shape
carat
color
clarity

Graduation dress for ten year old - please help!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

darling

Shiny_Rock
My daughter will soon be graduating from fifth grade and we need a dress for her. My problem is, I have an awfully hard time finding things that are not pink and ruffly or too inappropriate for a flat chested ten year old. "M" has always looked better in more tailored/fitted clothes as she is very slender (slim sizes only) and not too girly. More of an Ann Taylor look, KWIM? We always seem to have this problem before all important occasions, weddings, etc. Can anyone recommend a source (N.California or online) that has simple dresses in good fabrics (cotton, linen, silk)? This dress does not have to be formal at all, more of a nice summer dress. Thank you in advance for your help.

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Nordstrom has a great "pre-teen" department that usually has nice dresses that aren''t too expensive. I don''t know what sizes they go down to, but it would be worth a shot!

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I know what I wore to my 6th grade graduation was hideous...
20.gif

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
Try Talbots.com. They have a cute kid store. I''ve even bought sweater sets, etc from there. Classic stuff.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/13/2007 5:09:35 PM
Author: fire&ice
Try Talbots.com. They have a cute kid store. I''ve even bought sweater sets, etc from there. Classic stuff.
Ditto!!! And Nordstroms too.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/13/2007 5:09:35 PM
Author: fire&ice

i agree with the Talbots recommendation, very classy and beautiful clothes for girls and pre-teens.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lilly Pulitzer? I realize you seem to be thinking of more neutral tones, but Lilly just popped into my head. If I had elementary school graduation to do over again I wouldn''t put my daughter into the dress I had her in for hers. She looked like a princess (the dress was white), but I really overdid it. I think now i''d pop her into a Lilly!

Deb
34.gif

VegasAngel

Brilliant_Rock
I found lots on Dillard"s website.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
American Eagle Outfitters has some really cute strapless dresses (yes I know she''s only 10) that come in size 00 and 0 you could maybe have straps sewn in and put a cute cropped sweater over for shoulder coverage...

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
I agree with Deb, Lilly Pulitzer has some really cute dresses. I saw some today, was there buying bedding for our new house. My daughter wore a Lilly dress to her middle school graduation. It''s funny cause she has worked for the company for the past 5 years, wish I had had the discount back then.
2.gif

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
I second the GapKids or LimitedToo recommendations. I was a very skinny kid as well, and my mother used to buy me and my twin sister clothing from both places that fit us very well. I think GapKids is probably more classic and tailored than LimitedToo, though.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
what about a really pretty printed full skirt and fitted sweater? I'm just remembering my piano recitals, grads, etc. at that age and my mother had the same issue with me...not wanting me to look too young and frilly, but not wanting me to look too grown up at the same time. I was also a skinny little thing so moving up to tween or jr sizes was a problem... my nieces were 9 and 12 when they were jr BM's for our wedding and we ended up having their dresses custom made due to the lack of appropriate dresses for that age range. Why, oh why, hasn't someone cornered this market?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results