shape
carat
color
clarity

Goofy question... would you want an odd number of glasses?

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you knew my (granted - wonderful!) husband, you wouldn't think offering glass collections in odd numbers was at all silly.

I'd definitely be a buyer for these.

ETA. I also have a number of single friends, or friends with odd numbers of off spring, or....you get the general idea. Not all dinner parties are even numbers.

And how do I find your Etsy store?? I collect china, so this is right up my alley!

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
OK -- sorry about ducking out. Sometimes my work gets in the way of my fun, LOL! And let me point out that I realized I missed an opportunity to title this thread "Odd question... would you want an uneven number of glasses?" Damn, I hate it when I miss a good pun! But back to the topic at hand.

VR, I love silver too! I've picked up two trays lately at estate sales to use as props for my photos and they are just lovely. If you were inclined to post any pics I'd be very interested in seeing your collection.

Rhea, let's hope you never break one of the glasses, but good to know your sister is standing by with a plan, haha!

Kenny, how interesting; I had never thought of this in terms of a cultural thing. Hm. I've shipped now to Canada, Australia and Russia, but never Japan. I will definitely pay attention now though in case I do get any orders going there!

Yada, I will have to put in my note (because I include a little message with every box) that I added the extra one on purpose so people don't think I just can't count!

Thanks Diamondgirl, it's going really well -- much more so than I'd imagined in the beginning. In the first thread were I was asking about starting at Etsy store someone mentioned a family member (a sister or SIL I think... ?) who had a store and hadn't made a sale for months, so I was super nervous about doing this.

Lala and DK, I see the consensus is leaning toward including the extra. I would have not guessed that to be the case when I started this thread!

123, "Party Sets" -- I love that phrase! That's what I should call them instead of "Mixed Sets" because it sounds so much more festive!

Stormy, I think you're right!

Mamabear, I was truly surprised at the popularity of those three sets!

Austina, I bet you're spot-on; if I said I had 5 instead of 4 of something I imagine now that people would just take them all.

Mrs-B, I agree, not all dinner parties (or other gatherings) are even numbers!

Also VR and Mrs-B, please don't think I'm ignoring your question but I don't want to post my store lest this seem like an "advertisement," which was definitely not my intention. I was just hoping for some good advice from my PSers -- and I'm getting it! That's what I love about this place; you people know everything!

If anyone has other thoughts or opinions I'd welcome them!!!

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
I swear, this silly question is keeping me up at night, LOL!

My Etsy store is going great (thank you PSers for all your input when I was thinking of doing this!), but I have a stupid dilemma. Because the stuff I sell is vintage I often come across 3, 5, 7 of things. I don't list in odd numbers (although sometimes I do mention if I have an "extra" of something special, like a named maker of a special glass, if a buyer wants it), but I'm going to be left with an ungodly number of one-offs if I don't figure out what to do with all these leftovers! Like yesterday, I got a set of 5 wine glasses and a set of 7 crystal coups. So.. 4 and 6...? Or should I actually do 5 and 7? My thinking is that if something breaks in shipping at least I have another one I could send to someone, but then again, maybe someone would want an extra in case THEY break one at some point? And frankly I'm not going to charge any more for the extra one.

One other thought is to offer one-offs, extras, "oddballs" in case someone is looking for something specific and only needs one. But what are the chances of having that single glass someone wants to replace from the set they inherited from grandma... ???

Anyway, I realize this is kind of a ridiculous thing to be asking, but if anyone has an opinion I'd love to hear it!

I totally get this
i recently unpacked some of mum and dad's stuff and there was a willow pattern dinner set i had bought them (because dad always liked the pattern and mum didn't;)2 ) and its a complete set of 5:-o
what was i thinking:doh:
Was i going to buy a 6th place setting but ran out if money before xmas ?
or as its still sold as a 4 place setting did i buy a spair setting incase of breakable?

5 is serously annoying my brain:angryfire: and ive been busy buying the 6th setting ever since
- although the coffee mugs (it has 5 coffee mugs and 5 cups & saucers) have now changed shape:angryfire:
Ahhhhhh !

I would list those single glasses
Someone like me is out there trying to make 6's out of everything !!!

Glad to hear your store is going well

Last edited:

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have a ton of sets of dishes, glassware, and flatware. I am way too OCD to ever buy a set with an odd number. But there have been numerous times I have tried to complete a set.

Goodness me too !
A set of 3 just gives me the willies:lol:
I'd have to buy 2 sets :lol:

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Two odd lots equal an even lot! Maybe someone enjoys having different patterns out on a table for larger gatherings. It’s less formal and can be rather eye catching!
Lilke those cafes and restaurants that have ill matched tables and chairs
Oh no
I can't even look in the window :lol:
side-eye-2-1.jpg

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Personally, I don't care if sets I buy are numbered odd or even, whether new or used.

Also I'm baffled at the demonstrated level of passion for an even number. :rolleyes:

So are only an even number of children allowed in your family?
Guest must be an even number?
What if an odd number of people show up to church? Does the last arrival have to wait outside praying that 1, 3, 5, 7, etc, congregant(s) arrives?
Do you count the number of tables in restaurants you frequent?
Do you run out screaming if you count 23?

Is this some odd superstition I've never heard of?
Might it be explained by the the negative associations with the word, "odd", as in not-normal?

But turning a lemon into lemonade by marketing the despised and offending glass to the unwashed masses as an "extra for breakage" is brilliant! :clap:

Last edited:

donnabrsd

Brilliant_Rock
@Dee*Jay I prefer to purchase stemware in even sets. I know for sure it would sway me away if there was a set of 3, 5 or 7. But, if I was to purchase 4 and received a bonus one, I'd be super happy!

