shape
carat
color
clarity

Gown Picture Policy

Mashira

Brilliant_Rock
I've been looking at a couple of bridal boutiques in my area and I'm finding that some of the stores that have the
dresses that I'm looking at also have a 'no picture policy'. This is driving me NUTS! I don't want to buy the dress the day
I fall in love with it. I want to wear it, sleep on it, share pictures on here and with friends, and come to a decision
that I know is not an 'impulse buy' I will regret later. Has anyone had this issue when dress shopping? Anyone
know why boutiques have this policy? It's very aggravating!

MissMina

Brilliant_Rock
It seems odd not to let you take pictures of something so important and expensive.
But I do know people who can make very close copies of any garment from a picture
so maybe that is what they are worried about?

Iowa Lizzy

Brilliant_Rock
Luckily, I didn't shop anywhere that wouldn't let me take pictures. I think it's an irritating rule. Hell, that's how I ended up picking my dress! I took my top two contenders, cropped my head out of the pictures and showed them to DH side-by-side and let him pick the winner.

I don't really know what they're worried about. Do they think you're going to take your pictures to another salon and ask to see the same dress at a lower price? Well, you don't need pictures to do that, all you need is the designer and style name/number. The dress I bought was available at two stores near me. I called up store B and said "Store A will sell me this gown for $2400. Can you do any better?" And they did. And I certainly didn't need any pictures to get a lower price. I digress.

I don't know what the motive is for the 'no picture policy.' I think we've got some ladies here that have worked for bridal salons. Maybe they'll chime in with some reasons?

ts44

Brilliant_Rock
I ran into this at the first salon I went to and asked them why I could not take pictures. They told me that they have had people come in, try on their dresses and then take loads of pictures, and get the dress knocked-off by a seamstress or overseas. One of the brides in question actually TOLD THEM that was her intention. So to avoid that in the future, they instituted a no-pictures policy until you had put a deposit on the dress.

I brought up the same thing you did Travel Goddess - aside from a select few designers, all you need is the designer/style number and you can find any numbers of pictures of the dress online to have it knocked off - so why not let people take their pictures? The salon rep said they try to make it as difficult for people as possible - hence no pictures.

It was pretty annoying, and it does vary by salon. But, it's a business owner's prerogative! You can always take surreptitious pictures in the mirror in the dressing rooms when the attendant isn't there. Although one place I was at didn't even have a mirror in the dressing room, hah.

mrscushion

Ideal_Rock
None of the stores I browsed gowns at would let me take pics -- whether NY, Paris or the German stores I went to. But, I took pics anyway, with my camera phone. I agree it's a really annoying policy.

A

Anonymous

I understand it, but I also find it very annoying! I'm guessing it's more of an issue for the bridal salons that are more upscale vs the chain stores like David's Bridal, etc. For me, I know I probably won't run into this because my plus size needs and lower than 1K budget will exclude me from that issue. So I guess that's one bonus? :lol:

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
I find it annoying too. I think POB allows pictures, at least its website stated it did.

The salon I went to allowed me to take a picture of the one dress I was considering. I was new to the state and shopping by myself. I think they realized that I would not buy it without being able to send it to my friends for an opinion. But I do find the policy annoying. I felt like I had plenty of alone time in the dresses, I could have gotten more pics if I really wanted.

sillyberry

Brilliant_Rock
FWIW, I tried dresses on at Macy's which has a stated policy of no pictures, but my friend definitely got snaps (and not all that subtly) and the sales associate didn't seem to care.

Clairitek

Ideal_Rock
If you're allowed in dressing rooms at all by yourself, take some shots with your cell phone in the mirror. This is what I did to get around the no pictures policy in a few places.

nkarma

Brilliant_Rock
ts44 said:
I ran into this at the first salon I went to and asked them why I could not take pictures. They told me that they have had people come in, try on their dresses and then take loads of pictures, and get the dress knocked-off by a seamstress or overseas. One of the brides in question actually TOLD THEM that was her intention. So to avoid that in the future, they instituted a no-pictures policy until you had put a deposit on the dress.

I brought up the same thing you did Travel Goddess - aside from a select few designers, all you need is the designer/style number and you can find any numbers of pictures of the dress online to have it knocked off - so why not let people take their pictures? The salon rep said they try to make it as difficult for people as possible - hence no pictures.

It was pretty annoying, and it does vary by salon. But, it's a business owner's prerogative! You can always take surreptitious pictures in the mirror in the dressing rooms when the attendant isn't there. Although one place I was at didn't even have a mirror in the dressing room, hah.

I don't get how stores who have this policy make money. I guess if they cornered the market for an in demand designer. I went to one store where you were not allowed to take pics and they actually had a dress I liked, but sold the sample so I couldn't try it on again and didn't have pics to remember it. And the sales associate was with you the whole time so no you couldn't sneak. I find it wrong that I have to go against the stated rules so that I, an honest customer, can take pictures of what is a very big purchase/decision with no return policy.

I feel like the no picture policy is trying to punish the multitude of honest customers who are just there to buy a dress, for the very few who aren't. Those that want to rip it off will find other ways anyways. Have they heard of the internet? I just don't like it being automatically assumed that I am going to steal from them.

Just my two cents. They obviously have enough customers to remain in business though.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Personally, I can understand it in the cases where the designer has required that policy of their stores as a requisite to carrying that line.

Other than that... I think it's an excuse. If they kept their prices competitive and their customer service good, then they'd get the sales. But IMO, most bridal consultants have attitude, are like used car salesmen when it comes to closing the sale, and most salons pricing is not competitive.

There was one salon in NJ with a really cheesy name. They let me take pictures and even had their OWN camera, the sales people were FANTASTIC, and they included free alterations (complete, including train) in the price and I SO wanted to buy from them. But they ultimately didn't care the line I bought from. But they even agreed that the no pictures policy is ridiculous. They WANTED their brides to see themselves in pics. Great store. Great owner.

NakedFinger

Brilliant_Rock
I didnt read all responses, so I apologize if I am being repetitive...

Is this rule annoying? Yes. But is it necessary? Yes. Some salons, like Kleinfeld's in NYC, have "exclusive" rights to certain designers/designs. Meaning they are the only place that is permitted to carry said designer and/or styles of a particular dress. The reason they restrict photos is to prevent people from taking a picture of a particular design, and having some one else make a "knock off" so to speak. Frustrating yes, but I can see the necessity for it.

I personally did shop at Kleinfelds.....and you can get away with camera phones. lol. ;))

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
I agree that if a dress is hard to find, or a company has exclusive rights ect, I can understand why they would not want the dress photographed. But I think that is the exception and not the norm.

But, I found a very detailed front and back picture of my dress, and many of the other dresses I was considering on the designer's website. And I think most dresses are easy to find online these days. I was dress shopping alone in a state I had just moved to. It would have been nice to take a couple (non detail) pics to send to my friends for opinions. Plus, I think it is important to know how you photograph in the dress. You only wear the dress for one day, but the pictures last forever.

I just think with the age of the internet, the dress shops are not going to keep the details of those dresses secret.

OUpearlgirl

Ideal_Rock
One line that we carry has a "no picture" policy. At first we enforced it, but then we realized that was stupid and allow pictures.

I did have to ask a bride to put her camera away when she was shamelessly taking picures of veils, headpieces, etc and bragging to me about how she was going to make them herself.

Pictures can help a bride SO much. I think it's a stupid rule.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results