shape
carat
color
clarity

Got the Kindle!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
So far I''m really liking it. It is a LOT thinner and smaller than I expected - which is great (if only my case for it would get here - I''m worried about dropping or scratching it!). The text is remarkably easy to read - the e-ink really is great. I''ve adjusted the text size to get more text per page (the screen is a bit small). The only thing that bothers me a bit is that even though the pages "turn" pretty quickly, it''s still a little slow (compared to manually flipping a paper page). But overall I''m really happy with it - and thrilled that I have about 160 books in that one little device right now, with plenty of room for more.

Anyone else get theirs this week? Reviews? Thoughts?

anyname

Shiny_Rock
YAY! I don''t have one, but they seem so neat. Did you get the version that was just released? Do you have to have internet connection to download the books or newspaper? Can you do crossword puzzles on them?

Miranda

Ideal_Rock
I''m so glad you started this! My son really wants one. He has a ton of Amazon gift cards so he would get that rather than the Sony version.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh photos! Handshots! hehehe.

I''m going to wait for reviews, etc. Might even wait for 3.0...

But I love the concept.

purrfectpear

Ideal_Rock
While I certainly don''t encourage anyone to drop theirs, I can tell you that I''ve dropped mine from counter height onto a linoleum floor and it survived just fine.
1.gif

dec2410

Shiny_Rock
ooooo!! my bf was really close to buying me the original kindle for my bday a few months ago, but we heard about the kindle 2 and decided to wait. how do you like it? is it easy to read in the sun? my only reservation is the cost...its soooo $$!

Poppy77

Rough_Rock
I ordered the K2 and it''ll be here day after tomorrow... I''m totally curious about if I''ll like it or not; I worry about missing the "book" experience, and if the screen is too small so you''ll be flicking pages all the time.

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/24/2009 9:30:05 PM
Author: popcorn
YAY! I don''t have one, but they seem so neat. Did you get the version that was just released? Do you have to have internet connection to download the books or newspaper? Can you do crossword puzzles on them?

I did - it''s really awesome! I didn''t expect it to be so light - I''m so scared of scratching it lol. I have the internet connection but I haven''t used it yet since I downloaded a bunch of books using my computer (before the Kindle arrived - it was cool since it arrived pre-loaded with the books I had ordered the day before). I need to try downloading a newspaper - it would be awesome if I could do crosswords (I''m not sure yet if I can but it has a keyboard so I assume yes?)

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/24/2009 10:46:11 PM
Author: Miranda
I''m so glad you started this! My son really wants one. He has a ton of Amazon gift cards so he would get that rather than the Sony version.

I totally recommend it. I was really tempted by the Sony e-reader (the older one, the 505 - I''m not big on touchscreens for something like this - fingerprints drive me insane on my phone, I don''t think I could handle it on my e-reader). Unfortunately I have a mac (so Sony is out) and I think the book selection on Amazon is much better right now. If he has gift cards, I''d totally go with the Kindle.
1.gif

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/24/2009 11:01:49 PM
Author: TravelingGal
Oh photos! Handshots! hehehe.

I''m going to wait for reviews, etc. Might even wait for 3.0...

But I love the concept.

Hehe I''ll try soon! Maybe when I get the nice case that''s supposed to protect it
3.gif
I do hope they make the design a little prettier for 3.0. It''s fine now - very clean and streamlined, esp compared to pictures of Kindle 1.0. But the Sony one (and the Fujitsu, and the proposed Plastic Logic one) are so much more modern-looking (I''m shallow and care about aesthetics
2.gif
)

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/25/2009 10:14:39 AM
Author: purrfectpear
While I certainly don''t encourage anyone to drop theirs, I can tell you that I''ve dropped mine from counter height onto a linoleum floor and it survived just fine.
1.gif

Ooh I''m glad you mentioned that Purrfectpear! You definitely eased my mind a bit - I''m still in "new gadget, babying" mode so I''m a little overly paranoid about the Kindle''s safety, lol.

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/25/2009 12:07:34 PM
Author: waitingpatiently
ooooo!! my bf was really close to buying me the original kindle for my bday a few months ago, but we heard about the kindle 2 and decided to wait. how do you like it? is it easy to read in the sun? my only reservation is the cost...its soooo $$!

I like it a lot! I''ve been using it off and on today, including on the bus, and it''s great. Very light, portable, and easy to read. The sun is a bit difficult but it''s more like the effect of sun on a regular page. It is expensive though! But the convenience is incredible - I love "lugging" over a hundred books for me. And I''m so glad I''ll have it before a loooong plane ride coming up in March. Buying books IS like buying crack though
3.gif
It''s really easy and just knowing that I don''t have to worry about carrying all of it around, etc. is really nice.

