shape
carat
color
clarity

Good Bay Area hair salon with reasonable prices?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have not been able to find a good place to get my hair cut in the Bay Area. Yesterday, I tried a new person, and I don''t like the way my hair turned out. This is about the third new person I''ve tried. I can''t imagine that it should be so hard to find a good place to get hair cut from shoulder length to chin length and then layered nicely all the way around. Any Bay Area people know of good places? I''m looking to pay no more than $20.

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
WOW - if ya find one, let me know!!! I haven''t paid that little for a haircut since 1992.
23.gif
2.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Well, i pay about $55 for my haircuts and its more like $175 with my highlights and all that when all is said and done.
40.gif

Greg pays about $25 to get his hair cut with a gal in San Mateo, not sure where you are located Kim. But they are on 24th Street in SM I think. Typically, I know of $40-55 haircuts but nothing around $20 other than Greg''s boy cut.

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
Edo on haight and fillmore.

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
Ooops it''s more like $35. There is always Americuts near West Portal it''s $15.00. There was a woman there called Lita who was a pretty good stylist.

swingirl

Ideal_Rock
I''m afraid $20 will get you a barber shop buzz cut but not much else round the Bay Area. $35-$55 is the norm.

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
By the way both places I mentioned are in San Francisco.

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
My place charges anywhere between $45-100 for a cut depending on the stylist...

MrsFrk

Brilliant_Rock
It takes a lot of time and practice to cut hair properly, and the Bay Area has a very high cost of living.
I think 20 dollars for a good haircut is an unreasonable expectation. You may find some gem through sheer luck, but I don''t think it likely.

portoar

Brilliant_Rock
I agree, I''m not in the bay area anymore, but even here in San Diego where the cost of living is slightly lower, I wouldn''t expect to find a decent stylist for under $40. You can certainly get a bad stylist for a lot of money, but good stylists take training and experience. You''re not likely to find a good one for $20. I mean, you''re talking Supercuts prices and those people are just butchers. Put your budget up to $50. If that''s a lot for you, I''d rather have a really good cut less frequently than bad haircuts every six/eight weeks.

What I would do is pay attention to the women around you. If you see someone with a fab hair style, ask who does their hair. It''s worked for me.

KristyDarling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
$20 is kind of a tough budget to work with. $60-70 seems to be more the norm, at least here in San Francisco. I go to Tiffany at Bamboo Salon in Union Square. She charges $70/cut but is very experienced and talented. She REALLY listens to what you want and delivers it instead of improvising what she wants.

eks6426

Ideal_Rock
Even in much cheaper Indiana, I pay $38 for a decent haircut. I could go to places like SuperCuts and pay less and maybe get lucky and find a good stylist. But the turnover in those places would drive me nuts...always having to find a new person. Even getting my 9 year old son''s hair cut costs me a bit more than $20--I think it''s $23 now.

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks, ladies. I guess it was really wishful thinking on my part. I''ve been really doing nothing with my hair for many years, just pulling it up in a ponytail, so that''s why I''m so out of the loop on hair salons. Thanks for the recommendations, Mara, innerkitten, and KristyDarling. I''ll look into those places.

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
One thing I forgot to ask: Are the places that have been recommended, or any of the higher end places, good at assessing the shape of your face, etc., and then choosing for you a style that would flatter you most?

eks6426

Ideal_Rock
Kim--Good luck on your hair cut. Post some before & after pictures.

flopkins

Ideal_Rock
Kim - try Peter Thomas Salon in Berkeley, on Shattuck near Virginia. If you have time and not $$, they are always teaching there and need models, so you can go in and be a model and get a free cut or even coloring, etc... definitely takes a long time, but free!

They have stylists that scale according to how long they''ve worked there, starting at around $35-70 if you want to pay.
2.gif

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks, IslandDreams, and flopkins, thanks for the recommendation. I''ll check that place out.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results