shape
carat
color
clarity

Got the ring, now I''m working on the proposal...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

sbb1979

Rough_Rock
Ok, so thanks to some help from those who look at the coloured stones thread, I''ve now collected the ring from the jeweller here in London.

You can see some photos of it (albeit with a bad camera and in yellow light) here: https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/help-me-with-the-engagement-ring.72907/page-2

I''m thinking of taking the GF out to a beautiful restaurant on Friday the 29th Feb and proposing there - however I''m in need of some ideas.

Its the night before we go away skiing with a load of friends, so I thought that it would be nice for us all to be able to celebrate whilst on holiday. I''ve booked the restaurant and was thinking that I''d just have our apartment looking nice for her when she gets home from work and maybe leave a note for her telling her to get ready to go out and saying that a car will be there to pick her up in an hour.

I''ll then meet her at the restaurant for dinner. I don''t want to get the waiter to bring it over to us or anything like that. Neither of us are really happy with making a big show of things either - although I''ve probably got more of an issue with this than her. I''d prefer to hand her the ring over the table rather than get down on one knee, but I know that this is not really the norm. Perhaps I could get down on one knee outside the restaurant and we can then walk in together?

The other option is I suppose to wait a few days and do it at the top of a mountain in the French Alpes. Has anybody been involved in a skiing proposal? At least that way there''d be plenty of people who could take a photo at the time.

Keepingthefaith21

Brilliant_Rock
What if you proposed to her at your apartment? Then the dinner could be in intimate way for the two of you to celebrate together and you can share the excitement with everyone over the weekend.

If you proposed in a place where you are comfortable, you could get down on one knee instead of handing the ring over the table to her and it would truly be a moment for just the two of you.

ETA: I saw the ring in the other forum and it's very beautiful!

door knob solitaire

Ideal_Rock
Wow what a planner you are!
36.gif
The ring and details are top notch! Great work! The plan to suprise her with the apartment decorated is really thoughtful. I like that idea! The car thing too! What fun for her!

You know one another best...so if your across the table thing suites you both than by all means do it.
2.gif

I am a true romantic at heart...and for me it just melts my heart to see or hear of a fella willing to drop to his knee...for just that moment that special facet of time you can NEVER recapture. It won''t work after you present the ring...just lost the oomph.

The before the restaurant is a good idea too, again if that was all your weekend/week had in store...I would say seize the moment.
2.gif

But wait...you mentioned the French Alps...eh hem...from an American who has never traveled aboard I am speechless. So please understand that when you mentioned that FOR ME...that hit the bulls-eye. It matters not that they are French or Swiss...but they are HOLY FREAKIN COW ALPS! Do you know how far I have to travel to get to ALPS? We''ve got a few hills...but I am sure we ain''t got no alps. Fruited plains...Purple Mountain Majesty...check...Alps...no. However if this is the sort of thing you look at often then I suppose the concrete sidewalk in front of the restaurant is more appropriate.

Hello...you still with me? There are many women who will support you in the do it first -get it over with and enjoy and share the moment and trip relaxed with friends...but once again I ask them to consider...ALPS. What are few days to make the moment, the view, the once in a lifetime POW factor? Where did he propose? eh...out side Louie''s restaurant on fifth...or across the table between the appetizer and main course...ON TOP OF THE FRENCH ALPS. You see it does sound pretty darn impressive.

I trust my case has been made...oh golly I so wish it has. I mean I really really really want the ALPS! In my pathetic little world, little life...can''t you give me just this one little teensy weensy little thing?

I say go forward with the apartment decor (scattered rose petals, roses, a rose, or flowers, a small plate with a special chocolate truffle, candle light, maybe a new bottle of perfume or some shower potions) leave a note saying how very excited you are about spending this holiday with her. Lets start the romance with a dinner at Louie''s...take the time to get ready...I have arranged a car to bring you to me at the restaurant...lets see what excitement this trip has in store for us...and let''s start tonight.

Yippee on top of the freakin French ALPS-(oh Mon Ami)... in case you didn''t catch that...The ALPS is my vote.
36.gif

sbb1979

Rough_Rock
Well, thanks DKS, I certainly know what your vote is. Its looking increasingly like that''s going to be the final answer anyway because the gf is doing everything in her power to destroy my plans for the secret dinner on the Friday night. She told me this morning that a friend of hers is coming to live in our apartment for the few days before we go on holiday and is then staying there whilst we''re away. She also said that she''s glad that we don''t have any plans for those evenings because she wants to spend time with this friend.

Therefore, I''m now thinking that it is going to be at some point over the following week in the mountains. As I don''t know this resort as well as others, I''m going to have to come up with a plan when we''re out there I think.

Any ideas would be very much appreciated.

Perhaps, I can take her down a different run to the others in our group, find a nice place on the mountain with a great view and ask her there. Then arrange for all of the others to be waiting for us in a mountain restaurant to celebrate afterwards. My brother knows about it and he''s coming with us, so I can get him to organise that part of it so I don''t need to tell them all beforehand.

Anyway, I do believe that one can over plan these things. Whatever happens, I''ll be sure to post some photos of the ring on her finger and the location.

door knob solitaire

Ideal_Rock
Agree...simple just natural...just happened works very well for we female types. So don''t fret.

At least you have a secret agent working with and for you...your brother may also help scout out spots or times for you. Or confirm what isn''t right. It is always great you have an knowing advocate to lean on. I bet you would feel better now, knowing exactly where and when to ease you mind from going in a million directions...but I truly believe it will fall into place for you.

I think she will love the dinner gathering plans. Allowing her to share her excitement with friends will make the event just perfect. Are there any travel images on where you will be going? I meant scenic images...not specifics of course. It would be fun to get an idea of the views...I have to live vicariously through posted adventures here...someone has to stay here for other posters! Just kidding.

