather have more bling than just a place to put it. What about a nice RHR?

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/14/2007 2:53:17 PM
ooooh, may have just answered my own question!

http://www.pearlmansjewelers.com/jewelry-designers/pearlmans-collection/necklaces/08EE3/12/

What do you think of this dbty style necklace from pearlmans? Will the diamonds be toooo tiny to see? Hard to tell from the pic.

Again, it''s not really a money thing - I''d just really like to have something around the price my parents gave me so that it is ''from them.'' Is that silly or does it make sense?
This chain would have tiny diamonds (under 2 points each), but it might be made so a pendant hangs from the middle since there are 6 stones. Then you could have different pendants that you could wear on the chain, including the diamond one on your wish list! I think this would be a great choice and would never go out of style.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/14/2007 2:44:14 PM
Thanks Monarch! I may well do that. Or... get something fun now while keeping the pendant on my long term wishlist. I have some silver necklaces that I enjoy wearing. I think if i got a diamond pendant I might not wear them anymore, and that would be sad.... what do people do who have lots of nice pieces - just switch them up every day?

By the way, has anyone come across any DBTY style necklaces from anywhere besides T&Co? That''s on my wishlist too!

I''m thinking more and more about the Yurman bracelet. I don''t see much about them on here. I am guessing that many PSers prefer things that are more unique, or maybe prefer things that are made from gold/plat instead of silver?? Any thoughts there? I know the bracelets have been popular for a few years, does anyone think they are a trend on the way out?

Any other designers you would recommend for silver/gemstone ''fun'' jewelry in the few hundred range?
Ha, I don''t know but I''d love to have that problem!!!
9.gif

James Avery has beautiful sterling silver (or gold in most pieces) jewelry with or without gemstones, I''m not sure of the website, though. I think Deco has dealt with them before or at least is familiar with them....I''ve gotten a few of their catalogs and they have beautiful things for your price range!

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
No suggestions, just wanted to say CONGRATULATIONS!!!! What an accomplishment, gail!

lumpkin

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/14/2007 10:25:21 PM
Author: KimberlyH
No suggestions, just wanted to say CONGRATULATIONS!!!! What an accomplishment, gail!
I agree. What an accomplishment! Congratulations.
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''d buy a colored gemstone and then set it myself. Dan Stair (customgemstones.com) has some awesome spessartite garnets right now.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/14/2007 10:25:21 PM
Author: KimberlyH

Me too! Congrats!!! That is awesome
9.gif

gailrmv

Ideal_Rock
hi everyone! Thanks so much for the ideas and the congratulations!!
Now, for the first time in two years, I actually have a bit of time off. This is my second day off and already I feel like such a slack! Oh well, once I start working again in June I will wish I had this time back so I had better make the most of it!
Thanks for all the great ideas. I love Blue Nile fun jewelry although to be honest the last piece I bought from there was lacking in quality so I''m a little hesitant. But previous purchases were very good. I already have a really nice jewelry box that DH bought me for the holidays a few years back, thanks for that suggestion though!
I love the idea of that DBTY necklace with a nice pendant hanging!!! Great idea. I might contact Pearlmans for more info and better pics of it.

I think I know what I want to do though. I received a bit more money from other relatives and my in-laws asked what I wanted. I asked DH if he thought it would go over OK to ask them for money towards an expensive necklace I wanted. He thought it would. So assuming that happens, I''ll probably have about $400 to play with. I think I will purchase a small ACA or ES round (between .25 and .33, depending on the price) from WF and have it set in a bezel or semi-bezel! That way it''s upgradeable down the line if I choose. I looked at the .15 pendant that Mara bought her sister and I just love that look. I''ll probably end up putting in a couple hundred of my own towards the pendant but I think it''s better to do that than end up with something small that I won''t enjoy as much.

What do you guys think?

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think it''s a GREAT idea. Much more bang for your buck. I love that look as well!
36.gif

mercoledi

Ideal_Rock
Ooh, I like the pearls idea, this set is just a smidge overbudget.
This necklace is beautiful too.

ETA: just saw your post- I think the solitare pendant is a great idea!

test.ms.jpeg

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/15/2007 11:44:39 AM

I think I know what I want to do though. I received a bit more money from other relatives and my in-laws asked what I wanted. I asked DH if he thought it would go over OK to ask them for money towards an expensive necklace I wanted. He thought it would. So assuming that happens, I''ll probably have about $400 to play with. I think I will purchase a small ACA or ES round (between .25 and .33, depending on the price) from WF and have it set in a bezel or semi-bezel! That way it''s upgradeable down the line if I choose. I looked at the .15 pendant that Mara bought her sister and I just love that look. I''ll probably end up putting in a couple hundred of my own towards the pendant but I think it''s better to do that than end up with something small that I won''t enjoy as much.

What do you guys think?

I have the same and I love it!!! I think the bezel makes it look bigger and it is soooo sparkly
9.gif
Sounds beautiful
30.gif

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock

What do you guys think?
I think it''s a great idea!!

Goodness, you are ahead of me now girl, I don''t even have a diamond necklace.
2.gif

gailrmv

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/15/2007 2:10:08 PM
Author: Ellen

I think I know what I want to do though. I received a bit more money from other relatives and my in-laws asked what I wanted. I asked DH if he thought it would go over OK to ask them for money towards an expensive necklace I wanted. He thought it would. So assuming that happens, I'll probably have about $400 to play with. I think I will purchase a small ACA or ES round (between .25 and .33, depending on the price) from WF and have it set in a bezel or semi-bezel! That way it's upgradeable down the line if I choose. I looked at the .15 pendant that Mara bought her sister and I just love that look. I'll probably end up putting in a couple hundred of my own towards the pendant but I think it's better to do that than end up with something small that I won't enjoy as much.

What do you guys think?
I think it's a great idea!!

Goodness, you are ahead of me now girl, I don't even have a diamond necklace.
2.gif
Then I think it's time to get one :) :)

I promise to post pics of my earrings soon. I owe it to everyone who helped, and especially you Ellen since you helped me a lot! As you can imagine, they are AWESOME. I love them! I wouldn't mind having studs a little larger (someday!) but mine are a great size - definitely visible, not overpowering. I only wish I could see them more without vainly staring into every mirror I pass... I will get those pics up! In the past couple weeks I've had a TON going on, with moving, exams and graduation, but now I finally have some time... just need to locate the camera!!

gailrmv

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/15/2007 11:56:52 AM
Author: Skippy123

What do you guys think?

I have the same and I love it!!! I think the bezel makes it look bigger and it is soooo sparkly
9.gif
Sounds beautiful
30.gif
Cool Skippy! Do you have pics posted on PS? I''d love to see! If you don''t mind me asking, what size do you have and is it on a slider or fixed bezel, and does it flip? I''ve been reading up on bezels and it seems some people have trouble with them flipping around. Thanks a lot for the reply!

gailrmv

Ideal_Rock
Mercoledi, FG, KCoursolle, monarch, pandora, fancy, marvel, SDL, Ellen and Skippy (and apologies if I missed anyone) I just wanted to say thanks for all of the ideas and well wishes. You have given me some really great ideas!

gailrmv

Ideal_Rock
Just curious, I asked this above but it might have gotten buried.

I don't see much on PS about David Yurman. Does anyone have any theories as to why? Just wondering!

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/15/2007 11:46:49 PM
Just curious, I asked this above but it might have gotten buried.

I don''t see much on PS about David Yurman. Does anyone have any theories as to why? Just wondering!
I don''t know anything about him, but I''ll give this a bump and maybe someone will chime in.

And I really am glad you love your studs.
1.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results