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/25/2009 7:17:49 PM
Author: Poppy77
I ordered the K2 and it''ll be here day after tomorrow... I''m totally curious about if I''ll like it or not; I worry about missing the ''book'' experience, and if the screen is too small so you''ll be flicking pages all the time.

Yeah on the last, I''m a fairly quick reader so having one page (not two pages side by side) is a bit annoying. I have the text on the smallest size to get the most onto one page, so that is one not so good thing. But it''s not too bad.

Please come back and let us know how you like yours!

LGK

Ideal_Rock
My Kindle 2 came today. So far on the whole I really like it. The wireless signal is AMAZING! The area I will use it most in (small town) has terrible cell service normally, so to see 5 bars on the Kindle just about killed me of shock. (My Verizon cell gets one or none, which is typical of most providers here.) So, being able to download a book in an instant was surprising... and very cool. I love the display. Wow! So cool. No eyestrain, the refresh thing it does is fast and doesn''t irritate me, and it displays illustrations actually pretty well- I downloaded Neil Gaiman''s Graveyard Book first, which is illustrated, and the illustrations were actually nicely rendered on the Kindle. The general idea is very cool. The internet browser is a bit pointless, which is fine; my cell has a full browser, I don''t need every electronic gadget in the universe to be internet compatible. I''m curious to try the feature where the Kindle reads to you; that sounds pretty darn amazing too, though I don''t know that I''ll use it much. The dictionary feature is a nice idea too, but again, not sure how much I''ll practically use it. The page turn buttons are very well placed, your thumbs rest perfectly on them on either side. Essentially it does what it''s supposed to very, very well, and I love that it is independant of a computer. I have cursed my iPod endlessly for how impossible it is to swap between the various laptops I own. I detest that it is basically "married" to one computer only, and the fact that the Kindle isn''t that way is soooo great.

The setup (what set up?) was idiot proof. You turn it on. It''s ready to go. That''s it. It''s pre-set to your amazon account, it''s precharged, it''s very very user friendly. The only thing it took me a second to figure out was the backspace key on the keyboard (DEL, which I should have realized quicker). Very intuitive interface.

What I don''t like, most especially, is the color. I will frequently use it when I''m making mineral makeup, which is messy (duh) and already it''s all smudgy and sparkly from doing that. Black rather than white would have been sooooo much nicer. I am NOT white-thing friendly; I ruin white clothes in a matter of minutes, and my Kindle''s going to be filthy pretty fast too.

I wish the text was able to go smaller too. I can see very well close up, and would prefer to have more, smaller text on the screen. Still, I suspect I''m in the minority here.

It also seems like there''s an odd screen-to-plastic ratio going on- I suspect it''s because it *has* to be that way, but it will be nice when they''re able to make a larger screen and leave less blank white plastic around it (and around the keyboard especially- that''s a LOT of blank plastic space there!)

It was a bit expensive. I''m glad it went down a bit, but it was still pricier than my spiffy new cellphone by quite a bit, for example.

I have found it quite easy to forget you''re reading a Kindle which is what I was hoping- you focus on the book, not the slightly small screen or the ugly white plastic, which is kinda the point. So, the quibbles I have with it are pretty small really... they don''t detract from the use of it much, IMHO.

So far, all-in-all, I''d say it''s been great. And will be about as pricey as a medium size drug habit, I expect.

Poppy77

Rough_Rock
Got it a day early, which was cool. So far: I like it a lot. It does kind of "disappear"- you feel like you''re reading a book, the format doesn''t make much difference. I found the page flipping fine, not distracting, even with the need to do it a bit more often than a paper book.

I did have a painful realization this evening though. It''s super nasty cold outside tonight, and all I wanted to do was to take a hot bubble bath and read in it until I thawed out. Sure can''t do that with a Kindle, though! While it''s not a CRITICAL use, I will miss that and it will be a bit irritating to have to swap books back and forth like that.

The biggest gripe I have is how easy it is to click on a book and buy it when you don''t mean to. The not-firm clicking button combined with the page loading lag time makes it really, really easy to accidentally buy something on accident. Like, you aren''t sure you actually clicked the button (it is kind of mooshy feeling) and nothing''s happening, no page is loading, so you click again. Oops. You''d already clicked actually, and now you bought some book you didn''t want. And then the "cancel" button then is too slow to actually cancel (or the download is too fast, whichever way you want to look at it). That was irritating. And cost me $7 so far. I suppose I could call the phone number that pops up when the cancel button fails, but I''m not likely to bother.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/27/2009 2:14:20 AM
Got it a day early, which was cool. So far: I like it a lot. It does kind of ''disappear''- you feel like you''re reading a book, the format doesn''t make much difference. I found the page flipping fine, not distracting, even with the need to do it a bit more often than a paper book.