Woo Hoo are you getting excited?

sbb1979

Rough_Rock
I really am getting very excited - can''t wait - and for once, its not the skiing that''s the most exciting bit - although that helps!

Anyway, a quick look on the internet and the place will look something like the attached picture - although I''m thinking that the top of the mountain is a better place than actually in the town. Anyway, I''m sure that the right place will stand out when I''m there.

Its going to be awful waiting for almost two weeks now that I''ve got the ring and decided where and when.....

ski.jpg

door knob solitaire

Ideal_Rock
Holy Cannoli! It is going to be breathtaking.
36.gif

You have two weeks...here is a suggestion. Contact the resort...ask for a local or a sky instructor...see what suggestions they may have for you. I don''t mean sky writing...or what ever...just what is there favorite vantage point or place that they find special. You never know they may reveal a secret spot you never would find on your own!

gwendolyn

Ideal_Rock
Be still my beating heart, a proposal at the top of a mountain in the Alps is an AMAZING proposal. I am so so so so so so so so so so so so glad you are going to do it there!! LOVE IT!!!!
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

tickintime

Rough_Rock
Date: 2/18/2008 12:38:44 PM
Author: door knob solitaire
Where did he propose? eh...out side Louie''s restaurant on fifth...or across the table between the appetizer and main course...ON TOP OF THE FRENCH ALPS. You see it does sound pretty darn impressive.

DKS, you are all over the place here. Did you think over the table was better or outside the restaurant?
9.gif
9.gif

Hmm, proposing in France! Now that is killer romantic. I would be executed if I tried that. I hear all the time how excessive I can be
31.gif
. (4 dozen roses for V--Day isn''t too much is it?) LOL but I digress.

You NEED to get that inside connection to find out your place before hand. Think about all that stress if you try to wing it. Coming up with what to say spur of the moment is one thing, scouring a mountain is a little different. I love the ALPS idea as well! Good luck.

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
The alps proposal will be amazing. I just know it....
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

choro72

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/18/2008 12:38:44 PM
Author: door knob solitaire
Wow what a planner you are!
36.gif
The ring and details are top notch! Great work! The plan to suprise her with the apartment decorated is really thoughtful. I like that idea! The car thing too! What fun for her!

You know one another best...so if your across the table thing suites you both than by all means do it.
2.gif

I am a true romantic at heart...and for me it just melts my heart to see or hear of a fella willing to drop to his knee...for just that moment that special facet of time you can NEVER recapture. It won''t work after you present the ring...just lost the oomph.

The before the restaurant is a good idea too, again if that was all your weekend/week had in store...I would say seize the moment.
2.gif

But wait...you mentioned the French Alps...eh hem...from an American who has never traveled aboard I am speechless. So please understand that when you mentioned that FOR ME...that hit the bulls-eye. It matters not that they are French or Swiss...but they are HOLY FREAKIN COW ALPS! Do you know how far I have to travel to get to ALPS? We''ve got a few hills...but I am sure we ain''t got no alps. Fruited plains...Purple Mountain Majesty...check...Alps...no. However if this is the sort of thing you look at often then I suppose the concrete sidewalk in front of the restaurant is more appropriate.

Hello...you still with me? There are many women who will support you in the do it first -get it over with and enjoy and share the moment and trip relaxed with friends...but once again I ask them to consider...ALPS. What are few days to make the moment, the view, the once in a lifetime POW factor? Where did he propose? eh...out side Louie''s restaurant on fifth...or across the table between the appetizer and main course...ON TOP OF THE FRENCH ALPS. You see it does sound pretty darn impressive.

I trust my case has been made...oh golly I so wish it has. I mean I really really really want the ALPS! In my pathetic little world, little life...can''t you give me just this one little teensy weensy little thing?

I say go forward with the apartment decor (scattered rose petals, roses, a rose, or flowers, a small plate with a special chocolate truffle, candle light, maybe a new bottle of perfume or some shower potions) leave a note saying how very excited you are about spending this holiday with her. Lets start the romance with a dinner at Louie''s...take the time to get ready...I have arranged a car to bring you to me at the restaurant...lets see what excitement this trip has in store for us...and let''s start tonight.

Yippee on top of the freakin French ALPS-(oh Mon Ami)... in case you didn''t catch that...The ALPS is my vote.
36.gif

Hahahah, DKL, you had me laughing so hard! I don''t know who is going to be more excited...The soon-to-be fiance or you!

sbb, I''m bumping this because I want you to remember to spill the details when you come back. Alps! Skiing! ALPS!!!!!! I should join DKL and wait while we drool!

sbb1979

Rough_Rock
Ok, I did it!!

And.........more importantly........she said "yes".

I''ll get the photos off the camera tonight, but just wanted to say thanks for everyone''s input and help throughout the process of choosing the ring (which she absolutely adores!) and deciding how to propose.

In the end, I took her off for a little private ski and the run was completely deserted, it was at the top of the mountain and there was not a cloud in the sky. I tried to get her to come over to me in a nice spot, but she took some persuading because there was quite a steep slope nearby. Eventually when she did come over, I tried to get on one knee, but had my skis attached, so ended up falling over (how very smooth!).

Anyway, she''d been hoping that it would be soon, but had thought that it would be in the Lake District when we go there next week, or in Australia when we go to see her family in May - therefore she was completely surprised and delighted. We celebrated with all of our friends in the resort that evening and had a great trip overall.

So, once again - thanks to all those who helped. I''ll get photos on here tomorrow.

SB

choro72

Brilliant_Rock
Wwweeeeee! I''ve been thinking about your Alps proposal!
36.gif
36.gif
Congratulations!

I can''t believe you even ATTEMPTED to get down on one knee with your skis on...Can''t wait for pictures!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results