shape
carat
color
clarity

Gold & Diamond Ice Skate?

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I was just thinking fondly of a pair of silver ice skate earrings I had as a child. I've always like ice skate jewelry, but good stuff is few and far between. It's either cheap kiddie stuff or beat-up charms from the 1970s, and they are mostly very small - just under half an inch.

So I was idling around online, wondering if anything is out there, and I just found this.

https://www.allurez.com/snowflake-jewelry/ice-skate-necklace-pendant-diamond-accented-14k-white-gold-0.26ct/pid/31218/567

I wasn't thinking of spending four figures, but it's gorgeous and the only nice one I've seen. What do you think? Anyone bought from Alluerz? I've emailed and asked when the sale ends and if sale items are returnable. Weight is almost 10g, 14k, 0.26 ctw. Ice skate looks high quality to me. Good price? Bad price?

I can wear either white or yellow gold; I probably look slightly better in white metals but there's not much difference. I think yellow gold looks rich and would look lovely with the diamonds, but white gold and diamond is much icier and more skaty!

Do you like it? :)

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's cute! It's probably not something I'd choose for myself but if you like it and think you will enjoy wearing it, it might be worth it to see it in person as long as you can return it. I'm wondering about the quality of the diamonds, there's a possibility they could be included. I can't really address price but it doesn't sound overly expensive to me.

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it's nicely detailed and pretty. I like that it's fully three-dimensional. The price doesn't seem outrageous to me at all. Is it reasonably returnable if you don't like it?

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's much more interesting, and refined, than Roberto Coin's variation on the theme! Bergdorf's was selling these for $750:

robertocoin_iceskate.jpg

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh, wow, I'd try to find the Roberto Coin one if were looking!

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks, everyone! The Coin skate looks lovely, but it seems everywhere is sold out - Bergdorf, Bloomingdale's, Neiman's, Saks, Ross Simon, and the Coin site itself. I do wonder if it might have been a little small, anyway. However, it's difficult to tell from photos and there are hardly any details on the old website pages for the companies that stocked it. The Allurez skate also doesn't have dimensions but it does look about an inch. I've emailed the company to ask. Why, oh why, don't more websites list the dimensions?!

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
junebug17|1459705817|4014929 said:
It's cute! It's probably not something I'd choose for myself but if you like it and think you will enjoy wearing it, it might be worth it to see it in person as long as you can return it. I'm wondering about the quality of the diamonds, there's a possibility they could be included. I can't really address price but it doesn't sound overly expensive to me.

Thanks, Junebug! I always dreamed of ice skating but lived 300 miles from the nearest rink, and my parents weren't the type to undertake something like that, anyway. Ice skating wasn't really big when I was growing up, but I loved following it in the seventies and eighties. I'm glad that I never did it because it looks like a lot of bruises! But I really, really love to watch the skating and I've realized that I tend to express myself through the jewelry I wear. So I like ice skate jewelry even though it's usually skaters who wear it, but there's just not much good stuff around! I'm not worried about the S-clarity as I have quite a few low-clarity pieces. The big question is if it's returnable. I have emailed the company and asked them.

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
VRBeauty|1459713976|4015001 said:
I think it's nicely detailed and pretty. I like that it's fully three-dimensional. The price doesn't seem outrageous to me at all. Is it reasonably returnable if you don't like it?

Thanks, VR! I've emailed the company asking about returns. So we'll see. If it's returnable, perhaps I'll definitely get it just to see, since good quality ice-skate jewelry is hard to find. It's one of those things that I wasn't thinking of getting right now or spending quite so much, but it's come up now and is on sale, soooo....you know? Grab it while you can! I've looked around and most of the ice skate charms around are either small or in bad condition. $1250 isn't a small sum to me, though. Also, I guess you wouldn't wear it in the summer!

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
MollyMalone|1459716758|4015014 said:
It's much more interesting, and refined, than Roberto Coin's variation on the theme! Bergdorf's was selling these for $750:

Thanks, Molly! The Coin one looks nice, but you think the Allurez one is better?

I have no experience with this company.

