shape
carat
color
clarity

Goldsmith requiring your centerstone 1 week ahead..

ideal5555

Rough_Rock
Hello again,

I am so thankful of this forum and everyone is so educated and full of knowledge about all sorts of diamond related issues :appl: :read:

I don't know how to put this topic into a "subject" but I just wanted to verify a process while making a custom ring...
if it's often true that... if our ring has diamonds on the 4 prongs, the center stone is required to be mounted prior to putting
on the little diamonds on the prongs so that they do not get damaged by the mounting of the centerpiece?

My goldsmith is in process of ring making, has the ring all shaped up but told me I needed to drop off my centerstone for 1 week
for them to first work on the mounting, then put my side diamonds on the prongs...

I was a bit surprized by the change because when I asked them initially, they said they could have everything made first and then on the day of, I could drop off my centerstone for a few hours & it could be mounted right away ... so just that change makes me a little confused... but nothing of panick mode yet :roll:

Thank you kindly again!!!

swingirl

Ideal_Rock
I would want my goldsmith to be able to spend more than just a few hours when making a custom setting with details like pave on the prongs. My setting was custom and my jeweler had the center stone for 6 weeks.

cookies

Brilliant_Rock
I had 4 custom settings done in the past. None of them had pave. The center stones were with the jewelers the whole time. Each project lasted about 6 weeks on average. I trust my jewelers. Otherwise I wouldn't have had them do the custom work.

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
im not surprised actually that they would want the stone in advance, makes sense since you are having pave put on the prongs.

TristanC

Brilliant_Rock
Sounds quite common, MC2 for example is one jeweller who won't even agree to take your commission until After they have received your diamond and inspected it to meet whatever internal standards they have.

They would also review your certificate in advance to check if the diamond "Might" pass muster, then only after they see your diamond in person will they start work. Will be a lot longer than 1 week with them too.

I think this is pretty normal. Does your diamond have a laser inscription and a GIA cert? It makes it easier for you to check if anything fishy went on - for your own peace of mind.

ideal5555

Rough_Rock
THANK YOU kindly everyone for your input!

And for sharing your custom made process with me

Think I now understand the process a lot better and feel a peace of mind :)

TristanC: yes it's AGS laser inscribed so I think you guys are right.

Nothing to worry about :appl:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results