shape
carat
color
clarity

Gr, argh - outbid!

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I am furious! Enraged! Disappointed! Reacting like a little kid whose shiniest toy has just been snatched! Or, basically, I just got outbid on the most beautiful bracelet I'd ever seen in my life. I waited until there were thirty seconds left on the auction to bid ... and some sun-of-a-gun won the game of "Chicken," bid at fifteen, and won the bracelet by fifty bucks! BAH.

I really do feel childishly disappointed. I HATE that.

LGK

Ideal_Rock
Aw. :blackeye: :blackeye: Link to it so we can commisserate? That does just suck. There are several things I still get irritated when thinking about, that I didn't get... even years later, haha. Not an auction, but I found a Rene Lalique green perfume in an antique store- the real deal, c.1920s- for $200 once, waited a day to research it because I was a super poor college student and spending $200 was, like, ramen for the rest of the month time- came back and it was gone. I swear it was almost 10 years ago, but it still pisses me off! It was easily worth several thousand then, and probably more now.

Esnipe is your friend- I totally recommend using it! I never bid any other way anymore, I swear.

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
It was BE-A-YOO-TI-FUL. ::sniff:: Alex Sepkus milgrain bracelet. He's probably my favorite goldsmith today ....

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120712363716&ssPageName=STRK:MEDWX:IT

There is ONE other thing that I have my eye on as a consolation prize, almost - a ring I've had my eye on for ages. Only thing is, I wear a size 5.5 on my ring finger and a size 6.5, roughly, on my middle finger ... and the one that's available is a 7.25. Whadda you think the odds are of my fingers swelling that much with summer/pregnancy/inevitable midlife-spread? :naughty:

tigian

Ideal_Rock
Awwww, Circe. ;(
That is a beautiful bracelet, but I have confidence that you will find an even more perfect bracelet for yourself. Whenever I lose out on an auction or something is out of stock in a store, I always tell myself I will find something even better and won't even remember what I am convinced was the best thing ever. It's hard though.....

LGK

Ideal_Rock
Circe|1303591256|2903568 said:
It was BE-A-YOO-TI-FUL. ::sniff:: Alex Sepkus milgrain bracelet. He's probably my favorite goldsmith today ....

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120712363716&ssPageName=STRK:MEDWX:IT

There is ONE other thing that I have my eye on as a consolation prize, almost - a ring I've had my eye on for ages. Only thing is, I wear a size 5.5 on my ring finger and a size 6.5, roughly, on my middle finger ... and the one that's available is a 7.25. Whadda you think the odds are of my fingers swelling that much with summer/pregnancy/inevitable midlife-spread? :naughty:
OMG. That is *amazing*. His work always catches my eye- it's exactly what I think my sister, if she let herself ever drool over jewelry, would love. Shall we have Bruno hunt down the high bidder and kneecap them for you? ;))

Hmmm. Thumb ring? That's what I did with a large eternity that I couldn't not buy (ridiculous) and I do actually wear it on my thumb from time to time. It's a great fidget toy! You could maybe have some huge sizing beads put in or something- but an eternity might poke out a bit even so, I guess...

ETA: wait, I'm just assuming it's an eternity band for some weird reason. If not, I vote get it and put mondo big sizing beads in it. I made that antique setting I had my OEC in for awhile fit that way- and it was at least 2 or 3 sizes too big!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That was a gorgeous bracelet! I bid the same way you do...the last few seconds. I hope you find one you love even more!

stci

Ideal_Rock
I'm sorry for you Circe but.... this bracelet really worth $ 4300?

Miss Sparkly

Brilliant_Rock
stci|1303611532|2903810 said:

After finding this site with other pieces...

http://www.foxsgemshop.com/catalog/designer-jewelry/alex-sepkus.html?p=1

I now realize that I have seen his pieces in person. I personally was not impressed with them. The bracelet she was bidding on would likely fetch around $1,200 to $1,400 in scrap based on my calculations. This ebay piece I do find to be very nice and I can just imagine the nice weight it would have while wearing it :love:

butterfly 17

Ideal_Rock
I know exactly how you feel. This has happened to me before as well. :(sad Don't worry, if it was meant to be, it will become available again.