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
diamondseeker2006|1459719948|4015034 said:
Oh, wow, I'd try to find the Roberto Coin one if were looking!

Thanks, DS! I tried, but no luck. I did find that the Coin one is only 0.09 carat weight. But I think you prefer the Coin one? Could you tell me why? I'd like to see what you see before spending the money on either! Or is it just because a Coin will retain its value better than a non-brand like Allurez? I have no experience with that company - I hope it's OK!

Sadly, it seems the Coin one is sold out, which is a pity as I'd have liked to see it.

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think I would rather spend the money on something that is more classic, but if you love it, go for it! If ice skates have special meaning to you I am sure you would enjoy it when you wore it. It is something you would probably only wear for the winter though, is that right?

I really liked the snowflakes that were on the side of the link you posted!

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Jambalaya|1459731432|4015097 said:
Thanks, Molly! The Coin one looks nice, but you think the Allurez one is better?
I do prefer the Allurez. I especially like the way the little diamonds "march up" alongside the lacings, as if they are the eyelets for the laces; think that's a cunning detail :))

I don't know if you've already come this blog post, but it turns out the RC skate was part of RC's tribute to the 2010 Winter Olympics -- and was in their Tiny Treasures line, so I imagine you would find it too dinky:
http://blog.aglamslam.com/2010/02/22/wear-your-own-piece-of-olympic-gold/

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
canuk-gal|1459734383|4015110 said:
HI:

Not oven remotely close, but skates nonetheless! Or is it too beat up?

https://www.1stdibs.com/jewelry/more-jewelry-watches/more-jewelry/gold-pair-of-ice-skates-charm/id-j_1152142/

cheers--Sharon

Sharon, that's really nice of you to post the skates for me. They're not too beat-up exactly, but the boots are long like the old-fashioned skating boots people used to wear, and I just prefer the shape of the modern short boot. But I really appreciate the suggestion!

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
MollyMalone|1459737763|4015127 said:
Jambalaya|1459731432|4015097 said:
I do prefer the Allurez. I especially like the way the little diamonds "march up" alongside the lacings, as if they are the eyelets for the laces; think that's a cunning detail :))

I don't know if you've already come this blog post, but it turns out the RC skate was part of RC's tribute to the 2010 Winter Olympics -- and was in their Tiny Treasures line, so I imagine you would find it too dinky:
http://blog.aglamslam.com/2010/02/22/wear-your-own-piece-of-olympic-gold/

Thanks, Molly. I guess this explains why it's sold out, being from 2010!

I never thought of the diamonds being like eyelets, but they are. Very cool!

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
luv2sparkle|1459736914|4015124 said:
I think I would rather spend the money on something that is more classic, but if you love it, go for it! If ice skates have special meaning to you I am sure you would enjoy it when you wore it. It is something you would probably only wear for the winter though, is that right?

I really liked the snowflakes that were on the side of the link you posted!

Luv, if you really like the snowflakes, then I think a snowflake you should have.....the sale won't be on forever... :naughty: :naughty:

Ice skates do have a special meaning to me, in that I always wanted to skate but never did. I always thought of an item like this as something a real skater would wear, and probably someone younger too, but for me it could signify that I've always just loved ice skating and that it's an unfulfilled dream. Maybe I can't ever be a skater but I can have a very nice gold and diamond ice skate!

I probably wouldn't wear the ice skate in the height of summer. Not because of style reasons, but probably because I just wouldn't feel like it on a hot day! I can see myself wearing it in late September though, as fall and the hockey season starts, and probably up to the end of April.

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I can't figure out how the chain attaches to the boot. In all the images, it appears to go through the tongue and out the back of the boot, so the skate is held by either side of the ankle. But in this image labeled "Customer Design" next to the line of images, it seems that the chain is just looped through the tongue, which would surely make the skate lie at a weird angle and it looks like the chain isn't placed properly. https://www.allurez.com/snowflake-jewelry/ice-skate-necklace-pendant-diamond-accented-14k-yellow-gold-0.26ct/pid/31219/567

I've emailed them again and asked. This company is going to wake up to a lot of questions about this skate tomorrow!

