shape
carat
color
clarity

Going to Banff, Alberta...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

ccuheartnurse

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Hi Guys,

I just wondered if anyone has been to Banff lately? Why I ask, I think my husband & I are heading there end of October (yes, I know it WILL be cold!).
39.gif
But then we can snuggle & be warm.
31.gif
17.gif
Would prefer going to Paris for a week but all the packages end Oct.18th & paying separately will be super expensive. So for the price of airfare alone to France, we can include hotel & air to Banff. I used to live in Banff, OMG 20yrs ago, for the winter/spring season! Boy, time flys! I was a 19-20 yr old, with a lot of distance from my parents (in Toronto) & having the best time of my life.
28.gif
I havent been back since & dont know how the town has changed. What I will never forget is being chased by 2 Elk that must have been high because they usually dont charge humans. LOL Guess me & my roommate were the lucky ones that night! LOL LOL

I''m stuck on 2 hotels, Banff Ptarmagin Inn or the Rimrock Inn. Ptarmagin Inn is in downtown Banff, local to everything & no need to worry about shuttle service or parking. Rimrock is on the side of Sulphur mountain, great views & about a 5 min drive into Banff (complimentary shuttle provided from hotel till 11:30pm). We are also renting a car to go to Jasper, Lake Louise & to check out the local spots. Any thoughts on these 2 places ? Anyone stayed at either or know of anyone that did? Both are about the same pricewise. We arent the stay up till 3am kind of vacationers anyway so chances are we''ll be in bed before the shuttle service ends.
25.gif
41.gif

Also, Air Canada is the same price as WestJet for that timeframe. I have never flown WestJet. Anyone prefer one over the other?

Judy
:)

bar01

Brilliant_Rock
Well - I went in June 2005 for my Honeymoon. Loved it !

http://www.wildnatureimages.com/Banff%20NP.htmhttp://www.wildnatureimages.com/Banff

We stayed two days at Fairmont Chateau Lake Louise (lake view room) and two days at Banff Caribou Lodge (loft room) with view of Mountains. Lake Louise and the hike up to the tearoom (whew, huff, puff...) was wonderful. You can't go wrong - unless it is too cold ! Oh - the best way to see wildlife was on the roads - driving around you would see a bunch of cars pulled over - we saw bears, elk, mountain goats, and more this way.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Cool! Since I live in Calgary, we travel to Banff several times a year, and yes, Oct can be cold!!!! We were in Lake Louise for our 20th anniversary last Sept, and it had snowed already.......hheeehhheee

The Rimrock is a gorgeous Hotel, and the Ptarmagin Inn much smaller scale but equally as comfortable. I don''t know if you are interested in taking in some spa treatments, but the RR has some nice packages.

We''ve flown AC and WJ and they are both good airlines--I suppose you''ll be renting a car at the Calgary airport and driving to Banff and the surrounding areas.

Sounds like fun!

cheers--Sharon

RedRaider

Rough_Rock
We were there almost nine years ago for our honeymoon (Wow! I can''t believe it''s been that long!). We stayed at the Chateau Lake Louise, and it was fabulous! Of course, now that we look back on it, it would have been more fabulous if we had more money... Very young, and just starting our careers...

It was during the Christmas holidays/New Year''s, so the hotel was all decorated for the season, which I think made it even prettier.

Have fun!

~RedRaider

ccuheartnurse

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thanks guys for your responses. Also nice to see that Banff is a popular honeymoon destination also.
36.gif
I''m going to sleep on it tonight, but I have all the info written down. I''m going with Westjet for the flight (have satelite tv in every headrest was probably the biggest plus & larger leather seats). I kept going to the Rimrock page & found as many pics of it as I could so I''m pretty much sure I''m going with it. Expedia has a fall sale for Rimrock & a Superior room is $150 a night. Its a bit more than Ptarmagan cause you get free parking there but Rimrock charges $8 per day. I mentioned it to my brother as he was there in the winter & said that for that little bit more he would stay at Rimrock but he also agreed with you Sharon that Ptarmagin would be very comfortable to stay at. He laughed & said I should book Rimrock cause Ptarmagan has a more lodge like feel. I''m not into the country lodge look. LOL He also said with the shuttle service being available to not worry about being in downtown Banff. Its probably going to be very quiet in October. Sharon, snow in September?!!! I didnt mind going on a cooler vacation this time (we were in Florida end of April & it was hot) but I didnt expect there to be any snow even for Oct. 21st.
7.gif
23.gif
Looks like we''re still going to go though so I better get my long johns out.
39.gif
My husband is so hot natured he''s going to feel like he''s gone to heaven & I''m going to turn into a human popscicle. Would be nice if a Chinook wind came along, LOL, but I think that only happens in the winter. Yes, also renting a car from Calgary. There is too much to see & with everything spread out, this is the best way to do it. The animals are all over too. I remember going to Jasper & stopping to look at some black bears. I know for certain that our trip in the spring, will be a much warmer destination. LOL Most likely the carribean somewhere.

