color
clarity

GOG VIDEO: Modern RB vs. OEC

Which do you like better?

• OEC

Votes: 1 100.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Piglet9j7

Shiny_Rock
Hello,

I saw this video on Jonathan''s video site. It compares the OEC to a Modern RB. I am trying to make my mind up between the two, and I am wondering what YOUR opinion is regarding these two cuts. Jonathan''s video''s are so informative and can really help define tastes in different cuts of diamonds. Check it out!

Which do you like better: The OEC or Modern RB?

http://www.vimeo.com/3887392

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
I love them both but I prefer the h&a in a round slightly.
Cant really go wrong either way it depends on which you like better.

Sizzle

Brilliant_Rock
They are both gorgeous, but if I had to pick one, it would be the OEC.. just seems to have more visual interst to me. I wonder if they are going to cut it in lower colors. I think it would me amazing in a J/K

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I''m madly in love with the OEC. Such a beauty - I''m very excited to see that they''ll be giving us "new" vintage cuts!

grapegravity

Shiny_Rock
I didn't vote since I like both cuts after I compared my Modern RB with my OEC side by side...

So it's really a personal preference... You'll have to see which one is more appealling to you IRL...

Kelli

Ideal_Rock
I love both, but for an engagement ring, I''m glad I went with a modern round. For me, I wanted the typical "DAZZLING" diamond solitaire, with as much brightness and sparkle as possible. I have seen some older cuts though, that knock my socks off. It''s all personal preference. Have fun shopping and be sure to get what you like the most!

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
I didn''t feel like the video gave a realistic idea of what either of them looks like in real life--it''s just not possible for a single 2-dimensional video to show what you see through two eyes in 3 dimensions. But I bet that new OEC is gorgeous, and I hope Jonathan cuts more of them.

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 3/31/2009 2:26:45 PM
Author: glitterata
I didn't feel like the video gave a realistic idea of what either of them looks like in real life--it's just not possible for a single 2-dimensional video to show what you see through two eyes in 3 dimensions. But I bet that new OEC is gorgeous, and I hope Jonathan cuts more of them.

Appreciate the comments glitter. Not sure if you have had the opportunity to actually see/compare what we've shot vs rl but its the best way we can think of to date and we are able to accurately communicate the visible effects of light leakage/head body shadow/contrast/sparkle patterns etc. As you point out stereoscopic vision will always give that dimensional perspective that monocular vision can't but the good thing is, at least from most consumers who had the chance to view what we've shown was ... the video didn't do it justice. Of course visual comparison in similar lighting is key.

Thanks for your comments. I'm pretty excited about moving forward with this new line.

lucyandroger

Brilliant_Rock
Wow! I love GOG''s new OEC...
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif

I think next time I''m visiting the family on LI, I''ll have to stop by to take a look in person
27.gif

walletnotonfire

Rough_Rock
Jon, will there a price premium for these super well-cut OEC''s relative to GOG H&A rounds? Could you give us a ballpark?

Thanks, walletnotonfire

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/31/2009 3:47:37 PM
Author: Rhino
Date: 3/31/2009 2:26:45 PM

I didn''t feel like the video gave a realistic idea of what either of them looks like in real life--it''s just not possible for a single 2-dimensional video to show what you see through two eyes in 3 dimensions. But I bet that new OEC is gorgeous, and I hope Jonathan cuts more of them.

Appreciate the comments glitter. Not sure if you have had the opportunity to actually see/compare what we''ve shot vs rl but its the best way we can think of to date and we are able to accurately communicate the visible effects of light leakage/head body shadow/contrast/sparkle patterns etc. As you point out stereoscopic vision will always give that dimensional perspective that monocular vision can''t but the good thing is, at least from most consumers who had the chance to view what we''ve shown was ... the video didn''t do it justice. Of course visual comparison in similar lighting is key.

Thanks for your comments. I''m pretty excited about moving forward with this new line.

I''m sorry, Rhino--you''re right, what I wrote was ambiguous. No, I haven''t seen those stones in real life (though I would love to!). I was just commenting in general about how much beauty gets lost on screen vs. in person. I didn''t mean to criticize your videos. They''re certainly helpful, even if real life is better.

I''m very excited about your new line. I''ve been wondering for years why someone doesn''t apply modern cutting techniques to creating chunky-faceted round diamonds like the old cut beauties. And now you''re doing it! That is wonderful news.

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 3/31/2009 5:21:31 PM
Author: walletnotonfire
Jon, will there a price premium for these super well-cut OEC''s relative to GOG H&A rounds? Could you give us a ballpark?

