shape
carat
color
clarity

Government Overthrown by Military in Thailand

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
From, "The New York Times"

"Rumors of a coup swept Bangkok today as the Thai military blocked the area around Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra's office with tanks.

They ousted the Thai prime minister, Thaksin Shinawatra, while he was in New York for a meeting of the United Nations. Mr. Thaksin had appeared on Thai television to declare a state of emergency but was cut off in mid-speech.

The coup, led by the army’s chief, Gen. Sondhi Boonyaratkalin, also 'terminated' both houses of parliament, the cabinet and the constitutional court. General Sondhi was named acting prime minister.

Overnight, General Sondhi was shown on television in an audience with King Bhumibol Adulyadej, a clear indication that the revered constitutional monarch endorsed the move.

Late Tuesday night in Bangkok, tanks and armored personnel carriers rolled through heavy rain to block the entrance to the prime minister’s office, while other tanks took up positions at government offices and major intersections. Witnesses reported that roadblocks had been set up around Bangkok.

On a television station controlled by the military, a general in civilian clothes said that a 'council of administrative reform,' including the military and the police, had seized power in the name of the king.

Speaking for General Sondhi, who has publicly feuded with Mr. Thaksin, the spokesman said the military did not intend to rule the country and would “hand power back to the people.” He gave no timetable, however."

"The New York Times" webpage has a photo of tanks in the streets. It looks pretty frightening. It's clearly a military coup d'état overthrowing a civilian government. I wonder if it has been bloodless or bloody...whether the members of Parliament are alive or dead.

34.gif

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
By Thai standards, the coup seems very quiet. Apparently the timing of it (while the Prime Minister, Mr. Thaksin, was out of the country) was good in that it minimized violence. Apparently it had the tacit approval of the king, (not that by democratic standards that should matter), and apparently Mr. Thaksin was engaged in some corruption. That is not unheard of here in the US, either.

At any rate the Thais often have coups that are worse than this one as a mode of changing administrations.

34.gif

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
From what I've heard on NPR, the coup was bloodless and peaceful. Even the tourists mingled with the military, taking pictures. The Thai has never had a violent past, as far as I know, so this does not come as a surprise.

Sad as I am to say (I'm from around that area), the South East Asian region is full of corruption. I hope things will improve in Thailand.

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
I saw this on the AOL news reel; but, it garnered mearly a mention in the nightly news. I guess this is not too out of the ordinary - though I don''t know?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results