shape
carat
color
clarity

Good books for chilly nights!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here''s a new book thread for fall...we brought up a few goodies on the workout thread and I thought I''d start a new book thread over here in Hangout.

I just finished The Memory Keeper''s Daughter by Kim Edwards...well-written and thought-provoking. Next on my list is Water For Elephants. I''m also in the middle of Mirror, Mirror by Gregory Macguire, after having read Wicked this spring. It''s interesting, to say the least.

Ellaila, tell me again the author of Before Kindness?

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
I just finished The Memory Keepers Daughter also and thought it was well written and extremely interesting.

I am now reading Beloved by Toni Morrison for the second time. Good books are like good friends, fun to visit again and again.

I also recently red The Ha-Ha by David King. It was a page turner! A very endearing story, the characters draw you in and make you love them, as flawed as they all are.

If you haven''t read Middlesex by Jeffrey Eugenides I highly recommend it as well. It''s truly phenomenal.

I read Wicked and loved it but couldn''t finish another book I purchased by him. It never caught my interest. I can''t remember the name of it but it''s about a journalist who travels to England.

tdiddy

Shiny_Rock
I also just finished The Memory Keeper''s Daughter - fantastic read.

Currently reading Jodi Picoult''s My Sister''s Keeper for the 2nd time. This is by far my favorite book by her but I love all of hers that I have read. I can''t put her books down!

I just got Jennifer Weiner''s new book of short stories for my birthday and will start on that next. She''s always good for a fun read and this is her first book of short stories so I can''t wait to check those out.

Also recently read Jon Krakauer''s non-fiction book Into Thin Air about the Mt. Everest disaster and this was a very compelling read. I highly recommend it.

tiffanytwisted

Brilliant_Rock
I just finished A Wedding in December by Anita Shreve. She is one of my favorite authors.

Fancy605

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 10/28/2006 10:37:04 AM
Author: tiffanytwisted
I just finished A Wedding in December by Anita Shreve. She is one of my favorite authors.

That''s what I am reading right now.

I suggest Fall on Your Knees my Ann-Marie MacDonald.
It isn''t a feel good book by any means, but MAN her writing style is captivating.

Christa

Brilliant_Rock
I love Anita Sheve! I haven''t read that one, though . . . heading off to the library site to look it up.
5.gif

diane5006

Brilliant_Rock
I liked Fall On Your Knees - by Ann-Marie MacDonald too...but I loved her other book The Way The Crow Flies ...It was sooo good...I couldn''t put it down...I read it first and then went out and got Fall on Your Knees...which is good, but not as in my opinion

I like to re-read books as well...some of my all time favorites...my comfort food of books...are

A Prayer for Owen Meany - by John Irving...in my opinion his best work...I have read it at least ten times and still love it

and

Accidental Tourist by Anne Tyler

as well as many others...I need to get to work unpacking my books

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/27/2006 11:27:22 PM
Author: tdiddy
Currently reading Jodi Picoult''s My Sister''s Keeper for the 2nd time. This is by far my favorite book by her but I love all of hers that I have read. I can''t put her books down!
This is a good read for anyone. I second the recommendation!

Also, EVERY dog lover must read "Marley & Me". It will make you laugh outloud and weep deep tears. It''s a quick read.

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/28/2006 2:20:03 PM
Author: diane5006
I liked Fall On Your Knees - by Ann-Marie MacDonald too...but I loved her other book The Way The Crow Flies ...It was sooo good...I couldn''t put it down...I read it first and then went out and got Fall on Your Knees...which is good, but not as in my opinion

I like to re-read books as well...some of my all time favorites...my comfort food of books...are

A Prayer for Owen Meany - by John Irving...in my opinion his best work...I have read it at least ten times and still love it

and

Accidental Tourist by Anne Tyler

as well as many others...I need to get to work unpacking my books
John Irving is my favorite author. He writes consistently interesting and though provoking books.

I also just finished Bonfire of the Vanities by Tom Wolfe. Wow, what an amazing book. Such a great depiction of the shades of grey amongst which we all live.

Housekeeping by Marilyn Robinson is another great read as is Larry''s Party by Carol Shields.

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
I love Tom wolfe, John Irving...

I also LOVE Susan Isaacs (fiction, awesome and funny and readable) and Bill Bryson is great too. Writes sort of humorous travel/look at life and culture books. I literally was laughing out loud on a plane while reading his, he is just witty and wry/

Someone told me a book called Special Topics in Calamity Physics, by a female first time writer, is also great.

I love Evergreen by Belva Plain and The Prince of Tides by Pat Conroy. They are two of my all time favorites. I love reading with a cup of tea and the fire on, my middle son loves to sit in the same room with hot chocolate and read with me, I am so glad he has my love of books.

ellaila

Brilliant_Rock
Ellaila, tell me again the author of Before Kindness?
Yep, it's Chris Bohjalian. It's a sort of strange plotline, but that's what makes it cool -- I just sat there like "Where did he come up with this?!" And I just loved the detail he went into in this book. He really delves into each character and their individual nuances, and it was so interesting!

Also, read MK's Daughter recently, and though I thought it was well-researched and thought-provoking, something about it threw me off.

I read Wicked last year and though I loved the idea of it, I just didn't like the book itself. Really wanted to see the musical though b/c I was so curious how they'd bring that to life!

I'm going to have to check out some of these books listed -- yay!!!

All-time favorite book is A Tree Grows in Brooklyn (must have read this 20 times, starting when I was about 10 years old and still do read it!!). I'm sure it's different if you read it for the first time as a grown-up, but I just adore this book!
1.gif

Fancy605

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 10/28/2006 2:20:03 PM
Author: diane5006

Oh yes, I enjoyed The Way the Crow Flies as well. I actually can''t decide which one I liked better. They were both so good and hard to put down!

To add to the John Irving Suggestions, A Widdow for One Year is pretty interesting.

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
I spent yesterday curled up, refusing to shower until i finished reading On Beauty by Zadie Smith. It isn''t chilly here (84 degrees yesterday), but I still had a blanket on, does it still count as a good fall/winter read?
2.gif

ellaila

Brilliant_Rock
I was ordering something from Amazon the other day (by the way, they sell heated seats that plug into your car lighter thingie. Who knew!? And just $18...whoo hooo!! But I digress) so I ordered Fall on Your Knees based on your recommendations. Looking forward to it (and my heated seat!)
1.gif

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ok, I was just at the drugstore the other night desperately searching for something to read as I had finished everything I had at home, and after a lot of "yuck, no way," I found Sex in the City! I know it''s been in print forever, but I had never actually read the book! OMG, it''s so cute! I''ve seen most every episode in the last few years, but reading it is just a little different, if you''re a fan of the show. Just thought I''d throw it out there....

34.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results