shape
carat
color
clarity

Grab and run

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
In another thread I mentioned that I didn't feel much like wearing my bling lately. Here's a new reason. MY gf in the bling business says there is a BIG increase in grab and run since the gold market has gone way up. Thugs are taking it right off your neck or wrist. One paper in London says diners were held up at dinner during the riots and forced to remove all of their jewelry. The state is now requiring you have proof of ownership of any gold you turn in. Last week I traded in an unused ring for an upgrade and I went through about 20 min of paperwork to prove I was not tuning in hot merchandise!

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock
its smart for gold buyers to ask for proof of purchase.if they buy stolen jewelry that a victim can prove is theirs then they are out the money and face possible jail time or shut down by the police. Had a bracelet stolen and pawned once and took me 16 months of looking to track it down, since i didn't have proof of purchase then i had to buy it back for their asking price! :(

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What sort of "proof of ownership" do they want?

I'm awful at keeping receipts long-term (and they fade anyway). What about gifts where the person doesn't have the receipt?

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
Interesting, a similar discussion in going on in the gold snatchers thread

diamondringlover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just sold some gold last weekend and they ask me nothing, but I was at a high end jeweler and I was having a ring sized and buying a new ring...so maybe that is why they never ask me anything...but it did get me to thinking about people that are trying to unload hot gold...you know you can send gold into JTV and they will give you money...so it will be pretty hard for them to monitor it.....

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results