Hmm, I wasn't planning a purchase like this right now but really posh skate jewelry like this is hard to come by...and I think this is a very posh skate.

ETA: Darn, that link doesn't take you directly to the image, but if you click in "Customer Designs" at the end of the line of images, there's a real photo of the skate in yellow gold sitting in a box. ("Real" as opposed to a photo on that white background with no perspective.) Maybe it's in "Customer Designs" because the person had the idea to loop the chain through the tongue, when really it exits through a hole in the back of the ankle. I hope so, because I don't like the idea of it dangling from the tongue - I think that would look weird!

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sounds like this would be a lovely piece of jewelry with some special meaning for you Jambalaya! I only mentioned the melee because I'm not familiar with this company so I was just wondering about overall quality; chances are they will be fine - I hope it turns out it can be returned so that you can check it out for yourself!

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Jambalaya|1459739168|4015134 said:
I can't figure out how the chain attaches to the boot. In all the images, it appears to go through the tongue and out the back of the boot, so the skate is held by either side of the ankle. But in this image labeled "Customer Design" next to the line of images, it seems that the chain is just looped through the tongue, which would surely make the skate lie at a weird angle and it looks like the chain isn't placed properly. https://www.allurez.com/snowflake-jewelry/ice-skate-necklace-pendant-diamond-accented-14k-yellow-gold-0.26ct/pid/31219/567

I think you are right. Look at the second picture in the main page. The chain hits the other side of the skate too near the border for it to be going through a second hole.

You could get a jeweler to drill a second hole but since the back is lower than the tongue, it would still lie at a strange angle.

Rockinruby

Ideal_Rock
Very cool pendant! I like themed jewelry if it's a hobby or something of significance to the wearer. :appl:

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm having a circular conversation with customer service about exactly how the chain attaches to the boot, in which I've asked the same question four times and am no closer to an answer! The website images have it exiting each side of the top ankle, while the real photo in Customer Designs on the yellow-gold-skate page have the chain looping through the tongue only.

So I asked the question about how the chain attaches to the boot, and they said:

In regards to the chain: there is a hidden bail which would allow the chain to slide through. The pendant would lie on your neck exactly as shown on the pictures: sideways

This doesn't make sense to me - where is the hidden bail? They said:

The hidden bail is hidden inside the top of the boot. There is in fact a little hole on top of the boot where the chain slides through.

I still can't envision it. Where is the hidden bail? And is the "little hole" the hole in the tongue or another little hole opposite?

Sent my fourth email about this question but they're just not describing the chain entry and exit in enough detail. I have no idea where this hidden bail is or what hole they're talking about.

Can anybody make sense of this??

Anyway, the skate is returnable within 30 days of the order being placed and it takes 5 days to make it. I wonder what happens if the order is late. The skate measures 24 x 26mm. I'm assuming the 26mm measurement is the blade length and the other measurement is top of boot to bottom of blade.So it's an inch square. Nice size. The diamonds are on one side only, so I tried to ensure that the skate faces right to an onlooker (from the wearer's point of view, it points toward the left shoulder) but I didn't receive an answer, except a photo that's on the website showing the skate pointing right as you look at the wearer, which is correct. I'm sure they know enough not to make it a backward-facing L shape.

I might just have to order it on trust, since customer service and I seem not to be able to understand each other about the chain, and I'll assume the skate will point to the right as an L shape.

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lady_Disdain|1459770990|4015172 said:
Jambalaya|1459739168|4015134 said:

I think you are right. Look at the second picture in the main page. The chain hits the other side of the skate too near the border for it to be going through a second hole.

You could get a jeweler to drill a second hole but since the back is lower than the tongue, it would still lie at a strange angle.

Thanks, Lady! As you can see above, I'm having some trouble with this aspect of the purchase!

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
junebug17|1459739243|4015135 said:
Sounds like this would be a lovely piece of jewelry with some special meaning for you Jambalaya! I only mentioned the melee because I'm not familiar with this company so I was just wondering about overall quality; chances are they will be fine - I hope it turns out it can be returned so that you can check it out for yourself!

