shape
carat
color
clarity

Good deal?

ElleElle

Shiny_Rock
An NY jeweler is asking $4k for 1.5 tcw G VS, no cert emerald studs which includes 14k settings.
It would be an online order as I’m in CA.
photo is a screenshot of a video. I asked for more photos. Thanks! 45D08D94-774D-4466-B779-8EFE44E81E1F.jpeg

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So they are .75 each. Where are the carts? Can you please post them?

ElleElle

Shiny_Rock
Yes .75 each and no certs

I would ask the jeweler to also provide you the weight of the 14k setting, so you can break down the price as follows:

- diamond cost
- gold cost
- labor cost.

Subtract the cost of the gold by multiplying the total weight of the setting by 0.583 and multiplying that by spot gold price. If he gives you the weight of the earrings without specifying the weight of the setting itself, the diamonds should weigh around 0.3g in total (1.5ctw x 0.2g).

Next, ask the jeweler for the dimensions of the stones in mm and enter them into diamdb to see whether they face up the right size for the weight, also to see if the lxw ratio is the same for both. You don’t want mismatched stones or to pay for weight you can’t see.

To estimate if the cost of the diamonds is okay, I would assume that the stones are closer to IJ SI if the jeweler is saying G VS. So I would look up the price of GIA certed IJ SI stones of the same ctw to see how comparable they are, or if you want to be more conservative then look at KL I1-I2 stones and see what the price is of those. Subtract that cost also from the quote that you have and you have the labor cost, which you will have to take a judgment call on. Perhaps getting quotes from jewelers on how much they would charge for a similar setting in your area will give you an idea of what is an acceptable labor cost.

Also find out what is the return policy etc. so in case things don’t work out you can return them.

Snowdrop13

Ideal_Rock
Premium
A very quick look on Bluenile tells me that a 0.75ct emerald cut of these specs is at least $2000 so I’m guessing these ones are not likely to be G VS.

headlight

Ideal_Rock
Definitely need more photos. From that one I suspect they may not be Gs.
What made you want to get studs in emerald cut?

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
They don’t look like “G” colour in the photo.
Its a problem without a Certificate. Who exactly has graded them as being “G” and “VS” ? The vendor? Colour and clarity have a huge impact on price.

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
My two cents: I would keep looking. Without a certification from one of the trusted labs, you really don't have any way of knowing for sure what you've got. To me, that's too much unknown for that much money and there are endless diamond pairs online to choose from.

Also, you haven't said the name of the jeweler but I'd stick to one of the recommended jewelers on here or one I already trusted personally for a $4,000 online purchase.

Finally, for studs, I would get a shape like round or princess where all sides are the same length. I don't like how elongated ones go wonky on the ears. That's more a personal preference but just wanted to mention it. Good luck!

Last edited:

ElleElle

Shiny_Rock
Thank you all so much for your feedback.
Can you please list who the preferred jewelers are from this group?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results