shape
carat
color
clarity

Grad School Decision! ACK!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

velouriaL

Brilliant_Rock
Hi guys! So I''ve never posted on this forum before (but on the colored gems and jewelry ones a million times, seems like!), but I wanted to ask a question for anyone who has had to make BIG grad school decisions for yourself or your partner. Hopefully you''ll read my thread and give your opinions, experiences, etc.

I have already decided that I will move with my BF (who will hopefully, by that point, be my FH) whereever he gets into grad school for next year. So far, he''s heard back from 2 places, UCSD and VCU. Here''s the breakdown:

*UC-San Diego*
-Is ranked high but not VERY high for his program, but is considered a great school that is buidling a great reputation.
-He REALLY related to the professors there and likes their work
-Is giving him a full ride with BIG stipend
-Is flying him out at the end of the month to be recruited
-Is near L.A., which is great city for the work he does
-Is beautiful!
-I would like to have CA residency when I go to grad school in a couple of years

*Virginia Commonwealth Univerity*
-Is ranked #1 in the country for the program
-He''s not really as interested in the work the professors do
-We haven''t heard what kind of scholarships, etc., they''d give
-We haven''t really heard about any other recruitment they''re offering
-Is in Arlington... and we''re kinda'' more, you know, blue-state-city-folk, if you know what I mean...
-Is closer to NYC, which is a great city for him
-It''s closer to my family

So, except for the #1 ranking of VCU, UCSD is looking the best, but for schools, don''t you go to the best school if they let yuou in and not ask questions?

ANY advice, opinions, etc. is welcome!

ammayernyc

Brilliant_Rock
Just because a school may be ranked number one in some book, doesn''t mean it''s the right school for you (or your bf in this case). If he goes to VCU, he might be unhappy which will make his work suffer. So, he might do poorly. However, if he loves UCSD and really relates to the professors, he will do fantastic and his professors will recommend him highly.

It''s a very hard decision to make, especially being far away from your family. However, you and he have to do what''s best fo him, not what seems best for the general public.

velouriaL

Brilliant_Rock
Yeah... but being at the #1 program does help you make connections, no? We''re going out to UCSD at the end of the month, and then maybe we can make plans to go to VCU. That will help him decide. Thanks for the input!

ammayernyc

Brilliant_Rock
Yes, you do make contacts, but you make contacts at all grad school.

Personally, I think it''s better to be the big fish in the little pond...

JCJD

Brilliant_Rock
Grad school is tough - I'm in my second year of my PhD so I know! The ranking of the school you went to for your graduate career doesn't matter a dime if you were miserable being there and didn't really find your niche in research, didn't form bonds and relationships with the professors (think letters of recommendation in the future), and didn't get funding and therefore had to rely on heavy teaching assistantships your entire grad career - i.e. took forever to get your research done.

He should go to the school doing the kind of research he enjoys. Getting along with the professors there is a HUGE plus for UCSD, not to mention the stipend!!! He won't get much work done if he has to work 3 jobs just to pay tuition.

He will also make tons of connections whatever school he goes to, especially if he loves what he's doing and goes to conferences and/or publishes. Nothing makes a better impression on senior colleagues than ambition and passion for your work, which I suspect he won't have at VCU.

I decided which school to apply to solely because the advisor I wanted to work with is here. In fact, this is the only place I applied! The professor he works with has much more to do with success than the rank of the grad program he's in. ETA: This is to say, he has to get along with his major professor and that professor has to provide the kind of training your bf needs to succeed in his field.

My vote is, hands-down, no ifs ands or buts about it, turn off the oven I'm done, UCSD. He will have a much better graduate experience there from the information you've provided here.

I hope his interview goes well!!!

velouriaL

Brilliant_Rock
JCJD - Thanks for the input! I think we are leaning to UCSD... I mean, they really wooing him hardcore (full ride, stipend, recruitment visit, etc.) and I think that we would be happy in SD. I think he''s just worried that being at VCU will automatically put in a higher bracket for grant applications, future job offers, etc. I wish he could say that he went to UCSD but put down on his resume that he turned down the #1 program! Ha! What''s really funny is that he didn''t get into Yale (ranked #2), but that was the school with the professors he *REALLY* wanted to work with. He''s like, "Can I trade my admittance to #1 in exchange to get into #2?" Go figure!

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Can the alumni association for each School put you in touch with present grad students or alumni in your faculty that you can talk to about pro''s and con''s? Get some info right form the proverbial horses mouth??? I did this before I chose my grad school/program and was glad I did.....

cheers--Sharon

JCJD

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/8/2005 5
6.gif
1:24 PM
Author: Feydakin
Sort of looks like a no brainer to me.. UCSD looks like a winner hands down from here.. As long as you can figure out a way to afford California, and it costs a lot to live there, it''s the main reason I don''t live there anymore..

While you are there look at apartments and other things that will cost you money every month, power, gas, food, etc..

GREAT advice Steve and canuk-gal!!!! Definitely look into the cost of living there and see if his stipend will cover it. Will you be living together? If so, will you be able to find enough work to help pay living costs? What do other grad students do? Where do they live? He definitely should ask the grad students these types of questions on his interview - they''re there to answer those types of practical questions, not just talk research!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results