With other things, I am completely different; especially with any type of serving item (tongs, ladles, platters, etc.) which I prefer to purchase in odd numbers.

GliderPoss

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It wouldn't bother me, in some cases I've actually found the matching one later on! In worst case you have a set of 4 plus one spare in case it breaks. :bigsmile:

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
I hate most with a set of two and one breaks and i really loved that glass

what am i going to do with one ?

I can't make into into a cat glass like i can a solitary pudding plate or a side plate into a cat bowl

I mean i should just chuck it out but it is too pretty

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Daisys, I have a SLEW of onsies, and I drink out of them every day! If you have a pretty glass that you love and it becomes a singleton it deserves to be used and loved even more!

Donna, how interesting that you prefer glasses in even numbers and other things in odd numbers!

Glider, so it sounds like you would be a candidate for the "one off" market! I keep toying with the idea of listing that options... I really need to just do it!

So are only an even number of children allowed in your family?

Kenny, just to be clear, I'm only asking about some glassware preferences here, not trying to institute a new global family policy! :lol:

(You know I'm just kidding around with you! :cheeky:)

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Im funny with numbers
im not keen on 4 or 8
i would never eat 4 of anything
Im.not that keen on 4 piece settings

not that ive ever wanted kids i don't think i could have had 4 ....

I always give Borris 5 or 7 cat lollies/ temptations
Never ever 4 or 8 kisses
The other day i gave her 12 kisses - because that is 5 plus 7

she wasnt overly impressed and had a good shake afterwards

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Kenny, just to be clear, I'm only asking about some glassware preferences here, not trying to institute a new global family policy! :lol:

(You know I'm just kidding around with you! :cheeky:)

Aw, DJ.
You know I just love your guts. :love:

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Me, I’d either sell as 4 glasses plus 1 or 6 glasses plus 1 or alternatively because young trendies like to be trendy, I’d make up sets of mismatched glasses (same type of glass ie wine glass but just not matching) of 4 or 6 as well.
And don’t be afraid to sell a single glass, if that’s all you have. Sell with other uses in mind, like filling with pot pourri or multicolour glass beads to sit on a window sill, if coloured glass, perhaps a small tea light inside.
beautiful glasses are beautiful.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
I like @Bron357 's ideas about using single glases for other uses

also mixed sets - i think @Dee*Jay did you yourself call them party sets ?

Of course i could never buy a mixed set .... :lol:
But a party set sounds lots of fun :appl:

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Bron, the coordinated but not matching sets of glasses are the ones that surprised me by selling to quickly a few weeks ago. I think you're on to somehing!

Daisys, 123Ducklings gets all the credit for "party sets" -- a phrase I love and plan to use, ha ha!

Kenny, for some reason your "guts" comment made me think of something that happened mannnnny moons ago. I was engaged (don't ask...) and the young man went to my father and said he'd like to ask for my hand. My dad said he thought there were probably other parts of me that might be more fun, but if it's my hand he wanted, so be it! This all sounds a bit horrible and tawdry now that I type it out, but just trust me, it was all said in good humor and with maybe more than a little shock effect in mind (my dad delighted in shaking up the young men who filtered through my life!).

MrsBlue

Brilliant_Rock
Buy 4/6/8 get 1 free!

Baker's dozen!

Singles can be GWP or party sets as mentioned. Or paired up for unconventional wedding gifts.

A mixed set of china can be a Mad Hatter tea or dinner party set.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
DJ, LOL. :mrgreen:

So did your dad amputate one of your hands and give it to the guy?

Piper70

Shiny_Rock
I would absolutely buy odd number of glasses. I tend to throw large cocktail parties rather than seated dinner parties and mix and match vintage glasses and plates.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

If I loved something I wouldn't be deterred by an odd number. I like non matchy stuff and given I break glasses every other week , I always odds and sods here!

cheers--Sharon

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Buy 4/6/8 get 1 free!

Baker's dozen!

Singles can be GWP or party sets as mentioned. Or paired up for unconventional wedding gifts.

A mixed set of china can be a Mad Hatter tea or dinner party set.

I kind of like those Mad Hatter tea sets
@mellowyellowgirl has a rose themed one (come to thinl of it so do i)
@Dee*Jay this thread needs pictures

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dee Jay, lots of great ideas here. I wouldn’t care if a set was odd or even number. I generally like to buy an extra piece or two in case something gets broke. I also think it’s fine to make up sets with nothing but unique glasses in it, I think many people like that kind of variety. I’m so glad your site is doing well and you are having fun with it.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
If you knew my (granted - wonderful!) husband, you wouldn't think offering glass collections in odd numbers was at all silly.

I'd definitely be a buyer for these.

ETA. I also have a number of single friends, or friends with odd numbers of off spring, or....you get the general idea. Not all dinner parties are even numbers.

And how do I find your Etsy store?? I collect china, so this is right up my alley!

Me too! I would love to see what you have!

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
@VRBeauty - someone was kind enough to send me the link to @Dee*Jay's store, so if you're still looking for it - or if anyone is looking for it - pls contact me via my LT contact info and I'll pass it along!

I love glassware!
mrs-b I couldn’t find it..I’m going to message you on IG..

Last edited:

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you Mrs-B! And thank you also to the person who passed along the link!

If anyone would like to say hi feel free to reach out as I can get messages through the site.

Mrs. Blue, Piper and Sharon, I appreciate the input!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results