I am actually in a similar predicament. I found a ring I love, but not my size. I know it will fit my middle finger though, so I am not sure if I should go ahead and bid on it. It's for my right hand, so I don't mind it fitting on my middle finger. I have a feeling it will go way more than what I want to pay though.

On the other hand, I was interested in another ring last year and it sold before the seller could get back to me with size and pictures. It turned out to be my size exactly.
A few months ago, I saw it relisted but for double the price by the person who bought it.

Now, it's relisted again, but still for more than the buyer bought it for originally. I contacted the seller and she said she would sell it to me for a little less than the list price, but it's still more than what she paid. I am trying to decide if it's worth it...

I know I am getting a good deal at her price, but part of me doesn't want to pay because I know what she paid for it last year.

Good luck deciding on your ring. :D

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
LGK|1303592370|2903583 said:
OMG. That is *amazing*. His work always catches my eye- it's exactly what I think my sister, if she let herself ever drool over jewelry, would love. Shall we have Bruno hunt down the high bidder and kneecap them for you? ;))

diamondseeker2006 said:
That was a gorgeous bracelet! I bid the same way you do...the last few seconds. I hope you find one you love even more!

AND Olaf. (Er, if you're a board member, congrats, of course.)

diamondseeker2006 said:

DS, thanks for the sympathy - methinks I'm going to sign up for one of those eSnipe thingies now. From now on, if I lose an auction, let it be because I am cheap, not because I am slow!

stci said:

All in the eye of the beholder, I guess - they retail for 10k! I have one of his eternity rings, and it's the finest work I've ever seen in my life: I really would have loved the bracelet. ;(

Sparkly Blonde said:
After finding this site with other pieces...

http://www.foxsgemshop.com/catalog/designer-jewelry/alex-sepkus.html?p=1

I now realize that I have seen his pieces in person. I personally was not impressed with them. The bracelet she was bidding on would likely fetch around $1,200 to $1,400 in scrap based on my calculations. This ebay piece I do find to be very nice and I can just imagine the nice weight it would have while wearing it :love:

Ooo, eye-candy! SB, you do know how to make me feel better - even if the retail prices do make me wince all over again!

butterfly 17 said:
I know exactly how you feel. This has happened to me before as well. :(sad Don't worry, if it was meant to be, it will become available again.

Oh, man, Butterfly, I hope you're right ... but in a decade of stalking all things Sepkus, that's the first time I've seen one of those, and much less for such a low price. Wah! But, hopefully, sooner or later something will present itself as an alternative .... :geek:

susimoo

Brilliant_Rock
Circe,
I can totally relate. I lost, in the last 10 seconds, on a little diamond bracelet in the early hours of Friday morning. I was the only bidder for a full week. :nono: I lost by all of $10!!!!!!!!!!! :-o :rolleyes: :(( :errrr: :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire:

So I did what all good (read totally impatient :devil: ) Pricescopers do. I went out that very day and spent almost double the amount I put as my highest bid and bought a bracelet at one of my favourite B & M store. It was more suited to what I wanted and almost double the tcw, but still small, under a carat.

It was more to my liking than the ebay one. I will be eventually doing a SMTB post on this and my recent upgrade.

I have had a crap few months and I believe life is too short to always be waiting on a bargain. Plus I feel I did something to support my B & M store and helped the economy!! :praise: ( :tongue: )

Good luck in your search. I look forward to your next purchase!! :devil: :halo: :Up_to_something: :naughty: :bigsmile:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Circe|1303615800|2903861 said:
DS, thanks for the sympathy - methinks I'm going to sign up for one of those eSnipe thingies now. From now on, if I lose an auction, let it be because I am cheap, not because I am slow!

Absolutely! Good luck!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results