I did have a painful realization this evening though. It''s super nasty cold outside tonight, and all I wanted to do was to take a hot bubble bath and read in it until I thawed out. Sure can''t do that with a Kindle, though! While it''s not a CRITICAL use, I will miss that and it will be a bit irritating to have to swap books back and forth like that.

The biggest gripe I have is how easy it is to click on a book and buy it when you don''t mean to. The not-firm clicking button combined with the page loading lag time makes it really, really easy to accidentally buy something on accident. Like, you aren''t sure you actually clicked the button (it is kind of mooshy feeling) and nothing''s happening, no page is loading, so you click again. Oops. You''d already clicked actually, and now you bought some book you didn''t want. And then the ''cancel'' button then is too slow to actually cancel (or the download is too fast, whichever way you want to look at it). That was irritating. And cost me $7 so far. I suppose I could call the phone number that pops up when the cancel button fails, but I''m not likely to bother.
I''ve read that some people actually put it in a ziplock bag to take to the tub. Not sure I would be so gutsy though!!

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/27/2009 2:43:29 AM
Author: TravelingGal

Date: 2/27/2009 2:14:20 AM
Got it a day early, which was cool. So far: I like it a lot. It does kind of ''disappear''- you feel like you''re reading a book, the format doesn''t make much difference. I found the page flipping fine, not distracting, even with the need to do it a bit more often than a paper book.

The biggest gripe I have is how easy it is to click on a book and buy it when you don''t mean to. The not-firm clicking button combined with the page loading lag time makes it really, really easy to accidentally buy something on accident. Like, you aren''t sure you actually clicked the button (it is kind of mooshy feeling) and nothing''s happening, no page is loading, so you click again. Oops. You''d already clicked actually, and now you bought some book you didn''t want. And then the ''cancel'' button then is too slow to actually cancel (or the download is too fast, whichever way you want to look at it). That was irritating. And cost me $7 so far. I suppose I could call the phone number that pops up when the cancel button fails, but I''m not likely to bother.
I''ve read that some people actually put it in a ziplock bag to take to the tub. Not sure I would be so gutsy though!!
This may be the only reason I won''t get a kindle, LOL. I read in the bath all the time!

purrfectpear

Ideal_Rock
I''m a ziplock bathtime reader
35.gif

Poppy77

Rough_Rock
Date: 2/27/2009 12:58:16 PM
Author: purrfectpear
I''m a ziplock bathtime reader
35.gif
I didn''t even think of that; I guess to me ziploc bags are the size of sandwiches! I''ll definitely get some big ones and try it... maybe with two, I''d feel safe. I''ve soaked a goooooood number of books over the years, that''s for sure. My kitties like to play in the bathroom when I bathe, and one is a fan of playing paw-hockey with anything including books. He is fast too! The Kindle''s smell has been intriguing him too, he''s been snuzzling at it since I got it... I could definitely see him pushing it into the bath for fun if I set it on the tub ledge.

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Has anyone been getting reactions to it? I''ve been reading mine on the bus when I go downtown and I''ve had strangers ask me about it. Not to mention classmates. They''re all really curious about it
3.gif

I just really want my case to arrive - it''s so thin that I''m still paranoid about breaking it

LGK

Ideal_Rock
I was happy that iStyles has K2 skins! I looove the one I got for my LG Dare; it''s held up exceptionally well to my not-so-careful handling over several months and is very cute. So I was very pleased to see that they have a great selection already of K2 skins. I am totally thrilled to be able to turn my blah white K2 into a spiffy black one (I got the "Lost Souls" design). And to protect it without adding bulk, and for $15.

I might shell out the $30 or whatever it is for the Amazon cover sometime, but I don''t need it padded really, nor do I want a lot of extra bulk- I just want something to keep it from getting too worn/scratched when I stick it in my purse particularly, so a skin is absolutely perfect for me.

And BEG, I haven''t had anyone notice it. I haven''t used it in public much at all though. Just for a few minutes at work one morning, but since it was flat on a cart well behind a desk, I doubt anyone could see it.

The more I use it the better I like it. I also discovered two particularly awesome uses. First, I haven''t been able to read when I work on my mineral makeup at all before, because my hands would be totally occupied so I couldn''t hold a book open. But, the Kindle I can set next to me, and make my samples by touch (which you do anyway, pretty much... after making tens of thousands, I don''t need to look at what I''m doing!) That''s been wonderful. Second, it''s so much better than a book on the treadmill. Again, it doesn''t need holding open so it''s much easier than paper books.

redfaerythinker

Brilliant_Rock
I just ordered my kindle and an istyle skin! The kindle should be here on Wednesday! I''m almost twitching from the excitement!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results