Thanks, walletnotonfire
This was/is certainly a consideration. Since these will be embodying the elements I look for in the most beautiful rounds (precision of the cut combined with top light performance) the yield will be the same as H&A''s which means the pricing should be akin. If it were more I don''t think I would pursue it. I''m willing to test the waters though because I know how incredibe they look when its done right. If I am able to sell them for less, the name of the game here is turning inventory. Thanks for asking.

Kind regards,

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 3/31/2009 5:59:05 PM

I''m sorry, Rhino--you''re right, what I wrote was ambiguous. No, I haven''t seen those stones in real life (though I would love to!). I was just commenting in general about how much beauty gets lost on screen vs. in person. I didn''t mean to criticize your videos. They''re certainly helpful, even if real life is better.

I''m very excited about your new line. I''ve been wondering for years why someone doesn''t apply modern cutting techniques to creating chunky-faceted round diamonds like the old cut beauties. And now you''re doing it! That is wonderful news.
Didn''t take it wrong at all glitter. I do in fact welcome constructive criticism. When I can remember to mention it I also state from time to time in videos the limitations of monocular viewing vs stereoscopic so I totally hear and agree with what you''re saying. We''re seeking out the rough now and making arrangments on that front. Once we acquire it cutting will commence immediately. The facility can cut based on my DiamCalc model too so I am anxious to see what the first batch looks like as I complete minor tweaks to the model. Once again, thank you for your comments and also for clarifying glitter.
1.gif

Kind regards,

mercoledi

Ideal_Rock
I chose the OEC because I''m a fire girl. It depends on the look that you''re going for. And the size, I prefer the OEC in a smaller ( under 1 ct ) stone.

beaujolais

Ideal_Rock
--- They''re certainly helpful, even if real life is better.---

Actually, I like the videos (Almost) better than in person.

You can sit and study them for as long as you want. You get to do this in the quiet, uninterrupted environment of your home as opposed to being in the store with people coming in and out and you worrying about taking up too much of the sellers time. Then you must, of course, show them to the husband/s.o., relatives and friends whom have had already had to watch multitudes of them.
2.gif

Oh, which style - OEC - but you know that.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
I voted OEC!!!!

Moh 10

Brilliant_Rock
Rhino this is great news.
What a beautiful cut!

How nice someone's taking some risks to broaden their range of cuts.
Hope this new line is a big success!

soycoffee

Shiny_Rock
I don''t want to get crucified for saying this--it''s just MHO, but, I don''t really like Hearts and Arrows that much. They just don''t seem very visually interesting to me. They are pretty, though. So, I prefer the OEC''s. I''m very excited about GOG''s "new" old cuts!

beaujolais

Ideal_Rock
Soy, I agree. I don''t like H&A either. Way too predictable.

walletnotonfire

Rough_Rock
If cost is a moot point, I wouldn''t mind a little OEC expt... if you know what I mean! They''re beautiful!

walletnotonfire

Date: 3/31/2009 6:21:25 PM
Author: Rhino
Date: 3/31/2009 5:21:31 PM

Author: walletnotonfire

Thanks, walletnotonfire

This was/is certainly a consideration. Since these will be embodying the elements I look for in the most beautiful rounds (precision of the cut combined with top light performance) the yield will be the same as H&A''s which means the pricing should be akin. If it were more I don''t think I would pursue it. I''m willing to test the waters though because I know how incredibe they look when its done right. If I am able to sell them for less, the name of the game here is turning inventory. Thanks for asking.

Kind regards,

tberube

Brilliant_Rock
All I have to say is:

"hooray!!"

Finally, the chunky faceted diamonds have gotten popular enough to become branded! I HIGHLY prefer diamonds with large or chunky facets. I think it's wonderful!
36.gif
36.gif

The OEC in the video did seem, to me, to be a bit less "chunky" than the OECs I've experienced (and fallen deeply in love with) in my travels, so I'm not sure if it's cut similarly or if it's some kind of transition between the old-fashioned OEC and today's RB...either way I'm glad that a move is being made, once again, toward the broader facets and bigger fire that diamonds can dazzle us with.

tberube

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/31/2009 7:41:18 PM
Author: sonomacounty
Soy, I agree. I don''t like H&A either. Way too predictable.

I agree too. I''ve never been among the majority of people who love modern round brilliant diamonds. They''re just too perfect and manufactured for me. I like my gems to be a bit more "one of a kind". NOT to say that I don''t respect the beauty of a RB, of course...that should go without saying.
1.gif

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ohhhhhhhh, Jon!!!!! Yikes, I thought I had decided not to trade my perfect diamond. But you are now tempting me for sure! If these new OEC''s have perfect symmetry with the larger facets, I might not be able to resist!
30.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results