Judy

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Judy, while it is true there could be snow, it usually doesn''t "stay"..but we often enjoy some of the longest and most beautiful fall seasons (we had some 20 C last year)...of course I am biased!!

Do dress for warmth tho.....but one could always just buy some of those wonderful alpaca or cashmere sweaters they have in town.......

Yes, the Ptarmagin is like a lodge (nice and cozy), while the Rimrock is a large and elegant hotel--but your quoted room rate is a STEAL......very fine dning and again the spa is wonderful.....I am jealous just thinking of it...I think with your dates you will be missing the Canadian Thanksgiving crowds.....

Banff is not so large that you cannot walk into town--it is scenic and there is something about the mountain air.........you''ll have fun and altho it isn''t Paris....only Paris is Paris....it is a wonderufl place to go and a sought after vacation destination!!
36.gif

cheers--Sharon

ccuheartnurse

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thanks Sharon for clearing up the snow issue.
6.gif
LOL I just got back from booking our trip & the travel agent also used to live in Banff. It was fun talking to her because she''s 30, & I''m 40, & we both were there when we were 19-20. LOL SAME experiences.
28.gif
She knew what I meant when I said a lot of good stuff comes out of BC.
17.gif
41.gif

I went with The Flight Centre for both & they matched Hotels.ca''s price for the Rimrock. They actually have the cheapest price for Banff Springs at $305 a night but I stuck with Rimrock at $150. I figure we can have a nice meal at Banff Springs for cheaper. LOL So, flight & hotel, with taxes came out to $2138.
36.gif
I also went with Westjet since electronic devices are banned how else will my husband be entertained?
20.gif
So great idea they all have satelite tv in all the headrests.
36.gif
All thats left is to book the car.
10.gif
Come October, I know the cold will wipe that smile right off my face!

Judy

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Judy:

I simply cannot believe those prices--excellent!! My pal and I wanted to attend the Rimrock spa and stay overnight (one night) in May, and for the two of us it would have been $500 each!! Banff Springs was $600 each!! You''ll enjoy both places I am sure, whether it be to stay or dine...and not to forget about Le Boujalais in town, very fine dining....

WestJet is a favorite among us Westerners....my son is enamoured with the headrest thingies......

cheers--Sharon

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Judy, it just wanted to let you know at present it is snowing (slushing) in Calgary; Canmore and Banff having received 4 cms earlier this week. But don''t worry, it will melt and then snow again twice before you get here......
41.gif

cheers--Sharon

ccuheartnurse

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
You better hide those buck teeth! Darn it! I went to www.theweathernetwork.com & they have a search you can do to find out what past yrs weather has been like. I thought I read there wasnt a lot of snow there last year. Now watch it be an OFF year & we dumped on while we''re there! Better keep an eye out for some Sorels. LOL

I finally told my husband last night after sitting on this secret for a month. LOL He had no idea & he was very surprised. I actually had contacted the Tourism Board of Alberta & they sent out a really great package & thats what I was waiting on to present him with. I told him I wanted to go to the spa at Rimrock Inn & he was like,,,,"you want to go to Alberta just for a massage?"
25.gif
I said Yes, while we''re there anyway, why not. LOL Then I pulled out all the confirmation pages & he was floored. Love it! Oh boy, he''s gonna love the fact they have, or might have, snow there. To be honest, Cascade, Rundle & all the other mountains just arent the same unless they are laden with snow caps. Beautiful!

By the way, Expedia just put Rimock Inn down to $136 a night. Buggers! I''m glad I booked though. Back in March, I had been contemplating booking a hotel for Florida, & thought I would wait. Well, the next time I logged in to check it, the price had gone back to normal & was just too expensive to book & we had to find a new place to go to. So....in the end its all good.
9.gif

Thank you for the updated weather forcast, I appreciate it. Now I know that I better go get some bulky sweaters & pull out my 30" suitcase. LOL My Merril''s are already at the door.
28.gif

Judy

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results