Thanks, Junebug! Yes, it's returnable, but they'd have to make it specially and it seems such a waste if I'm not going to keep it, so I'm asking all the right questions. But it's a bit heavy-going with customer service! I'm sure we've all had the experience of asking a question which just doesn't get answered so you end up asking the question multiple ways to try to get at the answer. In this case, I don't understand why they can't just tell me where on the boot this hidden bail is, or describe accurately how the chain holds the boot!

It does have a special meaning bc I love ice skating and in a way, it's a missed dream, but actually I don't think I would have wanted to live the life that these young skaters do to succeed, even if such a route had been open to me. Also, the skate is an "L" shape which is the initial of my beloved late grandma.

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Rockinruby|1459793802|4015312 said:
Very cool pendant! I like themed jewelry if it's a hobby or something of significance to the wearer. :appl:

I do, too! I'm sure some think that ice skate jewelry is for kids, and maybe it is...but I love ice skates and also ballet shoes for that matter, they are such romantic items. I've never skated in my life but the sport is still significant to me, so yeah, I can wear an ice skate!

I used to know someone who wore gold ice skate studs back in the Seventies and Eighties, and I tried to find some but they just don't exist.

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The person at customer service just refused to understand what I was asking, even when I asked it every way I could think of, so I phoned the company and spoke to someone who immediately and simply answered my question about how the skate was held on the chain. She said there are two holes after all, with one in the tongue and another tiny one in the back of the ankle where the chain slides through. So the skate IS held by either side of the ankle after all, and not the tongue. The other person said that two different photos were correct and was basically talking in riddles. :wall:

I got so frustrated with being willfully misunderstood and being completely unable to get a straight answer to a simple question that I said I would leave the purchase, so the sensible customer service person then offered me another $25 off. I can also get 1.5% off for paying by check in the mail, so the total would be $1,206.

Since the skate is returnable, I think I'll order it. The question is, gold or white gold? :think: I have a slight bias toward white metal and the white is icier and skate-ier. But I've become keener on yellow gold and think it looks rich and buttery - but perhaps a piece this size, an inch square, would still look a little Eighties in YG.

Any thoughts??

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'd "go for the gold" as in yellow gold, Jambalaya. I mean, did you ever see a white gold medal? :naughty:

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Hmmmm...

I would tend to white gold. It seems more wintery and cool, while a large yellow gold skate pendant may seem a little costume jewelry-y.

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
One vote for white, one for yellow....now I don't know what to doooo! I've become much more fond of YG although traditionally I wear white metals, so I'm wary of ordering such a substantial piece in a color I didn't like so much until recent years.

I had to get a very painful abscess in my nose treated tonight - spent the whole evening at the ER. I think I deserve a skate! But which skate...I'm no closer to deciding!

The YG might look a little costumey, but let others think it's costume. Gets me past the "you-paid-how-much?" brigade! The Jewelry Horrification Brigade, composed of people who are utterly horrifed at spending any money at all on jewelry!

I am liking the richness of the yellow gold....but it would be a tragedy if my liking of the color didn't last...I used to prefer white metals and now they look a little boring, so I've done a bit of a switcheroo. But if I buy the YG and then switch back to preferring white, that would be a financial tragedy...Interestingly, although I think I like YG more now, I actually don't reach for my YG pieces as much...

Sorry, just thinking out loud here! The truth is that I can wear either - I'm not overly cool or overly warm in skintone - and I like each for different reasons. I think the YG is very buttery and rich, but when it comes to a large piece, I probably look slightly better in WG.

Argh!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Jambalaya, sorry you had a stressful evening in the ER and I hope you are feeling much better now! I vote white gold for all the reasons Lady Disdain shared. I just think of ice skates as more cool in the color scheme and white and silver are more classic for ice skating and winter sports in general IMO. You aren't wearing a gold medal on your neck after all but an ice skate. However if you prefer yellow gold and how it looks on your skin tone go for it. You cannot go wrong. Listen to your heart. And you deserve it for sure so get it and enjoy. :appl:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results